Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    The Bengal might be built off Kappa (same as Solstice). We shall see.

An update on the "385" name. Don't be surprised if it's Buick Allure.
  • How about Invicta? (Not really, it's one car name I always thought was weird sounding.)
  • As in Oldsmobile Intrigue... GM tried that kind of naming convention before with the "Intrigue." They should think carefully about using Allure and how they are going to market something exciting. Get into an "Intrigue," it's intriguing.. get into an "Allure," it's alluring. The key will be marketing and we all know that Oldsmobile died because of how GM marketed the new wave of Oldsmobiles. The product may be awesome, but name and marketing will make the difference.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    Buick Bolero?
  • reg-

Buick did a concept car by that name years ago, and the first thing I thought when I saw it was, "I HATE that name. I HATE IT!" No offense, but please don't send Bob Lutz that suggestion :-)

-Andrew L
  • tsxtsx Posts: 32
    Recently I was at GM AutoShow for Dealers, had a chance to take a look at new models from GM.

On the Buick side, Seen the Ultra From Rendez-vu and the upcoming Century-Regal replacement midsize car.

GM is changing the brand to attract younger buyers on the Buick side. The New Midsize looks very similar to the Lexus GS300 with a Buick Grill. No Details were given and no one was allowed to come close to the car. Because it is a later-year release model. GM also said the centiem concept will have a huge impact on all it's new models. And the Buick LeSabre replacement will be released to compete directly against the Lexus Brand.
    Does that mean the LeSabre will be RWD? Sigma Mass is probably the platform of choice, anyway. Just for confirmation, is the "385" interior the same as the spy shot I posted?

(this one)
    yes, i know about the bolero concept...i liked the name.
  • The new RWD platform is called "Kappa", not Sigma Mass.
    No Kappa is the small one (Pontiac roadster). It is way too small to even put a mid-size sedan on, let alone a full-size. Buick might make the Bengal off Kappa, though. Holden VE = Sigma Mass.
    Prelimary reports would have it that the "385" will still use the 3800. Damnit!

But it will have a nine speaker Monsoon stereo with two subwoofers.
    too bad.........not a real great way to 'emulate lexus'.....
  • Buick should stick to going after Toyota, after all they are the "Japanese Buick". Leave Cadillac for the luxo makes.
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    I have read that the 3800 will be standard in the LaCrosse, but the 3.6L DOHC V6 from the CTS and Rendezvous will be optional.
    thankfully.
    Models- CX, CXL, CXS

Stereo-
    ETR AM/FM stereo with CD player, includes seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, speed-compensated volume and TheftLock

ETR AM/FM stereo with 6-disc in-dash CD changer, includes (U88) Sound system feature, 9-speakers, Monsoon, seek-and-scan, digital clock, speed-compensated volume and TheftLock

ETR AM/FM stereo with CD/MP3 player, includes (U88) Sound system feature, 9-speakers, Monsoon, seek-and-scan, digital clock, speed-compensated volume and TheftLock

Exterior-
    Chrome Appearance Package, includes front and rear chrome fascia inserts, bodyside molding chrome inserts and chrome door handles

Rear Parking Assist, Ultrasonic, includes rearview LED light bar and audible warning

Regular production accessory, spoiler, rear (SPO-supplied, dealer-installed)

Wheels-
    16" (40.6 cm) steel, with wheel covers
    16" (40.6 cm) aluminum, 8-spoke, painted
    16" (40.6 cm) aluminum, 8-spoke, Chrome-Tek
    17" (43.2 cm) aluminum, 8-spoke, painted, flangeless
    17" (43.2 cm) aluminum, 8-spoke, chrome-plated, flangeless

Engines-
    3.8L 3800 V6 SFI (200 HP [149.2 kW] @ 5200 rpm, 230 lb.-ft. [310.5 N-m] @ 4000 rpm) CX CXL

3.6L VVT DOHC V6 (240 HP [179 kW] @ 6000 rpm, 233 lb.-ft. [314.6 N-m] @ 3600 rpm) CXS

Interior-

Colours Ebony, Light Steel Gray, Taupe, Taupe and Ebony

CX Front buckets Madison/Broadway Cloth
    CXL Front buckets Nuance Sandstone Leather-appointed seats
    CXS Front buckets Nuance Sandstone Leather-appointed seats

Exterior Colours-

Sterling Silver Metallic
    Cashmere Metallic
    Superior Blue Metallic
    White
    Black
    Cardinal Red Metallic
    Glacier Blue Metallic
    Steelmist Metallic

Dimensions-

Wheelbase 110.50 (2807)
    Overall length 198.30 (5037)
    Body width 72.40 (1839)
    Overall height 57.40 (1458)
    Curb weight, lbs. (kg) CX 3516 (1595), CXL 3564 (1617), CXS 3496 (1586)
    Seating capacity, max. (front/rear) CX 2(3 optional)/3, CXL 2(3 optional)/3, CXS 2/3

Bench seats. And optional 2+2. Interesting...
    when does this thing go on sale? I did like the interior shots a lot surprisingly.
    Expect low $20s to low to mid $30s.
  • theo-

What's the deal with the Century? I know the Regal will be dropped when the LaCrosse debuts, but I've read conflicting reports about the Century...some say it will be continued (a la Malibu Classic) while others say it, too, will be dropped immediately when the LaCrosse is launched. Which will it be? I'm asking you because you seem to have some inside info about GM cars ;-)

-Andrew L
  • tsxtsx Posts: 32
    The Century will be dropped after the 2004 Model Year. The New Midsize LaCrosse will replace both the century and the regal.

This is confirmed information directly from GM.
    GM played with the idea of making a Buick Siecle off the Epsilon platform to replace the Century, bet decided against it.
  • Reg, you got your DOHC engine, now what will be the thing that is "wrong" with it?
    let's see if its ugly and if the plastic sucks.

the interior is pretty nice by that picture.
  • The 'Buick' name will cause something to complain about. Be it the glove box light, trunk release button, or taillight lens shape.
    I've owned and driven several Buicks but after the mid eighties they all bit. I would love to see a Buick Renaissance. So I will check out the LaCrosse. But if its ugly, or has a cheap interior, then no go. At least they might have fixed the powertrain issue.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,093
    Can't compete with the imports unless the car has a full complement of safety features, including amber rear turn signals. GM has decades of bad lighting design and has fought NHTSA's attempts to implement the superior Euro-spec requirements.

Any spy shots of this car?
  • "GM has decades of bad lighting design and has fought NHTSA's attempts to implement the superior Euro-spec requirements."

GM has sold many cars with Amber rear turn signals, including as far back as the 1977 LeSabre. And numerous imports have all red rear turn signals.
  • I'll second that. My Pontiac has brake lights that are shared with the hazards. This means that when I apply the brake, the hazards stop flashing. I hope that whatever moron designed that is no longer employed by GM.

-Andrew L
  • Seems late in a high-stakes naming game to change what this replacement car will be called. Buick LaCrosse (whether cancelled or no) is a great one: good sound, association of a sport, invented by N. American Indians, while it doesn't have the coveted letter "x", the name in fact means X (cross), or crosier (bishop's sceptre).

Hard work to come up with a home run name for this... Since we'll know in a month, any guesses? predictions? favorites? Greek deities? Roman soldiers? Birds of prey? Foreign words? Place names? Letter/ Number combos? Retro options? Guess 'Banshee' is out!! Buick "Rex" (sounds like a dog name/ also 'wrecks').
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    Buick should have just kept the Regal name.