Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    I typically get 20+ in the city and 30-34 on the highway with my shortstar (with no VVT). As good as most cars with it.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    Hmm, I guess it's how you drive it!
    That can be said about any car. Posted mileage numbers are not possible with lead foots.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,001
    It appears neither side airbags nor ABS are standard in this "upmarket" car. Oh, I almost forgot, Lutz detests safety features, hence making them optional equipment on many GM models starting in 2003.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I was really trying to give this vehicle a chance, defending it to the Five Hundred and Montego folks. But from what that equipment list reads, the 3.6L engine is only available in top trim, where its standard, and not optional anywhere else. MISTAKE NUMBER ONE. This car will likely carry a sticker that starts at what? $22K- $23K? right? Yet, ABS is not standard. MISTAKE NUBMER TWO. Side Impact Protection appears missing, though my guess is that it simply isnt on THAT list- the Malibu and GP both have side curtains, so it would be ENTIRELY bizarre for them not to appear here. Even so, they should be standard across the board, and GM had an opportunity to take a competitive advantage here, as they arent standard anywhere else in this class. MISTAKE NUMBER THREE.

In terms of features content, three strikes and youre out. This car had better have one top notch interior, excellent driving dynamics, and very competitive pricing.

I guess the gates are wide open for the '05 Avalon to kill this segment. (Well.. at least the $26K-$34K range of it.. which is a good chunk of the 500/Montego/300/LaCrosse anyway).

~alpha
    I suspect when there is a better supply of 3.6L, the engine will move down the Rendezvous and LaCross chains. That's what GM did with the 3.5L in the Intrigue from 98-99.

ABS should be standard on ALL models here. This equipment list doesn't seem accurate or complete.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    "Oh, I almost forgot, Lutz detests safety features, hence making them optional equipment on many GM models starting in 2003."

no, he just wants to extort even more money from you for them. Probably have to get two option packages and a crappy delco factory upgrade stereo (which is still worse than a 20 dollar kraco from walmart) to get the ABS WHICH SHOULD BE STANDARD ON ANY CAR OVER 15g.

when I asked the poster to expand on the specifics it was prompting the question as to why he missed his OHC engine and that he share those reasons with everyone here since so many of you don't seem to think it matters. But it does.

My guess would have been the answer might be

smoothness
    more elastic powerband and better engine breathing
    a feeling you got more than what you paid for
    etc.
    yada yada.....

For once, GM ought to come out at launch with a LOW STICKER and loaded to make a market impact instead of bleeding the GM faithful for 3 months until the inevitable incentives kick in and everyone talks bout the insanely high MSRP for a car that's usually not worth the MSRP (or even close).
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    One thing is absolutely for sure. If GM knows that it is going to have to pay big incentives to sell cars (and it does), then GM will build those incentives into the price of the car.

Yes, they say the new cars are "gotta have" cars that won't have to be incentivized. But what would YOU say if you were them?

Time will tell. As for me, I thought I would see a car here very competitive with the Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego.

We know little so far, but what I have seen so far certainly doesn't WOW me, and my last three cars have been GM mid-sizes (an Olds LSS, a Pontiac GP GTP, and a Chevy Impala LS).
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Looks like we have some refugees from the Impala and Intrigue board looking for a car that has the soul of the intrigue and is a few steps up in luxury(interior sespecially) over the Impala.

The OHC motor is key here.
    At lest to me.
    Don't want to know that they are downrating it to 240 hp though.
    GM just doesn't get it.
    They are so concerned about the interdivisional pecking order that they are scared to hit a home run.
    I guess they don't want to step on the CTS's toes by giving the Lacrosse the same hp.

GM needs to realize that they are competing against Toyota and Honda for their survival.
    Not Ford.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Seems like it will only be available at the top trim level.. I wonder how much it will list for.
    If its hilariously high like a Comp-G is with leather etc (and leather is standard on the top trim level on this car apparently), I'd rather just get a TL.
    Headlights are kind of Sonata'ish?
    Certainly this car is more interesting than a Camry and the top line engine on paper better (and in the CTS) is better than anything in the Camcorder. The top trim level should outhandle those cars (well the older Intrigues do, the later ones probably not).
    Honda detunes it's 3.5L for the Pilot. It's pretty common practice. Oddly enough the VUE with the same motor has 10 more hp than the Pilot.

