Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Don't be afraid to negotiate with Sirius-XM when you sign up for service after your free trial period. I was just able to get a year's service for $77.00.

I got my free three months' subscription with the purchase of the car, and it ran out in September. I did not renew, and about a month later I got an offer from XM to renew for three months at $4.99 per month. I took them up on that, and that subscription just ran out. I was going to cancel again, but they offered me another three months for $4.99 per month. I asked if there was a longer-term special deal, and the lady said I could get a one year subscription for $77.00, and that sounded good to me.

I really enjoy my XM Radio ... well, I guess it is Sirius-XM Radio now. I have pretty much locked in on the 50s channel, which plays songs from the late 50s and early 60s.

One thing you must be aware of is that the subscription continues to be active after the special deal expires, and you will be billed for the full price for service received after the end of the special deal period. I will have to pay a pro-rated fee for January 3 though January 15 plus the $77.00 that will keep my account active until January 16, 2010. I knew that my three month special deal should have expired by now, but I didn't know exactly when it did. I got an invoice in the mail that told me that I was now paying the full monthly fee. Apparently, my special three month deal ended January 2, 2009, but my service was continued at the full monthly rate.

Tom
  • My sister in law has had a lot of trouble with her 2005 Cobalt.
    This past week the Transmission went out.
    The car has about 60k miles.
    Cost of repair (approx $3k) will almost be 1/2 of it's market value.
    I checked for recalls - none were Transmission related.
    What can and/or should she do ?
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    With the deals they have going nowadays, it might be a good idea for her to investigate trading it in on a new one, even though she would get a very low trade-in allowance with the transmission being like it is. There are some KILLER deals out there, and it might make more sense to trade rather than invest $3000 in that car.

She would have something that is under warranty, if she gets a new one.

Tom
  • The new Cobalts also have a 100k Powertrain warranty. I would talk to the Zone office about the transmission. If you have met the maintenance recommendations, bought the car new, and patronized the local dealer they may help with the cost of a transmission. Perhaps also the transmission can be repaired or rebuilt. Don't just take the word of one dealer or repair place. It is very rare for a transmission to fail at 60k miles unless it was abused and I would think that Chevrolet might help you. Don't just turn the car in. It might be worth more on Ebay for somebody's parts car. If you fix the transmission or replace it and can realize the cost when you sell it privately you might be ahead. You'll get auction price for the car even if it is in perfect shape if you turn it in. It is worth a thousand or so to put an ad in the paper.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Get some other estimates. This could be a simple fix. Some shops are nortorious for lying to customers about what is wrong. I don't recall the name of the transmission chain, but about 10-years ago they were busted by undercover investigators for claiming cars had bad transmissions when it was something minor or they didn't do any work at all other than plugging in a lose wire connector.

GM's are known for excellent transmissions/engines, that is why companies such as Jaguar, Lincoln, BMW, Rolls Royce, and many others have used them. GM currently sells 6-speed transmissions to BMW among others.
  • On p. 56 of the current CR is a list of small car ratings. Cobalt is third from the bottom. For the life of me I can't figure out what in hell is wrong with the Cobalt. I have about 3,000 miles on my 2009 LT1 Coupe with no problems at all. 22-24 around town and as much as 38 on the road. Rides like an Impala. Plenty of foot, head, and shoulder room. CD storage space in the console could be better but all in all it is a good car. The first two cars in their small car test - Honda Fit and Suzuki SX4 have choppy rides but they like them because of reliability. To me ride is everything. I could care less about power,and long term reliability. I want adequate room inside and, a good ride. Cobalt offers both along with good gas mileage. I may cancel my subscription to CR. I'll tell them that my bird died and he liked to read CR in his cage so I don't need the magazine anymore.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,464
    I think Volvo was in the group for transmissions--might have been before Ford bought it. I recall touring the AC compressor factory here in Dayton (Harrison) and having them tell what vehicles they made AC compressors for. It was impressive. This was at least 15 years ago.
  • steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    I don't get that either. My Cobalt isn't the best car in its class but it sure as heck is better than a Kia Rio or Spectra!
    Does your Coupe have the 15 or 16 inch tires?
  • My aunt bought a 2009 Cobalt Sedan LT.
    She picked it up last week. Today she said that if the front wheels aren't straight the car won't start.
    I told her that it was impossible. What the heck could prevent a car to start if the wheels aren't straight?
    She called a towing and told the man why the car wouldn't start, he laughed, he put the wheels straight and at his surprise... it started. The car is now at the dealer.
    I just can't figure this one out?
    The only thing I can think of is maybe the wheels weren't locked and moving the steering wheel made them lock properly. The car won't start otherwise.
    They will probably change the sensor.
  • Would like a website to purchase some side molding for my base model cobalt. Would like to pimp it up a little to make it look like a ss version. (I wish)
    thanks

Is #2 in chrome what you're looking for? I found this on gmpartsdirect under front door and then trim.

