Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I doubt it that this is a "hot car"
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,896
    This discussion will move to the Sedans board this week.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    I can't imagine the Lacrosse being a "hot" vehicle but they may sell some with few incentives in the first few months.
  • I do not think this is hot vehicle. However, it looks much better in person than I thought. Even though I have no intention of getting a new car for a couple of years, I am looking forward to driving a LaCrosse.
  • Will it still be accessible through "Buick" from the main menu of car names?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,896
    Yup! Basically, you won't be affected unless you use the "browse by message board" feature. It'll stay in subscriptions if you're subscribed, and will show up in a search the same way. Oh, and you'll have a change of hosts - pat hosts discussions about sedans.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• There seems to be quite a bit of difference in pricing of the Allure and LaCrosse. The CXL Allure in Canadian Dollars is 27,865 converted to US is 2l,642. The LaCrosse in US dollars is 25,335. A considerable difference to just drive over the border to get one, unless the US will carry some rebates or incentives.
  • You can drive over the border and get what you want, but getting the car registered and warranty service will be HUGE issues. The Canadian vehicle and the US vehicle are NOT identical, and meet different specs for more things than you might think, starting with emissions...
  • Got the brochure in the mail - it looks very nice. The more I see this car the more I like it.

November issue of Motor Trend has a "hot drive" article on the LaCrosse. I have not got my issue yet so I do not know what it says.
  • Overall, it is a pretty positive article. It is not a full test report, but more of impressions of their first drive.

one excerpt-

"Lutz claims: This is the first car that is truly representative of what we want [Buick] to be again." To prove it, he provided a Lexus ES 330 for comparison. The Lacrosse CXS is notably quicker than the ES330 and about as quiet in terms of wind and road noise, but there's more engine noise in the Buick, and its ride is busier. Of course, the fact that any comparison can be drawn at all between a $23,500 to $29,000 Buick and the $32,000 to $39,000 Lexus is promising. Long live the czar!"
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    that the Buick feels substantially quicker than the ES330. For example, Car and Driver timed the 3650 lb. Camry Solara convertible, with the ES's same engine and transmission, at 7.2 to 60, and 7.7 using the Street Start method. Given that the ES is lighter than the Camry Solara convertible, I'd expect a 7 flat run to 60. For the LaCrosse CXS to feel substantially quicker than that, it'd need to be running mid 6s. I wonder if Lutz indeed provided the ES330, or much slower ES300?

~alpha
  • article says 330.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    Read somewhere that LaCrosse CXS accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 6.5 seconds.

Looks reasonable. 1997-2000 Regal GS used to make 0-60 in 6.5 if switched to the performance shift mode; starting from 2001 GM deleted the mode and the numbers dropped to about 7.2 sec. LaCrosse CXS will have much higher final gear ratio than Regal GS.
  • in Car and Driver as well. Write more after I read it.
    Cash price C$24900 (about U$19000) for a Allure CX in the paper this morning. Seems like a good deal for a refined 200hp sendan. Camry should worry a bit I would think.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I think GM is the company that should worry, if Allures are already selling for low prices. New models should sell near MSRP for at least a few days after launch, LOL.

~alpha
    I checked and the MSRP is 25200. It's not a big discount at all, just a low MSRP to begin with.
  • Stupid, but if they are real portholes, then wouldn't they let rain into the engine compartment? I know i sound dumb and all, I just wanna know how they would prevent it? Plastic caps on the insides?
    Anywhay I would really like to ask people that are intrerested in this car, no to compare it to a 330. If you do, you will get the latter. The 330 has real wood, a navigation system, and Xenon lights. Also I have seen many around so I know its popular. The Lascrosse looks strange, I have yet to see it in person from from the photos it looks like an old-folks car. I hope you like that (it is probably intended for old folks, though).
    The main thing is the interrior. The wood does not look convincing (i agree with Car and driver on this one) and it just seems underwhelming in general. A nav system looks like its missing from the dash aswell. And would the car look tons better if even the fake wood, was on the steering wheel too?
    I really like the way the Park Avenue looks. I know the wood is fake, but the way they used it was perfect.
    The engine and transmission shouldn't give you any problems though. GM is suually bulletproof in those areas (some 80's caddilac's not included lol).
    I guess my real question is, what do you like about the car?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Are you referring to the BMW 330 or Lexus ES330? Two very different cars, but I'm assuming you are referring to the Lexus. I wouldn't choose the ES330 over the Lacrosse mainly because the Lexus is not an attractive car on the outside and its much more expensive with no incentives. I have no interest in real wood, navigation, or xenon lights. The Lexus has a more luxurious looking interior but the Lacrosse is nice looking as well and can be had for much cheaper. And I definitely don't want a car with wood on the steering wheel. Though it looks nice, its nowhere near as comfortable to grip as a nice softly padded leather wheel.

As for styling, I think the Lacrosse has a clean elegant classy appearance that is much more appealing to me then the ES330. At 25 years old, I hardly think I'm an old person either. I think the Lacrosse fills a nice void left by the Diamante and Millenia by offering an executive grade luxury car at a reasonable price.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Whilst you are looking at the ES330, do NOT forget to take insurance into account. The incredible popularity of Lexus, the high cost of replacement parts and the presence of HID lights all work to greatly increase its insurance rates.

The LaCrosse's rates should be based on the old Regal, which are very economical indeed. Just one factor to look at when considering a car purchase...but one that many do not.
  • I guess it just looks boring and... unattractive to me, but everyone has their own sence of style, beauty is in the eye of the behlder yada yada yada ok.

But, well you can't say your at least a little disappointed by the lack of features for this car? I wonder, does it have stability control?

I'm not saying Xenon should be standard, but make both nav and xenon an option, you could attract more customers to the Buick name. Insurance would probably vary on differently equipped models.

So no one knows how those portholes work, eh?
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    I tried to run the numbers for the 2005 LaCrosse at the Edmunds True Cost To Own site, but the model is too new. I was able to run the numbers for the 2004 Buick Regal and the 2004 Lexus ES330. Based on 15,000 miles per year, the five year ownership cost of the Regal is $37,122. That works out to $0.49 per mile. For the ES330, the five year ownership cost is $38,572. That works out to $0.51 per mile.
        Even though the Lexus is more expensive to purchase, the superior resale value reduces the cost to own. I would hope that eventually the LaCrosse resale value will be superior to the Regal, but it may take some time.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    Yes but the ES330 is a horrible looking car. How can you value resale potential over styling? The Es330 is less attractive than the camry on which its based.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I'm confused why you are asking about portholes here? The LaCrosse doesn't have portholes. Only the Park Avenue does. I believe the porthole is simply a styling gimmick and does not actually allow air or water to get into the engine bay.

As for features, I'm not disappointed because I think the LaCrosse offers the features that are important to me. By the way, the CXS model does offer StabiliTrak.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    The talk about portholes is because Buick has indicated the LaCrosse will soon be modified to add the portholes, which are to again become a signature of Buick products.. It was mentioned in one of the cited articles, I believe one that I posted a link to here...
  • jbmjbm Posts: 29
    Hi gang, i sat in a lacrosse (I believe it was CXS) at the long island auto show this weekend.

Overall, it was just o.k. I think the overall build quality - in and out - is much better than the Regal GS. But there's really nothing striking about the car (versus the Regal GS, which, at least for the first few model years of its last incarnation, looked 'stealth' and 'young'.

But the car didn't get my me excited. Buick defnitely isn't going for a younger demographic like they (arguably) were targeting with the Regal GS. In fact, I spotted a couple senior citizens just positively *gushing* over the car. but the younger audience just wasn't into it.

-jbm