Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    The OnStar service seems to be a a separate, higher priced item. Except for the admittedly very useful, legally required here in the NY metro area, hands-free feature, my regular cellphone will do most of what OnStar does, for a lot less. And I have a hands-free gadget already.
  • Planning on selling my Eldorado in the summer and purchasing a Honda Accord EX V6 or Buick LaCrosse. Doing research on which is the better ride. I had a 1998 Honda Coupe V6 and loved it but my husband didn't like the ride. Any input anyone can give me will by appreciated. I truly am having a hard time on this one. Thanks!
  • I have only had our CX model a few days. I still have the "new car buzz" but I will try to be objective.

The ride is excellent. It rides like a Buick, but a modern Buick. Over broken pavement at highway speeds. It soaks up the bumps and 'floats" slightly over them. Yet the body doesn't roll over when driving through on/off highway ramps.

This car is very solid and secure. It matches a family memebers Lexus ES300 very well in build quality and ride. Which I drove a few hundred miles this past thanksgiving on a family trip.

We test drove the LaCrosse for 8 miles while shopping and we aimed for every pothole and it was exactly what we where looking for. We where going to buy a GM model anyway. But if comfortable highway cruising yet stable steering in a modern car is what you are looking for the LaCrosse is great.

The CXS model has a different engine and steering/suspension set up for a higher price point. If you are looking for more of a "sports sedan". I haven't driven a CXS model so I can't say how well it rides.

I just have to also note how excellent and tastefull the interior of the LaCrosse is put together. We paid $23,500 for ours with ABS/TC and silver option package and aluminum wheels, front flip/fold seat, and spolier. The remote starter with auto climate control is a nice feature that isn't in many other models at this price.

The car has some wieght too it. Which gives it a very solid feel, in a good way. A great highway car.

It would proably be best to test drive each model back to back some day if you get the chance too.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    The Buick definitely looks like a more expensive car than the Accord but that's just my opinion. In terms of value the LaCrosse should be better but resale will not be as good. Both cars will be solid choices, you can't go very wrong.
  • alydaralydar Posts: 4
    I've had my CX for two weeks and agree with shame that this car is very solid, super quiet, and great on the highway.

I only tested against an Accord LX 4cyl and the LaCrosse came out well ahead.
    4 cyl Accord is the same price as a CX so that's a fair comparison.
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    the CX is priced about a couple grand more than an Accord LX 4 cyl. an Accord LX V6 is more comparable in price and content.

for those of you who prefer ride comfort and quietness over everything else will like the lacrosse much more than the accord. but for the best overall engineered mid-size family sedan i think the accord wins hands down. in terms of value it's the best sedan period (IMO of course).

it'll be interesting to see how the lacrosse stacks up in upcoming comparison tests. is car and driver ever going to do a mid-size sedan comparison test again? the last time was way back in Feb 2002.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    Consumer Reports runs an annual auto issue every April. On page 77 of the April 04 issue, they predict the reliability of the 2004 cars based on their data. The Buick Regal is their highest rated family sedan followed by the Camry, Maxima, Mazda6, and Buick Century. The Honda Accord follows the Century. Since the LaCrosse is built in the same plant that the Regal was built in and shares many of the same parts, I am confident it will continue to be the most reliable family sedan in the world.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,190
    >in terms of value it's the best sedan period

How do you compute this? The cost of purchase is higher (Honda dealers sell at a premium), cost of maintenance is higher (dealers tend to oversell and pack extras on at the "required" maintenance visits or else you lose your warranty), etc. If you do trade the car, it does get a higher percent in trade because of the perceived reputation from the past. But I find for the people with whom I've worked through the years, the much higher purchase and the packed maintenance costs make it more expensive to own an Accord.

The recent models since '03 may have lesser trade values due to the many and continuing problems with quality and build.
    Well, the CDN base on an LX is C$24,300. Allure CX is $25200 so about $900 more. I would rather have an old 3800 than a 4 banger though, even a Honda one.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    I think the Allure is priced more aggressive in Canada than the twin LaCrosse is in the US. Doing a comparison, GM is not marking up the Allure by anywhere close to the current 1.23 exchange rate.
    the current accord has above average reliability so the problems aren't as paramount as you think. and since past accords have had problems too (no car is perfect in staying trouble free) nothing going to change in the resale front.

no doubt dealers overprice maintenance work but i'm not sure what you mean by "pack extras". that sure isn't required by the warranty. and i go by honda's maintenance schedule (7500 intervals) and not what the greedy dealer would like me to go by.

honda dealers sell at what you call a premium because the market allows for it. ask yourself why? it has a lot more to deal with than honda's reputation for reliability. the accord sells itself.

time will tell if the lacrosse has to resort to heavy incentives to sell. a car that has to sell by "briberly" usually doesn't have much long term value.

what i meant by value was what you get for the money. and IMO you get a lot of great engineering with the accord. but anyway, according to intellichoice the accord does very well in the overall ownership cost. they may have flaws in how they determine this but hey, it's a source to back my opinion.

by the way, tony swan from C&D said the accord was best sedan period in terms of value on the autoline detroit show. if he can say it, why not me?
    You should be reading the Accord groups here if you think the problems are trivial.

