Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Problems

Comments

• robhrobh Posts: 5
    I know, but you probably do not chatter your teath when you hit a reflector or a small bump in the road. Whatever you do do not get the michilins the 05's comewith goodyear's they are putting on a set this morning to see if it is in fact the tires. I'll post and let you know the outcome.

Robert
  • absolutely, my 1999 now at 120,000 had the problem 3 times, the fuel pump!!
  • tdohtdoh Posts: 298
    I could be wrong, but I think what you're describing is not so much a function of a limited slip, but the way the AWD system works on the '03+ (not 100% sure about '03 but almost positive) AWD Yukon Denalis and Escalades. IIRC--those vehicles no longer came with a locking (or limited, if you prefer to call it that way) diff; OTOH, I believe '01 and '02 AWD Yukon Denali (and Esky?) offered locking diff. I mention all of this because the '04+ Sierra Denali (and Chevy Silverado SS w/ AWD) both offer AWD and locking diff because the AWD mechanics on those vehicles are different from those on the '03+ Denali and Esky--IOW, the AWD unit offered on the '04+ Sierra Denali is not the same as that on the '03+ Yukon Denali.

But yes, you are correct in describing the integration of Stabilitrak and ABS in helping to detect and correct wheel slippage...I guess you could call it a "software" solution of a limited slip diff, versus a "hardware" solution...LOL!
  • mckanemckane Posts: 1
    we have a 2002 yukon denali w\65k,bought used 2 months ago.had problem w\terrible noise when turning.started out only in sharp turns or going in circles now does it almost in all turns.louder on drivers side.dealship has replaced ring-n-pinion,gear set,transfer case,bearings , axle bearings,reset gears,transfer case,differentals,etc.they say just drive it till it breaks ,they dont know what else to do or DON"T really care.Not a good exp.w\dealership.they had done some repairs on car before we bought but obvisouly just patched it so it would sell. NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!!!
  • g357g357 Posts: 4
    Most likely it is the passlock system. If it sounds like the starter is turning over but isn't getting fuel, and the passlock light is flashing it must be the passlock system. Wait 10 minutes, the light should stop flashing and it should start. It's pretty useless to take it to the dealer, because they won't be able to duplicate the problem, unless your lucky and the problem ocurrs while you are there.
  • mamaof4mamaof4 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 2004 Yukon XL and I am having the pinging noise you mentioned after shutting off the truck. I am in the preliminary stage of being heard by GMC. I would like to keep in touch to be a unified force against this giant. After reading the post in the forum I think we might be in for a battle. I spoke with GMC (very nice, so far) and they connected me to my local dealership. From what I have heard GMC is so aware of this and are willing to do some things to "fix" the problem, but apparently there is no sure fix. I am so disappointed! I would think when you spend 10's- of- thousands of $ on a vehicle you shouldn't here embarrassing pinging sounds.

Sincerely,
    Lanya
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,539
    Suggestion: Don't use the word "pinging" when describing your problem to the dealer or technicians. The term "pinging" refers to something completely different than you are experiencing and may confuse the people you are talking to.

• dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Posts: 190
    I don't know if you are referring to the sounds of the catalytic converter metal shifting and snapping as it cools off (and the size necessarily changes due to the laws of physics). That is something common to all the vehicles I have owned since at least 1973. You can hear it more clearly on trucks because they sit so much higher off the ground than most vehicles.

Heck this sort of popping sound as things cool off is something even my TV does and I can sometimes hear clearly at night from the one in my bedroom.
  • mydmousemydmouse Posts: 1
    On my 2002 denali the service ride control light is on and when I turn the suv on there is a noise coming from the back near my tires. Is there something I can do to get rid of the noise and the service ride control light? And my abs light is on.
  • I have a 2001 denali and I have been getting the service ride light as well. It will come on and stay on for a day and then it won't come back on for a couple days. I am not sure if I have a sensor that is loose or what. Now it hasn't come on for about a week.
  • frank310frank310 Posts: 44
    I just had the my 2005 DXL in the shop for that same problem. There is a bulletin on it and they installed a new heat shield, a clamp and 3 straps (reading off the work order. They dealer told me this will not make the noise go away for too. I'll let you know what happens. Also had two other issues: when turning steering wheel to the left you hear a constant squeaking sound, "adapter" has been ordered for that, another bulletin on this also. Windshield molding flaps when driving at highway speed, moldings ordered, there is a bulletin on this for 2000-2004 models but not 2005, dealer doing work under warranty.
  • vevette77vevette77 Posts: 2
    Hello...This is my first time using a message board, so let's hope I do this correctly. I just bought an '01 Yukon Denali with 62K one month ago...I am starting to get frustrated with the rough idle with and without A/C on and some rattling noises coming from the front of the truck when accelerating normally until around 35-40mph....It does not have a warranty....any suggestions?? I have read about some throttle body concerns others have had as well as some exhaust issues....Does anyone else have similar symptoms? Remedies? Thanks for your help!! vevette77@yahoo.com
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    It could be loose heat shields in the muffler.
  • arriearrie Posts: 312
    Have your spark plug wires checked or just have them changed. I had a problem in a 2004 tahoe with spark plug wires. Some of them were really loose on plugs and I could clearly see that it had been arcing between the wire terminal and the plug.

Just fixed this same issue again two days ago. Made a big improvement on idle. Also runs smoother during all driving.

