Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    Struts still have shock absorbers. The point is "we" don't know exactly what the vibration is or how serious it is. I have not had problems with balance. My 2002 Seville was basically the same thing as the DTS, only real difference is a shorter wheelbase. My OEM tires did not go out of balance while I owned the car, more than 50,000 miles.

One question that robw64 can think about is: is the vibration noticable in the steering wheel or not (the answer to this means the vibration is in the front suspension or the rear suspension).

The lemon law will not automatically result in getting your money back. First you have to "prove" the car is defective, which means that some disinterested person (probably more than one) will have to back you up that the car is defective and not repairable.
  • The car doesn't seem to be repairable based on all the times Robw64 has tried to get it repaired and failed. The steering wheel comment was good. I don't know how the Lemon Law works -it works differently in different States. I'd like an update from Robw64 as to what he has done to get the problem resolved and for those up us who have or are getting '06's and '07's his problem may turn out to be ours.
  • robw64robw64 Posts: 76
    Since the last post, we've tried to get rid of the car. My family (kindly) informed that this situation was making me difficult to live with and it had turned into a part-time job in itsef.

They were right.

We found a reasonable deal on a Lincoln MKX, but the dealer would only offer $24.1k for a trade on the Cadillac. They suggested we try appraising it at Car Max to see if a better offer could be made there. They came back with $23.5k, because 2006's are known to be troublesome (1st year of the re-design).

So, now we're debating whether to take a huge hit on trading the vehicle or try spending another $800 or so for another set of tires. I suppose I could buy them at the Cadillac dealer and if the problem doesn't go away they would have some solid proof it's the vehicle and not the rubber.
  • I'm not sure it's time to give up your DTS but I own a Lincoln Town Car that is everything as good as my DTS. The Town Car has to this point been much more reliable than my DTS and really feels like a luxury car. The DTS feels more like a performance sedan. When the the DTS works as it should I like them both equally but for different reasons and features. If you do trade you might try to find a low miles pre owned Town Car, they are available at very reasonable prices in the used market. One big advantage to Town Car is it gets about 20% better fuel economy than my DTS.
  • This is a good suggestion. Even a new Lincoln Town Car is heavily discounted. You can buy a new one for the price of a Program DTS at least around here. Robw64 could probably swap his car for a 2007 top of the line 2007 Town Car for little or no money. I haven't heard any more about the Lemon Law. Was this an option?
    I don't think that a new set of tires will make any difference. I don't know why you bought Pirelli's, which I think are more of a performance tire, but they should only ride a bit firmer. I think the problem is something not quite balanced right where the wheels mount onto the car - the hubs or more likely the brake rotors. I would think that this has been checked out by all of the service departments that have looked at this problem though.

Since you are trading it in because of a problems that seems unfixable, and assuming the problem is obvious to anyone who drives the car ( :confuse: ), you really will have to take a hit on the trade-in value. I mean who would buy this piece of junk :sick:
  • Yeah, its a tough decision, but I know I couldn't take that kind of hit financially.
  • I think the lemon laws and Cadillac by back program should be pursued before considering another car. I also think that some people just don't have the disposition to go through all the red tape of either of these programs. If I were in the same set of circumstances I would assess the cost in time, stress and related aggravation and decide whether it was worth my time based on a personal quality of life estimate. Each of us as you probably know have different ways of dealing with these issues and problems so there will never be an answer that fits all needs and preferences. Having said that I do think the Town Car would be a nice alternative to putting oneself through the lemon law or by back program. I was checking used Town Car prices and was amazed at how well these cars are holding up value wise after the initial large derpreciation hit. Part of the reason for the plateau is that Town Car for 2008 is only being produced in limited numbers at the new plant in Canada.
    If you search the Town Car forum for vibrations you will find that some owners have problems with vibrations.

My point here is that getting some other car may solve the problem, but may not. If one test drives the next vehicle, and there is no problem, then probably you will be OK, but who knows.
  • I would not be concerned about vibrations and Town Car. With any kind of luck based on my experience with both vehicles you will get a more reliable vehicle in Town Car than DTS and of course if you want to go NEGATIVE I'm sure you can find some Town Cars that are lemons too. I would take with a grain of salt, any postings at this forum from non owners of the DTS as I feel some of them will only confuse issues and not clarify them. Any brand of car can have issues, in my experience Cadillac has had a mediocre record of resolving mine and YES I do own a DTS!
  • My EXPERIENCE with DTS versus T.C. is that my Town Car is a far more reliable vehicle than my DTS. If you read owners forums you will find that any brand of car can have vibration problems!!! The problem with Cadillac is that they don't get problems resolved as quickly or efficiently as they should, and that again from A DTS OWNER and not a lurking bystander. Cadillac has produced a more high tech car and sacrificed reliability in the process.
    In J. D. Powers most recent dependability survey, Lincoln did a bit better than Cadillac:
    http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2005089

However, the difference is not great compared to how well both are compared to the industry average. The Town Car was rated top for mid level luxury, while the Cadillac Eldorado was rated high in the premium luxury car segment.

