Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• bremertongbremertong Posts: 436
    Just bought a new 2006 DTS and it has HID xenon headlights although I don't think the daytime lights are Xenon. Should mention that I traded a 2004 Deville which
    got about 10% better fuel economy. At first I wondered why
    and think that the 17" tires on the 2006 vs the 16" on the 2004 is part of the reason. Of course the tires on the 2006 have less than 800 miles on them as of today so there is much more tread and that also reduces fuel economy. The 2004 Deville did not have Zenon lights on my particular car. The door pockets on the 2004 where larger. One other feature I miss on the 2006 DTS is the that it does not have a lock on the fuel door. Both nice cars, the 2004 Deville is probably better value if you can find a low mileage car.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    If you do not tell the service department that their "fix" or adjustment did not work, they will assume that everything is fine and dandy. You should call them and tell them that the car still does not start up without stalling.

I wonder if the fuel you are using is the problem. This could be the case since you previous deVille also seemed to have the same problem.
    Just how does bigger tires reduce fuel economy? This makes no sense to me.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,666
    I appreciate knowing that the 2006 has HID lights available, but did the 05 or 04 gave them as an option???...obviously your did not, but that does not mean they were not offered..............
    Not sure about the HID lights on the 04 and 05 models but you can get that information here at Edmunds by going to the research cars section there is both a section for new and used, you should start with used and look for standard features and if that doesn't answer the question you might try reading the reviews for the car also at Edmunds. A call to Cadillac might also help or if you know of a salesperson who has worked at a dealership for a while they may know or know where to find out easily. Hope that helps and please let us know how it all turns out for you. Will be happy to help with other information if you have more questions. Best wishes.
    Just checked the car research section here at Edmunds and while I can't say for certain the standard features for 04 and 05 Devilles did not indicate HID lights as standard equipment. There is a chance they were offered as optional
    my guess is that they were not available until th 06 model.
    The 2006 DTS is a re-engineered model, so there are some upgrades. I do know that the 2002 deVille did not offer HID lights, but the Turing Sedan version of the Seville (STS) did offer HID as part of an upgrade package. My guess is that if a deVille offered the HID lights, it would only have been on the DTS (or performance edition). The night vision was an option which has been dropped, while the HID lights are now standard.
    Standard tires on the 2006 models are P235/55R17
    Tires on the 2004 models are P225/60R16
    The 2006 tires are slightly bigger in diameter which means that the engine will run a bit slower. If anything the 2006 should get better fuel economy than the 2004.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,666
    know much, I do know that in 2004-05, the Deville never had HID standard, but may have been available as an upgrade option.............which prompted my posts, hoping that someone with the option, or a sales rep, if it existed, might post a response
    I do know that they were not optional on the Deville in 2002, because I do have an Edmunds price guide for 2002. That is the last year that I have a printed Edmunds price guide. :cry: One thing that I do know is the GM does not upgrade models that will soon get a major redoing, as the Deville did for 2006. My guess is that the deville did not offer HID lights before 2006, or if they did, only the DTS model offered them.

Cadillac offered the HID headlights on the 2004 SRX with selective packages. On the 2006 SRX, the HID headlights were standard with the V8, but not the V6. The CTS did offer the HID lights with certain packages in 2003.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Posts: 295
    I'll keep my 2003 until Cadillac puts something out that is not just a rehash of the old 2000-2005 Deville. I'm sure that the 2006 and 2007 (and 2008)'s are great but they still look the same from the side. The car is only worth about $10k anyway since domestic cars have a terrible depreciation so I'm not losing much for keeping it another couple of years. It now has 55,000 miles and the warranty isn't up till October of 2008. I got 31 on the road coming back from Albuquerque the other day and always get 28-30 on the highway. Everything works and has worked since I bought it as a $27k program car in January of 2004. It is very comfortable on trips and I have other cars and trucks to drive locally that don't compare for road travel. I'll just hang loose. Hopefully in 2009 or 2010 Cadillac will put out something that looks like the Sixteen. My next car sale will be to dump my 2006 Impala as soon as I can get a Program 2008 Sebring Convertible. That will be my town car.
