Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    ABS becomes standard across the board. I believe that was the only major change.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    I love my 3.8L Grand Prix GT. Efficient, quiet, smooth and easy to service. Progress for the sake of progress isn't always the best thing. Maybe I'm getting old, but the OHC engines are over rated I think.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    Dan165 posted this here awhile ago.
    AY1) Air bags, side head curtain are now standard on all models
    (AK5) Air bags, frontal now require a fleet or government type order
    (PEB) Silver Convenience Package, is now (PDD) Comfort and Convenience Package
    (PEC) Gold Convenience Package is now (PCI) Driver Confidence Package
    (JL9) Brakes, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc and Traction control, Enhanced Traction System are Standard on CX and CXL

There should also be 2 new exterior colors.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    Thanks! I figured it would.
    Thanks very much.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Wow.. that is amazing. Buick will have the safest sedan on the road!
    All the automotive companies have agreed to install curtains standard. It is a question of when.
    What are frontal air bags? Won't the LaCrosse have the normal steering wheel/dash air bags? I thought that GM was going to put stabilitrak in all its cars and trucks as standard equipment. I wonder when they will get to the LaCrosse. I understand that the SUVs were going to have it standard for '06 along with some sedans.
    I have no idea on the frontal bags. Makes no sense. I am sure they will be on all cars though.

Stabilitrak I bet will be standard on the '07 or '08 CXS. The rollout for GM will take a few years and there seems to be quite a bit of complaints on the MSRP of the CXS already. Another $400 or so willonly make it worse.

The 3.8L cars will need to be developed and will take a few years?
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    When it says air bags, frontal is an option only for fleets, it means that ALL vehicles come with the side air curtains TOO, unless a fleet order wants ONLY frontal airbags....Got it?
    Oh yea, that is what we decided!! Forgot about that one. keeps the price down for fleet i guess.
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    The Buick Lacrosse was featured in a Car and Driver comparison test featuring the Chrysler 300, Ford Five Hundred, Kia Amanti, Nissan Maxima and Toyota Avalon. The Lacrosse took fifth. It might have done better in the test, however it proves the competition is that much better.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=9639&page_number=1
    issue discussed here was how they chose the cars. Avalon and Maxima do not make sense together. Ford 500, Avalon and 300 are pretty large cars. Better comparison in my mind would be Maxima/Camry XLE/Accord/LaCrosse/Amanti.
    Thanks - That clears it up.
    I don't know what it proves. It may prove that Car and Driver as well as CU just loves everything foreign. I drove the Montego which is essentially a Five Hundred. Wierd transmission. The 300 windows are too high. The Avalon feels like a small car and the information panel in the center of the dash is silly and distracting. I'll take the LaCrosse and I haven't even driven the Maxima and Kia.
    Said it before, comparing the Avalon that starts more than $10K more than the LaCrosse is just not a fair comparo.

I like the 300 but over all I would go with the LaCrosse because 300 styling will be getting old in a few years. 500 tranny is questionable (as are all CVTs) and it has no engine option. Avalon should be a Camry for this comparo and it's as dull as you can get in a sedan.
    Maxima is a sporty car. Rough ride, etc. but very nice car. I would compare to Grand Prix.
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    "I don't know what it proves. It may prove that Car and Driver as well as CU just loves everything foreign."

lets don't forget edmunds' comparison test that included the lacrosse. they must love everthing foreign too!
    the altima makes the maxima almost irrevelant.

like the lacrosse, it's not readily clear what the maxima's competition is.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    One has an excellent and well made interior....The other, even after revisions, is just a wee bit better than a bad joke. At least GM did a GREAT job on the LaCrosse interior!
    point taken. not that i would classify the maxima's interior as excellent but it's definitely better than the altima's interior. what i would classify as excellent would be the audi line.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    That makes no sense at all. The Avalon starts at $26.5K USD, and the LaCrosse, $23.8K. 10K? Are you from Canada? If so, please keep in mind that this is a US publication we're talking about, and the majority of sales of these vehicles are in the US. The tested LaCrosse was more expensive than the tested Avalon, and both featured strong DOHC engines. The two are dimensionally similar, the LaCrosse actually being a longer vehicle. Seems like comparo material to me.

The Camry is dull and should therefore have been tested for this comparo simply so that the overpriced LaCrosse be made to look good? (Note that a Camry SE V6 fully loaded would be $30K, including NAV and moonroof, which the tested LaCrosse, at $32K, had neither. It would have also likely been an equal in performance measures.)

You whats even funnier? I bet had the Lucerne been out, and been tested here instead, everyone would be bellyaching that the Lucerne really isnt an Avalon/300/Five Hundred competitor either.

