Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Problems

Comments

• kshadekkshadek Posts: 3
    Dave - I have an '02 Denali with similar A/C problems - lack of cool air at idle/in park. after several visits to the dealer (and switch changes, etc), they installed an auxiliary cooling fan in front of the radiator/AC Evaporator. Seems like the problem was there was not enough airflow over the evaporator coils when the truck was sitting (at idle) and it was causing the A/C to shut down. As soon as I would start moving, the A/C kicked in. The aux fan seems to have solved the problem. It was covered under the factory warranty (had 35k on truck at the time). I believe that there is a TSB issued for the problem (I originally noticed the TSB mentioned in Popular Mechanics I believe). I noticed that my new '05 Denali XL now used electric fans rather than the belt mounted engine fan.
  • Well I made a appointment and dropped off my denali to get the issue with the bouncing idle checked out and about 45 minutes later after dropping it off (keep in mind they were extremely busy) they called me up and said that I need to have there BG fuel/air induction service done at a out of pocket cost of 120.00 dollars, even though I have a extended warranty with only 34 thousand miles on the clock. I asked where the carbon build up was, and he told me inside the intake plenum?!?!?!? These guy's sound like crooks. I asked if it could be a computer fix or throttle body issue and he said no. What can I do?
  • air_jarair_jar Posts: 1
    I just bought an '04 Denali with 40K miles and every once in a while I'm hearing a LOUD buzzing when I start the truck. It's coming from inside the left rear quarter panel. I haven't researched enough (A/C on/off, etc.) to try and narrow it down.

Has anyone experienced this or know what's mounted in that location? It's not the exhaust, etc., it's an electric motor gear sound. Sort of like the sound the mirrors make when you put it reverse and they tilt but only louder...and very loud outside.

I also have the whistling above 30-40 MPH but can't figure out where it's coming from. FYI: No after market bolt-ons.

I've also heard a whining noise that runs with the RPM's. I'm going to have both diff's flushed and the tranny fluid changed and see if that cures it but any ideas are helpful.

Thanks.
  • kshadekkshadek Posts: 3
    I would suspect that the loud buzzing that you hear when you start up is the auto-leveling system kicking in. I believe that the air compressor for the shocks is is the left rear. If you look really closly, you will probably see the truck rising slightly when the compressor is on. Mine is usually on for 10 or 15 seconds at startup, unless I have a lot of cargo in the back, then it might be on a bit longer.
  • havanajoehavanajoe Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 with same problems going on. I bought it used august '04 with 50K miles. This started about Apr of this year. The dealer told me that its common in GM cars. So what....? Does that mean it shouldnt get fixed because of its common? Guy is a total lame. Anyhow, did you ever get your car fixed? I've read over 4 different fixes for this. I wonder if all 4 are necessary or if one will do the trick.

a. replace a coupling in the transfer case
    b. remove the dexron automatic transmission fluid from the transfer case, put in the new stuff (Auto Trac II) and flush 3-4 times
    c. replace a single joint in the steering box/colum
    d. a bad control/sensor for the variable rate power-steering system
    What's worked for you???
  • woodywiwoodywi Posts: 1
    I had a very odd experience happen lately. I had a small fire proof box, a tie and some papers on my front passenger seat for about a day and a half. When I removed them, I saw what looked like black gunk on the seat. When I tried to wipe it off it turned out that the leather has disintigrated and there were two large holes. I tried my best to clean off the black disintigrated leather and went to work. When I came back out to the parking lot 8 hrs latter, the leather was eaten away in a huge patch. It litterally turned into black goo. I can't think of any chemicals I had on the seat that would do this, but I may be wrong ( was moving at the time). Has anyone ever had an expereince like this before or heard of this? Is it possible that there was a small fire in the seat? I have no idea. Thanks much.
  • rhonda2rhonda2 Posts: 1
    Re: Grinding noise
    I have a 2001 Yukon Denali and it is dong the same thing. It only happens after I have driven it for a while and it does it when I turn right or left real slow. It almost sounds like the whole front of the car is coming off. I've had it in the shop 3 times and still it does it. Have you found out what the problem is and/or how to fix it?
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    Look at GMpartsdirect.com. You can get the shocks for a lot less and have them installed. It still wil be expensive, however. If you have an extended warranty and the shocks are leaking they may be covered.
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Posts: 190
    I also cannot think of anything that would melt any leather into a black goo. I can, however, think of a lot of solvents that might melt vinyl (or many other synthetic materials) into something very like the petrochemicals from which they came.

