Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• I bought my 06 DTS used. Got a great value and the car has been solid for most parts, but I have been literally struggling with the on going pain in my lower back with how poorly the seats upper back is designed and just damn uncomfortable after about 15 minutes of driving. I may be spoiled or tainted by the seats of my other cars (Audi A6 and 2 Maserati's - QP and GranTursimo) as I bought this as my everyday car and to cart my dog around in, which he loves as the rear windows go all the way down so that he can windsurf with his nose fully out the back. I LOVE Cadillac's always have and don't want to dump this car but I am fast becoming tortured by the seats. My servicing dealer is the best and we have literally pulled the seat back off and pulled back the lumbar support mechanism that 'rolls' the lumber up & other things to 'soften' it. It helped greatly, but not completely.
    So I ask - "am I the only one with this pain of experience?"
  • I own both a 2005 Lincoln Town Car and 2006 DTS. I find the seats in the Town Car to be more comfortable than the DTS but the DTS seats are also comfortable for my slender frame. Suggest you
    check back with your dealer to see if there is an after market seat that would adapt to your DTS. You could probably get just the drivers seat if this is a workable solution and perhaps that would solve. You might also
    have the dealer check to see if there is another GM
    car either Cadillac or other that would have a seat that would adapt to your DTS. Please come back and post the resolution to your question as it is an unusual
    one and other owners might benefit by knowing how you resolved this issue. Best wishes!
  • I have a 2006 DTS Performance and the seats are very comfortable. That is one reason I purchased this particular vehicle. I am 6’ 2” and have had back surgery in the past. I have made several trips of 1200 miles or more and have never had a problem. I find the DTS seats very supportive. On occasion I have had to rent (Lincoln) for business trips and in 30 minutes or so I will have to stop and walk around due to the pain caused by the seats. On another note, watch out with your dog hanging his head out the window (ask any vet) it is not good for the dogs eyes.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,196
    ...but I just purchased a leftover new 2007 Cadillac DTS Performance back on Friday, November 23, 2007. I traded a 2002 Cadillac Seville STS. My car is Black Raven with the Ebony leather interior. It has just about every conceivable option on it. Unfortunately, I haven't driven the car too much due to the inclement weather. Can't wait for spring so I can take this baby out on the road again! Until then, I'm driving my old 1988 Buick Park Avenue.

Oh, and that whole deal about the DTS being an "old person's car?" I'm a very youthful 42!
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    I wouldn't be too sure about 42 being youthful...why, you're almsot ready to file for Social Security...have you started looking into nursing homes yet???

..........:):):):):):):):):).................I just slay me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kpsmkpsm Posts: 12
    I have an 06 DTS Performance model with every option except for adaptive cruise control, and have now put about 11k on it. I wouldn't have bought a DTS except for the Performance package, with the peppy engine and the excellent suspension.

I love the acceleration of this car, at all speeds. The regular DTS, by contrast, seems very sluggish to me, like a grandfatherly car.
  • vic10vic10 Posts: 188
    In total agreement with you on the DTS vs DTS Performance. Very much a different automobile. Comparing a DTS Lux III to a STS Performance (V6), I much preferred the STS. But the gents on the Cadillacforums urged me to drive the DTS Performance before buying anything. I did and preferred it over the STS in performance, response, and of course comfort and space. It even felt more responsive than the V8 STS, and that was after a back to back comparison. The result: I ordered a new DTS last week....
    That's very interesting information.

When I was looking at cars, I did not get really interested until I did a test drive in a Performance Model DTS. On ride and I was ready to sign up.

And I still have fun driving the car. It's like, not more miles per gallon, but more smiles per gallon, to paraphrase a line that I saw in a recent movie.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    The difference is due more to the axle ratio differences: the base engine has a 3.11:1 ratio while the performance model gets a 3.71:1 ratio. The performance engine actually has less torque, particularly at lower engine speeds (below 3000 RPMs). However, with the gearing differences, the torque (and horsepower) at the wheels is somewhat greater with the performance package. The graphs of the torque and horsepower for each engine are:
    performance package
    base engine

The RWD northstar adds variable valve timing and has more torque than either FWD engine:
    RWD northstar

However, this engine is not rated with the current SAE standard.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    a used 2006 DTS to replace my Crown Vic, because of the highway mpg of 25-27, and my local repair shop (Goodyear) informed me that the performance model had special tires that wore out after 25-30K miles, very expensive, and that the 3.71 ratio meant that the performance model only got about 20 on the highway (altho it performed much better)...