3.6L will be standard on all LaCrosse trims within a year or two I'll bet.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    "Certainly this car is more interesting than a Camry and the top line engine on paper better (and in the CTS) is better than anything in the Camcorder."

HAHAHAHAHAHA. That was a joke right? Those chrome wheels are real beauty as well.

~alpha
    I'd give the upper hand the LaCrosse.

That said, I can think of many other better looking cars than Camry or LaCrosse
  • I popped a Park Avenue Ultra grille into this thing to make it look more aggressive.

Don't claim to have the expertise of Robert Cumberford, but feel the one photo seen shows true to Buick proportions, has a nimble stance I like, and definitely evokes certain other vehicles already mentioned w/ the equine nostril-like inner lamps, including the mid-90s Lexus SC.

A post in gminsidenews.com's LaCrosse topic identifies something called "Uni-Picture Reaction Syndrome". Good reading.
    "If its hilariously high like a Comp-G is with leather etc (and leather is standard on the top trim level on this car apparently), I'd rather just get a TL."

Yeah, or many other non-Buick products come to mind also.

The TL keeps looking better to me all the time. Just wish the front end wasn't so cheap looking. The interior on the TL is luscious. The thing is built with swiss watch precision on the interior trim.

The spy photo of the LaCrosse interior shows promise. Maybe if its ok, the DOHC motor and nice interior could make a case for buying this less than attractive exterior if the incentives were there.

To the tune of like 5 or 6 thousand bucks plus a 2k GM card rebate.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    Why is an OHC motor a requirement for the car being good? What tangible benefits will the owner get is the car has 24V vs. 12V? If this car had a pushrod but was sold as having a DOHC engine most owners wouldnt know or care. I'm glad they put the 3.6 in the car, but that alone doesn't make it acceptable. ANd why are people so skeptical about the interior? Did anyone look at the interior of the Cobalt or the Malibu or G6 or even the minivans? It's obvious GM has stepped up its game in terms of interiors. Do you really think this car is going to have a Regal-like interior? Do you think Lutz is that stupid?
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I'll be waiting for interior pictures along with the pictures of the rear end before I declare the Five-Hundred/Montego the winner. Offering the 3.6 only on the CXS is a mistake though.
  • chavis10chavis10 Posts: 166
    I think the LaCrosse is hot. Definitely better looking than the "Camcorder" (i really like that one!!). Also, it looks better than the Altima/Maxima and the 500 is just too plain. The TL is a nice piece indeed. Definitely better looking than the Accord. Since we have a '98 Intrigue, this looks like the only car in the General's arsenal that could be an upgrade.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    Looks better than an Altima?? You're kidding right??
    Lutz isn't stupid, however his organization has the worst track record of ANY in terms of turning its ship around and being more concerned with themselves rather than competition.

I wish folks would give up on asking why OHC is needed in cars like this. It is, get over it. The Acuras, Toyotas, etc of the world have raised the bar for engine tech and smoothness and performance.

Cars attempting to sell in this price range need to match the competitors on vital points like this. DOHC, aluminum, vvt, etc. yada. Otherwise folks are saying, why should I pay THIS much for something not as good under the hood? It makes absolutely no difference if the difference is real or perceived (in this case its the double whammy of both).

"most owners wouldnt know or care"

I beg to differ, you get out of the cheapo midsize market and into the premium car categories (WHICH THIS IS AT THE STICKERS BUICKS GO FOR) the market demands these features. Its way too easy for folks to walk and buy the 10 other competitors. If the brochure don't convince em the competition is better, a five minute test drive will.

I mean, check out this Acura TL with the pushrod iron block 2 valve motor.......hehe. BETTER PUT INCENTIVES ON THAT ONE.

That's why this new engine will be a revelation for Buick. It should help their faithful, stubborn, and shrinking clientele move on from the notion of 'good enough for us is good enough for everyone else'. They will be dragged kicking and screaming into the rest of the market. Not just the internal GM competition.