Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• john178john178 Posts: 48
    Bremertong- I have found On Star quite useful in my 2006 DTS. Turn by turn navigation system saved me around 20 minutes being directed by On Star to travel backroads to avoid a long line of cars exiting a basketball game. I have also found it to be useful when traveling to a business meeting in a large city, and other times where directions are needed. There have been numerous times my personal cell phone gets poor or no reception in parts of the county I reside in.In 2 years, I have locked my keys in the car, and within 10 minutes both times On Star unlocked my car. I also like the diagnostics report I receive on line each month. When I first subscribed to On Star, I didn't think I would have a need or desire to enroll again, but I'm glad I renewed for another year.
  • bremertongbremertong Posts: 436
    Given the high depreciation rate of DTS and most luxury cars for that matter, I wondered if I should lease my next DTS or successor Cadillac model. Owning two cars I drive them about 7500 miles each year so the mileage factor would be in my favor. I have always bought my cars for cash and would not consider an auto loan. I would enjoy always having the most updated cars. Have any of the participants of this forum leased? What are the advantages and the pitfalls?
  • kenb757kenb757 Posts: 149
    My recommendation is to do a Smart Buy with a minimal down payment. At the end of 24 mos. (or 36 mos.) you can either buy the car for the pre-determined price or you can turn it in and walk-away, very much like a lease. Also, I just got a notice in the mail that Cadillac is offering $2k purchase cash plus $3k customer cash on a new DTS.
    Does a smart buy mean I would be taking out a loan for the two year period and paying interest on the balance? As I understand a lease it would not involve interest just a monthly payment and a deposit.

Many thanks for your reply.
  • wes63wes63 Posts: 3
    DTS with 1100 miles purchased NEW Feb 27, 08. Car had a vibration on the test ride and the dealership said he'd remove the Continental tires and replace them with Michelins (Energy plus). Vibration noticed on ride home at all speeds from 35-70 mph. Returned to dealer and he re-balanced tires. Shop manager (he) test drove the car and still felt the vibratation. He swapped a set of tires and wheels off a NEW DTS with Energy plus tires and the test ride also had vibrations. He force balanced the set of tires and wheels I drove to the shop and they were reinstalled. He test drove the vehicle and it still has the same vibrations. While the Energy plus is a recommended tire by GM the Michelin Pilot MXM4 Model # (MSPN) 21201 is a more expensive tire and also recommended by GM. The Pilot, as quoted by Michelin, "Uses computer-optimized design and precision manufacturing to offer greatly reduced vibrations and road noise." I have an appointment in two days to leave the car with the shop manager to find a resolution. I'm not confident that the tires are the problem but maybe the stiffer sidewall of the Energy plus exacerbates the the level of vibration.
  • robw64robw64 Posts: 76
    Wes63: I'm sorry you're having this suspension issue with your DTS.....it sounds very similar to the unresolved problem we had with my 2006 DTS Lux III.

From my experience, I would recommend you install only the tires recommended by the dealer (and let them do it). By installing tires purchased elsewhere, I unknowingly gave Cadillac a "way out" excuse which allowed them to completely blow me off with the claim that I caused the problem myself by putting on non-factory tires.

Even though I ended up getting rid of my DTS (I just couldn't take the vibration anymore) I still have followed this issue all over the internet. It seems to be very common on these vehicles, yet completely unresolved for the 2007 and 2008 model years.

