Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• Perhaps the Zeta platform can be stretched. Interesting to note that they will shortly be offering a stretched DTS -8" longer. I don't like rear wheel drive cars after owning a Mustang which was hell on wheels in the snow and rain but I do like Cadillacs. If they try and downsize the DTS I'll start looking around at other cars.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    The zeta platform is similar to the sigma platform, but less expensive to build, and somewhat less refined. So, I would think that the Carmaro is at the small end of the range for this platform. The Carmaro concept is about 80 inches wide, so I would guess that zeta sedans would be wider than the sigma sedans. The Holden cars are the same width as the current DTS. So I would think the a zeta DTS will be very similar in size to the current model, probably with a longer wheelbase. I would not expect the DTS to be a "sport sedan" and therefore will not come in a _V edition. But perhaps an extra long version might be possible.
  • Cadillac already will have a stretch version of the DTS planned for later this year so you are probably right. Looks like the Zeta platform can be larger or smaller. It will be interesting to see what the car looks like. I'm not impressed with the front end on the DTS. My '03 was a lot better looking. I may just keep it until the new design comes out.
    I think that the stretch version of the DTS is more for the limo market than anything. But, perhaps a consumer version will be available too. I looked at a 2007 SRX and I like the basic vehicle I think. I am interested in getting a program SRX (2006 or later on, a 2007).
  • No input on this list since January 5 and it is now February 5. Doesn't anyone have anything to comment on?
    I read an interesting review of the 2006 DTS the other day. An owner says that his 2001 DHS was much better -rode better because of the 16" tires, had a locking gas filler door, and the dash was much better. He said he should have bought a used 2005. Has anyone with a 2006 or 2007 owned a 2000-2005 Deville and can compare them? I'm hesitant to get an 06 or 07 after that review.
  • I own a 2005 Deville base model and like it! We had a 2006 DTS base model rental for a weekend when my wife's LaCrosse needed to be in the shop. I drove the 2006. I wouldn't trade mine for it. I thought the same things as the other guy did. It didn't ride as good because of the 17" tires that are standard on the DTS. I also like the dash better in mine and the seats for comfort. It's still a nice car. Rent one for a couple of days and see how you like it. Drive it in the city, highway , bad roads, etc. That should help you decide!
  • One thing the guy commented on was the length of the back seat - 20" in his 2001 and 18" in the 2006. I'm also not impressed with the dinky climate control -exactly the same as in my new Impala but automatic. My 2003 is lots more user friendly.
  • All of this is getting quite depressing! I too will be in the market in a few months, looking to replace my leased ES330. I'm one of the few not happy with the Lexus, as I find the leg room for myself (6'1") not adequate, and the transmission hesitation that Toyota products are famous for, very annoying. I was hoping to get the DTS, as I always loved the good old American luxury ride. The Town Car is way too out dated, and I don't see the same level of luxury with the Lucerne. So if the DTS is not worth it, then what is? Getting into a higher level Lexus or BMW etc. is a much higher price range, which unfortunately is out of the question. Any thoughts?
  • All the official reviews of the DTS say that the ride is comfortable. I'm with you. I'm not crazy about a Town Car because every Ford I've owned has had multiple annoying problems (check engine light etc etc). My 2003 Deville has been trouble free. It is also (in my opinion) a lot better looking than the 2006/7 DTS. Unfortunately things change and I'll probably get a 2007 DTS after the 2008 models come out. I like the fact that the dash is lower and the front seat goes back farther. The ride is still probably OK but I wish that Cadillac would quit trying to create a sports sedan out of a Deville/DTS. All they will succeed in doing is driving their established customers away. I don't want a "European" sports sedan. I got suckered into a new Audi 5000S in 1986 -biggest lemon I ever owned. I want a big, luxurious, comfortable trouble-free car for long distance trips. I don't care about "edge" styling or all the handling and performance garbage that the professional testers love. I once had a '72 Eldorado. Perhaps I should look for another one. For the price of a DTS I'm sure that I could have one restored as good as new. It was big, comfortable, and I never had a problem with handling or performance. Gas mileage was lousy but when I got to 20 mph and tromped it down I could pass everybody on the road.
  • I agree. Don't turn the Deville/DTS into a sport sedan. You probably could get a better ride out of the new DTS by changing the tires. Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds are an excellent riding tire according to reviews. They are even starting to put them as standard equipment on the 2007 Chrysler 300C. They had been putting some junk on them for the last 2 years. For the price of a Cadillac, there should be better tires on it from the factory!
  • I guess we must be part of a dying breed, not wanting firm seats and cracker jack handling. I agree that there's nothing wrong with wanting a comfortable cruiser for long trips etc. Isn't the new CTS going to be that kind of a "sport sedan"? Hopefully, they'll keep in mind that the DTS is a car for a different clientele.
  • What is wrong with Michelin? The Michelin tires on my '03 are just fine. Why did GM switch to a cheaper tire on the DTS? When I buy one the factory tires will immediately be switched to Michelins.
  • I have a friend with a CTS. The ride is stiff and the front seat area is cramped. My new Impala rides a lot better and has much more front seat and cargo room. It beats the CTS hands down at $10,000 less.
  • I have driven several Devilles between the years of 2003-2005 (rentals for business trips). Based on those rentals I decided to purchase (after test driving) a 2006 DTS. I went for the Performance model because of the better ride and handling. I am 6’ 2” + and needed the extra room that the 2006 offers. It is so much better than previous years. It is really great on super highways and holds to the road as if it were glued to the asphalt. City driving is not that great because of the size and large turning radius, but that applies to previous years as well. The seats are so much more comfortable than previous years.

The appearance of any car is purely a subjective matter for each to decide what they like. I think that the 2006 is OK but Cadillac has never been the best looking car on the road anyway.

I do agree that it would be nice to have a locking gas cap.

As the other responder indicated – rent one for a couple of days and decide how you like it although bear in mind that most rentals are base models and stepping up to the next level or two can only be an improvement.
  • I'm glad to read your comments. I'll probably get the Luxury II package but I was glad to note that you thought the ride and seats were comfortable and that the 2006 was an improvement over the 2005. Thanks for the insight.
    It should be noted that the performance model has magnetic suspension, which probably improves the ride.
  • Magnetic ride suspension does absolutely improve the ride. The larger tires (Bridgestone) also help.
  • There are a number of Certified 2006 Performance models available on Cars.com. I'll get one of those next winter. It will be less expensive than a Certified 2007 and there seems to be no difference. That will hold me until the next model change in 2010 or 11. The comments on the Performance model ride vs the Luxury II sold me. I once had a 2002 LeSabre Limited with the touring suspension and the car rode and handled much better than the base LeSabre with the regular suspension. The base model floated too much.
  • The tire issue has me worried and I am wondering if I should cut a deal to replace the standard 17 inch tires with something better. Any thoughts?
  • john178john178 Posts: 48
    The DTS Luxury II I purchased is everything I expected and more. It is a new 2006 model that the dealer could not sell because of the color ( which I really like)- blue chip. In just 2 weeks time, I am hooked on Cadillac!