I personally think this one was a great comparo, and Im glad both the Maxima and the LaCrosse (as well as Amanti) were in this test. (FWIW, its not just b/c the Avalon won. MT did a similarly good comparo, except it was only the Five Hundred, 300, LaCrosse CXS, and LAST GENERATION Avalon much earlier this year... the Avalon placed fourth. But guess what? Just as in this test and every other one I've seen, the LaCrosse finished BEHIND the 300 and Five Hundred. Personally, Id take a LaCrosse CXS over the Ford for its engine, but would choose the Ford over the CX and CXL variants).

~alpha
    Maxima is an uplevel Altima. It is a bit sportier, has a few more features available and, most important, a bit more expensive!
    Yes the 500 and 300 are excellent cars. Issue is can you drive the 300 or 500 with their looks? Before everyone screams the 300 is great looking, it is a bit over the top. The retro hitman look is not for everyone. The 500 goes the other way. It is very conservatively styled and will do well because it does not offend anyone. In the long run the 300 will start to lose sales. The 500 will continue to go up.

LaCrosse is a bit sportier than the 500 yet conservative. It will slowly pick up sales for about 4 years and then start to drop. Once prices are announced for '06 it should get an uptick in sales.

Lets hope that the new vehicles at GM Styling that the press recently saw will come out and do well. The fate of our country is in GM's hands.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    I know this is a LaCrosse discussion but does anyone know when the LeSabre will end production? Is it this year or '06?
    this year very soon. See the lucerne forum for more info.
  • verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    What did this one prove? Let's see.....the KIA's old tech w/lots of content at a real low price; I drove one as a rental and it reminded me of the '55 Dynaflow my dad drove. The Avalon seems to cover all the bases - power, economy, content, luxo-stuff, q-u-a-l-i-t-y, and, you can bet, the HIGHEST real-world price in this or any comparable group. In between are three EXCELLENT cars - the 300, the 500, and the LaCrosse. The 300 has the gangsta looks, the 500 wins on practicality, and the LaCrosse - well, call me biased, but, especially at today's real-world prices, I think its my winner. It drives like a MODERN Buick - smooth, progressive controls with just enough effort needed to keep things smooth 'n' fast. The suspension'll stick to most roads and keep you out of trouble - I don't know WHAT C&D had against it's tires. I don't care to spend Avalon $$$; the 300's a punch line to a joke I can't tell; and the 500's about two years away from the drivetrain/$$$ ratio it'd take to sell me. As for the Maxima, it's so 1999. Oh, and BTW, those C&D drivers must really leadfoot those economy runs to get such low results.
    I lost a couple of thousand dollars when I dumped a brand new Solara convertible that everyone on Edmunds loved as well as every reviewer except CU which said it had convertible flex. Not only did it flex but you felt every pebble in the road. This is the "European Ride" I guess. You can have it. I drove the LaCrosse as well as the Avalon and Montego. The LaCrosse had a good ride, handled well, and if you get a CXL with options you can get it for around $23k delivered. Toyota dealers give you a thousand off on an Avalon and act like you are driving them to the poor house. I'm ordering an '06 LaCrosse and doubt that I'll have any maintenance problems for 100,000 miles. I always had great luck with Buicks and lousy luck with Fords. Toyotas are very dependable but cost a fortune to perform all the stupid dealer services. If I wanted to drive a sports car I'd buy a Ferrari -new or used. "Sport Sedans" in my experience equate to a rough bumpy ride. I like to sit in my '03 Deville, plump my fat behind on the leather seats, put the automatic air on 70, speed up to 75 and hit the cruise control. That's my kind of car and I could care less if Car & Driver, Motor Trend, CU, etc agrees with me.
    Sorry, they don't sell the stripper base Avalons XLs in Canada and $10K CDN = about $7500 US. They have still compared a top line LaCrosse with a 2nd / 4 tier mid level Avalon. Comparison is still not quite equitable from that stand point.

In reality (which is what should be used) LaCrosse competes with Camrys and Accords, not Avalons. This is why Camry should be included instead of Avalon.
  • jmw4jmw4 Posts: 67
    If the ratings of this comparison were looked at in detail, it would show the Lacrosse fared well in many of the performance and handling aspects of the test, but lost heavily on the last two "subjective ratings" of Fun to drive, and gotta have factor. These last two opinion based ratings were what placed it below all but the KIA. They also did not seem to put much emphasis on quiet, a feature I value and something the LaCrosse excels in. Having taken a long ride yesterday in a friend's 3 year old Mercede's E class, between the hard seats and the tire/road noise from the low profile sport tires, I couldn't wait to get back to the quiet and comfort of my CXS.