Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• lanzzlanzz Posts: 75
    volvodan, I think you are correct. I have a 2006 DTS Performance with Nav - I do not know of a digital clock - just the analog clock in the dash.
  • carnutpacarnutpa Posts: 42
    Hopefully, someone (or Cadillac) will make a digital clock that will just pop into the spot where the analog clock is. It just seems to me that from where the driver sits, where your eyes are, to look at that clock while driving 70 mph and be able to quickly tell what time it is very difficult. I am in business and I pay very close attention to time. I find myself looking at the clock often while driving. I can glance at my digital clock in an instant and see exactly what time it is. I can't do that with the clock on the 2006 DTS and that would frustrate me.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    Obviously you are correct. When I made the comment in 2004 I didn't know what the 2006 radio was going to have standard. Now I am waiting for a total DTS redesign. Does anyone have any idea when this will happen?
    I've heard that the DTS will be redesigned at the end of the decade and will get rear wheel drive. Does any insider know anything about this?
  • kpsmkpsm Posts: 12
    I thoroughly enjoyed my loaded 2001 Aurora with the 5-year, 60k warranty for 50,000 miles. Checking out new cars, I first drove the 6 cylinder STS, but it seemed sluggish to me. Then I tried the V-8 Buick Lucerne which seemed peppier, but still sluggish compared with my Aurora. Then we drove a DTS Performance model with the NAV system, and it took me no time at all to want it.

We now have the Light Platinum color, with everything on it except for the Adaptive Cruise Control, which I do not want. This car will really move, but the ride is about the best that I've ever experienced.

I wanted the NAV for the enhanced display for XM radio. I am now enjoying using the voice command system for changing radio channels and CD tracks. My wife really likes the analog clock.

We just took delivery on Monday, so these are my early impressions. But, it appears to me that my new Performance DTS is a very worthy successor to my Aurora that I had enjoyed so much for the past four and one-half years.
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    I'm considering getting a base DTS for my wife this month. I'm a little concerned that the Caddy's size will make it a chore to park and not much fun to drive. I want to get the Lucerne-it's just slightly smaller. My wife likes the DTS...I'm also thinking of the STS. I'm just a little afraid of the DTS's size.

Other than acceleration(which I'm not too worried about),how did you compare the three?. I'd get the base six in the other two,btw.
    The DTS doesn't seem bigger to me than my Aurora, except for length. There's more rear seat leg room and a bigger trunk.

Width seems like what I've been accustomed to. The STS AWD that I drove seemed narrow to me, and its seat was not as comfortable.

My DTS is definitely fun to drive.
  • dotbowelsdotbowels Posts: 43
    Trying to see if I can live with the smaller ES, I've driven Cadillacs for many years but am sick of the depreciation.

Going to be a tough decision.
  • jimwilsonjimwilson Posts: 2
    Your correct, there in no digital clock in the DTS with Nav, only the analog one above the radio console which is totally worthless!
  • quarrlesquarrles Posts: 1
    Took delivery of my new 2006 DTS a week ago. Did not notice (my fault) that Cadillac Motor Division had mounted Continental Touring Contact AS tires on it, 235/55 R17. These are $63.00 retail, tires.(Tirerack.com) $252 worth of tires on a $50,000 sedan? Dealership offered to change them for Michelins at a $386 additional cost to me, proving that these are inferior tires. They wanted me to put as few miles as possible on the Continentals so that they could "put them back in inventory". I can't do that to someone else. These are the "standard" tires for this LUXURY car. I'll put my own tires on this car, but Cadillac and I may have just parted company.
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 450
    This has become normal for GM. They put cheap tires on everything they build. They are trying to cut costs and it is ridiculous how stingy they are on tires. Wouldn't it be a better business move to just add the amount to MSRP for the cost of good tires? On a car with this price, do you think I am going to worry about a sticker price that is $300 more than the current.
    I just looked at my new Performance DTS. It has Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02 P245/50R18 99H tires.
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    I've heard that the DTS will be redesigned at the end of the decade and will get rear wheel drive. Does any insider know anything about this?

An insider on another message board I read says that the STS and DTS will probably be replaced by one car on the RWD Sigma platform by the end of the decade. There may be one version called the DTS and a 5 inch longer version called the DTS-L. The current STS is not selling well, probably because it's not much larger than the CTS.
    I recently rented a DTS while traveling in California. I loved the Northstar engine, but the bucket seats were extremely uncomfortable to me. After driving for an hour, my right leg and lower back ached.
    Thanks for the info. If I want a car the size of a Malibu I'll buy a Malibu. That's all for Cadillac for me. When the warranty on my certified '03 Deville runs out I'll look at a full size Lexus or even a Town Car. I think that Cadillac has forgotten its major customers - the people who buy Devilles/DTS's. I like big cars that are as economical on the highway as my Deville. I wish Cadillac all the luck in the world. I had hoped for something that looked like a Sixteen but with a V8. Perhaps I'll look around at a used Mercedes S Class. They have a lousy resale value and they still drive and ride like an old Cadillac.
    I just took my Performance DTS on its first out of town trip (about 1.5 hours each way). I must say that I found my bucket seat exceptionally comfortable for me, using the adjustments that work for me. I feel almost as though I'm sitting in my favorite leather living room chair with a pillow at my back.

