Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• bremertongbremertong Posts: 436
    Very interesting post. I just bought a new DTS so the first year of Onstar is free. I rarely use anyway and am wondering whether to start paying the monthly fee when my free subscription expires. Main reason I have is for emergencies, as you probably know the system summons help if the air bags deploy. With new technology the price should in fact go down but hasn't. They are currently asking me to take a customer satisfaction survey and wonder if people are beginning to cancel their service for various reasons.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Posts: 294
    Does anyone know when they are going to change the body of the DTS? I know that the 2006-7-8 is supposed to be light years better than the 2000-2005 but whatever GM says it looks like the same body to me and the front grille looks better and more proportional on the older models. I'll keep my 2003 until I see something that looks like a new and different body and if they downsize it I'll get a Town Car.
    I've never used it since I bought the car in January 2004 and keep paying for it but I think I'll dump it this winter when I have to pay the $15 for Digital PLUS a year in advance. I drove for 40 years before "On Star" and never missed it. The price will never go down and they keep on marketing it with scare tactics. Since I only use the Deville for trips I MAY go ahead with it but will certainly drop the On Star in my '06 Impala which is only used in town.
    It is a very individual decision and can understand your position in that I feel very much the same way. I carry a cell phone in my Town Car and feel it is for the most part sufficient. If I were to do long distance travel I would probably use the Cadillac because of the onstar system. Technology is getting lower in cost and it may be that Onstar will drop the price in that they may be able to pick up many more subscribers if the monthly fee is lowered.
    Now that I have had my 2006 DTS for close to three months I can say that I like the car better than my 2004 Deville. It has a much firmer suspension and the power delivery seems much more abundant and responsive than did the 04 Deville. On the negative side the 2006 DTS gets about 10% lower fuel
    economy than the 04 Deville. The 2008 DTS has no major changes from the 2006 and 07. I suspect that the next major change will come around 2010. I would also suspect that Cadillac will at some point in the not to distant future come out with an adaption of a Northstar hybrid. While I much preferred the comfort and ride of my 2005 Town Car to my 2004 Deville I can now say that the two cars are about even in overall desirability for my tastes and preferences.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    I am not sure that I would say that the 2006 DTS was that much improved over the 2000-2005 models, but there were improvements. I think that the next generation deVille (DTS...whatever) will be a rear wheel drive and will be a completely different car. They may merge the current STS and DTS into the same basic car, but that is not clear at this point. I think that the RWD DTS will be on a different platform than the sigma, so it will probably be about the size that it is now. It will be a few more years before it goes into production.
    Thanks - The warranty for the '03 doesn't run out till October of 2008 and I only have 56,000 miles on it -I just use it for out of town trips - so I have some time to make a decision. I will most likely sell it privately sometime next year when it still has a warranty remaining and will look for a 2006 or 2007 Performance since the ride is supposed to be better than the Luxury models. I don't want a stiff ride though so I'll drive one first and compare both of them.
    It would probably be easier to find a luxury model but I love a performance car myself and would have bought one if available and at the right price. The suspension on my 06 DTS is much more firm than on my 04 Deville and my 05 Town Car so you might give the luxury models a try and see if your satisfied. The key as I sense you already know is patience and of course enjoying the search.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I have found (renting the DTS) the ride and handling of this car to be the best of the group if you want some comfort, quiet and luxury. I think they have it quite right, if you ask me.
    I'll do that. I like the ride on my '03 base model so I'll check both.
    What model did you rent?
    if only Enterprise wasn't too cheap to pay for the satellite radio fee since the car came standard with XM radio! I expected satellite radio in renting a Cadillac, and didn't get it with Enterprise.

Next time try Hertz. They usually buy slightly upgraded cars from what the other companies buy. At least they have consistently in the past. When I buy cars at the auction, I always go to the Hertz sale, because their Tauruses for example, are often the SEL model, with leather, Sunroofs and power seats - whereas the Enterprise cars will always be SE models, with manual seats and no options at all.

My last Hertz rental was a Durango in Montana. It has XM radio in it.
    What model did you rent?