You might want to cut back to some unscathed seating material (the seat's already destroyed, eh?) and see if this is really leather or if it's a leather substitute you are looking at.

If it isn't leather, then that information would be of great interest to many folks. We all know that the non-seating areas are rarely real leather anymore. But the seating areas, at the very least, are supposed to be when you've paid for leather!?!
  • speedhawgspeedhawg Posts: 1
    I had a 1999 Yukon had the problem several times, dealer didn't have a clue. I found in the owners manual instructions on what to do if you get a new key. The key has a computer chip in it and the truck has to "learn" the key for the fuel pump to engage. I found if I put the key in the ignition and turned the key to accessory mode for 10 minutes (turn the key back instead of forward like you are going to start it), just leave it alone, turn it off for a few seconds then start and the problem will go away for a couple months until it decides to do it again.
  • dragracerdragracer Posts: 1
    I have an 02 denali, my problems are it will idle fine then it will surge up and down around 200-300 rpms. The interior lights will also bright and dim as this surge happens. Never hesitates upon acceleration or runs rough. Just sometimes it will surge a few hundred rpms. Next problem, it sounds like a spark knock when you start it. It happens just for instant when it cranks. Any ideas? Please respond
  • crzyaimcrzyaim Posts: 34
    We just purchased a new 05 Denali last weekend. The dealer said the smell we were smelling was all the new parts burning off the new car smell. Well the smell has not gone away with almost 1000 miles on it. I can't roll down the windows with out the raw gas smell over powering the cabin. We occasionally smell it with the air conditioner on, but mostly when the windows are rolled down. I'm finding that I notice it more when I accelerate, but it can be smelt just at cruising speeds on the freeway. The smell is not constant. We can smell it for a few minutes then it dissipates, and returns at any given time. It is making me sick to my stomach. The dealer looked at it last week and said "visually" they can't see any plastic stuck to anything and didn't know what it was. I am bringing it back tomorrow. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be? I want to go in with as much information as possible. I don't want to be told they can't duplicate it. Besides this, we love the truck. If I could just get rid of the headache it causes me when I drive it....
  • Please get this taken care of ASAP. I had a 99 Denali that had a faint antifreeze smell which the dealer never properly took care of. At 45,000 I had a blown headgasket that a regular mechanic said was defective right from the factory. My problems only got worse. Please remember that with the Denali it is never the last problem. Good luck and stay safe. I now drive a Pathfinder.
  • tunemantuneman Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 denali xl and my rear radio control panel is not working. Has anybody experienced this same problem? I have looked at the fuse box but it appears that it might be linked to another fuse because I cannot fine a fuse specifically for rear radio controls. Could it be that the control panel itself is bad?
    Any help/ideas would be appreciated.
  • artcruz62artcruz62 Posts: 2
    Dear GMwrench,

I have a 1999 yukon and am experiencing the exact problem you described. I have spent a lot of time and money and the problem still exists. Before going to the dealer I want to know more. Did you ever find out the problem?