Arrie
  • barstoolbarstool Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Yukon xl that I bought used. The previous owner replaced the air suspension components with standard shocks. The Service air suspension message is constantly on. Is there anyway to dissable this message? It's driving me nuts.
  • vevette77vevette77 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice....I just got the rattle fixed...It was a bad driveshaft and U-Joints on the front end....$463.00 - I think I could have gotten a better price elsewhere, but needed it done quickly.

I will try the Spark plug wires - hopefully that will work -

Thanks
  • bossardbossard Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. I have a 2000 Yukon XL. It's only happened to me 4 times, well 5 now!!! Before when it would start I would wait a little while (couple of hrs.) then it would start right up. This is the first time that I've tried all day long and nothing happens. I hear some relays clicking in the dash but the Fuel pump and the starter do nothing! Do anyone send you anything helpful? :(
  • pictonatorpictonator Posts: 3
    Hi mckane,
    I have a 2001 Denali XL and I had a similar problem when turning. It initially only happened with sharp turns, but then got worse until it was happening every time I turned into a parking space. The sound was kind of a grinding sound and the front wheels felt like I was running a 4 wheel drive vehicle on dry pavement. It was a choppy jerking feeling along with the grinding sound. It took several trips to the dealer and a lot of patience to fix this.

First they changed the power steering pump, no luck. Then they tore apart the transfer case and put it back together, with no luck. Next, they replaced the front differential, with no luck. On my fourth visit, they replaced a coupling in the transfer case and it finally worked right!! After changing that coupling in the transfer case, I have not had any more steering problems, going on 4 months now.

I would love to hear what solves your problem, if they ever figure it out. As I recall, there is a technical service bulletin for some denalis that experience a "shuddering" in the front when turning sharp. My dealer never would acknowledge if that was related to my issue.
  • mkindermkinder Posts: 3
    our rear air is ice cold and the front is barley cool. anyone ver had this problem? thanks mike also the relay for the turn signals clicks all the time it might not a few miles then there it goes again.but the blinkers are not flashing when it happens.but the blinkers and flasher all work fine. :confuse:
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Posts: 190
    I do believe there is a separate condenser for the rear (notice the water dripping near the right-rear tire as well as the "normal" condensation drip up in front?). That would explain why the difference if the front unit alone is having trouble. Sounds like a trip to the shop....
  • tmc3873tmc3873 Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 yukon. The steering is clicking when shaked side to side. I have 60 k miles. I was told by a half [non-permissible content removed] dealer that it was big problems. I think hes lying. It should be an easy fix. Can someone help me.
    i fixed it today myself it was the orfus filter thingomojig. it blows cold now.
    my flasher clicks all the time the turn signals and flasher work properly but the click click click click id driving us nuts
  • suzitungsuzitung Posts: 1
    we have a 1999 yukon denali that has never done this before, but last nite we couldnt get her started to save our lives, even tho we had jumping cables connected... somehow i dont think its the battery, as the lights and all came on and when we tried to start her the first time it cranked but wouldnt start... it was like it wasnt making a connection to start on up... one of the fog light bulbs had gone out and Tung took the bulb holder out to see what size bulb it would need... i wonder if this has anything to do with the denali not starting on up, maybe he has not gotten it put bk in right and its cause a fuse to blow or something.... HEEELLLPPPP!!!! our baby is sitting in a parking lot all by itself... and i want our denali bk!!! :-(
    Suzi and Tung
  • jp5888jp5888 Posts: 3
    I have an '01 as well and had a similar issue. It would surge in traffic at an idle, there was a computer upgrade (fix) to resolve the problem, and it did work.
  • jp5888jp5888 Posts: 3
    I have an '01 with the same problem. There are bulletins on it, they say to remove the dexron automatic transmission fluid from the transfer case, put in the new stuff (Auto Trac II), run it about 5-10 miles, making lots of sharp turns, drain and refill with Auto Trac II again. I have done this and still have the problem, but they say it may take a few more flushes. I'm glad it only takes 2 quarts, could get expensive. The new stuff is supposed to have better lubricating properties for the automatic transfer case clutches.
  • sm23sm23 Posts: 1
    I brought my denali in for service since the back air-ride shock system failed this past week end. I told the dealership to go ahead and change all 4 since the truck has over 60k miles. They told me that 4 shocks would cost $1900. I feel like the GMC dealership is trying to "bend me over the hood of the truck" if you know what I mean! Has anyone found after-market air-ride shocks that are compatible with the denali compressor and air lines???? I need this system to work, to enable me to pull a very large boat......someone please help so that I don't have to let the dealership screw me!!!!
  • barstoolbarstool Posts: 2
    I purchased a used 2001 that had the air shocks replaced with standard shocks.
    Ride is ok, but air suspension system warning light is illuminted all the time now.
    I checked into the history of my vehicle. It had three sets of air shocks replaced
    in four years. The first set was under warranty, the previous owner had to pay
    for the second set $2400.00. When that set went out years later, they were
    replaced by shocks. The previous owner was the stereo typical soccer mom
    who never towed anything, or ever put the truck into four wheel drive. The dealer
    I went to fessed up that GM didn't do a very good job with this shock design.
  • scoopyscoopy Posts: 1
    My 2003 Denali did the same thing for about 3 months. The dealer told me it was normal too. Now, that it has stopped, maybe I should be concerned.
    My problem now is the steering column or front end making a knocking noise. It feels like it is slipping. Anyone have an idea?
  • bigyuk1bigyuk1 Posts: 1
    I also own a 99 gmc yukon and after it rains and it is humid outside the truck will not start what is the deal its been doing this to me for years please let me know if you figure something out the truck will turn over and start for about a second then it dies