Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    I am not a big fan of CR but it should help LaCrosse sales.
  • I don't like CR because they are biased especially against GM, even for this year CR was better PR than any Toyota magazine. :mad:

I am actually surprised about this recommendation for new Buick :confuse: Strangely nobody considered NTHSA source for build quality and reliability. My in-laws and wife ran me through the mud citing similar drill from CR or car media reviews trying to convince me to buy Japanese. Now all of them admit that Allure/LaCrosse is a great car...

Anyway I did my homework before I bought my Buick Allure 2005 and compared it to Malibu LS V6 (my 2nd choice), Camry, Accord and Altima. BTW in Toronto those bare bone import 4 cyl. trims base prices were 2-3K$ higher (+ 15% taxes + all fees on the top of that) than Buick.

Here is what I found today at NTSHA site (numbers were a bit lower in July/August):
    Model-Year /Recalls/Defects/TSBs/Complaints
    Accord-2005 /2/0/62/44
    Camry-2005 /1/1/17/85
    Altima-2005 /0/0/21/60
    Malibu - 2005 /0/0/60/23
    LaCrosse/Allure - 2005 /1/0/22/34
  • In the city today (manhattan), and now i find someone selling them on ebay for the lacrosse! I think they make the car look $1000 more expensive, at least.

What do you think?

It would make sence for GM to offer them on at lease the top versions of the Lacrosse, since the new lucerne will now have them. They look great, like they belong there.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    They are the Park Avenue portholes. Before you buy from ebay call GM parts for a price.

These allow air to go thru them to be "realistic". Do people feel that to use the portholes on a Buick they should be "real"?
  • Not on my LaCrosse!
  • 2005 Vehicle Satisfaction Awards

PASSENGER CARS:
    Premium Mid-Size Car - Nissan Altima/Buick LaCrosse
    Standard Mid-Size Car - Mazda6

http://www.autopacific.com/sub.php?...roup=243&id=668
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,307
    Bad link in message. I get garbage when I click.
  • According to the GM announcement today, car plant #2 in Oshawa, Ontario will be closed by 2008 at the end of the current car lines (LaCrosse/Allure and Grand Prix)production. This seems like a very short run for the LaCrosse/Allure.

Any rumors on the replacements?

Oshawa car plants #1 & 2 are number 1 in North and South America for quality and productivity.
    The Impala line is going flex for the next generation and all 3 sedeans and the Monte Carlo will be built on one line.

That's my understanding. It's making full use of one plant rather than having 2 build these sedans.
  • I read somewhere the LaCrosse may get a facelift for '07 including portholes, is that true?
    Where did you read this?
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    I read the Lacrosse was getting a facelight and V8 engine for 2007MY. Dont know if that is true or not, but I saw a front end pic that was reminiscent of the Velite concept car.
    Where did you see the picture?
  • I read about the changes for '07 on cheersandgears.com
    I have heard on a few sites a new Lucerne like grill is in the works for the LaCrosse.

The front end on the LaCrosse could use a little beefing up so I am all for it.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Timababy, I moved your post to our Help Me Choose! discussion since that's a better place for your question. Here's a link to where it is now: timababy, "Help Me Choose!" #1066, 7 Dec 2005 4:26 pm

If you have a specific question about the LaCrosse, feel free to post it here. Welcome and good luck!
    The Buick General Manager gave an interview and said by 2010 Buick will have 4 products. LaCrosse, Lucerne, some kind of smaller Rendezvous crossover replacement and a larger crossover. Minivan is going away and replaced by larger crossover.
  • jh1977jh1977 Posts: 40
    Have anybody driving a 2005 or 2006 LaCrosse with the 3800 engine had any problems with the engine? If you have had no problems with the 3800 Engine, are you satisfied with its performance regarding acceleration.
    This engine has been around for a million years. I doubt anyone would have any significant issues.
    Have anybody driving a 2005 or 2006 LaCrosse with the 3800 engine had any problems with the engine?

the engine is the series III which includes enhancments to make it quieter in the Buicks. It has a new aluminum structural oil pan which stiffens up the block for less frequency responses.
  • I saw one with portholes on the highway yesterday. It was black. Very cool looking.
  • As others have said this basic engine has been around since the 70s. There have been several improvements to reduce parasitic friction loses. I had a series I in a 93 Regal and a series II in a 99 Regal. I had no problems with either. I drove a LaCrosse CXL and was not happy with acceleration, so got a CXS with the 3.5L. Acceleration is still not great and gas mileage sucks (<20 mpg). The 3800 engine is reported to get mid 20s combined.
    I rented a base Allure CX over the holidays for a day and came away impressed. The 3800 was nicely isolated and the ride was fairly firm though not quite as sporty as my Intrigue. I can imagine the CXS being much better.

Still, for the money, I'd take a base Allure over a 4 banger Camry any day. Now if GM would just fix up the front end of the car a little..
    Base LaCrosse rides like a Camry with a V6. Except a slight bit better ride.
  • mirde98mirde98 Posts: 95
    I work for a car rental company and last week i rented a silver LaCrosse CXS with 103 miles on. I was so impressed with the LaCrosse and made me belive that GM can really build good cars. My last GM rental was a new Equinox LT with 10 miles aprox and i was dissaponted with the interior. Not the case here in the LaCrosse. The ride was controlled and comfy. To my opinion the exterior looks sharp. The interior materials are excellent. The Auto climate contols worked well and the audio sistem was great. THe leather seats were supportive and soft to the touch. Tons of convenient features. Being used to have 4 cyl cars...i knew that the LaCrosse were gonna hit my wallet at the gas station, so i went easy on her...i didnt race the engine. I got about 21mpg. Im trully impress with this car. I never got the chance to see under the hood to see what engine it had (i was on vacation) but it was smooth and peppy. My only issue with the LaCroose with the back seat space. Not very generous compared with our 2004 Galant and 2000 Accord. So i give the LaCroose a 9 out of 10.
    Sure the rental was a CXS and not a CXL?

CXS is the top of the line with a 240hp 3.6L.
  • Yes it was a CXS. Didnt had a sunroof though.....but it was the CXS.
  • Does anyone know if a service bulletin has been issued concerning the installation of a modified mounting bracket for the external temperature sensor on early production LaCrosse/Allure cars. I would like to know the bulletin number if one has been issued.
    Gordon
  • Further to my post regarding the external temperature sensor, the driver information centre would go blank when I went through a car wash. It would come back on when one of the information centre control buttons was pressed.
    I was also getting inaccurate external temperature readings until the engine compartment warmed up

The problem may have been poor routing of the sensor wires which allowed them/sensor to get moisture contamination.

When the dealer ordered a new sensor, they ordered one with a new bracket. The new bracket is a much better mounting arrangement with the wires somewhat protected from water. I think the 2006 models have the new bracket but I do not know if it was a running modification during the 2005 model run,
    Gordon