Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• vic10vic10 Posts: 188
    Yup. All that overhang. Interestingly enough, I found I scrape if I back into the driveway (preferred) but don't if I nose in. The CTS, though, I think would be more problematic. It looks to have half the front end ground clearance of the DTS, so in addition to the driveway concerns, there would be the issue of high speed bumps and all those cement parking lot bumpers....
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    GM does not list ground clearance anymore, but my guess is that both are about the same. The difference is that the CTS's front wheels are closer to the frontend than the DTS's. You can check the CTS out on your driveway to see if that makes any difference. I can tell that my SRX, which is a SUV with 8 inches of clearance, does not scrape on any driveway I have tried it out on, and I have tried it out on the worst ones that I know about in this area.
  • At the time I bought my 2006 DTS I gave Onstar my home phone number as phone of record. Now I am receiving unwanted marketing calls from them several times a week asking me to buy additional products marketed by Onstar. I have placed a complaint with Cadillac customer service and a complaint with Onstar both documented with file numbers. I was told well over ten days ago that the unwanted marketing calls would stop within ten days but I continue to receive as of this date which is many more than ten days ago. I tried to remove my home phone number at the online customer change phone number site but the computer would not accept my cell phone number in place of my home phone. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a quick and simple way to resolve it? Needless to say it is very unlikely I will pay to keep Onstar when the one year free subscription expires in a few months. The fact that Cadillac has not been able to help resolve this issue is one more reason that I may not buy another Cadillac. With this kind of activity on the part of Onstar they are helping both Mercedes and Lexus in tha I don't need a system that hard sells its product with unwanted marketing calls. Any information by other owners to resolve this issue will be appreciated.
    I have not gotten any calls from OnStar. Once a month I do get an email with a diagnostic list of service needs (usually none).
  • Given that there are tens of thousands of DTS models on the road, a conservative estimate would be around 45,000 for the model years 2006-2008 and only 712 posts here, I have a few thoughts to share.

I suggest the following new guidelines:

1. that on an honor system that only DTS owners or GM personnel or other car mechanics with a knowledge of DTS post here. I have found some of the posts from non DTS owners unhelpful and even after discouraging them from posting replies to me they do so anyway.

2. That Edmunds update its forum to allow unwanted replies to owners to be block able so one needn't even have to see them. I have found much of the information and advice of non owners here (one in particular) to be unhelpful and unsolicited.

3.Given the number of these cars on the road and the fact that so few people post here including a few non owners with unsolicited advice I think it is time for Edmunds to consider new guidelines and rules in connection with these forums. If carefully considered and evaluated I believe the number of owners that used this forum would at least triple.

In any event I hope the hosts and Edmunds will evaluate what can be done to make these forums more relevant to the individual owner.

Respectfully submitted,
    bremertong
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    While I am not a host, but interested in a DTS ( and its step-child Lucerne), I believe that an open forum format like this simply means that there will always be folks who post wrong or irrelevant information, and all we can do is deal with it...

FWIW, sometimes non-owners have friends who have had useful experiences with the car or dealer service, and why should they not post what they may know or not know???

Further, even when someone posts something that did not work or was ineffective at solving a problem, that info is just as valuable as telling you what might work, since what might work for one might not work for you, and what did not work for one might be the answer for you...

Besides, unless they email you personally, responding to this topic is NOT responding to you directly, since their responses are available for all to read, which may not help you with a problem but may help someone else...I have been helped by responses I read to other's questions and then other's answers, saving me the time to post myself and hope for a response...