Several rentals over the past couple of years, but I assume they were all the basic DTS with XM.
    Just as I was beginning to like owning this car after several problems in my first months of ownership it would not start up at all today. Of course I called Cadillac and they are arranging a for a roadside effort to start the car or a tow to a near by dealership. This is my third Cadillac and have never had this many problems with the other two combined. Considering that this one was bought new and the others used I am of course very disappointed. The car only has 2500 miles on it.
    Depending on the outcome of all of this I will have to make some choices as to what to do about this. I have what has been a very reliable Lincoln Town Car as were most of my previous cars including the now defunct Plymouth Acclaims,
    Chrysler LHS and of course my two previous Cadillacs. Have other DTS owners at this forum had repeated electrical problems with their DTS models? What have you done and what was the outcome. Any suggestions as to how to get maximum help from Cadillac corporate will also be much appreciated.
    Was the battery dead? You just got a new battery and this suggests more serious problems than a defective battery. I will point out that on the used Cadillacs that you had, the first owner probably went through the agony of fixing all the problems so you got trouble free cars. :D
  • I've heard of some owners having electrical problems relating to poor grounding. Hope it's not too serious. Please keep us posted.
    The battery was dead when the tow truck arrived but they were able to jump start the engine so I could drive to the nearest dealership. It turns out that there is a TSB on this issue, relating to this issue. Document number given to me was ID# 1866186 Subject Battery goes dead (re program door modules) Key words DDM intermittent load module parasitic PDM # pic 4264-10/10/2006 and is referenced to 2006 DTS models. Condition Concern: The vehicle discharges or becomes dead while vehicle is parked. Recommendations/Instructions: Re program the door modules using the most current calibratation available. This problem is potentially present in models built before October 1, 2005. Above is a summary of the TSB. Dealer kept the car over night and it now seems fine BUT am not holding my breadth as this in milder form (hard starts and stall outs)
    has occurred in the first month of ownership. I am working with Cadillac corporate to try to resolve this issue in that while NOW corrected I am concerned it will happen intermittently in the future. One really bad aspect of this is that Onstar goes dead so can not be diagnosed from the satellite and can't use the phone to summon help. Fortunately the car was parked in my garage when the most recent incident occurred. I had hoped to use this vehicle for longer trips but with this issue now a question I may use my Town Car in that I have not had any problems and my cell phone operates independently from the vehicle. It would be a good idea for Onstar to have a separate battery for its system for emergencies of this sort. Thank you very much for your interest and concern. I will continue to post significant updates and welcome follow up questions and information from other DTS owners.
    Would you explain what you mean by stall out?

If they have cleared up the problem that was draining the battery, you should not have any furthur problems. However, taking a wait and see point of view is right.

As far as hard starts and an engine that stalls goes, if the battery is able to turn the engine over as it should, then that is some other problem.
  • gabby10gabby10 Posts: 32
    my 2003 d h s failed me 3 months after i got it , started car no head lights just engine running so i shut it down mistake that it was then nothing , no on star and had not program any cadillac number in my cell because i got on star , i figure i had a fail safe system , i was thinking about coming back to cadillac but after reading this not sure
    Your absolutely right! And oddly enough it does but it is only good for a short time (a few hours at most) after main battery goes dead. In my case I drive the DTS every other day generally alternating with my Lincoln Town Car. The DTS had been idle for about 46 hours and the defect causing the power drain had also caused the Onstar battery to go dead.
    I was just working on an Onstar survey of customer satisfaction online and it was so long, ponderous and irrelevant that I zapped it about 40% of completion. I have a feeling that my power issue may not have not been resolved and that I may be slightly surprised when the car is again dead at start up some morning. Needless to say unless I start getting better results from this car it will in fact be my last Cadillac. My experience with Cadillac has been going downhill, my 98 Deville was a trouble free car, 2004 Deville had a quirky cruise control and oil leak,
    this car has had three in shop repairs to the electrical system. I do like the appearance of these cars and they are good performers when they are working as they were meant to but the 2006 DTS with only 2600 miles on it has been a huge disappointment so far. If you buy a car other than DTS which cars and models are you considering? Many thanks for your reply and keep in touch so we as buyers and owners can help each other to get the best value and reliability for our money.