Help!!
    Thanks,
    ArtCruz62
  • fireman3fireman3 Posts: 3
    I have this same problem. I have replaced the flasher, check and replaced all fuses with no results. It has been suggested that it could be the harness in the column, but hesitant on replacing the harness.
  • ironreupironreup Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 XL Denali and it isn't even 2 weeks old yet and was making the exact same noise! They thought it was the self-leveling system and replaced it with a brand new one...they noise still existed. Finally they pulled of a document ID Number from GMC that talked about this exact same noise. The document states that the possible problem is the rear thermal expansion valve (TXV). The only repair is to replace the TXV per SI document ID # 594045 ( your GM dealer will know what this is). This noise may affect 2004-2005 GMC XL, XL Denali.
    We just got our Denali back today and we haven't heard a peep so far...hopefully this helps you.
  • Have you ever got this problem fixed? I own a 2003 Tahoe and I had this problem since Oct 2003. I went to the dealer about 9 times so far, every time they told me it's fixed. After couple months, the problem came back. Now the car is no longer under warrenty.
  • artcruz62artcruz62 Posts: 2
    Please Help!! My 99 yukon has the exact same symptoms. Did you get any answers?

I'd like to know before taking it to the dealer. My local mechanic thinks it something called tight valves.

Thanks
  • big22sbig22s Posts: 2
    I HAVE READ ACTUALLY HUNDREDS, HEARD ABOUT THE SAME, ABOUT THE XL DINALI. 1ST OFF, THERE IS NO, NO, PERFECT CAR. IF THERE WAS , WE ALL WOULD BUY ONE. I HAVE OWNED SEVERAL SUV'S, FROM MY JEEP CHERROKE LTD, TO MY RANGE ROVER, WHICH I SOLD.
    FOR ABOUT 50K, TOTAL, I GOT A NEW 2004, YUKON XL DINALI. THIS CAR IS ABOUT A 8-9, ON A 10 SCALE. EVERYTHING IS THERE. I ORDERED A FULLY LOADED XL DINALI, AND PUT 22'S ON IT AND I LOVE IT.
    REMEMBER, THIS YUKON XL DINALI, IS A FULL-SIZE SUV. AGAIN, IF LOOKING FOR A FULL-SIZE SUV, THIS IS THE CAR. IT HAS ALL-WHEEL DRIVE, LIKE MY RANGE ROVER, BUT NOT THE INTERIOR SIZE I NEEDED IN A, AGAIN FULL-SIZE SUV. INSIDE, THE 2 TONE LEATHER, LOOKS AND FEELS FINE. IT HAS POWER, AND THE BRAKES TO MATCH. PLUS , IT LOOKS GREAT!!!!
    NOW IF YOU WANT TO BE PICKY, ANYONE, MYSELF INCLUDED, CAN FIND SOMETHINGS TO GRIPE ABOUT. THIS IS ALSO TRUE FOR MY RANGE ROVER. FOR A FULLY LOADED XL DINALI, WHAT MORE CAN ONE ASK FOR.
    ALL CREATURE COMFORTS AND MORE, ARE THERE. I AM VERY PLEASED W/THIS SUV. SURE IT CREEKS AND COULD BE BETTER IN FIT AND FINISH, BUT, AGAIN, FOR ALL YOU GET, ONE CANNOT COMPLAIN.
    MY PERSONAL FALIURE IN THIS SUV, IS NO PARKTRONIC!!!!!
    FOR A SUV THIS SIZE, GMC NEEDS TO PUT PARKTRONIC ON IT. NOW FOR ABOUT $1000.00, I HAVE A FACTORY LOOKING PARKING SYSTEM.
    ALTHOUGH MY DINALI IS LESS THAN A YEAR OLD,(BOUGHT IN AUG), THE CAR HAS HAD 2 OIL CHANGES TO I, AND THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAD WAS A FAULTY AIR-PRESSURE SENSOR. BESIDES THAT, I AM VERY,VERY,PLEASED IN MY PURCHACE.
    REMEMBER, YOU ARE NOT GETTING A ROLLS-ROYCE, OR A YUGO. YOU ARE GETTING THE BEST FULL-SIZE, SUV OUT THERE.