Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 Kia Spectra/Cerato

Comments

• a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    I've heard mixed reviews about the Aveo, and it did seem a little cheap when I sat in one at the Philly Auto Show, but it seems to be selling OK for GM. They are on track to sell about 43,000 of them in the US this year, which is a decent showing for a subcompact in this market. Suzuki seems to be doing pretty well with the Forenza and Verona, though I wish GM would use their powertrain expertise to help them out a little in that department. Every review I've read of those two cars has been very positive with the exception of noting that the engines are underpowered and sluggish. If GM would drop the 2.2 Ecotec in the Forenza and the 2.4 (170-horse) Ecotec in the Verona, they would probably be more competetive.

-Andrew L
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    No, I dont think the very small incremental changes in acceleration or fuel economy would boost the Elantras score. I do think braking would improve with ABS, and if the GT was tested, perhaps handling, but why would ride improve?

Certainly, I think attempts at emissions improvements should be commended. As you mention though, the better fuel economy is only on the manual tranmission model.. which highlights one of my main issues with most Korean models.

Concerning the JD Power Vehicle Dependability surveys, I was surprised and disappointed to see that 2001 Hyundai models did not do better (well into the bottom half) on the 3 year old study.

pzev- where have you seen favorable reviews on the Aveo, Forenza, and Verona? IMO, to choose the Aveo sedan over, say... an Accent... is pretty crazy, given that the Accents offers a far superior warranty, as well as standard head protecting side impact airbags. The Verona is nice, a decent design overall, but slow, thirsty, and you need to wait a few months for any kind of side impact protection. The Forenza... reminds me of the ION in the fact that its rear looks similar to me, and that its non-distinguished in a saturated market.

~alpha
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Personally I like the ride of the GT better than the GLS because it is more controlled, more like that of a European car, not as "floaty." But maybe CR would say the GT's ride is "harsher" than the GLS', who knows?

The better fuel economy on the manual Elantra is odd because the automatic Spectra, which I think has the same engine as the Elantra, has better highway mpg than the manual version.

I was surprised by Hyundai's low ranking in the JD Power VDS too because Hyundai did pretty well in CR's dependability rankings for 2001 models, coming in at mid-pack. It makes you wonder how each organization measures reliability. My '01 Elantra is almost four years old and has been at least as reliable as any other vehicle I've owned that long.
    Consumer Reports in terms of long term dependability surveys/studies. I know that in their Initial Quality Study (IQS), JD Power factors in aspects that really arent quality related... its been mentioned before, but I'll use the example of the Hummer H2, which got terrible scores because of its pathetic fuel economy. Hello! It says right on the window sticker that you'll be getting 10 MPG!! Now, Im not sure if JD conducts its Long Term Dependability studies similarly, but if so, that might account for some variation between the CR reliability rating and that of JD Power's.

For me, I'd still consider the Hyundai nameplate based on CR (as you state.. midpack), its just disconcerting to see that there isnt unanimity on the improvement of the brand.

~alpha
    CR's review of the "all new" 2004 Spectra EX is out, and it fared OK but not great. They slotted it below the Elantra GLS, although it was the second-best car in the test group, led by the Mazda3i (now CR's top choice for small cars). Plusses were comfortable ride, quiet interior, fit and finish, and standard side air bags and side curtains. They didn't like its acceleration, handling, fuel economy, and the difficulty finding a car with ABS.

I hope CR has a hatchbacks review in the future that features the Spectra5, Mazda3s, and Elantra GT. I expect the Mazda3s will win that one, but it would be nice to see how the others compare to that more expensive car.
  • pzevpzev Posts: 807
    What is with Hyundai/Kia and trying to find ABS on their cars? I'm willing to look past it though because they do make side air bags standard. Some brands you have to look around to find ABS and side air bags, at least Hyundai/Kia has one of them already. The refreshed Camry now has ABS standard on all their cars like the Accord so standard ABS is slowly filtering down to cheaper cars. I would guess in 5 years most Hyundai/Kia cars will have ABS standard. The new Sonata needs standard ABS.

By the way, anyone see the new Optima spy pics? Doesn't look too bad although a lot of it is covered up. Rear visibility looks way better than what's on the new Elantra spy pics.
    I think the new Spectra gives some hint as to what to expect from Hyundai in the future. The Spectra has standard four-wheel disc brakes and side curtains, even in base form. Hyundai is supposed to be the "upscale" brand for Hyundai/Kia. That means it will need more content to justify the higher price, e.g. standard ABS and power accessories. We'll see in the next year or so when the new Sonata, Accent, and Elantra (and maybe Santa Fe) are all due out.
    Yeah with the Spectra having 4-wheel discs and side curtain airbags standard it's pretty much a given that the Elantra will have it as well. ABS standard is questionable though. I think they may lay off of it for the time being and make it standard on the Sonata. If they can just make a GT version with leather, 4-wheel discs, and side curtains that would be acceptable. All I ask is keep the dreaded sunroof optional!

