Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    You wrote: The cost of the OnStar electronics is likely adding very little to the car cost (probably less than $100)

OnStar [...] costs $695 - roughly $500 for the hardware and $200 for the first year's subscription fee, said OnStar spokesman Terry Sullivan.

Source:

http://www.xposed.com/rides/onstar_feature_continues_to_grow.aspx
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    They charge $500 + a year but it likely costs a lot less to make and install in all cars. More units made, less cost to GM per unit.

I heard they will soon be bundling XM and OnStar for $15 / month which would be ideal and I suspect a lot more people would bite.
  • robw64robw64 Posts: 76
    I rented a LaCrosse CXL last weekend while visiting my hometown (metro Detroit area). It's an excellent vehicle ... extraordinarily quiet, smooth ride, nice interior room and surprisingly powerful engine. I am just beginning the new car shopping process and was very pleased with the car. I started pricing the car compared to my other top contender, the Mercury Montego, and was disappointed to see such a low content to price ratio on the Buick. Everything is an option ... no multi-CD changer, no power passenger seat (???), no memory seats, and no ABS or traction control. A better-equipped Montego is about $3500 less. Does anyone know if the price will be coming down on these cars to make them more competitive?
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    I have a hard time believing that a comparatively equippepd Montego is $3500 less than a lacrosse. Everyone seems to be focused on the CXS model when the majority of the models sold will the the lower trim levels. Besides, no one is ever going to pay $33K for a CXS in today's market. You need to look at the invoice price and consider the incentives. I agree the MSRP is a little high but I'm sure most people expect to pay less than that. As for the imports not having inentives you need to remember than all these articles supporting that are talking about National incentives only. NAtionally imports have far less cash on the hood, but if you look in your local paper you will see all types of sales. In my area Toyotas and Nissans are always on sale for thousands off MSRP. You could probably get a Camry or Altima for $3000 off MSRP right now. Those discounts are never measured because they are done at the dealership level.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Au contraire, I think you will fine ONE Camry or ONE Accord at that come-on price in the paper. Go there and try to BUY the one you want at such a large discount. Good luck!

GM discounts are almost always available, even on a car as new as the LaCrosse. And the residuals aka trade in values show it.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,161
    on the road today. CSX model. But it had the 3 portholes on the front fenders that are glued on by a local city dealer on lots of his Buicks. AND the people buy them looking like that. Ruined a perfectly good-looking automobile.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    GMAC offers subsidized interest rates.

http://www.buick.com/lacrosse/specialoffers/northeast.html

Typical dealer discount is only $1000 according to Edmunds (TVM). $1500 purchase / $750 lease loyalty rebates, if they are still available. And only $1000 GM card rebates during year 2005.

In short, discounts are fair to good, but definitely not as great as wat was available, for example, with the last year Regal.
  • verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    and Altimas available here in the NYC suburbs. Nicely equipped, too, as the ads like to say, though we're talking 4 cyl cars here. Even an entry level LaCrosse 3.8 will outperform them easily! [Note that 4 cyl. Altimas weigh in at over 4,000 lbs!]. Now, if LaCrosses are showing up in rental fleets already, can similar real-world price tags be far behind? My heart's set on a CSX, though.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    Glued on portholes?! Now that's a classy car!
    4000 pound Altimas? NO Altima weighs anything close to 4000 pounds. Methinks you are mistaking gross weight, which is the curb weight of the vehicle PLUS a completely loaded interior...passengers and luggage to the maximum capacity.

The curbweight for a 4 cylinder Altima is exactly one pound over 3000 pounds.
    I think for most people a 3.8L CX or CXL will offer up much better value. "1487" is right, everyone seems to be comparing the CXS to other cars but the CXS is the top trimmed out car. Having driven many 3.8L powered cars in the past I can honestly say it's still a very competitive, smooth and efficient motor.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    The CXL tested by Consumer Reports had moderate options, but cost about $29,000, I believe. They rarely mention price these days, but pointed out that the car is pricey when you equip it similarly to other competing vehicles.

GM is clearly boosting MSRPs to allow for continued rebates- in the March 04 issue of Car and Driver, for example, the Terraza CXL is criticised for its $33,500 price tag while offering less than competitors. But the rebates, which make the vehicle much more attractive, are also cited.

~alpha
    Even a CXL with the same options is considerably less though, the 3.6L is not a cheap option.
    "Even a CXL with the same options is considerably less though, the 3.6L is not a cheap option. "

Less than what, and Im not sure Im understanding you, my apologies.

~alpha
  • verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    A 4 cyl Altima clocks in at 3001 lbs., just 400 lbs less that my '02 Regal.

And, right you also are, any 3.8 Buick will have excellent performance AND get 20 to 30 mpg on regular, to boot.

As to what people REALLY pay for similarly equipped cars....there's no substitute for shopping around the dealers.
  • robw64robw64 Posts: 76
    Following the advice in the recent posts, I've looked everywhere for LaCrosse discounts in the South (we live in Florida). There are no incentives or rebates to make the LaCrosse more price-competitive here ... we only have reduced financing rates. The cars aren't even advertised in the paper with prices ("Now in Stock, the all-new LaCrosse"), and the online shopping sites list the vehicles at full MSRP. I'm somewhat confused by this because I've not seen a single LaCrosse on the roads. Not even in the theme park areas (where rental cars comprise half the traffic). They're obviously not selling well, so incentives & rebates must be coming soon, right? We are, however, starting to see the new 500's and Montego's quite often.
    Not selling well?

