Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• rasuprasup Posts: 136
    It looks like something else is going on?. With OBD-2 scanners, the defect could be easily isolated. I presume some further investigations are necessary. I wish you good luck- Pizard.
    My Verona is running fine. The Car rides great after 6400 miles. No hesitation or hiccups. Its smooth running so far. Does anyone know of a good place to fit a spoiler on to the Verona?.
  • pizardpizard Posts: 45
    I have a spoiler on my Verona that was on it when I bought it, it sits right on the back of the trunk.
  • I have a hunch the next (2006) Suzuki Verona will have a 5 speed automatic (without adaptive trans) and a little more horse power. I just think that so many of the reviews say the same negative comments on engine/trans despite how well the car drives that Suzuki (Daewoo/GM) is going to listen. Plus I think the Suzuki Verona sales have been less than expected. The Forenza, on the other hand, is doing really well. We'll see.
  • russm3russm3 Posts: 44
    I was at the store the other day and while my wife was shopping I picked up a car buyers guide and they gave the verona a good review. As far as speed take one on the highway and check it out enough for me.
  • Has anyone experienced poor MPG in town/city and lot better MPG on the HWY? I get poor mileage in the city - about 16 or less and better than 25 on the HWY. Talked to Pitstop via e mail and was requested to get the computer checked out for the fuel trims. One other thing is a vibration through the steering wheel between 70 - 80 MPH and steady on the accelerator and when I let off the accelerator and coast the vibration goes away.

I have an appointment on the 23rd to get it checked out.
  • Nothing was found wrong with the fuel trims in

the computer. The vibration problem was the tire balance on the front. I would not have thought that with the symptons, but the dealer balanced them and the vibrations are gone. I had them rotated and balanced at another place about 2 months ago. Needless to say, won't go there and do that again. ( no weights were thrown from the rims.) Now have about 6500 miles on the Verona and except for the city mpg I still enjoy and like the car.
  • It's hard to find someone who actually knows how to balance a tire. There are a lot of morons who work in the tire industry, maybe you can find a good one and stick with him. I always get the same person to balance my tires. He looks a little rough, but he knows his business. Your Verona should ride smooth, smooth, smooth. Good Luck.
  • I too have my district managers number in my speed dial. The problem I had was beyond the Flash recall. I had to have the entire head replaced. Apparently, there was a very tiny flaw in the machining process and small drops of oil were getting into the combustion chamber. Right now it runs perfect.

Regarding tires and vibration. I took mine to a tire specialty shop and had a full rotate and balance. This will correct the roughest of riding cars. The Hankook tires on mine need to be watched for pressure when the temps drop below 40. I live in Georgia and this has happened twice and both times I needed to check the pressure.

I agree, I hate the climate control. I override mine whenever possible. In your example set it to 72 let it run with the higher fan, make sure your ac indicator is off.

Overall this is a great car. I did not choose it, my former employer required I buy one as a company car. Well the job is gone and I still have the car. Since I added SIrius and Subwoofer system. It is my Poor mans Infiniti.
  • I amgoing nuts with this car. I love this car so much as far as looks and style. But this engine and the EMC is killing me. My Suzuki Rep ignors any calls and now I am left with claiming the Lemon Law to be heard. The ECM has been replaced twice and re-programed three or four times. Now the engine taps so loud, people look at me when I pass them. (Not fun) I drive a great looking car the sounds like a cheap 4 cyl. desiel. I just with Suzuki would admit thsi is a big problem and do something to help. Yes....and my trans does slip and buck also in mostly 1st to 2nd and 4th. Anyone have a dircect number to any big shots in Suzuki. Let me know.........help
  • I have 15,000 miles now. The car has been reliable. There are some things prospective buyers should know. The car is much noisier over rough gravel roads than the 2004 Toyota Camry. The Camry rides better and has much higher seats in front. I have not compared back seats. The Verona engine is noisier at any RPM in comparison to the 4-cylinder Camry. Perhaps the greatest difference between the two cars is the very much better Toyota transmission. It keeps the engine at lower RPM than the Verona and shifts better.

