Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    It doesn't mean "loser". It has a much more inappropriate meaning among the "kids" in Quebec.

This is a Lutz car through-and-through. There are spy pictures of the "385" interior, but they are a bit old and grainy. It looks nothing like the Grand Prix interior. This is the picture (thanks to "thegriffon" and "PeteGMsales"):

• I have seen on a site, gminsidenews.com, where the Lacrosse might be hauling around either a 4.2L V-8 with performance figures somewhat comparable to the Series III 3800 engine in the Grand Prix GTP. However, some of the threads plant the seed that since Bob Lutz envisions the Buick division becoming the "American Lexus" division, it could see a 4.6L V-8 like what found its way into the Pontiac Bonneville for '04. You know that with it not named "Cadillac", it won't go into 300 standard, non-modified HP territory anytime soon.

I too love the Regal name, but can see where they are coming from in changing it. Buick has to reinvent itself or face extinction, and if you're a corporate big-wig, what is one easy way to do it if you're rolling out new models...change their names!!! I'm at the age (30's) where I care more about the car than what some focus group decided sounds cool. But, with advertisers worrying so much about attracting ever-younger drivers, we'd all better get used to the classic nameplates being phased out and then reappearing whenever convenient for the mother company (see Pontiac GTO for reasoning behind that stmt).
  • "Better get used to classic names being phased out"

Car companies, especially GM, have been changing names of models forever. Look at how Buick renamed all their cars in 1959. And the countless names for Buick's forgotten compacts: Special, Apollo, Skyhawk, Somerset.

The less family friendly meaning for 'LaCrosse' is true, but it is also used for loser.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    if that interior ends up in a buick I'd be back to GM in a big way. well, need OHC too.

In other words....VERY NICE.......
  • Well, guess I'll be changing the discussion title again when they finally decide on a name!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    What about the BENGAL, named after Tiger Woods? After all, Buick uses the man in practically every ad, poster, and commercial they make. Unless Tiger would want a small fortune to allow it.
  • The Bengal was a 2 seater and if a new one wasn't, the auto media would howl!
  • jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    Pardon my ignorance, but where did you see (or hear) that? Did Buick really have a car they called the Bengal? Anyway, why would the media howl? I think naming a car the Bengal isn't that much different than when Pontiac borrowed the name GTO from Ferrari for their muscle car.
  • Man, where you been? The Bengal was a big deal at the Detroit Auto Show and voted best concept by Automobile Magazine. If it is not a 2 seater, they'd howl.

And yes, some purists were upset about the 64 GTO, but they were drowned out.
    The Bengal might be built off Kappa (same as Solstice). We shall see.

An update on the "385" name. Don't be surprised if it's Buick Allure.
  • How about Invicta? (Not really, it's one car name I always thought was weird sounding.)
  • As in Oldsmobile Intrigue... GM tried that kind of naming convention before with the "Intrigue." They should think carefully about using Allure and how they are going to market something exciting. Get into an "Intrigue," it's intriguing.. get into an "Allure," it's alluring. The key will be marketing and we all know that Oldsmobile died because of how GM marketed the new wave of Oldsmobiles. The product may be awesome, but name and marketing will make the difference.
    Buick Bolero?
  • reg-

Buick did a concept car by that name years ago, and the first thing I thought when I saw it was, "I HATE that name. I HATE IT!" No offense, but please don't send Bob Lutz that suggestion :-)

-Andrew L
  • tsxtsx Posts: 32
    Recently I was at GM AutoShow for Dealers, had a chance to take a look at new models from GM.

On the Buick side, Seen the Ultra From Rendez-vu and the upcoming Century-Regal replacement midsize car.

GM is changing the brand to attract younger buyers on the Buick side. The New Midsize looks very similar to the Lexus GS300 with a Buick Grill. No Details were given and no one was allowed to come close to the car. Because it is a later-year release model. GM also said the centiem concept will have a huge impact on all it's new models. And the Buick LeSabre replacement will be released to compete directly against the Lexus Brand.
    Does that mean the LeSabre will be RWD? Sigma Mass is probably the platform of choice, anyway. Just for confirmation, is the "385" interior the same as the spy shot I posted?

(this one)
    yes, i know about the bolero concept...i liked the name.
  • The new RWD platform is called "Kappa", not Sigma Mass.
    No Kappa is the small one (Pontiac roadster). It is way too small to even put a mid-size sedan on, let alone a full-size. Buick might make the Bengal off Kappa, though. Holden VE = Sigma Mass.