Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• rkw2rkw2 Posts: 66
    The Verona is a new entry into a very competitive market as there are many cars in the moderate priced family sedan market segment. Many potential buyers don't have the time or interest to test drive every car. They will read the online and/or magazine comparisons and test drive the few that consistently get the better reviews. The critisms in these reviews about teh Verona are consistent. Many of these buyers will not even test drive the Verona for these reasons. In addition Suzuki does not have much brand recognition and is competing against the Camry and Accord which have their faults. To be successful, GM/Suzuki should have introduced a vehicle that does not get the red flags on the comparisons regarding performance, fuel economy and safety. (THese features are often shown on comparative charts, so one need not even have to read the full article.) They should have done their homework and made sure that the Verona competed well from the get-go. I will test drive the Verona as I enjoy testing different vehicles and I also like to buy cars that are new to the market place. I've had a Camry, Subaru Legacy and Forester, and Olds Alero in the first production year.
  • mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    if a buyer does not take the time to test drive and/or research, shame on him/her. There is a level of responsibility here that unfortuantely some buyers shirk then they buy a vehicle, house, PC or whatever and say "Gosh, I didn't know, realize, imagine this would/wouldn't.................(fill in the blank).
  • Let us know what you think after you kick the tires and take a test drive.
  • rasuprasup Posts: 136
    Look at many of the reviews by "autobytel","caranddriver","msn-auto" the paper " washington post" etc..and you will find "consistent" praise for the finer points of Verona. Even some of the sites mentioned point out the positives.If you have the money to spend..buy the best by all means. For one with a budget the Veronas good points far outweigh the negatives.Many of us did test drive other hi rated cars prior to selecting the Verona. Only a test drive gives you a better perspective. And Oh Yes..do go with an open mind!!!
    Good Luck.
  • lil302000lil302000 Posts: 149
    I can't imagine buying any car without driving it. Whatever the price is it's far to much money to just stake your bet on a column by someone you don't know.
  • Try before buy is good advice. I did that and bought a new Verona EX. I agree with other owners who find that Verona offers an appealing overall package. The outstanding fit and finish on this car continues to impress me. The fuel economy remains an important issue for Suzuki product developers to improve on future models. I am pleased overall with the car but cannot ignore the growing evidence that fuel economy is not in balance with performance.
  • saber86saber86 Posts: 128
    I have to agree with those who say test drive and buy it or don't. Test drive the vehicle like how you would drive it everyday and if it meets your needs than buy it. If not, buy something else.
    I agree this car has to be test driven. If you find the power not to your needs or wants then pass. When I drove it I found it to be a very nice car for the money so I bought it.
  • tekrektekrek Posts: 18
    Hi everyone. Glad to see the battle rages over the performance and value of the Suzuki Verona. Suzuki would be in a lot of trouble if there was no attention given their latest offering. Perhaps this is the intention of Suzuki/GMDAT, expose the obvious weaknesses early in the initial production run then upgrade in an orderly manner. In my opinion GMDAT certainly has the comfort and value segments covered. Now they need only address drivetrain efficiencies and consistently upgrade the the Verona’s strengths. This sounds easy but it is a simplistic proposition just as judging a vehicle by it’s 0 to 60 times or gas mileage numbers.
    I just noticed my Verona EX odometer hit 1984 today. Lots of miles for a month of ownership. I have to admit the Verona has had no negatives other than it’s not paying my sales tax, registration and insurance fees. I do hope GMDAT corrects this. If not for me then for other Verona buyers. If this isn’t fixed I may never purchase another vehicle produced in whole or part by GM. Fancy 0 to 60 times aside GM’s overlooking these very glaring mistakes is unforgivable. I don’t care if I got a $3000.00 reduction in MSRP and that my Insurance is only $50.00 a month.
    Regarding performance(A private word to current Verona owners), how about that acceleration rush from 3 to 4 grand on the tachometer? I wasn’t expecting that! It even clobbers you when you aren't making an “emergency” on ramp access to the highway. What a pleasure.
    Gas mileage is a strong 23-24 MPG depending on the amount I use heavy electric options as heated seats, rear window with mirror defrosters and climate control fan on its highest setting. Without the extra drain on the alternator I would get higher MPG.
    After one month I have nothing but high praise for my Verona. I’ll keep you posted.
    Have you noticed that the slight hesitation in the acceleration no longer exist after you put a few miles on the car? Mine had a slight hesitation when it was new but this stopped at about a thousand miles. The torque that you feel is due to the wide curve that the Verona has. That is why I feel that a change in gearing will put this car towards the front of it's class.
  • I don't drive a Verona, but maybe the slight hesitation stopped because you smoothed out the gearing. Don't new cars have to be driven easily as opposed to one with 2K on it?
  • I think you are correct, that coupled with the adaptive transmission maybe. Anyway no signs of it now.
  • Oh yea! I forgot about the adaptive transmission. It probably DID learn your driving patterns. Pretty cool!
    I agree with lil302000,rctennis and tekrek.My car seems to be getting smoother as the miles go by. I have 800 miles trouble free driving. The brakes of the Verona are excellent. Anyone know if the Verona is being crash tested?.
  • You could always do your own Verona testing... ;)
  • I have not seen any crash test data yet. It seems that at about a thousand miles the drive train comes into it's full potential with this car. Anyway 7,500 miles and no problems.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    "Television's First Automotive Magazine", had a short spot on the IIHS having tested a slew of midsizers in their new dynamic side impact test. I dont know when the results will be available though, and the spot on MW didnt go into any real detail. Not surprisingly, the midsizers w/o side impact restraints fared poorly, some worse than others.

~alpha
    Nice Joke!. I prefer otherwise!!!
  • Hello everyone..2334 miles on my verona(1 and a half months old), and no complaints. Just came back from a road trip for work to Rhode island, Boston, and New Hampshire, and the car was very smooth. Gas mileage is getting better. I averaged 24mpg on the trip, and the car rode very well.
    Still looking for parts availability(brakepads etc). All in all i know i made the right choice in choosing a verona over the malibu
  • Just was looking at the chevy malibu forum, and 1 post said that the side impact test for the verona,came in very poor (certain death)...Any one have any info on this
    Thanks