Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    I later noticed that the automatic has an EPA highway rating of only 32. That's in the range of some much larger vehicles with bigger engines. Even some V6s.
    I don't want to deal with the 5 speed in traffic and the more difficult resale of a stick shift sedan.
    I haven't seen anyone post their mileage experiences in the Cobalt fuel economy forum here. Only stick shift owners posted there.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Based on its size I would imagine you would get 36-38 mpg. with the auto.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    I think that would make sense, except that owners are not reporting mileage like that.
    Maybe I'll see if I can find on at a rental agency and rent it for a day to see much gas it uses.
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,744
    You'd probably get that if it was downhill both ways.
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    If you were me, which one would you get, a Cobalt coupe LT or an SS (not supercharged). I know that the standard options are not the same and the price is different between the two of them. What is the best value for your money? and Why would you choose one than the other?
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    10-years-ago I probably would have liked the LTZ or SS but now the 4-door LT would be the one for me. I like the ride of the LT which is a combination of smooth for its size, yet still firm enough without squeling the tires around corners.
  • Hi...

Doesn't anyone out there agree that perhaps GM should start moving into the 21st century finally by including stability control with its line of small vehicles, such as the Cobalt and Pontiac G5 for example? Traction control is fine, but it's sooooooo yesterday in terms of evolution for this model line. Providing electronic stability control, as an option at least, would definitely set this machine apart from all the others at this price point. Honda, Toyota, Nissan...all good at what they produce, but none have provided ESC for their smaller machines. GM...are U listening????????????????? The Corolla with ESC is VERY hard to come by!

Plus...I like the look of the Cobalt, and would consider purchasing one, but the one "fly in the ointment" (so to speak) is the Consumer Reports rating for it, claiming it ain't bad but way below, almost bottom of the barrel, in terms of dependability/reliabilty. Ok, that's their spin on it, but how could a machine that is sooooooo poor, according to CR and others, be such a great seller for Chevy? Many out there seem to dig it, and I see quite a few of them around. What gives? I'm hip to the fact that the Cobalt is easy to buy and service, considering the many Chevy dealers there are coast to coast. If it is such a poor machine then why do so many purchase, and keep purchasing them time and time again? Hmmmmmmm...

I see that this particular thread hasn't seen much action lately. Oh well...

Happy Holidays... :shades:

Peace! ;)
    I don't know how old you are my friend but... In my younger days G.M had a little car named Chevrolet Chevette and Pontiac Acadian. Like the Cobalt and G5 they were cheap to buy as a first brand new car. You could see them everywhere, on the streets and in the repair shops. Famous brake problems 2-3 sets a year and that's with normal driving.(and that's only naming one problem) They didn't look sporty like the Cobalt but they were cheap to drive until you stated having problems 1 to 2 years after you bought it. At that time G.M. warranty was 1 year or 12000 miles. That's were they made their money.
    Is history reapeting itself with the Cobalt?
    Three years after purchasing a Cobalt it's going to start falling apart?

Like you said Hmmmmm...
  • I wouldn't put to much importance on CR reports. My last 2 auots were cars that CR trashed a 85 Cutless and a 94 Cavalier. The Cutless I sold with 171,000 miles on it running with average repairs and the Cavalier had 184,000 and running great. Why are so many Cobalts sold because people don't listen to these reviews and go on price. I own a 2006 Cobalt with 24,600 miles on it and only had 1 problem with it ( the shifter assemby was changed because of key problems) other than that it's needed nothing but oil changes.

I believe this car will stand up to anything in it's price range made today.
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,744
    It's all a question of price. GM's goal has been to increase the avg price point of their transactions. I beleive that it's worked well for some cars such as the Impala but with the Cobalt it comes down to what do you want for your 12 grand? You can get a Civic with a stick and no a/c or PW or you can get a Balt with that stuff.

You see alot of Malibus but it's not because it's a good car. They're attocious but what else are you going to buy for 15 grand?
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    A KIA Spectra. Problem is, they're too reliable - Chevy buffs would miss the "involvement" they associate with Mexican-made iron...
  • Chevy has not had the best reputation, but up until yesterday I owned 3.
    1. 2005 Cobalt
    2. 2005 Colorado
    3. 1997 Cavalier

All three were purchased in 2005; the Cobalt in April, the Colorado in June, and the Cavalier in August. At the time my husband worked as a sales consultant for a Chevy dealer.