    Your logic sounds very sound to me. My 2004 Deville was out of warranty in July of this year, went in to service in August of 2003. I always liked the appearance of my 1998 Goldfiremist Deville. When the 2006 DTS was available new
    I valued it as used on a few web sites and bought a new car at a used price with all of the warranty remaining, color is Light Cashmere as close as you can get to Goldfiremist of the 98 Deville. It also has a sun/moonroof and in dash CD changer. The two cars are really nice and look that way parked next to each other in the garage. Of course getting them out on the road is even nicer. My Towncar has 22,300 miles as of today, had it out for some fun and and errands, Average fuel economy was 25.5 MPG, about 60% highway and 40% city. The new DTS got average of 23 MPG on a similar trip a few days ago. I have owned both a Plymouth Acclaim and a 1997 LHS in the past so I have a little knowledge of the Chrysler line of autos.
  • rpgorman1rpgorman1 Posts: 4
    I'm interested in Leasing an '07 DTS Luxury II with no options. I'm buying American after many years of BMW's, Toyota's and Honda. Any thought's of what to consider for this Cadillac and anyone have recent experience on how much the Dealers' are discounting this model.
    What factors are causing you to lease an American car after leasing Japanese and German cars? I just bought a new 2006 DTS and while satisfied am not thrilled after three weeks.
    The car is getting about 10% lower fuel efficiency than my 2004 Deville. My dealership offers no really reasonable explanations for this difference. This is my third Cadillac
    and one of the other weak points is Cadillac customer service line. My ignition stalled out on several occasions
    and when the issue was not immediately resolved they didn't offer much help except to say well keep trying (LOL). I expect the issue will be resolved only after the vehicle has to be jump started and or towed to the dealership. I think the main difference between American and foreign car names is initial build quality and customer service follow up. I have been on balance satisfied with my three Cadillacs,
    if I were in your place I would check in to the types of issues I have raised in my response. I have never owned a foreign car but your post comes at a time when I am less than thrilled with my new purchase. Please feel free to ask questions if you need further follow up information in reaching your decision. The Edmunds web site has a great amount of information on all the cars mentioned, I would strongly urge you to read through it as well as other car web sites. Best wishes and keep us posted.
    One problem I had with my 98 Aurora (small northstar engine) was when the fuel pressure regulator failed. The car would be hard to start after it was warmed up driving somewhere and had been parked for a short time (less than 30 minutes but more than 15 minutes). The ignition (spark plugs) were not the problem, the car seemed flooded. This was a first generation northstar, so there may be some differences on your second generation northstar, but if there is a fuel pressure regulator that is leaking, it might explain the hard starting and the fuel consumption too.
    When I went to fuel up my new car the first time I could not find the fuel release door, finally realized that this feature has been eliminated. When I called Cadillac to ask about this, the answer was that if I used the valet lock out switch in the glove compartment the fuel door would be locked (LOL), no such luck in that the door opened in either position, valet on or off. So much for Cadillac personal knowing their own product. I would like the security of knowing that if I drive into a large city and leave the car no prankster can get into my fuel line. To make the matter even more frustrating,Cadillac tells me that they do not sell a a locking gas cap that is approved for use with this car. They also said that if I used an after market product and it caused problems with the engine message system there would be a charge to clear the computer system in the car. I went in to a local auto supply store and bought a locking gas cap that according to the store computer was approved for a 2006 DTS. I would very much appreciate what other owners feel about this issue. Is the locking door not necessary? If concerned have you bought an after market locking cap? Have you had any problems with message lights coming on the dash board? What other information should I have on this issue. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    I can tell you that my 2007 SRX also does not have a locking door for the fuel. I am not really concerned about this where I live. As long as your locking gas cap seals the gas tank, there won't be any messages. The messages come when the car's computer system detects that the fuel cap is not sealed. This is tested continually as part of the emissions control system to make sure everything is operating properly.
    Glad you like your 2006. I haven't totally made up my mind to keep my '03 but it is used very little, looks brand new, have required nothing serious and rides and drives like it did when I got it. I may break down and look at an '06 or '07 in the fall of '08 but I'd sure like to have some idea of when Cadillac will put out a totally new DTS.
    Whether or not the filler door locks if the gas cap is loose you will get a check engine notification.
    Yes I was aware of that. Was at the dealership yesterday and they checked the after market cap that I purchased (Shucks Auto Parts) and said it was the right one. The local dealership charges about $ 45 dollars to reset the check engine message light. The dealership where I bought the car will do it free but is over 100 mile round trip from where I live. I would have no hesitation about trying the after market cap if the trip were not so long or if I trusted the local dealership near where I live. Alternate solution would be to just use the locking cap when I leave the car parked in a vulnerable location such as a large city. The car is always in the garage when I'm at home. The tethered non locking cap will fit in the fuel door area next to the locking cap when in use. No rush to decide as I am not planning any out of the area travel at the moment.