Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    A Cobalt SS, not supercharged, is a bargain - if you tried to boost the horsepower after market on the regular version, or improve the handllng, you'd pay much, much more than the small price difference between an LT and the SS. That doesn't even take into consideration the upgraded interior, etc.

I fall into the same age category. 50 isn't old and I know people in their 20's who treat cars as appliances - anything will do - and people in their 50's who love cars. And vice versa. Given the many changes in trends and outlooks in the past 50 years, why type-cast?

BTW I got the base model, LS Coupe, with a stick shift and it is a lot of fun to drive! All Cobalts come with 5 year, 60,000 mile power train warranty, in addition to the usual 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. That's a better deal than the Ford Focus.

Be forewarned that the small rear windows on the coupe don't make it easy to look over your shoulder to check for traffic, but you'll get used to it.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I am 42-years-old and I plan on getting the LT four door after careful consideration of the SS. The SS has 17" wheels with the low profile tires. Though this is a nice sporty ride, I prefer the smoother ride of the LT. Just my opinion.
  • cobalt2cobalt2 Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new cobalt. About 2 mo ago. It is one of the niceest cars. It handles great has good power the power stearing is electric so no power is taken form the car. The stearing responds just like normal stearing. I have the 2 door coupe with the 2.2 it performs well. The car is quite it is made with GMs Quite steel Its a sharp car. Good choice of cars. I am 53 Years old. After I got my car my son drove it and went out and also got a 2006 cobalt he is 20. This car appeals to every age group .
  • rlangerlange Posts: 2
    I bought this car in August 2005 for my daughter to take to college. She drove it from Indianapolis to Chicago the third day after we got it and was stranded in Chicago because the car wouldn't start. She got it started and drove it home, 150 mile trip, it used 2 tanks of gas to get back. The dealership replaced the ignition coil modules on the number 1 and 4 cylinders. The problem persists today, however not a bad, it only stutters sometimes and gets around 23-25 miles per gallon instead of 30mpg as advertised. We just had another Ignition Coil Module replaced, but it still has issues. I'm writing this in hope of locating others with the same issue. Anyone out there with the same issue, drop me a reply. Indiana Lemon Law requires four attempts by the dealer to repair the problem, only one more to go! Thanks
    This is a new one for this forum.
  • rkenngottrkenngott Posts: 2
    Where do I start with my 2005 cobalt????First...sorry I bought the car and sorry I didn't hang on to my 13 year old car with minimum problems for a 13 year old car? Yes. Problem with the key not coming out of the ignition....a/c leaking into passengers side of the car....headlamps retaining alot of moisture....idiot light for emergency brake blinking on and off. No power for the a/c....not giving cold air.....In florida you kind of need that....Oh year...car was fixed thursday pm....brought back following day for additional repairs.In shop 4 times in two MONTHS! Where is my 13 year old car now?
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Wow, that sounds like my last two Oldsmobiles. Didn't know they still had multiple problems like that in short time. Really thought they had turned the corner as of 2002. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
    -Loren
  • First I'd like to say for my second car I am rather impressed. My first car was a 2003 Chevy Cavalier VLX. Some would say anything is better than a Cavy, but 76000 KM in 2 years of city driving, two accidents (not of my own) and I have NEVER had a problem with it.

Now for my Cobalt. First off, I am not a small guy either, built large and 5'11" not all Sedans (the Cobalt is industry rated as a Sedan, a sub compact is a Colt or Toyota Yaris) and I fit nicely into the car. I do a lot of highway driving and the car is very comfortable for me.

The ride is amazing, worlds above the Cavy, and many other vehicles I have taken a ride on the hwy in due to the Cobalt Delta frame. (I have done a lot of research, its the same frame used on the Pontiac G5 Persuit, the Saturn Ion, HHR, and a few others.) Good features, and decent performance.