On a new model, the supply is small at first. The buyers for this type car probably have them home in the garage. My newer car is my wife's and she drives it to work short distances and back and some grocery/store trips. You're not going to see it on the road much other than around the 'hood.

I've seen a few LaCrosses on the road. (What is the plural of a French word 'LaCross'?)

They have a taut, tight-looking ride like the little Mercedes wannabes.

Might be a LeSabre replacement in two years when used ones off lease show up.
    The jump from a CXL to a CXS Allure is C$5000+. Through in the extra options to compare and it's still about C$2500+ more. Have not looked at US prices.
  • I am not sure about Fl, but they have been offering dealer incentives in Colorado - $1500 + cut rate financing. In our case, we chose 36 month 0% interest (hey, its free money!). This is very similar to the incentives on the Camry ($1000 rebate). I would be surprised to see very many of them this year in rental fleets since that is the turf of the Regal and Century. As was suggested in another post, GM is slowly scaling up production. The dealer where we purchased our Lacrosse said they had sold about 12 so far. We had to special order our car in order to get the features we wanted, so the pipeline is not very full with cars yet.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    How long did it take to special order your car? How do you like it so far?
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    In my area you can get Altimas and Camrys at substantial savings. That is fact and I dont mean you can find one or two cars at those savings. No one in their right mind would pay near MSRP for those cars. The Accord and Mazda 6 are much less likely to be on sale and that probably explains why the 6 isnt nearly as popular as the other cars. Like I stated before you will see Altimas/Camrys in the paper for $3000+ of MSRP and most ads say (for example) "20 Available at similar savings!". They tell you right in the ads how much the dealer is knocking off the MSRP.

I havent seen a ton of Lacrosses but it will take time. At my closest dealer they typically dont have one outside so I know the supply is limited right now. When I was in Florida for four days last month I saw three.
  • For the special ordder, it took 4 weeks for the delivery (CX with side airbags, antilock brakes, split rear seat, lumbar support and different wheels). So far (2 days, 10 miles!) we love the car - extremely smooth and quiet on the road, very comfortable interior, good handling around town, adequate acceleration (not a sports car by any means, but then we didn't want a sports car). There have been a couple questions with respect to sales. While I have no clue as to the actual sales, I have a hunch that they are doing quite well based on the changes in "special offers". Last month, it was $1500 + 0% financing, this month it is $500 or 0% financing (according to the dealer).
    Its important to keep in mind that GM rebates often depend on the region. For example, in the Northeast, the current rebate on the LaCrosse is $2000 cash or cash plus incentive: $1000 +0%/36, 2.9%/48, or 3.9%/60.

~alpha
  • Thanks for the note and good point. Perhaps my speculation regarding sales should have been directed towards the "Western region" of the US.
  • dell46dell46 Posts: 18
    I recently purchased a Buick LaCrosse. It is a nice quiet good handling vehicle but it has no mechanical way to open the trunk. It only opens via the key fob or a control on the door. All electrical. If the battery goes dead how do you get the trunk open to get at your jumper cables? Do other vehicles come this way too? Does any one have any answers?
    My Ford Five Hundred is the same way. If the rear seats lower, the answer is the same as it is for my Five Hundred. Lower the back seats, crawl into the trunk, and either pull the thingy for the escape hatch or get the cables and start the car.

The day is coming when there will be no door keys. The passenger side door key is already almost a thing of the past....
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    And that's too bad. Because most people put their jumper cables in the trunk, and if you need a jump start and you can not open your trunk with your keys, you're out of luck and your jumper cables would be useless.

It's not a smart idea at all. How much would it cost for Ford or GM to put a regular key in the trunk? 75 cents??
    Why are you out of luck? It is a very simple matter to access the trunk from the back seat. Or do the LaCrosse back seats now lower?

I haven't even mentioned the other options, from calling road service (included during warranty, or your own thereafter), calling OnStar's safety service (provided you have such), using the set you keep in the garage or a next door neighbor's or a passing good Samaritan, etc.

It always amazes me when people fixate on a tiny change and insist on viewing it negatively. There were probably some cranks who didn't like it when automatic starters came out! <But what if the battery is dead, I can just crank it up and start an old one!> :)
    >It is a very simple matter to access the trunk from the back seat.

Yeah, just what my wife wants to do in 10 degree snow, climb through the backseat into the trunk and figure out how to open the latch from inside!!! Dumb idea.

>people fixate on a tiny change

>There were probably some cranks

Now a psychological diagnosis that they're fixation on something you think trivial.

I for one support the 'cranks' that think a

trunk latch should be there for the mechanical key. You do what you want, but don't ridicule my

desire for a keyed entry. I agree with samnoe and dell46.
  • Actually, even with a "dead" battery, you will almost certainly be able to open the trunk. A dead battery generally refers to the ability to run the starter motor, a process that requires a huge amount of power. Thus, even a dead battery should retain enough power to allow one to open the rear trunk. Even leaving the lights on should not result in a completely depleted battery since the lights shut off automatically after a fixed amount of time and, I think, the Lacrosse has run-down protection.

With respect to crawling into the trunk, getting the fold-down rear seats is an option. I would guess that most people will get this option, so there will be a few cars where you can't do the crawl.