Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• Can't wait for the Lucerne - let's just hope it doesn't look like the LaCrosse! Buick really seems to be going through an identity crisis. :-\
  • setzersetzer Posts: 127
    " Can't wait for the Lucerne - let's just hope it doesn't look like the LaCrosse! Buick really seems to be going through an identity crisis. :-\ "

Like Mercury was/is. Hopefully Buick can get its sales up so it doesn't slump down to Mercury's level and, even worse, Oldsmobiles level. But I'm guessing the future products Buick is offering will probably help it somewhat. Even the LaCrosse, even though it's not too groundbreaking, will get some buyers who want a comfortable American vehicle and could care less about all of the fancy features other cars have. I could see where this car would be perfect for my Grandparents who would probably want something simple they could use to drive to the store or their families' homes.

But only time will really tell what Buick's future will be like.
  • If your particular Accord has a 5-speed trans, then it has five different forward gear ratios. Torque converter lockup does not count as an additional ratio. Honda does have both 4 and 5-spd transaxles. But their 5-spd trans is not simply a 4-spd trans with a torque converter clutch. In fact, both their 4 and 5-spd boxes have clutches.

The torque converter clutch simply locks the converter's impeller (output from the engine) to its turbine (input to the trans). When the clutch is not engaged, the converter is a type of fluid coupling with the trans turning slower than the engine, even if only a little. Enging RPM drops a little when the torque converter clutch is engaged because the converter no longer is allowed to slip. There's now a direct physical connection.

Some transmissions may, in fact, lockup the torque converter in more than one gear! For instance, in a 4-speed trans, the torque converter clutch might be engaged in third gear in specific situations, as well as fourth. This still would be a 4-spd trans, not a 6-speed trans.

If I remember correctly, the Lacrosse is using GM's 4T60E transaxle, which has only four forward gears, and so is only a 4-spd trans. The Honda 5-spd, again, does indeed have five forward gears, not four.

Hope that helps.
    Joe
  • I have seen a couple on the road. Two red and one in white opal. The white one looked very sharp. I am looking forward to driving one. They look better in person, but do not stand out much.
  • Thanks for your comments. I already understood the technology of the fluid coupling in the torque converter and the lockup clutch mechanism, but your description was interesting nonetheless.

However, my question about the Accord transmission remains unanswered. I talked with a technician at my dealership today and he couldn't answer the question. He faxed me a transmission system description, which references 5 "speeds" forward and a lockup mechanism. It's also a very complicated document.

Anyway, this is not a forum about Accords, but about the new LaCrosse!

I thought this thread had died. Almost two weeks went by between recent messages.

Does anyone know when LaCrosses will be available at dealerships? I liked my '96 Regal and may migrate back to Buick if this new one is a decent car.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    I think the La Crosses are being built now. I have heard of sitings in the Toronto area (near the Oshawa plant).
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Every car Ive seen in advertising/marketing materials for the LaCrosse has been black, which I personally think looks great.

~alpha
  • I called my local dealer Saturday asking when the new LaCrosse will be available. The salesman told me late October or early November. He did not even ask for my name or phone number.
         I called a second dealer, and was told that they would have one in the first week of October, but it is already sold. I asked when I could have one for a 24 hour test drive, and he said it may be months as this is such a hot car right now. Does this make sense? If it is such a hot car, do you think the dealers will be able to get full sticker for the car? He told me that the 2005 Century will be built for five more months, and that this is limiting LaCrosse production. Do you think that there will be discounts by year end?
  • Hot car? Find another dealer. 99.999 percent of the American public (or more) hasn't even HEARD of the car. What a nutcase! :)

Dealers don't discount new models until they find out if they can get full sticker (or more) for them first. It is, after all, a business.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Most people do not know that the car exists, so it is not "hot."
    However, the fact that you are asking them about it before it has been released or advertised on tv indicates to them that you may be desperate to have it and will pay premium to get one of the first available.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I doubt it that this is a "hot car"
  • This discussion will move to the Sedans board this week.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    I can't imagine the Lacrosse being a "hot" vehicle but they may sell some with few incentives in the first few months.
  • I do not think this is hot vehicle. However, it looks much better in person than I thought. Even though I have no intention of getting a new car for a couple of years, I am looking forward to driving a LaCrosse.
  • Will it still be accessible through "Buick" from the main menu of car names?
  • Yup! Basically, you won't be affected unless you use the "browse by message board" feature. It'll stay in subscriptions if you're subscribed, and will show up in a search the same way. Oh, and you'll have a change of hosts - pat hosts discussions about sedans.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• There seems to be quite a bit of difference in pricing of the Allure and LaCrosse. The CXL Allure in Canadian Dollars is 27,865 converted to US is 2l,642. The LaCrosse in US dollars is 25,335. A considerable difference to just drive over the border to get one, unless the US will carry some rebates or incentives.
  • You can drive over the border and get what you want, but getting the car registered and warranty service will be HUGE issues. The Canadian vehicle and the US vehicle are NOT identical, and meet different specs for more things than you might think, starting with emissions...
  • Got the brochure in the mail - it looks very nice. The more I see this car the more I like it.

November issue of Motor Trend has a "hot drive" article on the LaCrosse. I have not got my issue yet so I do not know what it says.