I have upgraded a few engine components (K&N Air filter, yes it does make a difference! Good Airflow is important and the K&N allows the 2.2 Ecotec to breath, it needs it!)
    And a Purolator Performance oil filter using a synthetic filter for better oil flow).

Mileage is great (I live in Canada so everything I post here is in km.) City driving im getting 8.0L per 100KM, and 6.8L per 100KM Hwy. Which is on par to advertising claims and in the case of city driving, better.

As a note for Oil Filters, do not use FRAM oil filters, they or poorly constructed and cheap! The overflow/backflow valve do not work properly and allow dirty oil to enter the clean oil of your engine.

The only complaint I have is I do get a rough idle after extremely heavy acceleration and breaking. I like to take advantage of this cars 0-60MPH at 7.10 seconds.

I believe the idle problem is a bad ignition coil, but I am unable to find the problem with my code reader (nor can the dealership).

As for the -

"Where do I start with my 2005 cobalt????First...sorry I bought the car and sorry I didn't hang on to my 13 year old car with minimum problems for a 13 year old car? Yes. Problem with the key not coming out of the ignition....a/c leaking into passengers side of the car....headlamps retaining a lot of moisture....idiot light for emergency brake blinking on and off. No power for the a/c....not giving cold air.....In Florida you kind of need that....Oh year...car was fixed Thursday pm....brought back following day for additional repairs. In shop 4 times in two MONTHS! Where is my 13 year old car now?"

Let’s start with the AC issue. It is a known problem. When the 2005's were made, a programming error in the equipment at the factory OVER FILLED the A/C Lines. When they got hot from use (and being in Florida) they would burst/leak aka stop working. This is because the coolant gases expand and overpresure the system and can cause seals to leak and even cause the cars computer to shut the car down to prevent leaks or line bursts. Take it to the dealership!!! They'll fix that. Key not coming out of the ignition, make sure the vehical is in park/neutral. Or depress the break, or if you have LOCKED your steering column before you take the key out try turning it a little. The ignition design prevents you from taking your key out until it is SAFE to do so. Please read your manual, they put it in your car for a reason.

Oh, as for the headlights fogging, during winter (and when my lights are on, producing heat) I get no fogging. Have you checked to make sure that you don’t have any stone chips or cracks causing extra moisture (aka RAIN water) to get in? Sounds to me like all you want to do is find all that wrong with it. Try looking at it from the glass is half full perspective. And some cars (even though they can be a 100k $ car can still be :lemon: 's)

I give this car two thumbs up!
    I am 23 years old and will hold onto this car until I drive it into the ground! :)

Another interesting fact, the Chevy Cobalt is the number 2 selling vehical in North America, only surpased by the Impala. They gota be doing something right! :)
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    Well I finally test drove a 2006 Cobalt LT with the Sport Pkg. I must say I was very impressed. Quiet ride, good handling, the engine power seemed to be fine. Responsive transmission, and the steering was fine too. Overall this car is now very high on my list.
  • rkenngottrkenngott Posts: 2
    no.....I'm not trying to find all that is wrong with the car....trying to find something right with it. I work hard for my money and expect a decent car for the money I pay for it. I agree it has a smooth,comfortable ride...great on gas....of course you need that but yes....I do take it to the dealer for repairs...point being I shouldn't have to.Do you work got GM? I'm a woman and not a stupid one. Was told by dealership headlamp is Supposed to collect moisture? Ok so that means that the one not collecting moisture should be fixed right? The key wouldn't come out of the ignition....couldn't even put it into gear...Shift control assembly was shot.Twice? Two thumbs up? I have one
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    Hello fellow canadian. I live in this winter country myself and I posted a couple of times to know how the cobalt handles in winter driving but I didn't have to much replies. I'm looking forward to buying one(coupe LT or SS) but my only concern is driving a cobalt in winter. I'm used to drive S.U.V.'s and Vans. I'm a little scared.
    The only reply I got was from Michigan and they didn't have to much snow last winter. So...
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Almost ANY front wheel drive car (the Cobalt is one) will handle excellently in snow WITH snow tires. Without snow tires, how any fwd car handles snow depends on that particular all season tires winter performance. BUT Consumer Reports did a test and snow tires blow away the best all season tires in winter.
    Well enough moisture in the headlamps, and you can add some gold fish. :surprise: That would psych-out the service dept. Hope they get your car straighten on out.

