Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    the impala is definitely a better buy. They are charging a premium for the lacrosse, but it doesnt have the features to justify it's price when compared to the Impala. I am wondering if the new Impala is going to hurt Lacrosse's sales in the long run.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    wards auto on line.
    What features on the Impala that the LaCrosse does not have?

I see the V8, special rear folding seat.
  • We got new Allure/Lacrosse CX a month ago and after ~1600km/1000mi the car started to develop some rumbling/howling noise in right front wheel/tire only on highway speeds, also even on the smoothest newly paved roads I could feel slight vibration in my steering wheel. Dealership was not convinced about my complain after they changed bearing assembly and put some insulation under the wheel caps but the noise was still there. I will come back there again to stress that out.

We were delighted with the car but so far somehow that spoiled the show, this is my second Buick (old Regal 91' never had that problem) and we loved the ride but this pissed me off royally after a few short getaways in Toronto area. It should be smooth and QUIET on the highway like all Buicks! :cry:

Did anybody have similar experience? Please advise.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,199
    Could it be the tires? I assume the dealer switched the wheels around to verify that the sound didn't move with that tire?

Alignment been set to middle of range?
  • I already suggested to check the balance or runout but they dismissed that cause right away :confuse: .

I work as pump designer and I know about noise and vibration a lot. To me it must be tire disbalance/runout, driveshaft concentricity issue, bearing tolerances or according to some Range Rover internet forums power steering system/pump failure on highway speeds it does not perform well or it does not work properly.

The tires were "as is" from day one. I don't like those GY Integrity tires anyway.
    If your dealer is willing to troubleshoot what may not have any track record with GM before... my service manager seemed to have had good info from GM about all kinds of things that had worked with various H (G) bodies with vibration from wheels that had varying road force and how it transmitted through the body.
    Lighter unsprung weights due to alloy parts, aluminum wheels. stiffer 60 series tires with wide tires cause problems for some drivers.

Try a set of wheels from another new LaCrosse which when test driven does not show the vibration. This requires putting both cars up on lifts for a time and switching out the wheels, driving yours, and then switching wheels back.
    That will eliminate the wheels.

In an Accord discussion, some lead problems have been causes by engine cradle being slightly out of place. When they reset the whole front engine cradle, the odd lead is gone.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    The Impala also has MP3 disc capability and a jack for your MP3 Player or other external music source. Nice touch.
  • Thanks for the advice, I have to get back to my dealership service and try to go for test ride with them and leave the car for a day.
    Annoying problem but still minor inconvenience, to set aside my wife's grunt about buying Japanese instead GM. I thought with Buick I would have peace of mind. :(
    Yes, the LaCrosse uses the old style radio with an integrated faceplate. An MP3 compatible CD radio is available but w/o the port jack.

Seems like there is not much difference in features between the two.
    If your dealer cannot help you try another dealer. Sounds like tires to me and Goodyear is used by everyone so not Buicks direct fault.

Sorry!
  • Have any Allure/LaCrosse owners notice an increase in engine/transmission noise entering the passenger compartment when accelerating in 1st and 2nd gears. The noise in my Allure appears to have increased after the brake pedal recall service was performed. It leads me to suspect that some insulation/sound deadening material may have been removed and not replaced. The dealer and GM Canada have been of no assistance. Any suggestions?

Overall, I am very happy with the Allure and would buy another one.

The only disappointment is that I paid C$950. for chrome alloy wheels and ended up with standard alloy wheels that have a chrome plastic overlay.
    If they worked in the engine compartment, look for hoses for heater, power steering that may be moved so they touch metal and transmit more vibration to the frame or firewall and you hear it. I had power steering hoses on a LeSabre that had shifted where they were tied to hold them in place with zipties.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    The one thing that draws me to the LaCrosse/Allure is the 3.6L engine. Coming from an Intrigue with a 3.5L Twincam, I would like to get a similar engine. That said, with the VVT on the new 3.5 and 3.9 on the Impala, maybe I wouldn't care than much.
    I am seeing a lot of LaCrosses in the Detroit area. Not all company cars either. Drivers are from 40-70.
  • I have a LaCrosse CXS that I bought three months ago. I traded a 99 Regal GSE with the supercharged 3800 engine. I got 22 MPG with the Regal and it had lots of performance. I was hoping for slightly better mileage with the LaCrosse without the premium fuel requirement. Not so! I am getting 19 MPG and the dealer checked it out and could find nothing wrong. I calculated my mileage by hand and confirmed what the on board computer is showing. Anyone considering a LaCrosse CXS with the 3.6L engine, beware! It's also a dog compared to the 99 Regal I traded in.
  • batistabatista Posts: 159
    The 3.6L in the LaCrosse is underpowered for torque. It has only 225lb/ft of torque which is pathetic for a DOHC engine of this size.
    The 3.6L in the CTS has 255 lb/ft. I do not know why they detuned it so much.
    Is that 19 MPG combined?

