Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 Kia Spectra/Cerato

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    better be addressed. That's the make or break for me when ever I car shop.
  • have mentioned. I'm not even going to guess what either account will be, but if I'm forced I'll say this about that. Fuel economy will be better than the current Spectra(which is just a new body plopped on the '97-'01 Sephia chassis and powertrain). Reason being is the new CVVT(Continuously Variable Valve Timing)technology Kia and Hyundai both are now building into select new models. One of the features of CVVT is better fuel economy. Incidentally, I owned a '99 Kia Sephia sedan and I consistently pulled 30mpg figures with my Violet Mist Sephia. It didn't hurt when I bought 70,000 mile Yokohama radials and Konig Diva wheels to pop on it! So you're chatting with a guy who already knows that Kia vehicles can get good gas mileage. Dare I venture to say that the way they're driven plays a part in how good fuel economy comes out per car.
       As for crash safety, the Sephia, if I recall NHTSA figures was not that bad. Improvement could be made but I'll crawl out on an oak tree limb and tell you up front that I wouldn't worry about the new Spectra NOT being safe to drive in. We'll keep our eyes peeled once the new Spectra microsite comes along but I think for it's size(it's not a very large sedan)it's as safe as any Asian car and probably any car from anywhere. The mobility of the car and the driver's ability to keep it safe are part of the safety quotient, anyway, eh? Good project for carspy01 to work on. Ya lurking around, spyman? Hee-hee...just kidding. Chime in if you have time, man. I'll be requesting a brochure, too, and I'll post what I find in here, OK?

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• I like the looks. Almost optima-ish. The best thing of all is the fact it wont look like every other car on the road.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    looks good.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Front is its best angle. Big improvement.

-juice
  • looks in a way like the new Corolla yet more Kia-ish. It will stay in the iluvmysephia1 running for next-rig-ability. Would love to see a picture of the red one like on the Korean Cerato microsite.

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    From those pics (thanks again PZEV!), I like the front, really like those jazzy alloys, but dislike the fat rump. Not too bad overall. I'm sorry if I am behind the learning curve but- is the next Spectra going to be based off the same platform as the next Elantra, and will the engines be shared? Do we know what said engines might be? How about safety equipment? Side airbags/curtains?

~alpha

PS-Thanks very much in advance.
  • as the next-gen Elantra under development right now(sometimes referred to as the 2006 Hyundai Elantra). The new Spectra will go into production in December in South Korea for models that will be exported to the U.S. It will be FWD and will get the CVVT engine(to cut down on emissions and get better gas mileage). I would guess that that engine will be 2.0L 4-cylinder for the U.S. The new Elantra will also get the CVVT engine. There has been mention of Kia putting a Navigation system in the console but whether we'll get that here or not is another question. We will learn a lot more when a microsite becomes available for us to review. If you have time scroll back in this thread and read all of the posts and you'll get a pretty vivid picture of this handsome sedan starting into assembly as I type this in South Korea. The Korean Kia site has a cool microsite(hard to understand the text, but!...it's posted as a link on this thread if you want to check it out)that allows you to turn the car in a circle, view the headlights on and off, open and shut the doors, open and shut the trunk and hood, etc. You can also color the car how you want, etc. Pretty cool site to look at even if it's in the Korean language.

• else we can learn. Check this out:

http://www.kiamotors.com/UVehiclesNewsWeb/KmceVn01_VehiclesNewsRe- - - - ad.aspx?Idx=196

Common rail diesel engines, a first for Kia. Very interesting. Note what it says at the very bottom of this link. We're snooping around early on this one a bit, Kia motorcars do that to people, I know. Specs and photos will be released as we draw closer to the worldwide debut of this new motorcar at the Detroit Motor Show in January 2004.