I have not compared power directly, but the Verona has considerably more power at 15,000 than it did at 2000. I has more than enough for the roads that I drive on. Fuel economy is not an issue for us but I think that it is lower than some competing cars.
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Posts: 487
    A phone number is not going to help. If you need to pursue a lemon law claim, you need to follow the rules set in your state. Most likely all you need to do is send a certified letter to the dealer, Suzuki motors (there will be an address in the back of the owners manual, possibly your State's attorney general (for the record of the complaint). Virtually all US State's have a .gov web site that explains what forms or letters are required and it is usually very easy to do.

Some States require arbitration first (that is usually only binding on the manufacture) before pursuing a full buyback. In any case, do not hire a laywer (unless your State's law requires it) until they have denied (or failed to respond) the buyback if the car clearly falls under your State's lemon laws. If you hire a lawyer now, and they agree to a buyback on the first letter, you probably will not be able to claim the attorney's fees (most State's laws do not include those fees unless the manufacture fails to comply with the lemon law claim).
  • Went looking for a new car this week and I wanted to share my experience. I looked for a Suzuki dealer on southside of Indy, and without naming names (you can figure out which one though, think "lion"), we had such a laughably bad experience that we didn't even give it any consideration.

The dealership had four (count 'em), FOUR Verona's. Three were used. The one that was new was the low end trim, and all were rusting around the brakes and onto the rims already. The salesman proceeded to inform us that no other Verona's were available except for one at the Indy Auto Show and that it was not possible to order a new one because the lead time was 6 months, or more! In fact he said that they were basically told not to order new ones.

The dealership was pretty run down, deserted (noone else was there looking at cars) and was staffed by only two people at the time.

I gotta ask, does Suzuki really want to sell these things? We took one on a test drive and might have bought one (they all had stickers on them saying 85% of invoice) but our experience lead us to believe buying one would have been a bad, bad decision. If getting one of these cars is this hard, how hard would getting parts be? :) Did any of you experience such bleak conditions when you looked at it? I would think that when wanting to compete with the Sonata, Optima, Accord, etc. that Suzuki would want to present itself a bit better, but this was frankly an embarassment to Suzuki as well as the dealership franchise in question.
  • mm9351mm9351 Posts: 72
    Ender, my records show that Suzuki has over 450 dealers nationwide, with many more to come. Don't limit your search to one dealer. Incidentally, I attended the national dealer meeting in Las Vegas in 2004, and new dealerships have just opened in ID, WI, TX, OR, CA, and IL. Also, there are five (5) dealers in the local Indy area; why not visit another showroom if you were unhappy with the one you visited? BTW, You were told incorrect information; the dealership CAN order new Veronas or swap one with another local dealer. Parts for these cars are NOT a problem, if not stocked it can usually be obtained within one business day. Also, don't concern yourself with rust on the brake rotors, if you don't use your car a few days and in wet weather, ALL brake rotors will develop surface rust, which is removed quickly the first time you drive and apply the brakes. I think the dealer was trying to unload the cars he had in stock,that's why you saw the 85% of invoice pricing.
  • My car was also knocking very loudly at speeds of 60-80 mph. I found out that Suzuki told the dealers, through a TSB to put 10w-40 oil in the engine which thins out after the car gets hot and drains back to the oil pan. I did my own oil change with the suzuki oil filter(could not find it at the store, bought it at dealer for 6.50)and put the 5w-30 oil in the engine, and now it does not knock because the 5w-30 is thin when cold and thickens up after the car gets hot so it cannot drain like the 10w-40 can. I have tested this 5 times on the highway so far with no diesel engine sound. Sometimes I think that these car Makers don't no what the heck they are talking about!!! Hope this help those with the same problem.
  • evergreenevergreen Posts: 208
    I have over 16K on my Verona EX. The minor hickups at start up I experienced for a few months are now gone, even though it is a lot colder now than when I had the hickups. I haven't bothered to have the ECM changed/upgraded and since everything is running beatutifully I hesitate to mess with something that isn't broken. My mileage has dropped a little in the colder weather but that is normal. Is there any good reason to mess with the ECM if everything is running well?