The Cavalier was purchased to give to my mother when she gets her license (which she hasn't gotten yet)so the car has sat in storage for almost 2 years and we go out and start it and it fires right up. Great Car!!!!

The Colorado was purchased as an economical decision with soaring gas prices. Dodge Ram or Chevy Colorado? Great little truck!!!!! minus the recent recall on the brake lights??????

We have been pleased with both cars.........

Then there is the Cobalt with numerous problems arising once it hit between 12-15 thousand miles (basically within the last year) The car has spent more time parked at the dealership then in my drive way for my use. I traded it in for Sebring Convertible when the Cobalt had only 20,000 miles on it yesterday.

I really would not reccommend this car .... my husband sells cars and he wouldn't reccommend this purchase to anyone. He sold the Cobalt to me when I bought it and we have spent this past year trying to find a way for me to get out of the car and deal with the negative equity that the car incurred so I wouldn't have an out of site car payment.

If you are in the market for a small car buy something else .... Hyundai Accent, Ford Focus, etc.. Don't buy a Cobalt .... you may regret it.
  • People dig it because its a pretty little car. Kind of like some people -- they seem to have great personalities or be reliable. Then after a couple years and some wear on the tires the truth comes out. I believe lemons exist ... but if consumer reports is giving bad marks you may want to listen after all it is a CONSUMER REPORT!!
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    Yes, it is a consumer report. My question was, is and always will be: What is a red dot? A black dot? How many "reports" get you a black dot? With JD Power, you get a rote figure (102 problems per 100 cars or 1.02 per car). Now, is a broken knob the equivalent of a blown engine when they count problems, I don't know, but I'd rather take a real number and form my OWN opinion as to a car's reliability, than to trust CU to take those numbers, and give me their opinion, because I have to trust that their opinion is truely unbiased, even though it is human nature to have youor own likes and dislikes about a particular brand, model, etc.
    I was wondering if the "cloth seats" in the Cobalt do the same as those in the Chevrolet Equinox. They easily get stained (even with water). I'm about to buy a Cobalt but I wonder if I should get the cloth or leather seats. What do you have in yours? and, Are you satisfied with them? Comfortable?
  • gman55gman55 Posts: 5
    After reading the last couple of pages here I would like to give my two cents worth.

- Bought my LS Coupe in June of '06
    - Have 12,000+ plus miles (will avg. 20K per year)
    - Wished I had power windows.
    - Power locks seem useless since locks engage when in drive and open when in park.
    - Took awhile to get used to "new" blind spot

The Good,

31 MPG
    Great handling
    Good price (12K)
    Good looks

The Bad,

Poor spoiler fit (leaks water from left pylon after wash)
    Wheel covers "squeak" over bumps (dealer re-taped, starting to squeak again)

Opinion:

Great car for the money and does what I needed it to do.
  • Have heard about a couple of Cobalts that will not start and GM can not fix it. I have just ordered a Cobalt and am getting antsy about it. Anyone heard about this problem?
  • alan34alan34 Posts: 11
    I have a 2006 Cobalt LT/5 speed. For the past several months the front suspension makes a loud noise if the car is driven over anything but a ultra smooth road. My dealer has replaced my steering shaft twice but this does not seem to help. I am getting very frustrated with this problem. My 2004 Impala LS has been problem free and for this reason we went back to GM for our second car. Has anyone had the same problem? If so is there a fix for it that I can tell the dealer? Thanks!!!!
    Is the Cobalt's front suspension equipped with "struts". If so, I've encountered lots of Chevrolet Equinox with the similar description as yours and the problem was the struts. The noise is worst on "speed bumps" even at a very low speed.
  • I do not recommend this car to anyone. I have had nothing but problems from day one. Yes, it does have a problem with not starting and if I don't press in the clutch a certain way, it won't start. I brought a 2007 SS Supercharged and you have to use premium unleaded in it. My has a problem with wanting to speed up even when I don't have my foot on the gas pedal. The chevy dealership tells me it is how I am driving it. When the car had 500 miles on it, the clutch master cylinder went out and left me stranded. My car is a lemon....I am going to be trading it in soon....and it doesn't have that many miles on it...save yourself some headache and heartache...don't buy this car.... :sick: