Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• I just purchased a verona and equiped it with TENZO R'S MEAN 6'S (17") with 40 series tires and my ride is actually comfy. keep in mind that I haven't dropped it yet and that will make a big difference. I do plan to go up to 18's after I try a 50 or 55 series tire on my 17's to fill in the gap and keep my ride comfortable. Other then that I'm looking myself for anything i can do to the car. I'll be waiting if anyone finds anything.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    I would be very careful in regards to "custom modifications" with this car. I would suspect that if you lower it (within the warranty period) you may void any warranty items in regards to suspension, steering, etc. Unfortunately, many on this board have had to use their warranty.....
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    jessgri-

Shouldn't an '04 still be under factory warranty? Take it to a dealership and tell them where they can stick -- I mean, ask them nicely to swap out your radio :-)

-Andrew L
  • rasuprasup Posts: 136
    Hi friends,
    I found out about the air cabin filter. It needs to be replaced if you are getting a foul smell when you just operate the fan with the inlet air port open. I could not find this filter from any third party store. The dealer charges $30.00 for the same. Does anyone know if I can find the filter on the web?.
    8000 miles and the Verona is doing well. No complaints.
  • Here's a trick I have used for years. To keep the smell from starting in your air cond. system. Any time you use the compressor (a/c mode) turn off the compressor part (a/c switch) but leave the blower running for about 3 minutes before you arrive home. This will dry out the coil. A wet coil is where the mold and smells start. It works like a charm. You have to remember to do this every day before you park it for the night.
  • nace818nace818 Posts: 140
    Lostsoul, you sound like me. I' also am looking for just about anything to make my car a little more personal, not another one just like it on the road. Just having a Verona is a good start,don't you think?
    CCbloom,
    Excellent suggestion!!. I will try it and maybe you can manage the issue without shelling too many $$$!.
    Thanks cc!!
  • pizardpizard Posts: 45
    OK, I have posted before about issues I am having with the car since the ECM flash. I took the car in once again this weekend because the dealer says they have new scanning software. Of course, the computer shows no codes and when they drive it they can't feel any hesitation even though I gave them specific details on how to drive it to feel the hesitation. I feel it everytime I drive and just don't see how they didn't feel it. I am going to take it in again and drive it with the head mechanic but the problem is that you almost have to be driving to notice it, otherwise you might just think you are on a bumpy road.

Argh :) I also have a bent rim apparently from hitting a pothole and the rim costs almost $500?! Wow. They said it's not bad enough to replace though, thank god.

I too have one of the CD players that will pick up at the beginning of the track when you start the car, this is very and I mean very annoying when listening to an audio book, especially if you only drive a few minutes (such as a quick stop on the way home from work).

Anyways, anyone have any suggestions I can give the dealership about the hesitation issues since it's not giving them any bad codes (besides them driving it)? I mean have any of you discovered from your dealer what was causing it? I thought of suggesting a problem with the fuel line or something.

My hesitation problems are worst around 45 to 65 ...if holding a steady speed of around 52mph, you can just feel the engine pulling from the hesitation, it feels like you are driving on bumpy road.

I LOVED my Verona until the ECM flash and now I am frustrated with it. Oh yea, I started having brake grabbing problems and they say it's normal when wet, but it doesn't happen just when it's wet. I am very frustrated with this dealership but hate to start all over at another one.

Thanks for letting me rant :)
    Hi'
    I am sorry that you are undergoing these problems. I got my ECM replaced and things are running good. I want to let you know that the nature of the car is such that when you are at 40-45 mph and you kick the gas, there is a slight lag (like a turbo car) till the car kicks off to merge. Once in the 50-60 band the car just zooms with a slight push on the pedal. There is no hesitation at all, rather a slight lag as the computer responds to the increased gas input. At 60mph onwards, the car feels like silk and is really into the power band. Futher gas just zooms the car ahead. There seems to be some other problem. I suggest first ask the dealer to check the trans and the trans and oxygen sensor. Of course these should have come up in the OBD 2 scan. Secondly, ask for a new Verona for a long test ride with the service manager. Drive the car as you do in your car.Then drive your car with the service manager. See if they can spot the trouble. Then if they accept the trouble, don't sign the diagnosis paper without putting your remarks that the problem was not resolved. Request the regional suzuki tech engineer/manager to look into the problem- write it down on the receipt and write a separate letter to Suzuki, mentioning the trouble. This is my suggestion. Please let me know if you like it. Have you tried to add the fuel injection/carburettor cleaner?. This worked wonders for me. Use a good brand like STP. Also try to use premium fuel and see if it makes a difference. As regards the brake, my rotors were out of round and the dealer replaced them under warantee about 6 months back. Ask the dealer to check the brake system. During wet days the brake does seems more sensitive, but does operate and function. Maybe you can try another dealer if this one can't resolve the issues.
    Good luck and let us know if this helps.
  • Question, did anyone else get the recall notice about an issue with the brake lights. Maybe that is the problem with the brakes grabbing as someone pointed out previously.
    Anyway, I got my notice the other day but have not taken my Verona in. Just wondered, who else got one...and if anyone has experience the problem described in the notice.
    Hi easterbaby,
    My Vin no. is not on recall. My dealer informed me only certain cars with vin no. have the brake light recall.
  • hey nace818, your right abt just owning one. I like it very much, and I haven't had any problems with it yet. I live in amish country up here in Lancaster, PA and you should see the people breaking there necks to look at my car. With the 17's I put on it and the low profile tires and removing the suzuki emblems and name from around the car, people go crazy wondering what it is. I have major plans for it, got some good fabricating friends up here that plan to help me make this car stand out like no other. If you or anyone finds out abt upgrades please pass the info this way. I'll be waiting, until then. Enjoy the car we have chosen for it is a good one!!! and on a final note that IS MY opinion.Not a fact.lol
  • pizardpizard Posts: 45
    I have tried a higher grade gas and if anything, it ran worst. They still couldn't find anything wrong with the car but I notice it every time I drive it and it's not really something that you will notice if you are in the passenger seat necessarily so it probably won't do a lot of good having the service person in the passenger seat while I drive it. Once in a while the hesitation will be strong enough to jerk the car but mostly it's a subtle problem.

