Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Verona

libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
Wow! I'm so happy Suzuki finally has a mid-size sedan. I hope it has lots of pretty wood trim inside and a great value.

Comments

• a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    I heard they started production already, but we probably won't actually see them on the lots until late August or early September. Hopefully they have made an effort to get the quality up to par rather than rushing the launch. While I don't think Daewoos are as poor as some people say, their quality is not exactly proven yet.

I'm also interested to see how the straight-six engine is received. Most (all?) other cars in that class have either I4s or V6s.

-Andrew L
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I dont think its the engine configuration that matters so much as the fact that its a 2.5L V6 that will probably not achieve the fuel economy ratings of Accord/Camry/Galant/6/Altima, while simulatneously offering less max hp and similar torque as those 4s. It will probably serve well, but offer no competitive advantages.

~alpha
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    and low price and lots of features. I for one couldn't care less about horsepower. Gas mileage is important to me but just so it isn't outrageously low, I'm fine with it.
    as the Camry/Accord, certainly not better looking than the Altima/6, and just like the Aerio (and every other unexceptional Suzuki product) wont make a dent in this market.

Maybe over the road it will be different. On paper, it seems like a loser to me.

~alpha
    If you think that, why are you wasting your time on this board? I LOVE the styling; it's way better than Accord/Camry/Century/Malibu/Legacy and equal to Altima/6/Taurus/Grand Prix/Passat/Stratus. It has a luxurious interior with nice-looking wood trim and leather all over.
  • bluewindsbluewinds Posts: 100
    Suzuki Verona(aka Daewoo Manus L6 2.5)

For me, it is pretty nice looking car and it has Real Italian design and German Engineering. :)

The inlie 6 Engine is pretty quiet & smooth. However, it doesn't have impressive power like Altima 3.5 but just enough one.
    FYI: I did state "maybe over the road it will be different" BUT since these boards are here for people to discuss products and express opinions, I stated that, on paper, to me, the Suzuki Verona seems like a loser.

bluewinds- "The inlie 6 Engine is pretty quiet & smooth. However, it doesn't have impressive power like Altima 3.5 but just enough one."

you've driven the Verona?

~alpha
  • zilamaniazilamania Posts: 4
    The entry-level Verona S is $16,999. The mid-level LX is $18,299, and the top-of-the-line EX with power leather seat is $19,999. These prices include a $500 destination cost.
    Representatives from Suzuki and GM Daewoo Auto & Technology (GMDAT) officially certify that the new 2004 Suzuki Verona midsize sedan has passed the fifth and final stage of its progressive quality assurance process, designed to ensure the new model meets the high quality standards established by Suzuki for the North American market.
        Following their successful completion of the quality assurance process at GMDAT headquarters in Incheon, Korea, the first new Verona vehicles began their shipment to the U.S. to arrive in Suzuki showrooms by late August 2004.
        "Our standards aim to place Suzuki vehicles among the top three Japanese manufacturers in vehicle quality," explained Rick Suzuki, president of American Suzuki Motor Corp. (ASMC) of Brea, Calif. "The Verona not only meets but exceeds these quality standards."
        The first product from Suzuki's investment in GMDAT and the largest car ever sold by Suzuki, the Verona combines Italian styling; a roomy interior; and a standard 2.5-liter, 24-valve DOHC in-line six-cylinder engine with such standard features as fully adaptive automatic transmission, speed-sensitive power steering, air conditioning, and four-wheel disc brakes.
        ASMC used the occasion of the Verona's first shipment to the U.S. to announce an MSRP starting at just $16,499 without the $500 destination charge-- giving the new car a distinct value advantage over the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.
        The 2004 Suzuki Verona is the first of nine new models to be launched by Suzuki as the cornerstone of its plan to triple 2002 U.S. auto sales by 2007.

Editor Note: Photos of the Suzuki Verona quality audit are available at www.media.suzuki.com
    Well now, thats a different story. Well equipped a long warranty, allegedly smooth powerplant.

A prettier picture has been painted.
    What about quality control?

~alpha
    http://media.suzuki.com/auto/ has great info about the Forenza. I saw this a few months ago and noticed there was no link to it here.
    There is a separate Forenza board. (sounds a lot like the Olds Firenza to me.)

~alpha
    I am VERY active in that board too. I meant Verona. I've never heard of the Firenza. When was that made and what was it?
    Olds Firenza was a 1980s J-Car variant (like the Cavalier, Sunbird, etc). There might have been previous models by that name, but the J-Car is the only one I'm familiar with.

-Andrew L
  • bluewindsbluewinds Posts: 100
    Yep, I have driven it in Korea. :)
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    How hard will it be to get parts for this car? Will Daewoo be as slow to provide parts to Suzuki dealers as it has been to Daewoo dealers since the bankruptcy?

Meade
    mdaffron-

As I understand it, the bottleneck in Daewoo parts distribution is Daewoo Motor America, not the factories in Korea. Since Suzuki will presumably be distributing the parts in North America, that should take care of that problem.

-Andrew L
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    $19,999 for a car with an I6 and leather isn't bad. An Accord 4 cylinder starts at $20,000. (Just One dollar more!) Quality should be fine. It's got that killer warranty, remember?
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956