Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DTS

libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
I'm pretty sure if Cadillac continues their naming of the Catera and Seville replacements, this will be the name of the next Deville. I LOVE the current Deville and hope the next one has even more wood trim inside and doesn't lose an inch of space inside. Does anyone know anything about this vehicle? I'm pretty sure either this or the Seville will jump up to the ultra luxury class and one will stay as a mid-level luxury sedan. I am VERY curious about this vehicle and I hope Cadillac doesn't make too many changes from the current excellent one.

Comments

• cadillac1cadillac1 Posts: 51
    Reports buy Bob Lutz at GM state the next Deville will be nemed the DTS. It will be RWD, and "may" be an Mercedes S-Class fighter. Lutz says he never understood why the smaller STS was the top of the line car and not the Deville. But do not fear Liberty, in the same report, they mention they may keep the Deville name around for a vehicle that will be pretty much like todays Deville and will catere towards those who want a big, soft, luxo cruiser.
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    I was right about my DTS name guess!!! OH YEAH! LOL. I agree that the Seville (STS) should be mid-level luxury sport and the Deville (DTS) should be ultra luxury. I doubt they will end up keeping the name and have an old-fashioned car. I can live with a little less room and it is possible to make a sports sedan with LOTS of leather and wood trim.
  • arennarenn Posts: 35
    Did you see the June sales numbers on the DeVille? Down almost half from last year - only about 4,700 sold. At that rate, it is looking much more attractive for Caddy to nuke it good.

I know the volume hit would be hard to take, but to complete the brand makeover, Cadillac basically has to ditch its existing customer base for the land yatchs. It would definitely hurt volume substantially to replace the DeVille with an S-Class competitor, perhaps even dropped Caddy below the 200,000 barrier. That's ok. A luxury brand shouldn't be about volume.

I would be ok with keeping a DeVille like car except for one thing - imagine the "new Cadillac" customer going to a dealer and seeing acres of DeVilles (just like today in other words). Lots full of land yatchs would be terrible for the brand image Caddy is trying to cultivate. Let Lincoln have that market. The Town Car needs a new sales outlet other than taxicab companies anyway.
    do u know of a website?
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    I read the recent long-term test verdict on the 2002 DeVille in Motor Trend. They actually liked it more than I would have expected. There were a few complaints about the ride and the fact that it doesn't quite live up to some of its foreign competition, but overall they seemed to be quite favorably disposed towards it and they felt it was a good value for the money. So maybe the DeVille is not such a relic after all.

-Andrew L
    libertycat, every month the auto makers issue press releases with their monthly sales by model. You can see them on Yahoo finance or any site. For GM specifically, you can go to media.gm.com. June sales figures are here:

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewpressreleasedetail.do?domain=2&docid=893
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    maybe CTS is stealing sales from Deville.
    I doubt it and am sure not one buyer was going to buy a Deville and got a CTS. The Deville is bigger and more luxurious. The CTS is WAY different.
    It's my favorite sedan at this moment.
    Could u please name a site that has sales numbers for every vehicle on the U.S. market. I couldn't find any individual model sales numbers on Yahoo Finance and your GM link didn't work.
  • eaton53eaton53 Posts: 356
  • Is the new DTS coming in 2005 as a 2006 model or in 2006 as a 2007 model?