I'd also suggest rockauto.com
  • Mine has the 15" tires. I made the mistake of buying it off the lot. If I had ordered it I would have gotten the LT2 with 16" tires and the Pioneer speakers. I wouldn't have wasted money on remote start or the spoiler.
    Well, Discount Tires is always running specials on wheel and tire packages, although I found the car to ride better on the 15's.
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    I currently own a 2007 LTZ sedan, and the headlights have a real sharp cutoff. Obviously this has been an issue since the day I bought it, and it was not a deal breaker. The question I have is has anyone replaced the light bulbs and have you had better results? Any info would be helpful
  • I like the way mine rides. Glad I got the 15" tires then. I've always had cars with 16" tires and this car rides the same as my 2006 Impala did. Actually I prefer this to the Impala. Seats are far better.
    Thats good to know. If I get new Cobalt to replace my '06 I am going to go for the 15 inchers.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Posts: 299
    If you have a rattle in the steering column -it mostly shows up on ripply roads or gravel - see your dealer. If you hear a slight noise when you turn the wheel a little it is the same problem. The dealer will replace the steering column. Our dealer says that he has done a number of Cobalts and it took a week to get the parts in so this must be a common problem. Apparently the tech can confirm the problem by removing a fuse that has to do with the electric steering.
  • laserbluelaserblue Posts: 313
    Anyone knows if there are some big changes in store for the 2010 Cobalt?
  • tcaloftcalof Posts: 29
    The 2010 Cobalt will have NO changes. The Cobalt is at the end of its life schedule. It will be replaced during 2010 by the 2011 Cruze. The Cruze is the focus of GM's small car restructuring.
    The Cobalt has just been there since 2005 and it's going to be already replaced after 5 years of existence? A great car like that pushed aside for a new model or version?
    G.M. is really looking for more problems or what?
    GM is run by a bunch of blockheads. They change car names like they're changing underwear.
    The worst part is that the Cobalt now has a tuner community and they're killing the nameplate. Even worse is what they're changing it to-
    Cruze. The dumbest name in the business. Sounds like it was named by The Village People.
    There are a lot of names out there worse than Cruze. Actually Cruze to me is not bad. It better than being identified by a number or letter or some other crazy name.
    What car did you buy?
    I bought a Cruze.
    Sorry, but i find the name to be moronic. At least Cobalt was tough sounding.
    > bought a Cruze.
    >Sorry, but i find the name to be moronic

Hmmm. I personally think that's a good-sounding name.
    Maybe we should check on Fit, Civic, Accord, Camry, yaris, Venza, 4-runner, Prius. Those all sound lame to me if Cruze is going to be criticized.

I don't think criticizing names is a ski slope to go down here.
    Can someone tell me what's the best way to store 4 winter tires till next year (the tires are off the rim). I see people store them different ways. There must be only 1 good way to store them for so long?
  • de1029de1029 Posts: 52
    Has anyone posted anything about this GM recall? Seems the two do not mesh perfectly and car might roll after you put the car in park and put on the emergency brake.
    He just sounds mad that they are going to stop making the Cobalt after the 2010 model run. Also the recently stopped producing the turbo's.

Cruze is an attractive name. Chevy Cruze; Chevrolet Cruze. It just sounds right. Lets go for a cruise (Cruze) tonight.

Gee, the Mercury Zephre, Benz C20, Ford Taurus/Ford 500, VW Tourag, sound good. Event Chrysler uses PT Cruiser for their retro van which isn't to bad accept for the PT.
    Store them flat off the concrete.
    Its an idiotic name, IMO.
    Check GMInsidenews.com, they had a Poll and the vast majority favored keeping the Cobalt name. More people preferred they change it to Nova then Cruze.