Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    The G6, Vectra, Malibu, 9-3, and the Saturn version are all Epsilon. The LaCrosse, Grand Prix, and Intrigue are/were on the W-body. Very different; the W-body has been around for about 10 years. They've upgraded and improved the platform a lot for the Grand Prix and LaCrosse. Even those two will be hard to tell apart.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    W-body?? You'd think they'd at least make the platform with a flashy name like Epsilon or Sigma. LOL..just a thought. :)
    Back in the dark ages at GM (late 70s to early 90s), they used a rediculous amount of platforms. They had A, B, E, F, G, H, J, K, N, P, U, W, X, and Y-bodies. There are probably more that I can't remember.

Now they are trying to take a Japanese approach to things, reducing the amount of different platforms and re-engineering them for different vehicles, so they can look and drive differently.
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    are on the Epsilon, a platform developed under the management currently heading GM.

The W body, which will base the Buick LaCrosse was developed during the early Zarella days.

Other than that they are both car platforms, there is nothing in common with the Epsilon and W platforms.

The Nox and VUE share a platform and are in many ways the same.

Toyota, Honda, BMW and DaimlerChrysler are all big platform sharers. GM sells more cars through more branded dealerships. Most likely its percentage of swapped platform sales is right in line with the competition.

FACTS JOEY. FACTS.
    Exactly right. Honda uses the Accord platform for everything, but they re-engineer it for each application, which is a much better idea.

BTW if it means anything to anyone, Epsilon was primarily engineered in Europe.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    toyota spawns about ten vehicles off the camry platform.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    about 10 on the FM Global (read: Altima) platform.

~alpha
    posted all the GM platform alphas:
    10 points per if you can name at least TWO of the cars that at one time shared that platform. (I have to confess, I dont know them all).

~alpha
  • All off the top of my head...

A: Buick Century, Pontiac 6000, Chevrolet Celebrity, Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera/Cruiser

B: Chevrolet Caprice/Impala, Buick LeSabre/Estate, Pontiac Parisienne, Oldsmobile Delta

F: Chevrolet Camaro, Pontiac Firebird

G: Pontiac Bonneville, Chevrolet Malibu, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

H: Chevrolet Vega, Pontiac Astre, Chevrolet Monza, Buick Skyhawk, Oldsmobile Starfire, Pontiac Sunbird

J: Chevrolet Cavalier, Cadillac Cimarron, Pontiac 2000/Sunbird/Sunfire, Buick Skyhawk, Oldsmobile Firenza

N: Buick Skylark, Pontiac Grand Am, Chevy Malibu, Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais

W: Chevrolet Lumina, Chevrolet Impala, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, Buick Regal, Buick Century, Pontiac Grand Prix, Oldsmobile Intrigue, Buick LaCrosse (2005)

X: Chevrolet Citation, Pontiac Phoenix, Oldsmobile Omega, Buick Skylark

Yeah, so there are a few I don't know :-)

-Andrew L
    What I have:

P is really P90. That's what the old Malibu, Grand Am, and Alero are on.

G is the premium front-drive platform. The Park Ave., Deville, and Aurora are on it.

The Delta 88, LeSabre, and Bonneville are on H.

K is the old Seville.

The U-bodies are the minivans. The Y-bodies are the Corvette/XLR.

A good, fairly complete list: http://www.automotive-esources.com/platforms_codes.htm
    Congrats, a_i_hubcaps and theo! And thanks for the link, theo.

I'd like to add:

T: Chevy Chevette, Pontiac T1000/1000.

~alpha
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Don't care for it much. It looks too much like the GP with a Buick face on it.

Hopefully it has a good powertrain and interior though. That would make up for the so so looks.
    I guess the name in Canada will be the Buick Allure,
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Roofline/side windows are nearly a dead ringer for current Taurus. Front end has some resemblance to Taurus/Jag.

Doesn't look bad, but definitely not cutting edge. I wouldn't expect much cutting edge out of the Buick Division anyways, given the demographic of their customers, and I don't think GM wants to change the Buick customer base that much anyways, except to give them SUV options.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Seems very derivative. Oh well atleast the interior pic that has been floating around looked good. Ford 500 is probably much more modern though just as unoriginal in styling.
    Which site did you see the interior shot?

Car is nothing exciting but a good power train and interior will attract attention. Definitely nothing cutting edge here but better than the spy shots I saw 2 years ago of the 04 Regal.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    So is that supposed to lure buyers away from the imports!?!
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    Did ford revise the front end of the Taurus?

Looks like the Taurus and LeSabre mated and had a child with a Riviera rear end.

Check, just scratched that one off the list. I can buy a new Taurus with multivalve for like 15-16k. GM will be charging 25+ for the same thing. Not worth the ten grand diff. If it had some style, sure, but this thing's a yawner.

If people want to buy something that looks like a Taurus, why not just buy a Taurus?
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    Anybody who likes the styling can save a lot of money by buying a leftover 2003 Taurus! We think alike, reg!
    I see no Taurus here? I see some Jag, some Buick, some GP..

The car looks better blown up. I saw a bigger picture on Cheersandgears.com. Car could appeal to anyone in the boomer age and up so long as it's well made, refined, has a solid power train and a good interior. We shall see,
    I see no Taurus, and if this car is as anywhere near as able performing as the Malibu, I think it deserves consideration.

~alpha
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Greenhouse is a dead ringer for Taurus. If I only saw the car from the top of the doors up, it appears to be a dead ringer-especially the 96-99 Taurus before the roof was raised for more headroom but I doubt they copied the oval rear window from 96-99! Oval grille is nearly identical to 2000-2003 Taurus, and slope of hood is nearly identical as well, along with lower horizontal grille below the bumper.
    ...But not mine. I seem to have different eyes than most, though, as people are saying they see VW/Audi in the styling of Five Hundred, whereas, I see Freestar.

Even so, why are people writing this model off already? We dont have many concrete details, we dont have any press reviews, nor consumer test drives. This car is not a repeat case of the seemingly uncompetitive GM "crossover" vans (think: Saturn Rebate), so I'm not really sure why this design is not being give a chance. Personally, I'd prefer the name of the car to be Allure in the USA as well, LaCrosse is just stupid, makes me think of the sport, and I see no correlation.

~alpha
    Don't see the Taurus.. sorry. Front looks very Jag though, another Ford product.

Allure seems a bit better. I don't mind LaCrosse though. I really hope they are dropping the 3.6L in there as an option at least. Car doesn't appeal to me really, but I think it will to the 40+ crowd.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I don't see too much Taurus.
    I see Lexus GS300/400 headlight treatment and GP greenhouse(roof stamping).

This vehicle will be available with 2 engines.
    Will the 3.6L from the CTS/SRX be one of them?
    Yep. Check post 50.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Answered my own question.

Looks like the 3.6L VVT motor from Cadillac will be optional.

Plus more legroom due to longer wheelbase than regal.

Seems like a nice replacement for an Impala or instead of a CTS.