Keep in mind the A/C in the summer kills mileage.
  • I was testing my CX since day one and it showed 34 mpg on flat highway at speed limit speed (55-65) and 31mpg at normal driving 65-75 mph, combined ~50/50 consumption was 22-23 mpg so far. Usually running at 2000 rpm+/-10% Original spec says 20/29 mpg, although not the same engine but also depending how heavy foot you have. I found quietness of the car also a bit confusing because I didn't hear old Regal engine rev. I guess people tend to step on the gas harder to get that old "Buick Regal tune". Mine was 91' with 155K on it (sent to "Car Heaven" :( ) and it was a different animal. My Allure/Lacrosse is more groomed and slow soft rock type of car which is ok. I guess I am getting old ;)

Besides that tire noise I described earlier one really great car!!!

...just my 0.02$
  • I am seeing a lot of LaCrosses in the Detroit area. Not all company cars either. Drivers are from 40-70.

Hard to believe that they're not company cars.

Saw a bunch of Pacificas in Detroit when they came out last year. But when I returned to Chicago, only saw them parked in the dealer lots. Its still rare to see a Pacifica, I think Toyota sells more Prius' than Chrysler sells Pacificas.

I highly doubt the cars purchaed in Detroit reflect the buying patterns of the rest of the country.
    I'm not sure what the statemetn
    "Hard to believe that they're not company cars" means but in this area they're not company cars. I am seeing a lot of them and the rate is about the same as Regals and LeSabres used to be. The buyer demographics seems broad as well. Can't stereotype it as an older, wiser, carbuyer's vehicle.
  • Oh I don't know, who could possibly be head quartered in Detroit?

In Detroit everyone and their uncle knows someone who work for the big 3, and as such benefit from employee discounts from those manufacturers. So wouldn't this market be slanted to those makers?

Its like driving through Auburn Hills (DaimlerChrysler) headquarters and not be surprised that every other car is going to be a brand new Pacifica, Durango or 300.

I'm sure Stuttgart has its share of Mercedes and Bimmers driving around but I don't think that would be reflective of what the rest of Europe is driving.
    All he said is that they are not company cars and that they are selling well here. Yes, many get employee discounts, even you can!!! :D
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    I dont live near Detroit but I am seeing more and more lacrosses. Admittedly I wasn't seeing many three or four months ago, but now I am seeing quite a few. Most of them are the mid level model, but I do see CXS models now and then. The car looks much better with the 17" rims, which I feel should be standard. I hope they upgrade this car for '07 to make it superior to the cheaper Impala.
    CXS should sell about 10% of total volume. That is about what the GS Regal sold when combining Century and Regal sales.

Yes 17" would look better but the ride would suffer and the CX/CXS need to have a great ride. And I do not mean the Buick ride of the past. The cars with 16" have a ride comparable to the Camry but slightly firmer than the Lexus.
  • It sure is underpowered. I miss the 280 lb-ft of torque that my sc 3800 engine had in my 99 Regal. With variable valve timing the torque curve is flat from 1500 RPM to 5000. That helps a bunch, but does not make up for that supercharger. I was a little surprised that they got away with regular gas with a 10.2:1 compression ratio. That may have something to do with the reduced torque rating compared to the same engine in the CTS. Sometimes packaging constraints force intake and exhaust compromise that can reduce power as well.
  • Yes that is combined. I drive about 22 miles one way to work and that is about 50/50 interstate highway and city. My Regal typically lost about 1mpg in the summer with AC on. The dealer reset my average to zero on the on board computer to see if the initial idling etc while it was on the lot at the dealer was dragging down the average. It helped about 0.3 mpg so far. I'm all the way up to 19.6 average. Whoppy!
  • Your CX has the 3800 engine. Down on power compared to the 3.6L and geared differently. My CXS runs about 2400 rpm at 70-75 mph. All part of the tuning. If you went from a 91 with 155k to an 05 you made a giant leap in sophistication and NVH. I noticed a big difference from my 99. I found myself driving slower at first because it was so quiet and smooth. My 99 Regal was the fastest car I've had since my 69 Camaro SS w/ a 396. That tells you how old I am. I guess we fit the typical Buick demographic.
    Have you tried different brands of gas? I know a lot of people complain about Costco gas mileage for example. Mite be another idea to get better mileage.
  • I read that 3.8L 3rd generation engine meets SULEV standard (90% less emissions gases than 2003 tire 1 models!), that's why maybe different tuning and entire design approach. Not sure about 3.6 VVT, I think higher than that, maybe ULE or so...can that affect the engine performance? I guess so...see link below

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/by model/2005_Buick_Lacrosseallure.shtml

I am not that old :shades:, maybe just "an old school" ("only" 37 but with wife is the most conservative driver/passenger as "supervisor"). That's why we picked CX, enough power and great value after all incentives. Here in Toronto I got mine for <$25K US "on the road". Anyway in Metro area you can't spread your wings too much, traffic is mostly average to slow...I could step on old Regal and have zoom effect more than new Allure but now the new baby goes with Pink Floyd CDs nice and SMOOTH! We loved the style too, meanies compare it with Taurus but I would say older E Class MBenz. Especially in black/gray color!