It'll be interesting to see if they make a GT version, and if so if they put a 2.3 engine in it and put the 2.0 in the basic models. I personally don't care about the bigger engine though. By the way, if Kia is suppose to be sporty where is the sporty version of the Spectra?
    Why do you think Kia is supposed to be "sporty"? I thought Kia was supposed to be the "value" brand for Hyundai/Kia. But the Spectra5 hatchback is due out very soon and is supposed to have a sport suspension, tweaked stick shift, and 16" alloys. I guess that's the "sporty" version of the Spectra. I'd like to see Kia offer a sport version of the sedan too, as Hyundai does with the Elantra GT. I think the Spectra sedan would look sharp in a sport model with bigger wheels and maybe a sportier grille.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I thought that:
    Hyundai: Mainstream
    Kia: Sportier than Hyundai.
    Personally, I dont think thats the current direction of that brand, and I think backy has hit it dead on (as usual)- Kia's mission is value.

If they were aiming for sporty with the new Spectra, apparently they missed their target by a wide margin, given the comments in CR regarding the vehicles sloppy handling, vague steering feel, and marginal acceleration.

Regarding the 4 wheel discs- I think its great that Kia made them standard. BUT, Id happily take rear drums with ABS that was actually available and not just an option on the website.

~alpha
    http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_cod- - - e=carnews&content_code=01006277

"Chung has been presented with a proposal that spells out the identity of products that will be developed off common platforms, company sources say. Kia vehicles will be smaller, sportier and lower-priced, while Hyundai products will be bigger, more luxurious and better equipped."

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_cod- e=carnews&content_code=01614576

"Sporty handling and ride will differentiate Kia vehicles from Hyundai as new models are introduced or redesigned, such as the next-generation Kia Rio and Sportage, he said."

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_cod- e=carnews&content_code=08292775

"Lee said Kia will have sportier vehicles. Hyundai will chase "a more mature customer." Also, Kia will have more SUVs, and Hyundai will have more cars."
    http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/index.php?s=ce3982bb27eb3b43eec- fd61f7b8f2e3e&act=Attach&type=post&id=69570

And as mentioned in an above article..

"More visible differentiation is planned. The Kia Optima, coming in 2006, will ride on a wheelbase slightly shorter than that of its Hyundai Sonata sibling.

Sonata prototypes shown to journalists and Kia's global distributors here last week retain a design that is similar to the current Sonata, while the next Optima has a roofline and pillar arcs similar to the Volkswagen Passat."
    If they think the new Spectra has sporty handling (and it appears they do based on the articles mentioned above), they'd better go back to the drawing board. The new Spectra rides more like a Corolla than a Mazda3, even though Kia's target was specifically not to have it ride like a Corolla. That's not a bad thing, and the Spectra has a nice comfortable ride. But not sporty. Neither is the engine, especially with an automatic transmission. But they have the low-priced (i.e. value) part of the equation down.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    "Sporty" might be a bit of a PR spin. Say Hyundai gets more sound insulation and calls itself more luxurious due to the isolation, then Kia is louder but it's also lighter and you have more road feel therefore it is sportier.

Doesn't necessarily mean much, their pitch.

-juice
  • wanderwander Posts: 10
    Will it be August or early September before the Spectra 5 show up at dealers?
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    I went to this thread to ask the same thing. To me the S5 is by far the best looking Kia out there. Bring it on!!!
  • Was at the local Kia dealership yesterday and spent abou an hour looking at the car and tlaking to the saleswoman. We took the sedan out for a test frive (EX manual model) and was I really impressed! The Spectra provided a really smooth, quiet, comfortable ride. Much better than I expected. Will definately get this one on my shopping list. The one thing I found rather odd was that it gets worse MPG than the equivalent Hyundai Elantra. Not sure why. The gas milage is not as good as the competitors either.

Anyway, I also noticed that they are starting to get the Spectra 5's in stock as well. They did not have one in the show room yet, but there was one out on the lot.
  • I do most of my regualr maintenance myself...and have the following question:

If I decided to not follow the recommended maintenance schedule, will this void my warrenty? When I look at the prices for each of the levels (3 being the highest at over $150) it shocks me.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Isn't the Kia engine equipped with VVT? Does it make more power or torque?

I'm surprised it would lose efficiency, though.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.