I like the seat elevated, relatively close to the steering wheel and with a cushiony lumbar support. In warm weather, I'm always running the seat cooler.

After about an hour on the road, sitting in a fixed position, I felt a desire to adjust my back support. I turned on the massager, and liked the refreshing effect. It runs for ten minutes at a time, and I kept turning it on again until I reached my destination.
    Thanks for the info. If I want a car the size of a Malibu I'll buy a Malibu. That's all for Cadillac for me.

The rumor I read on the other message board - from a very reliable insider whom I have followed for about 6 years - said that the RWD DTS may be 198 inches long and the DTS-L may be 203 inches long, so these probably won't be small cars. But these cars are at least 3 or 4 years away.
    I'll look at the DTS-L but if it is a STS with a larger trunk - which is probably will be -it won't compare with my Deville.
    I frankly think that Cadillac is heading in the wrong direction but perhaps the old Deville buyers are dying off and the STS is trying to compete with a full size Lexus which is smaller than the present DTS. Tacking a new rear trunk lid, front grille, and dash on the Deville and calling it a DTS is not very smart. Everybody knows that the DTS is simply a cosmetic update of the 2000 Deville.
  • dotbowelsdotbowels Posts: 43
    Is the 2006 DTS-II comfortable with bench seats and can you set a digital clock on the radio? Thanks
    When the first Avalon came out it was the width of a Camry with five inches or so tacked on the back to give more rear seat legroom. I assume that the stretch STS-based DTS will be the same way. I'm not in the least interested in a sports sedan. I want a full size wide luxury car. I don't care whether it is FWD or RWD. I'm not interested in the number of gears on the automatic transmission. I'm not interested in its horsepower as long as it isn't any less than the car I have. I want it to get 30 mpg on the road like my '03 Deville and ride like a Cadillac. If I wanted a sports sedan I'd buy a BMW.
    I agree wholeheartedly with you, but I don't know what options will be available for those wanting a full size car when the Panthers and GM's G body die.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    I think the current FWD DTS will continue production through the 2009 model year, perhaps longer. The big question is what they do with the DTS next. The DeVille, now called the DTS, has been a prime seller for Cadillac since the 50's. Unless GM increased the production capacity of the sigma platform that the CTS, STS and SRX are based on, there is a limited production capacity for a sigma platform DTS. The sigma platform has some limits on size too, but I do not know what they are. The CTS is selling at the 50 to 60 thousand range, while the SRX and STS are probably going to run about 40 to 50 thousand together, making the total sigma production somewhere in the 100 to 120 thousand. This leaves a 4th sigma platform vehicle with a 40 thousand production limit.
    One option will be a Lincoln Town Car. The Lexus LS430 isn't any bigger than my Impala. Right now you can buy a 2006 Town Car for $29,995 -about a $14,000 discount. They are giving them away and they don't pretend to be anything more than they are -a big, comfortable luxury sedan. The gas mileage isn't as good as the Northstar but I'll seriously consider one in 2008.
    Cadillac is going in the wrong direction as far as I'm concerned but most people disagree with me. I'd get a Certified used Lincoln though because the warranty is better on the Certified one than a new one -same as Cadillac.
    There are a lot of rumors that the Lincoln Town Car may die next year when Ford closes its Wixom, MI plant.
    I'm going to drive a number of cars when the Cadillac warranty runs out in October, 2008. I've never really been a fan of the Town Car because of the gas mileage and the fact that it rode and handled sort of like my '53 Olds 98. The Deville/DTS is lots more modern technically. I probably will discover that the best deal will be a two year old Lexus LS430 with the certified 100k warranty. I may also look at a new top of the line Avalon or a Lexus ES300. All these cars are good highway cruisers and get relatively good town gas mileage. They aren't as wide as my Deville but are probably as comfortable. Resale value is great, too -much better than anything American. I can sell both the '03 Deville and my '06 Impala and cut down on the number of cars I drive. When you start looking at the competition you discover why the Avalon/Lexus are so popular. I understand that the Lincoln has about 75% of the livery/limosine business. Wonder what will take its place? It has been a long time since I've seen a Cadillac limosine at the airport.
  • baltomanbaltoman Posts: 43
    Re: ... looking at the competition you discover why the Avalon/Lexus are so popular.

I would take a hard look at the Edwards forums for the current Avalon - lots of unhappy owners with transmission hesitation. Do a search. Same with the 300 series Lexus. Some claim they have no problems. But even CR called it a problematic car with only average build quality. According to JD Edwards, Toyota has a lower consumer satisfaction rating then GM when dealing with customer complaints.
    Toyota has always handled consumer complaints poorly. They either blame the consumer (the engine sludge problem was always the fault of the owner -guess they finally fessed up)
    or tell you that it is either "normal" or "can't duplicate the problem". I'll most likely get a Certified 2007 or 2008 DTS (Luxury II package) in October, 2008 when my '03 Deville warranty runs out. If Cadillac downsizes the DTS I'll keep the '07/08 until the wheels fall off. What I want to see is something that looks like the Sixteen only with an 8.
    Anybody have any insight on how the 2007 DTS will differ from the 2006?
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    New colors, otherwise nothing much.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,011
    A new comparison topic was created and a few posts moved there.

Cadillac DTS vs. Chrysler 300/300C

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.