Bremertong's experience with one vehicle is all well and good, but a sample of one is not meaningful. Most of you with DTSs have not had a problem with vibrations, only robw64 is having this problem. Bremertong has had some problem with his electrical system, which he has had problems explaining in simple terms, I still don't know if the problem is the engine stalling or if the battery is weak :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
    It is not Cadillac who fixes your problems, but your dealer's service department who is not working for Cadillac. Resolving problems that are intermittent, like your cruise control problem, can't be done easily, particularly if the dealer is never able to reproduce the problem. I have found my Cadillac dealer's service department to be good. This does not mean that other dealers have good service departments, and one should consider the service departments reputation before buying anything from a dealer.

I did own a Cadillac Seville, which was for all practical purposes the same thing as the DTS - the same basic platform, which is the G-body, and my Seville was the third G-body I owned, so I do have some experience with G-bodies. I now own a Cadillac SRX, which is a different platform, but has been very reliable. I did have a dead battery one morning, but that has not repeated itself, and I think I ran the battery down playing with the power third row seat.
  • I have known many people who own Devilles who would not have a Seville and vice versa. The cars may be similar but THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!! Why anyone who AT ONE TIME OWNED A SIMILAR BUT NOT THE SAME MODEL of car would set them self up as an expert and have all the answers on a DTS is baffling if not amusing to me.
    If I should trade or sell my DTS in the future I will join the owners forum of the new vehicle, and not act as if to be an expert on a car that I no longer own unless I am bored and have nothing better to do with my time.
    To be fair I have found some of the information posted by the very few posters that this applies to a little helpful but a substantial amount of it
    is at the very least not helpful to me at all and in fact confuses issues and resolutions.
    The basic facts of life are that the FWD Seville and DeVille have the same engine and transmission. Most of the features are the same for both cars. The biggest difference in the two cars is the size. The Seville is a somewhat smaller car, but since the 1992 model year is not much smaller that the Deville. I have not claimed to be the all knowing expert that you seem to think that you are.
    for your information, assuming that like bremertong you don't read anything else here, there is an entire forum devoted to vibrations in the Buick Lucerne forums. The Lucerne is the same basic car as the DTS. To summarize, there is some thought that Michelin tires help minimize tire vibrations, but this has not solved everyones problems either. On the other hand, my Seville had Michelin tires and they did not cause me any balance problems.

If you like the Lincoln MKX, it is somewhat cheaper than the DTS new, so the difference to trade may not be that bad.
  • vic10vic10 Posts: 188
    Forgive me but I love whitewalls and to me a Caddy isn't a Caddy without them (the exception being the CTS). As I approach the purchase of my first one: Any experience with Vogue tires? Any other whitewall options out there?
  • I took the advice of a forum member and actually drove the two vehicles -one right after the other on the same route. I thought that the Performance would have a stiff ride like a Mercedes. It was great. It was very steady and felt similar to my old 2002 LeSabre Ltd. with the performance suspension. The Luxury II rode exactly like my 2003 base model DeVille. Blindfolded I wouldn't be able to tell any difference at all. If I was going to buy a non-Performance DTS I would simply not bother and keep my old one until a major body change. I noted that the dash is cluttered and the cockpit area feels more open in my 2003. The bottom line is that despite the hype over the "new" 2006 the cars ride and drive about the same as the 2000-2005's. No big deal. I will look for a Performance though in the spring -and will get a certified 2006 or 7.
  • I have never claimed to be an expert on anything much less cars. I always say the more you think you know the less you probably do. What I find interesting about your comments are that you are always ready to contradict what a person decides to do when in FACT YOU Don't OWN A DTS! You have the appearance of a shill for Cadillac in that most times when a person has problems with Cadillac or its' service you seem to take the part of Cadillac and blame the owner. And finally I want to thank you for all your advice in that when I have done THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU SO READILY ADVISE I HAVE COME OUT RIGHT A GREAT MAJORITY OF THE TIME. WHEN I HAVE GONE WITH YOUR ADVISE I HAVE COME OUT ON THE WRONG END A MAJORITY OF THE TIME. SIMPLY STATED YOU GIVE KNOW IT ALL ADVICE AND I DO THE OPPOSITE AND MOVE TOWARDS RESOLUTION. None the less I really could do with out your comments and would ask politely and publicly that you not respond to any of my posts in the future.
    My, my, my :P
    The point I have been trying to get across is that your Cadillac dealer is working for themselves, not "Cadillac", and if their service department is not doing a good job, that is your dealer not "Cadillac". However, a dealer whose service department is deficient should lose their franchise.

I did make a couple of suggestions with your old deVille's cruise control problems, one was replacing the steering wheel buttons, which did not change anything. In fact your dealer replaced the entire cruise control system so whatever the problem was, it was not the cruise control, but something else.

The problems that you have had with your new DTS have been puzzling to me based on the description you gave for the problem. My suggestion is that when you have a problem that you describe it to your service department in simple language, and not try to seem more knowledgeable than you really are.