My last GM was an Acheiva, and it was in say around eight times before the bugs got worked on out. After the few months to do that, all went fairly well, compared to the first three. I guess I had it say five years. It started to take on water around the driver side footwell, and a couple of other things, so I dumped it. It was not too bad to live with overall between those years. And hopefully the 21st century compact cars by GM are better than the '70's thru '90's.

Can you take it to another dealer in your area? Sounds like the one you have taken your car to was full of B.S. on the headlamp issue.

Wish you better luck in the future.
    -Loren
    Subaru AWD, if you are real concerned about snow sledding along the highways and by-ways.
    -Loren
    Never heard of the headlight moisture issue with this car. It would have to be either a cracked lense or bad gasket.

The air conditioning issue is a known one in the first year Cobalts, unfortunately.

I wish I had saved the article, but a local newspaper auto writer says most of the time when there is a hard time getting the key out of the ignition it is related to the ignition solenoid getting wet from coffee or soda spilling from the cup holder down into the transmission solenoid. I don't know how common this happens.
  • Hello, I didnt mean to insult your intelegence... woman or man we are all equal. So I am sorry if I did. I would try another dealership if your current one is giving your problems. I have had great success with mine, I am sorry to hear about it.

The shift control does have a problem when liquids get spilt into it. I have read here and on a few other forums.. they did correct that issue for the 2006 models. I have had my friend spill TWO Slurpee' in it (needless to say hes not allowed to have drink or food in my vehical any more) and I have not had any problems with liquid.

The headlights I must agree is a crack or a poor gasket seal.
  • Handles great in the winter. Dont know where you are located, but here (winnipeg) we had an amazing storm this past November and there must have been 3 - 4 feet of snow overnight. I was able to push my way along.. a few times it was close to being stuck, but that wonderfull Snow tire helps alot.

It being a front wheel drive does help.. many times I would see one of those "I drive a big 4x4" guys stuck because they got cocky, I drove right by them ( i did help but you know what i mean ) :P
  • kato1kato1 Posts: 64
    "Another interesting fact, the Chevy Cobalt is the number 2 selling vehical in North America, only surpased by the Impala. They gota be doing something right!"

yeah, they are doin something right. THEY ARE UNLOADING BOATLOADS OF CARS TO RENTAL COMPANIES. even though domestic automakers are trying to cut down dependence on fleet sales, they've got a long way to go.

The top ten fleet vehicles sales for 4TH QUARTER OF 2005:

10: Chrysler PT Cruiser
    09: Chevrolet Cobalt
    08: Dodge Caravan
    07: Pontiac G6
    06: Dodge Stratus
    05: Pontiac Grand Prix
    04: Hyundai Sonata
    03: Ford Taurus
    02: Chevrolet Malibu
    01: Chevrolet Impala

the impala and cobalt are both in the top 10, so of course they have a great deal of sales. 5 of top 10 are GM.

additionally, domestic automakers depend on fleet sales for 30% of total sales, and you can see how dependent gm is (particularly chevy with 3 top ten's). last i read, honda depends on less than 8% of sales being fleet and toyota under 10%.

of course, besides historically poorer reliability, this is a big reason for resale values being driven down on domestic vehicles.

the big 3 must cut their dependence on fleet sales, as it isnt nearly as profitable per car as private sales.
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    Forgot to mention it, I was born in Ottawa Ont. and crossed the river to Gatineau Que. because of my work. But deep inside I'm still a Canadian and I'm proud of it. Thank you very much for your reply.
    The shift solenoid problem is not just a GM thing.