They found nothing wrong with my brakes, though I am sure them grabbing they way they are isn't normal. Fortunately I have lots of time left on my warranty.

I am going to try a fuel additive, but not sure that's the problem. Thanks for your suggestions. I have also already been in touch with the region/district manager but not since taking it in again this past weekend.
  • zodiaczodiac Posts: 9
    Yes Easterbaby, I had a recall notice last week for my Chevy Epica, I took it to the Chevy dealer on Monday and they fixed it within the hour, it is mainly a safety item whereby it could run down your battery or keep your brake light on all the time.
    Hello lostsoul and others. I just had a pin-stripe job on mine,a burgundy stripe on the saphire gray really looks great. What I really woul like next is dual exhaust. I don't know if this is possible with the straight six, but I think a Y-pipe near the rear axle before it joins the the original muffler might work. This would allow me to put another muffler on the right side.Then I could get two of the chrome tips from the suzukipitstop catalog. Probably no better performance,but it may sound a little better and look better. What do you all think? By the way, I too have people trying to read the badges to figure what kind of car it is. Cool!
  • hey nace818, its funny you bring the exhaust thing up, I was thinking abt that the other day while I was behind a lexus. I think it's possible, I haven't asked any of my mechanic friends yet but I bet one of them can make it work. Yes that would look lovely, dual chrome exhaust tips sticking out the back. I can't control myself thinking abt it. If it does work out I plan to enlarge the exhaust system from cat back to abt 2-2 1/4 inches with 2 nice aftermarket mufflers for better sound and a little more horse power. Found out that there is an air intake system by k&n that can be put on the verona. With both the air intake and exhaust upgrades, I expect the horses to go up by atleast 12 to 15. Look into it and let me know what you think. Later......
    About the duals,There is a black plastic box of some kind where the right side muffler would go.Idon't know what it is, but it might be relocated possibly. It doesn't seem to do much. The reason I talked about the y-pipe is because I saw a BMW 330.I suv and this is how BMW gets its duals. I assume 330.I is a straight six also.
  • watchdogwatchdog Posts: 1
    I have had the same experience as hope2. It will be three trips to the dealer tomorrow, with no problem found. I recommend everyone having a problem with this car contact the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) at the following address and file an on-line complaint form. It is also interesting to see all of the similar complaints. If NHTSA receives enough complaints, the will be forced to act. Please take the time and complain at:
    HTTP://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/
  • roshellroshell Posts: 2
    without knowing what part of the country you are in, it's hard to determin parts cost, but you should be able to get a cabin air filter for less then 20.00$$$-and you really shouldnt have to change it until 12,000 miles or so...
    roshell :P
  • roshellroshell Posts: 2
    The recall notice is for a brake switch that has a faulty plunger that allows the brake lights to stay on at all times, but does not effect the operation of the actual braking, it has been known to run down the battery tho-
    the recall only takes about 15 minutes to complete-
    roshell
  • Hi
    I just needed a place to voice my opinion and found many like minds here so here goes. :cry:

I bought a 2004 Suzuki Verona :lemon: in July 2004. Less than a year ago. I was so excited. I did the research and checked everything out. I did caparison shopping and the whole bit.

I thought I had me a real deal. I paid less than 17,000. Title license. and all.

I have had nothing but trouble out of this car. I am currently driving my 3rd rental. I have had 2 recalls. 3 mechanical problems, and a broken strut. I am just so frustrated. I have never had any car trouble in the past so I know it is not just my driving habits. I drove a 1997 Grand Prix prior to this one. The only thing that ever went wrong on that car the whole time I drove it was the alternator. I wish I had it back. :(

I love the body style, It is really comfortable and runs great. When it will start, and is not stalling. I have the sapphire gray, S model.

My problems started around 10,000 miles and have been pretty constant since.