• is fresher than that last link I just posted by about two months. This statement was just released....I see a clearer and clearer view of this beautiful new C-Segment sedan all the time. Again, more info.(specs and pics)will be released as the Detroit Motor Show in Jan.'04 draws nearer. Here's the latest link:

http://www.kiamotors.com/UVehiclesNewsWeb/KmceVn01_VehiclesNewsRe- - - - ad.aspx?Idx=201

I'll be in Detroit on Jan 6-8 pre-viewing the show as Subaru's guest, so I'll try to get pics and details. It only opens to the public on the 10th.

-juice
  • for news about this car. I would think that a microsite would be appearing soon to the Kia America website, too.

• pzevpzev Posts: 807
    I'm having trouble getting back into the korean website so I can't remember if the 5-door has already been shown or not, but anyway here are some spy pics.

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/42698.jpg

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/42699.jpg

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/42700.jpg

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/42701.jpg
  • spy pics of the Cerato 5-door hatchback remind me vaguely of the design of the new Kia Sportage small SUV under development right now. It's those rear upper corners that do it.

door groove is very TSXie.
    Should compete with the Suzuki Aerio SX.

I prefer the sedan's styling, but a 5 door is always more practical.

-juice
    look good. Unlike the Saturn Relay pics which were a bit disappointing, I have to say.
  • Great pics of the U.S-bound Spectra and 5-door Cerato! The 5-door should compete well with the Matrix, Vibe, Aerio SX, Mazda 3, etc. Bad thing is, will it be too little too late??

-Mazda 3 is new and ever so sporty.
    -05 Aerio will get an interior makeover, and maybe a power boost.
    -Matrix and Vibe are already set with strong sales.

Hopefully, Kia will also introduce a sport model. :)
  • with the front wheel-well treatment and the spoiler in back. It has the "high-back" look to it and with the short wheelbase it has it looks "tall" and sporty. The alloys are looking really good, too.

lancer sportbak too
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Are they really set with strong sales? Im not so sure. I'm a Toyo fan, but the twins are underpowered with 1.8L/auto combination. The higher performance 1.8L VVTLi engine isnt very practical, with its incredibly narrow band of extra power over the base model in the upper 6000s.

In fact, Id like to see the new Kia kick the Matrix's you know what. Toyota messed up, IMO.

~alpha
  • Get ready everyone! The 05 Kia Spectra will be unveiled soon!
    I wouldn't call Matrix/Vibe sales exactly wonderful. The Toyota dealer has quite a few Matrix wagons in stock and ready to go while the Pontiac dealer keeps a large selection of Vibes. Then again, the Pontiac dealer has even more Sunfires and Grand Ams.
  • about this new offering from Kia. Kia held a travelling sales show to sell Cerato's in their homeland in their attempts to waken slow domestic sales. Early sales seem good but I'll have to check some sources to see if they met Kia Motors expectations for the South Korean market. Really looking forward to the Detroit Motor Show in Jan.2004 and seeing this new 4-door Kia Spectra!

• I'm wondering if the 05 Spectra's 140HP will be enough for this class. Everyone seems to be beefing up their compacts. The Suzuki Aerio makes 155HP, the Corolla XRS makes 170HP, the upcoming Focus ST will have more than 150HP, the Lancer has 160HP, etc. Maybe Kia will eventually put more displacement!
    ever thought of making a performance version of the Spectra/Cerato for less $$$$ than what Ford charges for the SVT versions of the Focus?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I don't think the Spectra's hp is behind at all. You are trying to compare the regular Spectra to the most expensive performance versions of its competitors (except the Aerio). Compare it to the regular versions of those cars and it's near the front of the pack: 140 compared to 115 in Civic, 130 in Corolla, 136 in Focus, and 120 in Lancer. That being said, I hope Kia and Hyundai make a statement by offering a higher powered version to compete with the performance versions.
    This is something that Hyundai or Kia should to. The Tiburon is fine and all, but it's more of a small GT, if you will, not a sports car.

Remember the HCD1 concept? It was supposed to be a 150hp roadster for $15k, but it never materialized.

If they could do one today, for even $25k, it would bring people in to the showrooms.

-juice
    will be on par with the Cobalt's Ecotec making 140 horsepower in base form.
This discussion has been closed.