Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    I agree wholeheartedly with you, but I don't know what options will be available for those wanting a full size car when the Panthers and GM's G body die.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    I think the current FWD DTS will continue production through the 2009 model year, perhaps longer. The big question is what they do with the DTS next. The DeVille, now called the DTS, has been a prime seller for Cadillac since the 50's. Unless GM increased the production capacity of the sigma platform that the CTS, STS and SRX are based on, there is a limited production capacity for a sigma platform DTS. The sigma platform has some limits on size too, but I do not know what they are. The CTS is selling at the 50 to 60 thousand range, while the SRX and STS are probably going to run about 40 to 50 thousand together, making the total sigma production somewhere in the 100 to 120 thousand. This leaves a 4th sigma platform vehicle with a 40 thousand production limit.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    One option will be a Lincoln Town Car. The Lexus LS430 isn't any bigger than my Impala. Right now you can buy a 2006 Town Car for $29,995 -about a $14,000 discount. They are giving them away and they don't pretend to be anything more than they are -a big, comfortable luxury sedan. The gas mileage isn't as good as the Northstar but I'll seriously consider one in 2008.
    Cadillac is going in the wrong direction as far as I'm concerned but most people disagree with me. I'd get a Certified used Lincoln though because the warranty is better on the Certified one than a new one -same as Cadillac.
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    There are a lot of rumors that the Lincoln Town Car may die next year when Ford closes its Wixom, MI plant.
    I'm going to drive a number of cars when the Cadillac warranty runs out in October, 2008. I've never really been a fan of the Town Car because of the gas mileage and the fact that it rode and handled sort of like my '53 Olds 98. The Deville/DTS is lots more modern technically. I probably will discover that the best deal will be a two year old Lexus LS430 with the certified 100k warranty. I may also look at a new top of the line Avalon or a Lexus ES300. All these cars are good highway cruisers and get relatively good town gas mileage. They aren't as wide as my Deville but are probably as comfortable. Resale value is great, too -much better than anything American. I can sell both the '03 Deville and my '06 Impala and cut down on the number of cars I drive. When you start looking at the competition you discover why the Avalon/Lexus are so popular. I understand that the Lincoln has about 75% of the livery/limosine business. Wonder what will take its place? It has been a long time since I've seen a Cadillac limosine at the airport.
  • baltomanbaltoman Posts: 43
    Re: ... looking at the competition you discover why the Avalon/Lexus are so popular.

I would take a hard look at the Edwards forums for the current Avalon - lots of unhappy owners with transmission hesitation. Do a search. Same with the 300 series Lexus. Some claim they have no problems. But even CR called it a problematic car with only average build quality. According to JD Edwards, Toyota has a lower consumer satisfaction rating then GM when dealing with customer complaints.
    Toyota has always handled consumer complaints poorly. They either blame the consumer (the engine sludge problem was always the fault of the owner -guess they finally fessed up)
    or tell you that it is either "normal" or "can't duplicate the problem". I'll most likely get a Certified 2007 or 2008 DTS (Luxury II package) in October, 2008 when my '03 Deville warranty runs out. If Cadillac downsizes the DTS I'll keep the '07/08 until the wheels fall off. What I want to see is something that looks like the Sixteen only with an 8.
    Anybody have any insight on how the 2007 DTS will differ from the 2006?
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    New colors, otherwise nothing much.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    A new comparison topic was created and a few posts moved there.

Cadillac DTS vs. Chrysler 300/300C

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    Thanks...I can never find any of those comparo topics until someone posts it like you just did...

Bob
  • jb7227jb7227 Posts: 86
    I went to drive a new DTS yesterday - and loved the car - except for one item Im wondering if any current DTS owner noticed. When I climbed in the back seat, when I put the armrest up (to see how roomy the center position was) the seat was sooooo hard and flat that it wouldnt be comfortable for 5 minutes. It was as if there was no padding at all on the underside of the fold down armrest, or on the center part of the lower cushion. When I tried the same thing in my current car (2006 Buick Lucerne) which is built in the same plant and uses a lot of the same underpinnings, the same thing happened - a very hard backrest and cushion in the center rear seat position. Anyone out there notice this, or is it just me? Other than that, the car is stunning. Has anyone ordered the car and got the hood ornament? I havent seen any DTS equipped with this option, although my dealer confirmed that indeed this is an option for factory orders only. Cadillac needs to get some new colors - what ever happened to the "classic" colors - like the pale yellow, polo green, saddle brown? How about more interior color choices, like yellow, white, red? Just a thought!
  • lanzzlanzz Posts: 75
    Never thought to sit in the center position in the back seat.

I would have liked a non-metallic white paint choice, like the old Cotillion White - ended up with Crimson Pearl with ebony inside - I like it - you don't see too many around here in that color.
  • geezer408geezer408 Posts: 10
    Within two minutes from start up from COLD (only) I hear about 3 to 5 taps in the lower rear area, almost always at idle, in gear, brakes on at a stop light. Happens maybe 20% of the cold starts. Suspected loose baffle in muffler or resonator but GM bulletin says it is pulsing noise in the cat convertor due to aggressive spark and fuel mixtures to speed up warm up of the convertor, i.e. normal. Its rare and hard to demonstrate. Anybody else had any similar experience?
  • lanzzlanzz Posts: 75
    geezer - yes - same noise. Funny thing, both times it has happened at a stop light where a lot of people were around the car crossing the street so I assumed it was someone being a jerk and banging on the back of the car as they jay-walked past it at the light.

It has happened exactly twice in three months - and it appears to come from the rear of the car - I was guessing maybe the compressor for the leveling suspension or something of that sort.

Definitely not a pulsing noise to my ears, it is a hard
    metallic tap - have not been for service yet, as I only have 3,000 miles - never thought to mention it - perhaps I will when I got for service to see what they tell me.

e
    Thanks for the quick response. Now I know I'm not the only one. I have only 4000 miles and this is the only slight annoyance. I too think it is clearly a tapping sound rather than pulsing. I'm going to log my experience for a while and if I ever get a better answer I'll post it. I still think its a loose baffle at low temperatures. I too almost got out of my car and expected to find some little kid (below mirror height) but of course the proximity alarm never went off.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    A new discussion has been created for DTS mechanical issues. A few posts have been moved there.

Cadillac DTS: Problems & Solutions

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Ianzz: I can make it happen from cold start (68F outside), start car and drive about quarter mile till engine temp two lines below horizontal, pull over and stop in gear, 800rpm and wait about a minute till temp gage rises to just about one mark below horizontal, and listen; it will tap about 5 times rapidly as the pointer reaches that mark. Will almost never happen if car is moving above 10 to 15 mph or rpm above 1100. Haven't taken it in yet because it took this long to get the repeatable conditions established. Good luck with yours. Car is still a dream to drive, particularly on the highway. Geezer 408
  • supercoolsupercool Posts: 31
    The CTS is done; the STS is done.

Will there be a DTS V-series, so that there will be a big daddy on the scene?

Abel
  • Has anyone had any dealings with either adding Sirius to the original head unit in car or removing XM and replacing with Sirius? Love the car except I just want to get my Sirius in.