Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    like a Mercury Sable?! You mean that it handles even worse than a Camry????!!!!
  • You cannot have an ultra smooth ride and sports car handling in a mid-low priced sedan. You can have handling that leans towards one or the other, but not both.

Back to what the experts say about the Sable,Edmunds; "The Sable is a respectable performer when it comes to ride, handling... The suspension is compliant, making for a comfortable ride and easy long-distance drives."

One thing I can tell you for sure, I would rather be in a car designed to be a road cruiser on long trips rather than a Camry any day. There is such a thing as the comfort factor.
    I haven't driven a Sable lately. I've riden in the Taurus, and the ride was pretty smooth. The Camry, I've been in and it drives somewhere between Sport and Comfort, where I don't want it. I want something either more towards Sport (Accord, Passat) or something more towards Comfort. (Sonata, Optima, Verona, Sable).
  • Hey, guys, i seen one of these cars today, and i was truly impressed. I'm interested in getting one, I currently drive a 98 Malibu, but I'm interested in this car.

The only 04 car that I've been able to compare the Verona with in comparison to price were Corollas, Civics, and Centres by Nissen. This Car is obviously the better buy. I went and looked at a Camry, and a Hyndai Sonata. It kinda seems like a no brainer when comparing them. The verona offers so much more, and a price in a completely different category. Anyway, the car is awesome, and if they can advertise it right, it will be a true knock-out.
    rebadged Gen 2 Daewoo Leganza. The old one wasn't great in crash testing; we'll see what happens to this one with the IIHS.
  • I saw some at the Suzuki dealer not far from where i live yesterday. I tend not to pay much attention to Suzuki, so I had no idea... It's a nice looking car, but I don't like the giant "S" in the middle of the grille. So let me get this straight; this is a Daewoo, built in South Korea and rebadged as a Suzuki? Does this car have the Australian made Holden/GM engine in it like the Leganza?
    yes, it is a rebadged gen 2 Leganza, now called the Daewoo Magnus. I don't know about the engine.
    at the 2002 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. They had a Rezzo too. All ready to launch until bam! two months later they're out of business. Also, daewoo was also going to bring the Korando mini-ute' for 2001. Never made it here either. Daewoo had three cars ready to save it self and then GM buys it and shuts it down. Right when we were getting to the Rezzo, ready for a July launch. (The Rezzo was a compact 5-seat hatch not unlike the upcoming Mazda 3)
    was a pretty nice car. Small crowd around it when I got to the Daewoo display too.
  • The I6 has a 77mm bore and a 95mm stroke (from memory, but close). This means that compared to say a Honda big bore/short stroke engine, Suzuki can crowd 6 cylinders in very little more space than a 4. Also, these dimensions will give a much flatter torque curve adding to smoothness.

The real uniqueness about this engine is that it appears to be taking from its motorcycle technology by using oil as a significant part of engine cooling. The engine holds 7.5 quarts of oil and the cooling system is 8.5 quarts. I would bet that the horsepower numbers for this engine will increase >20% over the next few years.
  • ricschricsch Posts: 540
    I was surprised to see only a rating of 155 hp in the Verona 6 whereas the competion's 4 cyl. engines have that or more! I can only imagine in a year or so they will boost the hp.

Has anyone purchased a Verona or did some dealing to see what kind of discounting is being done on these cars, as from what I've seen they'll only take off $500 from list price?

Will be interesting to see how these cars are received here in the states.
    looks very elegant with the darker colors- Garnet Red, Dark Blue, and Black. the Silver looks nice too. The Autumn Bronze looks pretty ugly. But still- for $19,999 you get a power sunroof, Automatic Climate Control, leather. A similar Accord EX-L 4Cylinder costs $2500 more!
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,139
    Looks like the reviewer compared the rear legroom measurements of the Accord Coupe instead of the Accord Sedan.
  • ricschricsch Posts: 540
    Is the in-line 6 made by Suzuki? My father, who is interested in the Verona said the salesman told him it was made by another auto manufacturer for them. Any info??
    Daewoo. But they never offered an inline 6 in the Leganza, it was a 2.2 4 cylinder in the Leganza. So, who knows? GM doesn't make an inline 6 that is 2.5 liters, so ask a Suzuki representative.
  • avemanaveman Posts: 122
    The first drive review of the Verona at edmunds seems very good.The only slight disappointment was comment about lack of midrange passing power.This makes another car with ties to GM, the other being the Malibu that has small engines mated 4 speed auto transmissions that get questiionable reviews. It is more understandable that the Verona doesn't offer a manual trans since it is imported and many dealers will not order cars with a manual transmission. But if they want to play no choice and deny a manual trans, they can at least use an engine and transmission package that doesn't come with exceptions to good performance. Some how I don't think the european market would be denied a flexable or manual transmission. I am sure the car drives alright but why create a hole in the performance that your competition could drive thru.
    I don't care much. As long as I can get to the office on time and save my wallet, I'm fine.
  • I have been a bit of a cheerleader for Daewoo during their troubled last few years, and even I was surprised by how positive that Edmunds review is. They can be a little flaky sometimes, so I'll wait for some more sources, but that sure seems very promising for the car.

-Andrew L
    Seems like it'll be a good CamCord alternative.
    tThe review at autoweek was positive as well.I expect that the Verona may do well for suzuki. I just feel teased that the new cars arriving on the midsize scene,seem so well built and would be great drives if a manual trans were availible.Especiallly, since Hundai/Kia offer a manual transmission in their midsize Sonata/Optima.If the cars didn't seem so nice,I would not care so much that a manual shift is not available.I guess as is the case with the new Malibu, having folks drive around shifting gears would too much fun ta allow in this size car for the money.You have to go down in size and sophistication, or up in price.I just figured it out,it's me not them. I forgot ths is the age of the cell phone. Who has time to be shifting gears when you can be talking your mouth off.
    Or,
    who has time to shift when their kid needs to rush to Soccer?
  • I checked out the new Verona today.

Quite nice! Interior plastics and leather are good. Style inside and out very nice for under 20g.

This thing is a definite Sonata/Optima killer. Also compares very well at much less $$$$ to Camcords and domestics.

Also, a right size car.

All they missed was getting the hp up. 155 not enough. fix this Suzuki.

Host, perhaps this topic ought to be moved over to the Sedans boards?
  • I drove several sedans yesterday again. By far the Toyota, Nissan, and Mazda V6 are more powerful engines than the I6 in the Verona, BUT to get a similar equipped car you have to pay between $6000 and $11000 MORE. To compare closest priced vehicles to the $20.5K Verona, we have the V6 Sonata $21,459, I4 Altima $26,171, I4 Camry $25,310, I4 Accord $24,800. NONE of the 4 cylinder engines came close to the smooth transfer of power to the wheels and were much slower off the line to the I6 in the Verona.

Here is the short list of what I test drove just yesterday:
    1. Verona $20.5K , I6 155HP at 5600RPM with 171FtLbs Torque at 4000rpm.
    2. Accord EX Leather $24,800 (no sunroof), I4 160HP at 5500rpm with 161 FtLbs torque at 4500RPM.
    3. Camry 2.4L Top of the line with the I4, $25,310, 157HP at 5600RPM with 162 FtLbs Torque at 4000RPM.

By far the quietist and smoothest car was the Verona. Interior materials and fit and finish were comparable between all three. The extreme smoothness of the power in the Verona made it seem like it was less powerful, but actual acceleration times were better. It simply did not have much engine noise or vibration at all under hard acceleration. Upon initial impression due to the noise of the 4 cylinder in the Accord it seemed like it had more power, but in reality the Verona was much quicker off the line in normal driving.

The Verona is priced like a 4 Cylinder comparable car, but has better low end power like a 6 cylinder engine. If the only gripe is the lack of passing power when compared with more expensive V6 engines, no big deal. Try getting the same passing power out of one of the similarily priced I4 engines.

I think the car hits the mark on filling in a GAP left by all the other manufactures, a very smooth, quiet, and easy to drive sedan. The closest comparison in quiet ride is something like the Buick LeSabre, with handling close to the Mercury Sable. Just an all around smooth quiet sedan for $20.5K and under.
    Did the Verona you test drove have an EPA MPG rating on the sticker?
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    The Verona is an attractive alternative to 4 cylinder Camrys and Accords, no question about that. The main strikes against it would be gas mileage (20city/28hwy), lack of side air bags, and unknown reliability and depreciation.
  • Seems to be comparable to fuel economy on other 6 cylinders for city and highway. Does not require premium or high octane fuel at all, standard 87 octane is all it needs.

As to depreciation, if you are already starting out $4,000 ahead and keep the car 7 years and 100K miles, you are probably still going to be ahead versus the more expensive cars that only have a 3/36 warranty, odds are pretty good you will have one $500 out of warranty repair, or you will have the timing belt cost on many of the 4 bangers.

Side Air-bags? I did not see many of the other brand cars on the lots with them installed. Seems not to be a very popular option yet. Possibly they will become standard (on all models) over the next couple of years, if people are willing to pay the cost. We will see how the different crash test ratings come out. I do know that since this vehicle gets sold in Korea that it has to meet certain vehicle-pedestrian crash worthiness, which means the very front end has pedestrian absorption zones to minimize the injury to a pedestrian in a low speed impact. Honda has a big research center in Japan for the same problem as Japan has a lot of low speed vehicle versus pedestrian accidents.
    The lack of side airbags with head protection and unknown reliability are the biggest downsides I see here. 2004 Accord I4 doesn't have a timing belt.
    Yes launchung a car for 2004 without side airbags is not good.Since the report came out that side airbags make a big difference in degree of injury, the demand for side airbags should increase.I do believe it is rare to find some cars on lots with side airbags. This may give the domestics like Malibu an edge, in that you can order them. Hopefully, the Verona was designed with side airbags in mind and they can add that feature.
  • evergreenevergreen Posts: 208
    I have checked a few websites and none list the invoice. A local dealer told me he would sell me one at invoice, or $18,999 which includes $500 transportation. So, I can save $1000 off MSRP and buy at invoice. I think it is a bunch of BS, though, because invoice should be around $2000 below MSRP on a $20k vehicle.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    The invoice for the base EX listed on kbb.com is $18,633.96 which includes the $500 destination charge.