Thank you
  • Will I be the only one or will most of us wait to see the 2006 DTS before purchasing another Cadillac. I currently have a 2000 DTS.
    What color interior does your DTS have? I love the DTS!!!!!!!!! I would buy the current without any hesitation.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Posts: 769
    I don't know how much I'd trust the information on Autosite. Their information doesn't seem very reliable. For instance, the latest incentive figures listed are from 3/03 and when I tried to get a used car value, it listed a 2001 Audi TT with a 4.2L V8 (with 360hp no less!).
  • eaton53eaton53 Posts: 356
    Seem to be pretty reliable, but always about a month and a half behind.
  • Will be DTS, will be FWD
  • For Cadillac to go with a FWD platform for the next gen Deville would be a mistake. It certainly can't compete as an S-Class/7-series fighter with FWD -- The days of FWD are fading fast.
  • theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    The next Deville will not be the S-class fighter Lutz wanted it to be. It will be redesgined on the current G-body, and it will cater to the older buyers. A true A8 type will come in 2008/09 on a new RWD platform, which may be shared with a Sixteen of some type.
    it needs to remain a volume FWD car to appease the market that currently buys the car and to have at least one Caddy that will sell in cold weather climates. The blue hair crowd buys lexus' not Mercedes S classes. And honestly, most of Caddy's clientele will buy anything with a Caddy logo on it anyways.

I would add Caddy should get off its cheap butt and develop an AWD sedan.
  • I don't see any advantages at all in going with FWD. Any advantage it once had in snow/ice has been eliminated, traction control and stability control evened the playing field between FWD and RWD. You think all those devoted 60+ Deville buyers will care if they make the move to RWD as long as it rides/drives the same? Half of them probably don't even know that the current one is FWD. If people feel that the Caddy sedans aren't safe in the snow, (which I'm sure they are and even if they're not convinced, get off their lazy butts and get snow tires), thats what the AWD SRX and Escalade are for. Car enthusiasts often refer to FWD as wrong-wheel drive, and for a good reason. Everything is wrong with it.

But on a side note, regfootball you're right, AWD would solve all of this =)
    all the geezers in the midwest buy devilles because they are FWD......

trac and stab cntrl help some but are no substitute for FWD....trust me...I was a diehard RWD fan, but I got converted. I even did the snow tires thing. It helps a ton. But FWD w/ snow tires is even better.....

and regular non car people are too lazy and too dumb to latch on to the snow tires thing. especially when they expect a 60,000 dollar vehicle should not need anything extra to make it drivable.

why do you think the Lexus ES300 is popular? SNOW! Gotta have one Lexus with FWD for the masses.

An older lady in church who is in real estate bought a new IS300 when it came out. She wanted a Lexus so bad.....and she had no clue what was up with RWD.....after 6 months she had traded it for an ES.....couldn't drive it in winter......

people like that need FWD.

And yes, I feel for the price they are asking just go AWD standard. that would solve everything.
    The main problem I see with a "traditional" DTS is not the vehicle per se, but the dealers. Go to almost any Cadillac dealer today and 50% of the cars on the lot are DeVille's. If Caddy really wants to change its image, it can't have it's new school cars hidden behind three rows of existing DeVille's. It will kill the brand.
  • I do get sick of "Car people" who talk as if anyone over 60 is 'mindless, clueless and irrelevant'. My parents know a lot about cars and are far from the nasty desriptions above, and not all seniors drive 'old' style cars. Yes, there are "car enthusiasts" over 60!

FWD isn't "All wrong". For economy, basic use/point A to point B driving, it is suitable. Nobody slams Lexus for offering a FWD enrty car.
  • Well I suppose FWD isn't "all" wrong, but the problem is that we aren't dealing with basic, economy point A to point B driving. The car of discussion here is a full size luxury sedan where poor weight distribution (and therefore poor handling), torque steer and other issues are not acceptable.
  • Well, if the DTS is RWD, it should offer the same price point as today.
    none of Audi's cars are RWD. Many Audis are sold FWD only. Doesn't hurt them.

DTS could be FWD but offered with AWD.

Domestics ahve always been so afraid to offer AWD cars...I am sure there's always a zillion EXCUSES for not doing so.
  • Actually... The A4, A6 and TT are FWD only when you purchase the base model. Anyone even slightly performance oriented opts for the AWD model. This is acceptable on the smaller cars.

Notice they don't have a FWD A8. I guess they decided FWD wasn't appropriate for a car of that size/class.