Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Problems

Comments

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,656
    Well low oil pressure can indicate worn engine bearings, as it is bearing clearance that directly determines oil pressure; however, a clogged pickup screen from the oil pump could be a factor here.

The slick thing to do before a teardown might be to have the oil analyzed by a lab to see if there is excessive bearing material in it--if they say "yes" then you know for certain. If no excessive bearing material is detected, then I guess we'd drop the pan and have a look inside, to inspect the oil pump.

Here's a little blurb on oil pressure. This article refers to foreign cars but the principles are the same.

HOW TO READ OIL PRESSURE
  • speedymixspeedymix Posts: 1
    Not to be rude. but if you read your manual first before you blindly start pushing buttons. you would have had a better understanding of the Truck. every problem you were having, you diagnose in your earlier statement of a weak or dead BATTERY. but it seems that some people like to justify there purchases thru dogging out American Products. Foreign companies that pay little or no TAXES. The 100,000 mile power-train warranty would cover most of what could go wrong with any vehicle. I have friends who buy these products your are talking about, the brag about how much they spend on maintaining these cars. $300.00 for an oil change
    $750 for a shock.$$$$$. so on. but complain about American cars calling them junk. like it has a dead battery, brakes need replacing after 60,000 miles of city driving. or I spilt a large pop in my electronics and they cant fix it. When your having a continuos problem with anything. try another service center. thats not the American car its the service center. Hope the next time you have such a problem with a truck you buy. the first thing you want them to do is give you a new battery in the deal. because if the truck is 3-4 years old your probably due.
  • kchawk1kchawk1 Posts: 10
    I am pretty sure GM cust service is looking for a few good men. It appears you have what it takes. Please send your resume immediately to : Blindasheckandproudofit.com for consideration!!! :shades:
  • ibuyusaibuyusa Posts: 1
    Hubby decided the Expo was too old and gave it away as a trade in for a 2008 Yukon. Beautiful SUV when it works! We have only had it a month, it has been in the shop at least four times already.

The car just shuts down! I mean the whole thing: it will not crank, the doors will not open, everything locks up.

First the power locks would not work, windows too and we got that fixed. The remote would not work. Then it locked up and the battery was replaced. It did it again. Sent it back it did it again and now it is in the shop again.

What is the deal with this SUV? This is our third GMC in 18 years, but I guess our last.
  • 08dboy08dboy Posts: 3
    It could be a few things... If you haven't already found the cause(s).

I'm assuming that you have Auto Ride Suspension

1. Shock Sensors need replacing or cleaning
    2. Shocks need replacing
    3. Speed Sensors need replacing or cleaning
    4. Ride Control Air Compressor needs replacing

If you have to replace the shocks or compressor I suggest you buy the parts and have hem installed... You will save a ton of CHING!!!

search for ArottIndustries.com Let me know how things are going....
  • 08dboy08dboy Posts: 3
    Have the ECM checked out.

Sometimes a vehicle has to relearn things after replacing batteries (especially if it sits for a day or so before replacing)

When the vehicle is starting, Start and Turn off the vehicle while waiting 10 seconds before each stop and restart. Do not press the accelerator. Simply start, let run for 10 secs, turn off for 10 sec... and repeat the process 20 times.

This process in most cases resets the ECM and Memories for Settings

If you have been to a reputable shop they should have been able to run a full diagnostic on the vehicle. A good one will run you $150 at a dealership; but it's usually thorough.

Let me know how things are going.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    ibuyusa,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • I have a 2009 Yukon that began smoking on start up. Took it to my local dealer who said that they didn't find a problem. Yet it has used four quarts of oil since the last oil change and had more than normal black soot at the tail pipe. I've already have had it in the shop four times for door locks not working and now this. I feel that the dealer is just giving me the run around. Any one else with this problem? Any suggestions? I don't feel this is normal at 33,000 miles.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,656
    Certainly not. I'd have a cylinder leakdown test performed to see what's up inside that engine. You need data, not opinions, here.
  • Take it to another dealer who will help you. We had the same oil consumption problem. They installed a deflector plate. Sometimes that will fix the problem. However, we continued to have a problem with oil consumption. The dealer found that the oil control rings seized to pistons. They then had to replace pistons, rings, etc. I drove our '07 Yukon 2 hours each way to a wonderful dealer that was referred to me by a friend. The dealer where we bought the truck didn't seem to think there was a problem. Take it ASAP....your engine is still under warranty. BTW, we also had electrical / battery problems.....it seems those were caused by faulty door locks. Good luck.
  • mark278mark278 Posts: 4
    i've always changed my own oil and i've had 4 gm cars i have a 2003 gmc yukon denali now with 280000 miles on it and it has always had metal on the oil plug and all the gm cars i've had was the same way. your 6.0 liter was made to run on 5w30 so changing it to 10w30 isn't good for it, i've noticed too that the more miles they get on them the less metal there is. a gm dealer only charges a few dollars more to change your oil and would probably be worth it because they don't usually drain your differential or work you up over metal being in the oil and then put the wrong oil in it. I think the 10 min oil change is the reason alot of people are here.
  • My Denali will jerk a little bit every once and a while when accelerating. I think it's the transmission, but I am not for sure. Any suggestions of what is causing it? Thank you!
  • If it's not shifting into another gear when you feel this "jerk", then it's probably an ignition misfire. Go to Autozone or Kragen and get the car scanned for a trouble code. I bet a misfire code will come up.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    kylie_ffr,

Please keep me posted if you have the vehicle diagnosed and when the problem has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • My gas mileage dropped over 5 miles per gallon from one tank of gas to the next. Any ideas what could cause such a sudden drop.
  • bad math? Juuussst kidding. You really can't gauge fuel mileage from one tank to the very next one. You should average it out over 5-6 fillups at least. Reason? Changes in the car's position during each fill up, different road and climate conditions, and sometimes a misbehaving gas pump.
  • I have seen drops and gains between tanks but never that much(could check sensors aswell). However in my area I work at a small engine repair shop and we have found water freshly purchased from a nearby gastation containing water, ALOT. I have a 2003 Tahoe and after letting it sit for a few months i believed moisture built up in the tank (ethanol), My truck Ran HORRIBLY and was even stalling here there.....4 cans of seafoam and a fresh tank of high oct to clear things through and it was running like a top....
  • HELP! Owned my 2000 Denali 2 yrs, been sitting most of it! It constantly gets stuck in park, will not go into any gears. This goes on awhile, then it will work awhile. OVER IT! :( Had several mechanics, plus pretty mechanical sons try diagnosing this, no one can. I currently have six vehicles, selling all! I do not want to sell this to someone and lie, with this problem, so I really need to figure out at least what it is. Any idea's? Anyone else have this issue??
  • My wife's '03 Denali is also doing the exact same thing. Did you happen to find a fix? Would really appreciate a reply. Thanx.
  • Sounds like a problem with the shift-interlock system...maybe bad brake light switch, or sticking/gummed up solenoid mechanism at the gear lever which won't release.