Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    The thing that I can't understand is this prejudice against senior citizens that the car reviewers seem to have. Buicks are for "blue haired matrons", Devilles are for "old people" etc etc. There are lots and lots of people over 60 and the life span of these old folks increases every year. They have plenty of money to buy expensive cars and many of them take long road trips and like Devilles, LeSabres, Town Cars, Mercedes S Models, Lexus 430's etc. I'm not crazy about the new DTS either. The old Deville had the nicest lines since the 1966 Cadillac. Why is it sinful to build a conservative car that appeals to older people? I wouldn't take a cross country trip in a Toyota Camry. I don't have to. I like my Deville and hopefully will buy several more. I would think that the car manufacturers would deliberately slant advertising to older people. Cadillac used to back in the '50's and '60's. Cruise lines that operate really upscale ships do, and so on, but car reviewers automatically discount Devilles, LeSabres, etc as cars for old people. I went through my sport car phase -I don't have to drive them anymore thank God.
  • kcmoverkcmover Posts: 29
    I currently own a 2002 Caddy DTS, Loaded with everything but the Moon roof. always dealer maintained and brand new tires. the car has 56,000 miles and I am ready to trade it. But Have decided that since my dealer is a con-artist. I won't go back to them and have started looking at Mercedes and Lexus vehicles. GM has seemingly decided that Owner loyality means nothing and the value of a 2002 DTS to this dealer is almost 75% less then the original sticker price. How will GM stay in business if they can't take a buyer who is in his forties on his 4th Caddy and sell him another one. Is it just me or is it The Hendrick dealership I am doing business with or GM.
    A used car trade in to a dealer is worth -at the most - exactly what it would cost the dealer to purchase a similar one at the GM auction of ex-rental cars and lease returns. The "wholesale blue book" is a joke. How does the price the dealer wanted to pay you for your 2002 DTS compare to the wholesale blue book ? I'll bet it was $2-3k less. I would sell the car privately. If you have any realtors who are friends I'd create a flyer with a photo of the car and details on it along with the private party price. Ask him or her to distribute the flyer at the next meeting of the local Board of Realtors (these are usually once a week and the realtors do a house tour of new listings after the meeting). I did this with my 10,000 mile 2002 LeSabre Limited (I inherited it and already had a Deville) a couple of months ago and immediately sold it to a realtor for $15,000 -the retail value. A realtor in our company recently purchased a 2001 Seville SLS with 80k miles (but still had 20k to go on a Certified warranty) for $11,000 from a fellow realtor. This is a great market for full size cars like yours. If the car is a "certified" one with the remainder of the 6 year 100,000 mile warranty it is even a better deal.
    You might want to buy a "Certified" Deville rather than a new one. The warranty is 6 years or 100,000 miles vice 48 months/50,000 miles for a new car. You should definately NOT trade in your present car. Sell it at least for the Edmunds private party price.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,675
    we don't allow any buy/sell offers in the Forums. Posts have been removed.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

So what did you do? Did you look at a Lexus? Did the Lexus dealer offer you any more on a trade? Did you explore the realtor route?
  • I am a fourth generation Cadillac owner. I presently own a 2002 Escalade and a 1996 Deville (close to 200K and still runs like a top). Both of these models will be the last Cadillacs I ever buy.

I am 28, and I think GM is making a huge miscalculation if they believe this new restyling will attract younger buyers to their line. Cadillacs are regarded for their sophistication, quality, and luxury. This new DTS looks like a throwback to the late 90's Oldsmobile lineup before they went ca-plump. The new DTS is ugly. It has no marked styling. Cadillac seems to be no longer taking their line seriously.

Young buyers expect the same thing from a Cadillac that older buyers do: A refined automobile that is elegant and distinctive. The name Cadillac speaks for itself. It makes no sense to drastically redesign a vehicle that was already on the fringe of what a true Cadillac is in the first place.

Incidentally, can someone please explain to me why the resale value of Cadillacs is so low?
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    What exactly is so bad with the styling of the DTS? Let's be honest, the DTS is nothing more than a refreshed Deville with a new name and interior. The exterior isn't radically changed either. The DTS's styling differences from the current Deville are only that the headlights and taillights seem taller and slimmer.

I now believe that Cadillac is taking their lineup's styling more seriously than ever. We now know that Cadillacs are marked by tall, thin head and taillights, and the styling is pretty angular, the opposite of a Lexus. Audi BMW and MB all have their own traditional styling cues and Cadillac is joining the group.

You say Cadillacs are regarded for sophistication, luxury and quality and while I dont disagree, I do feel that the DTS from the pictures seems to be the epitome of these three things. Just look at the interior pictures and the options list and you will know.

Compare the Deville and the DTS. The DTS is not a major redesign of the Deville, rather a refreshed version of the Deville. It's what Chevy did to the Venture, they used the same platform, slapped on some different exterior styling and added a new interior and options. And there you have it, the 2005 Uplander.

I don't know why the resale value of Cadillacs is so low. But I do know that young and old folks alike will appreciate the Deville. It takes whatever was good about the Deville and improves it.