Have any of you Verona owners driven the new Buick LaCrosse? Buick says it is aimed at the Lexus ES 330 but others say it should be compared with the Camry and Accord, like the Verona. The 240 hp model sounds nice but it doesn't even have some of the features the Verona has which costs 10K less. Any opinions?
  • When I went by the dealer today to get an oil filter for my Verona, the dealer said, Didn't you know? Suzuki came in November and picked up all their cars and parts. We don't sell them any longer. The dealer was in Chattanooga and now I will have to drive about 85 miles to Marietta, GA to have my service work done! Not too happy about this one..................
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    Thats truly too bad. I had a Suzuki Aerio. It was a great little car before my teenage son totaled it. I was thinking about buying a Verona, but with all the problems people are having (and with a realitvily few cars sold)I am glad I didn't. I don't mean to be negative, but the jury is still out on the Verona, Suzuki isn't selling very many of these cars. It's a shame too because I believe they are a GREAT LOOKING car. They need to get those bugs out. A used Accord is a better buy. As far as the warranty is concern, it's been said the best warranty is the one you do not have to use! I tend to believe that. It's inconvenient to service your car, no matter who is paying for it!
  • Just bought a new Verona EX in Ohio on 1/3/05. Was trying to buy a decent used car, but when offered a brand new '04 at 25% off sticker, I couldn't turn it down. Sticker at 20,700, down to 15500 out the door. This is a year end special sale, and ended on the 3rd. The car is fully loaded and rides smooth and quiet. There is more than enough power for most everyday driving situations, and I love those leather heated seats! The transmission is still trying to find it's "happy place", but that doesn't surprise me, as the car has only 200 miles on it. I couldn't buy a 2001 Avalon with 50k miles for the same money, although I certainly tried.

The wife loves it too, even managed to pry her out of her beloved Highlander Limited. This car is loaded with features, and I enjoy the fact that Suzuki took a slightly different direction with the engine. Even though the horsepower number is down compared to the competition, there seems to be plenty of torque, and that is what moves you down the road. I'm sure that the Camry and Accord are measurably better cars, but I can't buy this much Camry or Accord for 15k in a base model, forget about heated leather, and a sunroof.

I suspect that the inline 6 engine, with timing chain will be an extremely long-lived motor, that will get stronger with age and break-in. The dealership seems to be very anxious to be accomodating, but then again, they are not exactly swamped with customers. Thsnks to all the posters with opinions, good and bad, for helping me form my opinion besides the "quick test drive" For once I feel like I didn't buy a pig in a poke. I will post with more news when it comes up.
  • russm3russm3 Posts: 44
    14000 and running fine glad I have my ex I figgard that the hold thing on the tranny makes it a stick and thats good in the snow. Just getting oil changes no more shift problems and no more computer problems and running like a champ.hope you enjoy you veronas too.
  • rasuprasup Posts: 136
    Hi,

Whats going on in 2005?. It seems all are either too busy or sleeping?. Suzuki seems to have put the Verona in the shade...see no ad's on TV. I wonder if they are overhauling the Car?.