Good luck with your Caddy. Keep us posted.
  • gbosleygbosley Posts: 20
    I have a 2008 DTS with performance package , i have the bridgestone turanza el400 , i have to say that it runs super smooth ,But the interesting thing i almost swap out the tires on delivery for yokohama tires , the bridge stones got such a bad write up on tire rack i thought about changing to them, When the sales manager called me and talk about making the change and he suggested to stay with original equipment because of so many issues with vibration , He told me if i change to something else it would be out of there hands to correct .
    I think it amazing that GM has not got a handle on this and the salesman told me there been a few cases that even with original equipment they lemon law the car
    being through Lemon Law on Audi A6 i will tell you to get all paper work before you leave shop , if your entitle to loaner take it even if you take it home and park it
    record dates and times on phone to gm or garage and
    any comments made by tech or any rep, good luck , i hope that they can fix it and you don't have to do lemon law
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Posts: 294
    Just out of curiosity has anyone on this forum had zero problems with a 2007 or 2008 DTS? I'm keeping my 2003 Deville forever at this rate. 65,000 miles and not one problem. Runs perfectly -everything works, and it gets 30 mpg on the road or more. I suppose when I finally do replace it I may look at a used Lincoln Town Car or used Lexus. Cadillac -as evidenced by all the complaints -has not improved in the last 5 years.
    My experience with my 2006 DTS supports your statement. I owned a 2004 Deville which also got 30 MPG on the highway, my 2006 DTS gets around 26.5.
    My 2005 Town Car gets about 29.5 in highway driving. T.C. weighs about 400 lbs. more than DTS, has a slightly smaller engine but has more than enough power in most every driving situation. You would be wise to consider any of the brands and models you mention. Only problem with Lexus is the cost to value ratio. I think Town Car wins on that basis against almost any luxury auto. Test drive them all and pick the one that suits you best and let us know who gets your preference and choice. In the meantime I would be in no hurry to part with your 2003 Deville. Best wishes!
  • kpsmkpsm Posts: 12
    I'm at two years and 14,000 miles on my '06 Performance Model DTS. I have had zero problems with this car. I've had the oil changes (free from my dealer) and had the tires rotated once; otherwise I have not had any servicing done on the car.

The ride is excellent, with no vibration, ever. I'd call this car the most trouble free car that I've ever had, and the most fun to drive.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Posts: 294
    Great to hear. Hope others reply too. Karl Spence
  • john178john178 Posts: 48
    I have a 2006 Luxury ll DTS with just shy of 30,000 miles on it. The quality has been excellent- the only time I have had it back to the dealer is for oil changes and tire rotations. The comfort and ride continue to be the best I have experienced of any car I've owned. A friend of mine who rides with me to business meetings said his Lexus does not compare to the comfortable ride of the DTS. He wanted his wife to purchase either a CTS or DTS, but she insisted on a Lexus- and he agreed that the mindset of too many people is that imports, just because of their name, are better than domestics. My first experience with owning a Cadillac will not be my last- I will be a repeat customer..
  • texasjimtexasjim Posts: 9
    I am on my second 2006 Performance Sedan. (first one burned in a garage fire)

Total of over 65,000 miles on the two cars.

I have had a few minor issues. (I am very very picky) They have all been fixed correctly and promptly by my dealer while driving a nice loaner.

All in all, I am very happy with my Cadillac. I will be buying another in a couple of years.

Texas Jim
  • wes63wes63 Posts: 3
    I appreciate the information provided by robw64 (this is wes63- go figure why I cannot login as such) about ensuring the dealership handle ALL WORK less your warranty being voided, and while I'm very sympathetic about taxasjim losing his DTS in a fire this may be my best option. The dealer changed my tires to Michelin Pilot MXM4 tires and they have improved the overall level of comfort since the sidewall is not so stiff. However there is still a slight vibration coming from the suspension system. The car is abviously a great looking car and there are plenty of bells and whistles for me but I think Cadillac has done themself a dissevice by designing a suspension system too sensitive. You cannot combine a european sport-autobahn designed system with a comfort system because that ends up being an oxymoron. OR THERE IS A REAL PROBLEM OUT THERE WITH ALMOST ALL DTS' This car will never drive like a Continental, a Park Avenue or any other large soft riding luxury car. If you want a sprot suspension may I suggest a BMW 525 * * * Series. If you have problems do not let anyone touch the car except a GM dealership and follow the guidelines in the owners manual until you get an acceptable resolution. Me, I'm still on the hunt for a resolution and I'm not stopping until I get this issue resolved. Good Luck
  • swhite407swhite407 Posts: 6
    After 6 months of trying to get my 2006 DTS lemon-lawed, Cadillac (GM) is still playing games with me. I will not stop until they repurchase this car because of all the suspension problems I have had with it. It has sat in my garage for the last 6 months because I refuse to drive it.GM stated there was nothing wrong with the car. After the BBB turned me down because GM reps LIED, I took it back to another dealership and they found bad tie rod ends. This was AFTER they replaced lower control arms, front end axle and front srut assembly twice! I continue to have a bad vibration (my tires have been changed by the dealership already BTW) in the front end. My meeting with the Atty. Generals office was set for May 6th. GM notified my attorney that they were going to repurchase the car and make me a written offer by May 6th. Today is May 24th and we have heard nothing! Because GM told the attorney of the written offer, my meeting with the Atty. Generals office got post-poned for 90 days. SO...to make a long story short, if you plan to take on the Cadillac division of GM, be prepared for their games and lies. After 4 Cadillacs, I am perfectly happy with my trouble-free Hyundai!
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    There have been Park Avenue owners who have had problems with vibrations too, so do not think that it is only the DTS or DeVilles that have this problem. If replacement or balancing the tires does not resolve the problem, then something is out of balance, like the brake rotors. Since the brake rotors don't come off with the wheels, they will stay out of balance. I think unresolved vibrations are a problem for a very few owners.

