Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Problems

Comments

• booggaboogga Posts: 5
    While I'm driving over 30 MPH there is a loud whistling sound...it's coming from outside....it's not the windows...any idea what I can do about it?
  • dako_tiandako_tian Posts: 298
    Move to Dallas. It won't stop the whistling. However, either heat, smog, noise, cussin', or one-finger salutes here will keep you from driving with your windows down no matter what time of year it is! ;-)
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Posts: 196
    Have you installed anything on the exterior? After I installed a stainless steel bug deflector on my Denali, I occasionally notice a noise from outside at highway speeds. Other SUV owners complain about wind noise from roof rack rails/accessories. If these don't apply to you, definitely have it checked out by the dealer. I think I remember older posts in the Yukon/Tahoe forum about windshield wind noise.
  • booggaboogga Posts: 5
    I haven't installed anything, this was happening from the start. I took it to the dealer and they heard it also and now is investigating it. We also test drove a new D/04 and it did the samething. Any other ideas on what it might be?

Hey dako_tian....you willing to pay for my transfer to Dallas?
  • dako_tiandako_tian Posts: 298
    Sure thing! If you'll pay for mine to Tampa! ;-)

Happy Friday!
  • freduarfreduar Posts: 7
    If you have any problems with your Denali find a good lemon law lawyer. Fortunately, I found one in San Diego on the Internet. See my prior postings re my problems. While some think I should be happy and not complain that GM finally bought my car back, per the California Lemon Law, I have little doubt that I needed a good lawyer to properly resolve my problem. I would not advise trying to resolve problems with a GM rep without consulting a good lawyer. The Denali had some design advantages, but, in my opinion, when a problem arose, it took me a year, and I was told that it was only because I was persistent, that GM finally accepted responsibility. I hope others do not have a similar experience as me with their Denali. Good luck to all.
  • freduarfreduar Posts: 7
    Best case was they gave me all (I repeat all) my money back including down payment, all monthly payments, paid off my loan, interest, and they also paid my attorney fees per California Law. They did take a small amount of depreciation to the date that I first noticed the problem, but you are wrong that they bought it back at the depreciated price. I think I came out way ahead with a knowledgable lemon law lawyer.
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Posts: 668
    Just browsing this forum because my friend just drove over with his new Denali XL (second one).

You don't need a lawyer for lemon law cases in California if your vehicle is covered by the BBB autoline arbitration program. The arbitrator can award a replacement vehicle or a reimbursement.

The amount of dollars deducted for use, by law, can be no more than a fixed percentage of purchase price based on the odometer reading when the vehicle was brought in the first time for the problem that resulted in the buy back or replacement.

I heard many cases over 16 years and there were cases that justified and received a 100% reimbursement, with no deduction for miles used.
  • g357g357 Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 denali, and installed a vortex muffler. Now, when I accelerate from a stop the bass from the muffler is making something rattle. Any suggestions?
  • There are plenty of comments on this thread about people experiencing a low rattle/vibration when running the A/C and idling or slowly accellerating. I have experienced it on my '01 D., but I do not find it too disturbing so I'm leaving it alone. Search the thread - I think an exhaust hanger/braket may be the culprit. If this is the case, your Vortex with even greater bass would likely cause the same issue as the much quieter factory exhaust. Not sure if anyone has really found a good solution for this including GM.
  • artyarty Posts: 3
    do not give another chance, I had the same experience. search for bbb autoline to find my post. There is no way to win with the BBB. Get with the state Attorney General to get the ball rolling. The manufacturers are more responsieve when you have an attorney.
  • evans1evans1 Posts: 1
    I love my new(4k mi) 2004 Gmc Yukon Denali. It does, however, make some weird noise while I'm driving at around 20 and around 40 mph. Not under full accel, but when I'm coasting or lightly accelerating.
    It sounds to me like the exhaust system, or a rattling heatshield(does this veh. even have a heat shield?) but I'm just not sure.I took it to the dealer twice while they replaced my steering gearbox(SQUEEKY) and the tech says that's how they are. C'mon everybody, is that "how they are"?
    For my $55k they should be able to stop this. Does anyone else hear this rattling/vibrating/resonating noise?
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Posts: 232
    Tell the service department try to look for a loose baffle in the muffler. I drove a 2002 as a loaner that sounded similar. I mentioned it to the dealers rep when I returned it and got a call later to let me know what their mechanics found.
  • My '02 Denali also made a resonation noise at light throttle. It was really noticable when I would back it into my driveway. The repair order simply stated "repaired muffler" and problem was solved. It might have been the same repair as ocmike3 posted. I put the truck on a lift shortly after and didn't see any weights added as I've seen posted by some owners on the Tahoe/Yukon board.

FWIW, the first month with my Denali was very disappointing & frustrating since it was at the dealer a few times for several problems that weren't noticeable during the test drive. However, the dealer did fix all of them. And its been trouble-free since then.
  • charmercharmer Posts: 1
    My 2003 XL Denali (30k) miles, just lost all electrical power in front of my house. Was running yesterday, today not even the interior lights work (no power at all). Batter charger shows battery has full charge. Has anyone heard of this before I get it towed to dealer?
  • aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    These things have so many computer parts now that it could be anything, but old world thinking should point to the alternator. If your alternator is dead, you get nothing, even with no problems with your battery.
  • Seems like most of you are talkin' about the new Denali but I was wondering, anyone out there with the 99-00 Denali or Escalade with the rear cargo doors have this problem... When I go to open the right cargo door it is almost as if something is swelling in the door and the hinge is stiff (Kinda like they are when you first buy it but worse!) However the left one works good as ever. It's not a really big deal right now but i would like to get it fixed. Sitting outside in the college parking lot probably doesn't help!
  • My 03 Denali does the same exact thing. Still under warranty so I will be taking it in to the dealership for service.
  • Transmission clunking is a mystery only until today. This is your opportunity to educate a GM dealership about clunking and the fix for this symptom. After fighting the cause myself I proceeded with the fix on my own time and expense.

The complaint: Customer experiences clunking noise under normal accleration from a stop light.

The fix: During production GM installed a soft metal driveshaft yolk. What this means is that the yolk that fits into the driveshaft is made of softer metal than the output shaft on the transmission. This is an engineering method that is industry standard. If you are mechanically inclined, remove your driveshaft and take it to a highly reputable driveline service shop. Have the shop replace the u-joints with Spicer servicable u-joints and also have them install a Spicer yolk. The yolk is manufactured with a harder material and will make the clunking go away. Easy fix for about $120.

The problem is that the splines on the inside of the yolk get burred up and stick to the splines on the output shaft of the transmission. One way you can diagnose the problem is by removing the driveshaft lubricate the splines inside of the yolk with CV Joint grease (blue or green in color). Make sure that you don't over do it because you will have a fight on your hands trying to get it back on. If the problem goes away get the yolk replaced.

Good Luck.

GMWrench
  • I own a 1999 Yukon Denali 4WD and am experiencing the following:

Symtom: Upon normal acceleration onto a freeway and as the vehicle approaches 65 - 70 mph the torque convertor kicks in and the truck shakes harder than a 7.0 earthquake. The computer compensates and disengages the convertor which softens the vibration but does not eliminate it. I had a Tech 2 in the vehicle to attempt a diagnosis and found that as the converter engaged around 65 mph the number 3 cylinder began misfiring over 160 times. I don't know how number 3 cylinder and the convertor are tied together but they are not singing a pleasant tune. What's the feedback.

GMWrench