You could start a blog of your own... ;) ;)
  • I agree with you. You do not have to read or post to this site if you do not like what you read. I find that all messages are helpful to some degree, either positive or negative. And yes, I do own a DTS, a 2006 Performance model.
    Think I know who you're concerned with (I've gotten a few, some would say, stupid comments from the individual) but alas, that's what you have to deal with in a forum. The lunies are everywhere.... Now if you really want an experience, go to the mainstream full size sedan site and dare make a negative comment about the Azera.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing, though, is an identifier for salesmen/dealers.
  • Thanks for your post no 716, it made a sensible follow up to my suggestions. I really expected a better format here but since there is no charge for the group and I have met some very nice folks here I guess I will accept it as it is. If you will look at my efforts to assist owners that had problems or questions you will better understand the difference in style and approach to that of the subject poster. I do not believe my approach is better than the others but always try to be respectful and supportive of the owner having the problems or questions as opposed to telling them "the way it is" so to speak.
    I felt your post put good balance to the issues and for that I thank you. I do hope the hosts will try to keep track of these pages and improve them over time.
    Best wishes!
  • I own both a 2005 Lincoln Town Car and 2006 DTS. I find the seats in the Town Car to be more comfortable than the DTS but the DTS seats are also comfortable for my slender frame. Suggest you
    check back with your dealer to see if there is an after market seat that would adapt to your DTS. You could probably get just the drivers seat if this is a workable solution and perhaps that would solve. You might also
    have the dealer check to see if there is another GM
    car either Cadillac or other that would have a seat that would adapt to your DTS. Please come back and post the resolution to your question as it is an unusual
    one and other owners might benefit by knowing how you resolved this issue. Best wishes!
  • I bought my 06 DTS used. Got a great value and the car has been solid for most parts, but I have been literally struggling with the on going pain in my lower back with how poorly the seats upper back is designed and just damn uncomfortable after about 15 minutes of driving. I may be spoiled or tainted by the seats of my other cars (Audi A6 and 2 Maserati's - QP and GranTursimo) as I bought this as my everyday car and to cart my dog around in, which he loves as the rear windows go all the way down so that he can windsurf with his nose fully out the back. I LOVE Cadillac's always have and don't want to dump this car but I am fast becoming tortured by the seats. My servicing dealer is the best and we have literally pulled the seat back off and pulled back the lumbar support mechanism that 'rolls' the lumber up & other things to 'soften' it. It helped greatly, but not completely.
    So I ask - "am I the only one with this pain of experience?"
  • I own both a 2005 Lincoln Town Car and 2006 DTS. I find the seats in the Town Car to be more comfortable than the DTS but the DTS seats are also comfortable for my slender frame. Suggest you
    check back with your dealer to see if there is an after market seat that would adapt to your DTS. You could probably get just the drivers seat if this is a workable solution and perhaps that would solve. You might also
    have the dealer check to see if there is another GM
    car either Cadillac or other that would have a seat that would adapt to your DTS. Please come back and post the resolution to your question as it is an unusual
    one and other owners might benefit by knowing how you resolved this issue. Best wishes!
  • I have a 2006 DTS Performance and the seats are very comfortable. That is one reason I purchased this particular vehicle. I am 6’ 2” and have had back surgery in the past. I have made several trips of 1200 miles or more and have never had a problem. I find the DTS seats very supportive. On occasion I have had to rent (Lincoln) for business trips and in 30 minutes or so I will have to stop and walk around due to the pain caused by the seats. On another note, watch out with your dog hanging his head out the window (ask any vet) it is not good for the dogs eyes.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,077
    ...but I just purchased a leftover new 2007 Cadillac DTS Performance back on Friday, November 23, 2007. I traded a 2002 Cadillac Seville STS. My car is Black Raven with the Ebony leather interior. It has just about every conceivable option on it. Unfortunately, I haven't driven the car too much due to the inclement weather. Can't wait for spring so I can take this baby out on the road again! Until then, I'm driving my old 1988 Buick Park Avenue.

Oh, and that whole deal about the DTS being an "old person's car?" I'm a very youthful 42!
    I wouldn't be too sure about 42 being youthful...why, you're almsot ready to file for Social Security...have you started looking into nursing homes yet???

..........:):):):):):):):):).................I just slay me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kpsmkpsm Posts: 12
    I have an 06 DTS Performance model with every option except for adaptive cruise control, and have now put about 11k on it. I wouldn't have bought a DTS except for the Performance package, with the peppy engine and the excellent suspension.

I love the acceleration of this car, at all speeds. The regular DTS, by contrast, seems very sluggish to me, like a grandfatherly car.
    In total agreement with you on the DTS vs DTS Performance. Very much a different automobile. Comparing a DTS Lux III to a STS Performance (V6), I much preferred the STS. But the gents on the Cadillacforums urged me to drive the DTS Performance before buying anything. I did and preferred it over the STS in performance, response, and of course comfort and space. It even felt more responsive than the V8 STS, and that was after a back to back comparison. The result: I ordered a new DTS last week....
  • kpsmkpsm Posts: 12
    That's very interesting information.

When I was looking at cars, I did not get really interested until I did a test drive in a Performance Model DTS. On ride and I was ready to sign up.

And I still have fun driving the car. It's like, not more miles per gallon, but more smiles per gallon, to paraphrase a line that I saw in a recent movie.
    The difference is due more to the axle ratio differences: the base engine has a 3.11:1 ratio while the performance model gets a 3.71:1 ratio. The performance engine actually has less torque, particularly at lower engine speeds (below 3000 RPMs). However, with the gearing differences, the torque (and horsepower) at the wheels is somewhat greater with the performance package. The graphs of the torque and horsepower for each engine are:
    performance package
    base engine

The RWD northstar adds variable valve timing and has more torque than either FWD engine:
    RWD northstar

However, this engine is not rated with the current SAE standard.
    a used 2006 DTS to replace my Crown Vic, because of the highway mpg of 25-27, and my local repair shop (Goodyear) informed me that the performance model had special tires that wore out after 25-30K miles, very expensive, and that the 3.71 ratio meant that the performance model only got about 20 on the highway (altho it performed much better)...

If true, I could probably replace the perf tires with luxury size tires for 70K miles, but I could not change the rear ratio...

For those who have the perf model, what kind of highway mpg do you get???