The basic problem with trying to make a FWD sedan into a sport sedan is that the weight on the front wheels makes handling less than perfect (whatever that may mean). The RWD Cadillac sedans (STS and CTS) are sport sedans and are a better choice than the DTS for a sport sedan.
  • otto8otto8 Posts: 116
    Hey All....Long time no post!

Anyhoo...........I finally took the plunge and traded my 03 Deville base that
    had 53k miles and was for the most part troublefree with only 1 visit
    to the service dept. for a water pump seal and a emission programming
    recall. Aside from several $19.95 oil changes no other services were
    required in the almost 5 years I had the car....................

While wintering in Daytona the local Caddy dealer had several used
    o7 DTS models for a reasonable $27k so I figured I would take a look!
    Found a nice loaded out Lux 3 pkg in Diamond white that was a GM PEP
    unit and not a rental with 2,700 miles.

I wanted a new 08 but even with my GM employee deal the MSRP of
    almost $50k on a lux3 and my final price of around $38k the 07 was
    quite the deal !!!!!!!!!!!
    I only got $15k trade allowance on my 53k mile 03 but it did need
    brakes and tires as the original Michelins were pretty thin............

I hope this new one will serve me as well as my past Caddies and
    I do run them hard and put them away wet at times ! :shades:
  • kenb757kenb757 Posts: 149
    Speed dependent vibration in a car is usually caused an imbalance of a rotating mass, most likely the wheels and tires. In a fwd car there is no long driveshaft connecting the rear axle to the transmission, so let's assume it's the wheel/tire combination. When the tires are mounted they need to be matched to the wheels; the high spot (mass) on the tire is matched to the low spot on the tire. This is usually indicated by painted dots. Then, the balancing should be done with an on-car spin balancer. This will compensate for any remaining imbalances and most accurately simulate real world driving. If your dealer doesn't have an on-car spin balancer, go to an independent who does. FYI: I've got Michelin Pilots on my 07 DTS and everything is very smooth. Now if we could eliminate the vibration from the Northstar V-8 and the road noise, I'd be happy with it.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    It is important to have both a static as well as dynamic balance. I think that the on car balance method only gets you a static balance, but if the wheels/tires are balanced first to get the dynamic balance, then the on car balance can correct of any problems that may exist with the rotating mass composed of the brake rotors and axles.
  • woofbitewoofbite Posts: 3
    Are you thinking of an MKS? I've been looking at the brochure and plan to drive one when local dealers have them. I really wanted a new STS or DTS but the 2008 DTS is apparently identical to my 2006 and 2009's will be too. STS's always feel so cramped because of their two-foot wide consoles which I hate.
    Seems like, no matter how big or small the exterior of a car, the driver gets a 20 by 40 inch box in which to live.
    Bring back the Hummer 1. (well maybe not, but they were roomy).