Hey...keep the posts going.
  • zodiaczodiac Posts: 9
    Rasup. Have been wondering the same thing with the Chevy Epica in Canada no sales adds or any information about the car.?
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Posts: 210
    In Canada, the smaller Chevys and Suzuki's are doing well. The Aveo/Swift is a big hit. You can see them everywhere now. So is the Chevy Optra/Optra5 (Sorry no Forenza or Reno in Canada). However the Epica and Verona are not doing that well. There are more Epica's being sold simply because of the large chevy dealer network. But still I believe most people are opting out of after they test drive the car and notice the weird shifts of the transmission. GM in an effort to save money slapped an ill-matched transmission onto a state of the art Daewoo engine. That engine was designed to be used with a ZF or Aisin/Warner. The original Daewoo Magnus which was a 2000 model year car drove nicer than the current version Epica even though it had a 4 Cyl engine, simply because it had a better transmission. GM took a wonderful car and messed it up. I bet the versions that are sold in Europe are still made to Daewoo specs (search for the Daewoo Evanda in Europe).
  • nace818nace818 Posts: 140
    Thank Goodness, I've not experienced any problems with my Verona EX. I love the car. I've had it almost 4 months and have put about 8000 troublefree miles on it. I have a dealer installed rear spoiler,but I would like any suggestions on how to further customize it(such as what type of wheels).Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
  • Hi all,

It's been a while b/c after I got my replacement Verona through the Lemon Law (it does work - the lemon law that is) and after the new Verona got its new ECM, I haven't had any engine problems. BUT it seems everytime I have my tires rotated, my hub cabs fall off shortly afterwards. The first time, it fell off I had to go back to the dealer and get a new one. Today, I had my tires rotated again and then went to get my car washed. Well, an older gentleman came up to me and said, your hub cap fell off but the workers put it back on.

Now either these Suzuki tech are incompetent when it comes to rotations or this is another Suzuki Verona issue. Anybody experienced this when having their tires rotated?

PS - If you are gonna get a Verona, get alloy wheels!
  • nace818nace818 Posts: 140
    I don't have hubcaps, I do have the factory alloys. But I was wandering if you experienced any shake in the car. I have slight shake between 50 & 60 mph, especially after the car has sat all day especially when cold. It seems to go away after it warms up. I'm thinking it's the Hankook tires. By the way, I finally saw another Verona after having mine about 4 months and it also had a hubcap missing in the rear. Coincidence?
  • easterbaby-

I'm in the hubcap business and I see this all the time with Daewoo caps (the Verona is really a Daewoo Leganza, as you probably know). The problem is that the caps are made of nylon, which is a very flexible plastic. If you are not careful when installing the caps, the clips bend over and the cap will fly off. You should remove the caps yourself before taking the car for service and reinstall them carefully afterwards. They will fit fine if they are installed properly. If you still have problems, strap them on with zip ties -- that's a brute force solution but it has a 99.9% success rate :-)

-Andrew L
  • Sorry, the Verona is really a rebadged Daewoo Magnus, which is the replacement for the Leganza. I loved my Leganza, but totalled it in July. My Verona has been very good so far, but it still has a shudder on deceleration between 45-60 mph. You are right on target about the nylon hubcaps. My mother's Leganza had the hubcaps, but I always told the service people beforehand to be gentle and just ease them back on, No problems.
  • pardon my ignorance, but what are zip ties? Thanks!
  • Happy to say that I have not experienced the shaking with my Verona. But it does sound like a tire problem. Check your tires and make sure there are no "bubbles". Not sure the technical term if anybody knows what I mean please chime in. But I had like a bubble in my tire long ago and it cause the car to shake.
  • easterbaby-

These are zip ties. The one in that pic happens to be green, but you can get plain grayish ones too. You can buy a whole bag of them at the Home Depot for about $5.00. They are "one way" tie-downs...you can pull the small end of the tie through the square thing on the other end in one direction, and you can't pull it back the other way. You can use them to strap your wheel covers to the underlying steel wheel by threading them through the holes in the wheel. The drawback is that you can see them, so they are not the most aesthetically pleasing solution. And you have to remember to replace them every time the hubcaps are removed. A big bag of them will last you a long time. I usually recommend this solution as a last resort to people who just keep losing wheel covers. In most cases, if you install them properly to begin with, you will not have a problem.

-Andrew L