If true, I could probably replace the perf tires with luxury size tires for 70K miles, but I could not change the rear ratio...

For those who have the perf model, what kind of highway mpg do you get???
    The performance model has H rated tires for speed because the performance DTS has a higher speed limiter than the base models. If the tires are all season I think that they will last for a reasonable distance. The EPA numbers show about 1 MPG less for the performance model on the highway. It might be more like 2 MPG, but a lot depends on how you drive. How fast you cruise at will make a bigger difference for either axle ratio. With my SLS (base engine) I could usually average around 29 MPG by limiting my cruising speed to 70 MPH or less (if speed limit was less) on long trips. Cruising faster (or a strong headwind) would reduce the mileage to 25 to 27 MPG. A very strong wind once reduced the mileage below 25 MPG.
    When the 2006 DTS was introduced, one of the car magazines had an introductory test of it and the Lucerne. The DTS was performance and the Buick was the base V8. The difference was less than half a second to 60 MPH, but the base DTS would be about a half second slower due the heavier body. Cadillac at one time had some data on a web site showing this. The higher performance axle gearing will give the driver a feel of greater performance in the same gear.
    My prior car was a V-8 Aurora that I found to be quite peppy.

In choosing the replacement car, I test drove the V-8 Lucerne . It seemed sluggish to me, by comparison with the Aurora. I test drove the 6 cylinder STS. It also seemed sluggish by comparison.

In my test drive, I found that the DTS Performance model put me back in my seat when I accelerated, and I could effortlessly pass cars going 70 miles per hour. I felt a significant increase in peppiness.

That has been my continuing experience for the past 20 months
    I had a supercharged 95 Riviera, which had a 2.93:1 axle ratio. It's perfomance was very good from my point of view. Then I had a 98 Aurora, with the base axle ratio, about 3.5:1. The car magazines generally showed that the Riviera was slightly faster in 0-60 and quarter mile performance. My impression was that both cars had similar performance. My 2002 Seville, with the 3.11:1 axle ratio was better than the Aurora I think.

One thing that I found with my Aurora was that the engine seemed to "breathe" better above 3000 RPMs. My Seville did not have a noticable improvement as the engine speed increased.

Your performance DTS is a bit quicker than the base model, and will give you the impression of greater performance in any particular gear. But, at 6000 RPM's the 3.11 axle will be going at a faster speed in any gear than the 3.71:1 axle ratio. My Seville could do about 90 MPH in second gear. I think that the DTS performance can do about 80 or so. My SRX will only do about 65 MPH in second, but I still have four gears left.
  • bremertongbremertong Posts: 436
    I just received a reminder from Onstar that my tires need to be rotated between 6000 and 8000 miles. My odometer is now at 6400 miles and I wondered how often it is wise to rorate based on other owners experience with their DTS. Owners manual says 7500.
    I took to a Schwab tire store today and they felt I could rotate at any time, they said the tires were wearing well and didn't see any urgency about doing it
    at the moment. In the real world how often is enough?? If never rotated how much sooner would the tires wear out? I'm just trying to get a general idea on this based on fact finding and the experience of other DTS owners. Last important bit of information is that living in a small community I rarely have to slam on my brakes or brake hard and often let the car coasts to a very slow speed before using the brakes.
    All suggestions appreciated.
    I've always rotated my tires at every other oil change, that is at 6000 miles. That goes for the FWD's I've owned (Taurus, Intrepid, Park Ave., Riviera) and for my current RWD (300C). The difference in wear, front to back, seemed insignificant when the tires were new. But as they reached around 20K miles, I could see a difference after 6000 miles. With the 60/40 weight bias of the DTS I think you'd have pretty bald front tires, especially at the edges of the tread, after 20K if you didn't rotate them.
  • lwj100lwj100 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 DTS (2006 Performance) with the same drive train. My experience has been vastly different that what your local repair shop indicated. I have 33K on my tires and they have at least one-half of the thread left and should go at least 45K. I did have to replace one of the tires from a sidewall nail incident but it was only $125. Not bad by today's standards.

As far as mileage, I routinely get 24-25 mpg. My wife took it to Charlotte a few weeks ago and even with a little stop and go driving, the DIC indicated 25.9 mpg when she pulled into the garage.

For the power and handling plus reasonably good mileage, I think that the performance model is very underrated.

