Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 Kia Spectra/Cerato

Comments

• murleymurley Posts: 6
    The 5door will be in showrooms in May. It's debut is next week @ the NY Auto show.
  • shakeypshakeyp Posts: 4
    last friday or saturday the 2nd or the 3rd of april the toronto star had a two page review on the 2005 Spectra.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    but at 3000 kilometers, the engine is far from fully broken in.

~alpha
  • lok888lok888 Posts: 1,750
    The Canadian Kia website said this is an all-new 2005 Kia Spectra. And it just said all-new in U.S. site. Many internet sites still have 2004 pricing and specs info. Anyone bought one lately here in US?
  • Hi

I am new o this board and will be looking to replace my 2001 Nissan Sentra. I have looked into Kia before, but have been quite sceptical about long term reliability. Saw the 2005 Spectra at the Otawa car show this year and was somehwat impressed, but had a hard time keeping my eye on it when I saw the 2004 Mazda 3.

How does Kia stack up to big guys? (i.e. toyota, Mazda, Ford, GM, etc?)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Spectra is very competitive with the Corolla, Focus and 3i, with Focus and 3i holding an edge in handling and power (with the Focus' 2.3L engine). Spectra is more car than the Aveo or Cavalier/Sunfire. Corolla has an edge in fuel economy, predicted reliability, and resale value. Pricewise, Spectra should have an advantage, especially by early next year when discounts/rebates should be readily available. Warranty is of course a big plus for Spectra. Worth a look when you are ready to buy. If you look at Spectra, might as well check out the Elantra, its cousin, also.
  • alamid69alamid69 Posts: 59
    I stumbled on a kia spectra web site. Check it out, here's the link.

http://www.kiaspectra.com/site.html
  • Thanks for the info. So will the canadian market be seeing a re-styled Hatch in the near future?
  • coachdnycoachdny Posts: 4
    the ny auto show?? what was the overall reaction to the spectra5 by people?? any sticker price?? any info. will do thanks.
  • yugoboyyugoboy Posts: 161
    Excellent article, please read, they just need to come down in price to make it more competitive imo!!!!

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/05spectra.htm
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    from those prices. They are building better and better cars and they can charge more as their cars get better. Sounds grisly but it's true. Read the reviewer's comments on the link you posted about the 2005 Kia Spectra/Spectra5. He brings up the point about people just expecting Kia to always lower their prices on new models, sometimes as the model is just coming to market. That's not always realistic. Their Spectra/Spectra5 prices are already pretty good IMO. BTW-that is a fine review of Spectra and I've added it to my "favorites" to re-read when getting closer to car-shopping again. I prefer the Spectra sedan and I feel that this one will be the best Spectra ever. For those wanting a hatchback this one also looks very solid. Nice set of pictures in that review as well.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

As long as their Hyundai cousins are selling fully loaded Elantra GTs for $13-14k + T&L, Kia will have to budge on price with the Spectra5. The new Forenza wagon is a sharp little number that will also apply price pressure on the Spectra. It's a tough world out there.
    I'm surprised by this comment:

"The new Forenza wagon is a sharp little number that will also apply price pressure on the Spectra."

Perhaps I am confusing you for someone else, but did you not test drive the Forenza and come away very lukewarm, stating that it really didnt distinguish itself from the competition, or have any advantages?

I cant imagine that the new Spectra isnt worth a marginal premium over the slowish, thirstyish, uglyish, clumsyish Forenza.

~alpha
    I was lukewarm about the Forenza because I thought the stick shift was not crisp and the engine was unrefined. I did not say it had no advantages--please take another look at my review. But most folks don't buy stick shifts, and I'll bet many can live with some growl in the engine if the rest of the package is good. Have you seen the Forenza wagon? I think it is far from ugly, in fact, I think it's the best looking compact wagon out there. Handling is fine. Interior is just as nice as the Spectra's, actually even more luxurious with standard steering-wheel controls, 8 speaker stereo, and rear seat center armrest. It's fast enough for most people I think--the Spectra is quicker but no performance car. And if the price of the Forenza S wagon is anything close to the sedan's, it will mean a well-equipped wagon for under $12k. That is price pressure.
    Thanks, will read your review again.

But I disagree on a few points. Mainly, if nobody's buying the Forenza, regardless of how its priced, theres not much pressure exerted on other automakers. Also, I felt the Forenzas interior not at stylish, or as tactily pleasing as the Spectra (I did not drive either but was in both at NYIAS).

~alpha
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That 5 door will compete with the Scion xA and the Suzuki Aerio, it seems smaller than the Forenza, or is that just my imagination?

-juice
    The Forenza and Spectra are both in the compact class. I've driven both (and the Aerio) and they are roughly the same size inside, with a little more rear leg room in the Forenza. The Forenza wagon looks longer than the sedan (and the Spectra5) however, much like the Focus wagon is longer than the hatch or sedan. The Aerio will compete with the Spectra (exerting some more pricing pressure), but I think the xA will attract different buyers than the Spectra.
    How about Edmunds.com's review of the new 2004 Spectra? Pretty positive, but a little picky, don'tcha think? "Only three colors in the interior." What are they expecting, maybe a little dash of chartreuse or maybe some lime green? Have they looked at the interiors of Spectra's competitors lately? Not much different in color palettes. I suppose if Kia put some wood grain trim in there, they would complain about the tacky wood grain trim. I think the grey interior is pretty drab, but then I think most grey interiors are pretty drab, especially on low-end cars like this. I prefer tan on the Spectra, and most cars.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Posts: 394
    I like the five door model as long as they don't dumb it down for Americans I.e.. by taking off marker lights and putting solid red tail/turn lights on it. The sedan looks to old person for my taste. As for the Suzuki it has been selling. last month sales were up 22%. With Gas prices pushing over $2 in most areas I can't imagine that the small car market will not grow in the U.S.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Posts: 394
    Everyone has their own idea of what a interior should look like. I never buy light colored interiors and for the most part will only buy a car or truck with black or charcoal on the inside. That does limit my options in the compact market as most either have tan or light gray interiors. Most of my friends associate light gray with econo car cheap in a interior.
This discussion has been closed.