Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    They need to add VVT to the 2.2L also.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I went to GM's autoshowinmotion.com and drove a Cobalt LT auto with XM. The car was very nice and quiet. Acceleration was more than I could ask for with the 2.2 engine, very responsive pickup. It handled very well and was very comfortable to drive. I don't understand how an auto writer could say it needed more engine, for what. In my opinion there is no reason to have a higher horse power engine for this kind of car unless you are racing. It moves real good and is a pleasure to drive.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    140hp is not class leading any more but it's still up there. It's more power than anyone really needs in a compact.
  • 1) I am not quite ready to go test-drive yet, but in your opinion is the 2.4L 170hp SS coupe worth the extra bucks over the 2.2L 140hp coupe? Can you feel the extra 30hp? Both engines are claimed to have the same MPG - hmm...
    2) When can we expect to see a Convertible Cobalt? Not sure if it's easy to make one, but it sounds nice.

2FastDre.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    " 1) I am not quite ready to go test-drive yet, but in your opinion is the 2.4L 170hp SS coupe worth the extra bucks over the 2.2L 140hp coupe? Can you feel the extra 30hp? Both engines are claimed to have the same MPG - hmm...
    2) When can we expect to see a Convertible Cobalt? Not sure if it's easy to make one, but it sounds nice. "
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~end quote~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1) No
    2) That is called the Solstice. Base Solstice, plus air $21K plus or minus $1K depending on if you need it now, or later on. Dealers may pile on extra side sticker prices, so be prepared to smile, laugh and walk away. A convertible would be too close or the same as a Solstice in price and look nothing close to as good.

Loren
  • 2) However, the Solstice is a 2-seater and a Cobalt Convertible would probably be a 4-seater. The Solstice does look very good.

2FastDre.
    You wouldn't want to be in the back seat with the top down!
    The resale on an econo car convertible is not all that good.
    It is usually a lose - lose situation to buy one.

The Mustang convertible may be a best option. Also there
    are lots of used Sebrings. I personally would never own a
    convertible without a roll bar. Another option is to win the
    lottery, then buy a BMW or Mercedes convertible. :shades:

Loren
  • Good point. I would love to have a Mustang GT Conv! But that car is crossing into $30K price range. Of course, Ferrari 430 Conv would be a good buy for my lottery money. ;)

2FastDre.
  • jossojosso Posts: 1
    I have an Alero with the same engine as Cobalt. Trust me, changing the oil/filter in the Cobalt is a BREEZE, almost a pleasure. The oil filter is a cylindrical paper element that "clicks" into a soda-can sized hollow component with a screw top on the top of the engine.. It's quite accessible. Very little mess. I was skeptical at first but it's light years ahead of the old metal filter. Dealers should stress this feature, a big selling point. :)
    Caddy XLR or Vette.
    " Caddy XLR or Vette "

The person wanted a back seat, so those two are a non-starter.
    That is why I suggested a Mustang or Sebring. An a V6 is not too expensive.

Wonder why people would pay that much for an XLR, when a Vette
    is a better car for less money. If I want chisel look, I would go CTS.
    With extra cash on hand, the CTS-V. For a sports car, in the GM
    line, the real deal Corvette.

Loren
    I know they are built on the same chassis but I don't think a Vette is a better car unless you are talking performance and sports car styling. What is the difference in spending $80,000 for a Mercedes Benz, Lexus, Cadillac, or any other high-end two door coupe. Too me they are all over-priced, but for that money catagory the XLR is just as good as the others. In fact the Caddy almost dethroned the Mercedes in one road test (Road & Track?). I think this car is considered by many to be the benchmark for high end touring coupes, other than maybe Mercedes. There is no reason an American company can't have a car priced out of reach of most consumers like the German and some Japanese auto manufactures do. This is an exclusive field generally for people who value image before anything else.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    I came here looking for something called a "Cobalt." Anybody hear of 'em?

Meade
  • I got my Cobalt back yesterday from the auto body shop - minus a repaired passenger side mirror. Anyone have suggestions on action to take when GM doesn't have replacement parts? A friend of mine told me it's illegal for them to not have parts. I am on a waiting list with 20 other people and theyre saying they think it will ship in November.

Thanks! :mad:
  • Meade- it's obvious you're out of touch with the current car market!

The Cobalt is often cross-shopped with Mercedes-Benz and Cadillac products. :P
  • Go to the dealership when they are closed and "borrow" the needed part from another Cobalt;)

That does seem like a long time to get a part though.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Go to the dealership when they are closed and "borrow" the needed part from another Cobalt ;)

Hey, don't think that's necessarily a joke! I needed a set of plug wires for my '92 Protege once, and my service writer, finding that the parts department was out of them, disappeared and came back with a set in his hands from a new Protege out on the lot. "We'll warranty that one," he said with a chuckle as he popped my hood and installed them himself.

Meade
  • I'd love to do that...but I didn't take my car to a GM dealership...I took it to a shop owned by close friend's parents...a co-worker does have a friend who works at a local chain of dealerships who is going to find out if she can get the part for me, but I'm not counting on it. The fact that the Cobalt's have inserts on the mirrors that coordinate with the body color make it that much more complicated I think. At least the car's driveable...but to be honest, I'd rather try to figure out a way to get out of my lease! Cobalt's nice, but after driving an Envoy as my rental, it's been hard to go back!
  • 1- if you really want to get out of your lease, do it. If you leased through GMAC, you can have someone take over your lease. There is a $595 fee for the new lease. Leasetrader.com has listings for this.

2- If you can get the part off of the car that you need to replace you may be able to get the new part yourself. Find the part number on the damaged part - all GM parts have numbers on them somewhere. Go to GMpartsdirect.com and see if they have your part. They are usually cheap and ship quickly.

Do you need the whole mirror assembly? The inserts may be a piece that you could pop out and use on the new mirror?

Just some thoughts.
  • My last car was an Alero. I liked the car except for:
    a)The gas mileage wasn't what I had hoped
    b)The breaks/rotors seemed to wear out WAY too quickly.

So how are the brakes and rotors :confuse: on the Cobalts?