Larry
  • texasjimtexasjim Posts: 9
    I have had TWO 2006 DTS's. Both Performance models.
    The first one, with 32000 miles burned in my garage fire and was almost a year old.

Bought the second new one for a Christmas present in Dec 2006. It now has 30,000 miles on it.

I have had very little trouble out of either one of them. My Air Conditioned seat quit working and the dealer replaced the seat mudule while I was getting an oil change.

The trunk mounted tail light was cracked.... replaced while getting another oil change.

Had them check the NAV unit once for a strange glitch.

Battery died after sitting in my garage for over a week with the radar detector left on and the cell phone charger plugged in. I don't think THAT was Cadillacs fault.

Called OnStar... 5 minutes later my dealer called and said the service truck was on the way. Ten minutes later... service truck was here. Jumped started with no problem. He replaced the battery anyway.

It has been at the dealer a couple more times for real minor stuff. They always give me a new car to drive. Usually a Lux ll DTS.

All in all... VERY LITTLE trouble with a total of over 60,000 miles on the two DTS Performance Sedans.

I have one question to the forum...

Why do most people think that the Performance Sedan with the Magnetic Ride, ride SOFTER than the regular DTS?

My experience has been the exact opposite. The Magnetic Ride is quite a bit FIRMER than the regular DTS. I have driven SEVERAL of them, both before I bought my first Performance Sedan and several time when it has been at the dealer.

The regular DTS has a much more smooth, soft and floaty ride. It also does not seem as CONNECTED to the road as the Performance Sedan.

Texas Jim
    My comment in the post you responded to was that the mag ride would soften the ride on rough roads. The performance package gets harder tires which will make the ride firmer. However, the performance DTS is NOT a sports sedan. If you want a sports sedan, the STS is closer to the mark. I will point out that, while the Corvette offers the mag shocks, they are not available on the Corvette with the performance handling package (Z51).
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Geez, with all those issues it sounds like the car will nickel and dime someone to death once the warranty expires... you've had more problems in the first 30,000 miles than I've had in the last 30,000 miles in my older of two vehicles, which has 180,000 miles on it.

I was urging my folks to look into a year-old DTS, but I think I'll hold off on that now. They have 42,000 completely problem free miles in their run-around-town car (a Civic EX); your DTS would be unacceptable.
    My comment in the post you responded to was that the mag ride would soften the ride on rough roads. The performance package gets harder tires which will make the ride firmer. However, the performance DTS is NOT a sports sedan. If you want a sports sedan, the STS is closer to the mark. I will point out that, while the Corvette offers the mag shocks, they are not available on the Corvette with the performance handling package (Z51).

I agree with you about the rough roads. It does smooth them out a lot.
    I know it is not a SPORTS SEDAN. If I had wanted one of those, I would not have bought a big DTS. :)

I like big comfortable cars. I don't like one that beats me up on trips. I have had my share of THOSE. :)

But that said... it is not too shabby for it's size and weight in the handling department.

Texas Jim
    The problems I listed were for BOTH cars... a total of over 60,000 miles. Most all of the problems were in the first two or three months.

I am also real particular about ANYTHING that I percieve as wrong with my car. If I think something is wrong... it goes back to the dealer.

I have been very happy with the two DTS Performance Sedans.
    I had thought that the FWD STS was a nice car when it was new in 1992. I also thought that if I ever bought one, I would want the STS, not the base Seville. However in 2002 my dealer wanted to dispose of the last SLS in stock and made me a deal that was acceptable. While at the time I was more interested in a sport sedan like the CTS, I was not really looking to buy one. I found the SLS's performance, ride and handling to be quite good for a FWD car. I had traded my 98 Aurora for it.

I find that my current SRX to handle much better than the Seville did, and I do not find the ride overly hard on long trips. I do have an optional sport package with lower profile tires (50's) on all four wheels. I think that on your DTS the ride would be harder without the magnetic shocks.
    "Why do most people think that the Performance Sedan with the Magnetic Ride, ride SOFTER than the regular DTS? "

The Performance sedan wasn't on my radar until YOU guys on the cadillacforums suggested I try driving one...and my impression was that it did ride softer than the Lux III, though "softer" may not be the correct word. A couple of possibilities:

1: All suspensions are a compromise and the standard Caddy must be firm enough at highway for control yet soft enough in town for comfort. So you aim somewhere in the middle, compromising on both ends. The Magnaride lessens the compromise. It can allow a softer in town ride because the shocks will add the appropriate firmness for highway driving. Don't know if that is actually true, but the concept of the variable shocks would allow that kind of set up.