C&D I don't read to pick my cars. Some go by other's opinions...
    maybe you should know you can not determine a car's reliability as compared to others by reading such boards. i didn't state the accord's problems were trivial? i said its reliability is above average - which is true.

pop quiz. which car is stolen more, the accord or the corvette? but which car is at a much higher risk of being stolen? you know where i'm going with this. taking into consideration the accord's demographics, a high percentage of accord drivers are likely to be internet users. so reading about so many accord problems on the accord boards would give the impression that this is the most problematic car ever built - the results are skewed!

it's been almost a week since i last posted on edmunds and there were only 4 new posts on this topic. a brand new spankin car too. when the current accord first came out there were hundreds of posts to read through in a weeks time. the lacrosse could be the worst built car ever but it still wouldn't even come close to the number of complaints of the accord on edmunds.
    You own an Accord so of course you think it's the best value. Doesn't mean everyone will agree with you. If they did, everyone would own one.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    And in the meantime, can we talk more about the LaCrosse/Allure and less about the Accord? This particular place isn't supposed to focus on the Honda Accord. Nor is it a comparisons forum, once or twice is nice, but let's not go down that path of talking about the Accord over and over (like some other web forums have done recently)! Sigh.

I own a Five Hundred. I looked at the LaCrosse/Allure quite a bit before I bought my car. I used to own a 2000 Chevy Impala LS (in fact I got 173,000 almost totally trouble free miles on it!). There are many things I could say about the Five Hundred (or even the Impala) vs. the LaCrosse/Allure, but I have held my tongue, as I don't think this is the appropriate place for that. Perhaps I am wrong, but I doubt it.

Got to be some things to say about the LaCrosse/Allure....
  • rkw2rkw2 Posts: 66
    What does everyone think of the TV ads for the LaCrosse? Who do you think they appeal to? The ads that I see here in snowy NJ are for cars with all wheel/ wheel drive (Infiniti F35, Ford 500, Subaru). These are some of the vehicles that LaCrosse competes with and yet it does not offer allwheel drive or even stability control. This is where GM misses the mark. Their new vehciles are improvements over teh 7 to 10 year old designs they replace, but they continue to lag way behind the competition in the safety and ergonomic things that conumers request.....
    Your point is a good one. In fact, the AWD was a primary reason I left GM...
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    The only things that bother me about the 500 are the CVTs they put in them which I still don't trust and see no benefit from (mileage is no better than a 3.6L or 3.8L LaCrosse) and the engine which isn't super powerful. Other wise it's a nice package. The new Fusion seems to look better though, interesting that the cheaper car has a more attractive body.
    When I looked at the 500 it looked small overall from the outside. I didn't brave the salesmen inside the showroom to sit in one.

The car has the vertical side windows like the Avalon--not a good picture. That is what makes it look like they've kept the outside as small as possible and made the greenhouse feel as large as possible with the straight side windows.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    Off-topic: according to your Edmunds profile, you still own the 2000 Impala. Time to update the profile and to pay tribute to the extremely reliable car?
    Yes, LaCrosse offers stability control. GM names it Stabilitrak. It is a $495 (list) option with the CXS trim.
    Thanks, yurakm. It's fixed! :)
    Thank you for reminding! I also failed to update my profile after buying a new car.
    I like the ads for the LaCrosse. They are edgy and more exciting that I would have imagined. Buick really needs to break the stodgy image.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    I looked at the Allure (LaCrosse) but did not like the fact you were obligated to take the OnStar system which I consider a cash cow for GM while at the same time there was no availability of a torso airbag system, even as an option. I also did not like the "premium" sound system which I found tinny and inadequte and not nearly the equal of sound systems in other competing cars such as the Acura TL. I also found that the car was not nearly so quiet as the advertising would lead one to believe. Overall, I was disappointed in the car and think that GM could have done much, much better. I could not care less what the ads say, after all, they are designed to rope you in and get you to buy the car regardless of its many faults.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    "Consumer Reports" magazine is doing a test on the LaCrosse in the February issue. I am waiting for their test. It should be out shortly after the first of the month. I know that some people have their own opinions of these people but they have been testing cars for many years and I value their opinion. I do not base my decision only on their opinion but I would not buy a product without seeing what they have to say about it. We will find out in their evaluation how quiet the Lacrosse is. Let's wait and see what they have to say.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    I look forward to what Consumer Reports has to say about the 2005 Buick LaCrosse. My wife has a new LaCrosse in the garage, so naturally we are hoping for a good review. However, having owned three Regals, I am used to Consumer Reports giving the Regal a bad review and not recommending the car. This in spite of the fact that they admit that it is the most reliable family sedan in the world.(April 2004 Annual Auto Issue)

I had an opportunity to hear an interview with the editor of Consumer Reports on National Public Radio. He admitted to owning a Nissan Maxima, so maybe he is biased against a car (Buick) that is more reliable than his Nissan?
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    What you cite, to me, points to the fact that the publication is credible. In their tests, CR found the Regal not to perform well. However, this is not at all correlated to reliability, in which the publication readily recognized the Regal's excellence in this area.

If there was an agenda against the vehicle, I'd imagine they would not have reported outstanding reliability.

The fact that the editor owns a Maxima is an intersting one- I doubt he's biased since many V6 sedans are rated above it.

~alpha
    In another forum, Return of GM's Might, I believe, someone said CR had just replaced its second head of the auto review in 60 years. Shows why their bias stays around a long time.

I'm surprised any time I happen to pick up a copy and it says any sort of nice about a GM car. After all GM, Ford, and Chrysler were all a part of the military-industrial complex that kept American cars big and consuming gas during the 70s when CR liked anything green and not US.

CR liked anything with a rubber band, clutch, and manual transmission back then, which is what the imports supplied. They had stuck with them since on the basis that they have a reliability advantage. Reading the Accord discussions and some others, that advantage has disappeared as their cars became as complex as the US brands.