And someone is so disgusted with the new DTS, I would suggest buying a Town Car, Lucerne, Avalon or 300 instead of complaining about a great car.
    Have not done anything yet. I've looked hard and long maybe the M-350 from Mercedes or the Avalon from Toyota. At least the depreciation won't be as bad.
    I've been wondering the same thing on the Resale value being so low. It shouldn't cost so much to drive a CADDY. Three year old Toyota's have a better resale value.
    Thanks for the advice on what to buy instead of a Caddy. This is my 3rd one and my Father has purchased over 15 of them over the years. It's really sad that a great company like GM just can't do the right things marketing wise.
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    Wow! 15 Cadillacs has got to be a record, LOL!

But Cadillacs have been pretty good cars over the years, (except the Cimmaron, Allante, 1st gen Escalade) so I guess brand loyalty happens when the cars are of good quality.

Although what really is sad is that Lincoln is getting whipped in the luxury segment because of their small and incomplete model lineup. :cry:
    I don't understand why anyone would pay anywhere close to 50k for a new Deville when there are all sorts of one year old or less ones on the resale market with the certified 100k warranty. These will run $25-30 depending on mileage. The greatest depreciation is behind you and you get a far better warranty than either MB or Toyota. The lease returns have the most equipment. Many individuals and businesses lease a Deville and turn it in within a year. These units have 12,000 miles or so on them. The Avalon is a nice car -feels kind of fragile to me and doesn't feel like a full size car when you drive it. MB reliability is not too hot and parts cost a fortune. I'll stick to certified Cadillacs. Neither MB or Toyota will give you any more for your trade than GM will. You need to bite the bullet and sell it privately unless money is of no object.
  • EVERY Cadillac (not just the DeVille) DEPRECIATE in an "unnerving" manner. MOST vehicles do. Americans are mesmerized with their mobility and status. A NEW vehicle satisfies BOTH of these "wants." One can now buy a new DTS (sticker $52K) for about $40K. In a few years it's worth HALF that.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    much redesigned, just how much are they doing to the 2006 DTS compared to 2005, since it is staying FWD???
  • ALL USA automaker cars depreciate bad because I guess their domestic, however TOYOTAS depreciate horrible in Europe as their as not a popular as in the U.S.
  • vince11vince11 Posts: 11
    Does anyone know when the 2006 DTS, will go on sale and what cost will be?
  • vic10vic10 Posts: 188
    Forgive me. I come from a European immigrant family where all of the uncles and some of the aunts fought either the Germans or the Japanese during WWII and where, consequently, you didn't dare mention the thought of purchasing a "foreign" car. So it was American cars all the way and Cadillacs, and to a limited extent Lincolns and Imperials, were cars to aspire to. And I loved them, especially the early 1960's.

Forgive me. I like the interior of my car to be, well, like a bordello. Give me a spectacular looking dash (one of my favorites is from the -64-'66 T-birds, but generally speaking, GM lead the pack here in those years. And could one ever forget the glorious deep-dish steering wheel of a '62 Olds? ) not one that looks like something from a steam boiler. And give my seats and door panels tuffs and tucks and pleats and chrome accents. It doesn't mean the seats can't be comfortable too.

Forgive me. But when did we loose our sense of "pretty"? Back in the '50's and '60's we'd look at a tire and say: Butt ugly. So we'd spend 50 bucks and put on a flashy hubcap and a white ring and suddenly it wasn't butt ugly anymore. Then came the '70s and some new advertising whizbang decided that the Europeans had the edge on style (apparently never having seen an early BMW or a Peugeot 404) and they didn't have whitewalls or hubcaps. So we did without the whitewalls until we opened our eyes again and realized that tires are in fact butt ugly. Only now there are no more whitewalls...so we spend 1000 bucks to put on chrome wheels. Are we better off? I still think whitewalls do a better job.

But I'm digressing. Cadillac was always a goal--as was a salary to be able to afford one. Then something happened. My salary was there but the car I aspired to wasn't. I also think Cadillac is missing the mark with this new styling theme. Someone who is looking at a BMW or Mercedes is not going to look at a Cadillac no matter how it looks (nor will he be turned away by a BMW no matter how bad it looks--for example the 700 series with the bustle trunk it now sports). But the new Cadillac look has turned me away from the car of my dreams. I try to like the new STS and CTS but it just looks like a series of incongruous slabs slapped together. Perhaps it's an improvement over the totally bland, taxi-cab look of the 2000 Devilles. But that's not saying much. Chrysler did a much better job with their 300, and Ford with their 500. Almost the same comments apply to the Cadillac's interior. It just looks incongruous and plain jane. The last decent looking Caddy was the 1999...because it looked like a Caddy. You could trace the styling cues back to the glorious ones of the early 60's.

I feel that GM has let me down. It "un-idoled" the car of my dreams. Alas, this is one customer Cadillac has lost.
  • Production started the end of June, so the DTS will be on sale around mid August. Also you may want to check a large volume dealer they may have one now.
  • veneyveney Posts: 1
    Any news on the price for the 2006 Deville.