2. When I drove the Lux III, I felt more wallowing, maybe a bit more shudder, when large suspension movements occurred. That was pretty much eliminated by the Magnaride. So though the suspension might be stiffer, it gave a much more controlled ride, which resulted in a smoother ride that was perceived as softer.

To me the Performance model was closer to what I expect of a "Cadillac ride" than the standard suspension. That, along with a more responsive transmission sold me. (The car is due in the next two weeks.....)

Vic10 (aka TulsaVic)
    The proper terminology is "active suspension" for the magnaride. The performance sedan's suspension is computer adjusted for the roughness of the road so that the suspension is a firm as possible at all times while still soft enough to give a "Cadillac" ride. This will allow the performance DTS to handle better on good roads, while still riding nicely on rougher roads. The basic DTS suspension is tuned for a decent ride with good handling, or at least my SLS was. The advantage of the base suspension is that replacement struts will not cost a lot. The performance DTS should handle better than the base suspension, but for the best handling either the RWD CTS or STS would be better. However, there are other compromises with the RWD STS or CTS.
  • Call me a traitor - I sold the DTS for another Italian sports car. The seat was SOO painful that I had to succumb to what came natural to me. Now before the hatful emials come in I still love to all things Cadillac. I will most likely buy a XLR which I just drove. WOW so I will never leave my passion for Cadillac ever.

Newport BT
    I own both a 2005 Town Car and A 2006 DTS. No doubt that for me the Town Car is the better choice, It doesn't have that many high tec features as DTS but is much more reliable, feels like a luxury car (DTS fells more like a performance sedan). I have owned my Town Car for close to two years with no issues, the DTS had several issues with the electrical system
    when purchased new. The electrical system in DTS is still quirky at times but runs as designed most of the time. I enjoy owning these two fine cars but may choose either a Toyota, Honda, or Nissan as my partner for Town Car in the future. I am amazed to see so many American flags on the Japanese cars, I have never owned a foreign car but my experience with this DTS (my Third Cadillac) tells me it's time to strongly consider a Japanese car. The new car warranty on my DTS runs until mid 2011 or I would be inclined to trade it sooner.
    Judging from the posts on cadillacforums, I came to the conclusion that 2006 (which--correct me if I'm wrong--was the first year of the current design) was a particularly bad year for Cadillac. Even though the drivetrain was virtually identical, that year had many, many more complaints on quality. At least that's what I'm hoping since I will take delivery of a new 2008 DTS Performance next week.

I'd have to disagree with you on the Town Car. Granted, my only driving experience with one was a week long rental last year. But for such a large luxury car I found it uncomfortable. The seats gave the first impression of being soft, but I swear I could feel a hard bottom after awhile. Hated the driving position--plenty of legroom but sitting almost Corvette style with legs straight out rather than like sitting in a chair (which is what my 300C is like). Adequate performance around town but poor performance on the highway. Soft but not very controlled suspension. And one of the biggest complaints: Mushy brake pedal. I had to come to a sudden stop and had a hard time doing so...until I realized the engine was racing: The brake pedal mushed down so far that I ended up depressing the accelerator at the same time. (Granted, it WAS a rental car....). Overall it was a bit too dated for my tastes. Though I suppose for what you get for the money, it's a steal....
  • gbosleygbosley Posts: 20
    I have a 2008 DTS Performance , I took delivery end of Nov 07 I am taking it for First Oil Change monday it should be at 6000 mile mark , I have no complaints and really have enjoyed the car so far ,The Lane change warning in the mirrors saved me ,Not sure how i miss them as i looked but as i started into lane no warning and then they where there so i just eased back over start all over again .
    My Lady friend likes it enough she going to order a 09 in september , Enjoy the ride :)
    Thanks you for your well thought out and detailed response. You may be right about the 2006 model year. Many years ago I had heard that first model years were not good model years to buy in any car
    but I thought new quality controls by most manufacturers had improved upon this. I guess there could still be issues with first model years including Cadillac. I am reasonably satisfied with 2006 DTS but just have had bullet proof results with my Town Car. In addition (for me) the best part of my experience with T.C. has been the seats and interior comfort in general. One of the reasons I like the forums such as this is that owners can compare experiences and results and develop better insights in to the car owning experience. Of course this experience is enhanced when people like your self post their experiences with out trying to diminish the experiences
    of other owners and posters at this forum. Thanks again!