Thankfully I have a nice dealer. I have had all of my maintianence done there and they have been really nice. I have a tires for life deal so that is cool too. I went to school with my salesman.

Any comments are welcome good or bad. That is just my opinion and my car. :)
    Yes, there have been many, many problems associated with this car. You seem to have had more than your share. It just proves my point that a long warranty offered by the manufacturer only solves the monetary part of the equation (although an important one!) It's the time, the inconvenience of taking your car in to the dealer, and most of all the lack of confidence you would have to take this car on a long vacation trip. It's all too bad, they are beautiful cars...... That is why I say the best warranty offered is one you don't have to use!
    Hi Friends,
    I agree with you chuck that a long warrantee is no excuse for poor quality. The only thing it gives is a bit of peace of mind when your car is giving trouble. But I don't think the Car makers feel about the constant mental tension and a lot of time wastage that we users undergo to take appointments,leave work early, brave odd weather, undergo great risk ( yes RISK..when your car malfunctions on a rush hour highway..maybe stall?/erratic idle?/ slipping brakes? etc.) and finally get the fix done. Another few months and you have another stupid problem because of poor quality. The cycle repeats and you have another set of issues.
    My verona is at the dealer once again. The idle rpm was too low and the car used to stop at the red light. On a few occasions, the car stopped and I had to put it on Park and restart the Car. I got many honks and glares. My dealer has been very good . He arranged a rental. Here are the problems I faced:

1. ECM and stalling issue and replacement of ECM.
    2. Brake rotor out of shape and replacement.
    3. Fogging in headlight unit and replacement.
    4. Transmission sensor replacement due to faulty sensor.
    5. Failure of driver power window switch and motor and replacement.
    6. Oxygen or fuel mixture sensor malfunction and replacement.

I was given rentals on 4 occasions. Now I am seriously doubting the quality of some of the components. I like the Verona for its smoothness. I wish the manufacturer did good QC in the begining to avoid these costly repairs. Ofcourse the warantee saved me. I dont know what I will do next. The Car is 9000 miles and 1.5 years old. The lemon law is not applicable. Anyway I dont know if I want another Suzuki again.
  • HELLO ALL, I haven't been on this board in a while, because as someone pointed out ,most of us that are satisfied with our Veronas don't bother to post comments much, we're to busy enjoying are autos to bother. this Sunday morn, I decided to check out the board. Some are having problems, some aren't. Those of you who are, work with your dealer to correct them, or find one who will. Because this is a wonderful auto, in all areas; ride, handling,performance,features,interior&exteior style,fit&finish. I had a problem early (ECM), it was fixed, now I LOVE MY VERONA! I have 23,000mi the auto is great,I have owned autos for 40yrs. this is by far the most satisfiing ,regardless, of price, auto I have owned . I would pay sticker price to own another one if something happened to my 2004 VERONA EX,Sapphire Grey. I incountered a huge pothole in January ,my dealer quoted $260.00 for a new rim, I was never in love with the EX alum. wheel anyway, so I used the opportunity to purchase a new set of wheels,(RAGE- VIGOR style wheels from DISCOUNT TIRE CO.) They look awesome on this ride. I also simply added a oval chrome exshaust tip to the rear. ILOVE MY VERONA !!!!!! CANT U TELL !!!!!!!
  • :cry: :cry:
    I got my Verona back today. I was so glad to be out of a rental and back in my own car. It worked fine for 27 miles then the check engine light came on and smoking started coming out from under the hood.

I'll let yall know what I find out tomorrow........... :confuse:
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Posts: 487
    Sounds like the dealer service department screwed something up this time.
  • kctomkctom Posts: 46
    Obviously you know quite a bit about this car, Chuck. Just where do you get the figures as to the problems associated with this car?

KCtom
    :confuse:
    Hello,
    My Verona's back after a mass air flow sensor was replaced and all else checked. The Car rides fine now. This is the 7'th or 8'th time in the shop. On the positive side, I had 4-5 rentals and on the lighter side got to test ride a mazda protege, ford taurus, buick lasabre and a mistubishi endeavor!!!. I hope this keeps me away from the shop!!
    Tom, the dealer has not tested the car of all faults. I hope you dont go through more aggravation.
    "Obviously you know quite a bit about this car, Chuck. Just where do you get the figures as to the problems associated with this car?"

I have talked to several Verona owners and the dealer. The number of problems this model is having is beyond belief. It is really astounding when you look at the small number sold and the percentage of problems associated with these vehicles. Hey, if you have a good one, count yourself lucky. General motors really blew this by changing things (transaxle, ecm, etc.) AFTER Daewoo developed this model. They should have left well enough alone. The Daewoo Leganza is going down as pretty reliable. There is no reason to believe that this model under Daewoo would have been any different. The motor in the Verona is capable of MUCH MORE HORSEPOWER, but limlited by the ECM, and the transmission. What does that tell you?
    "My Verona's back after a mass air flow sensor was replaced and all else checked. The Car rides fine now. This is the 7'th or 8'th time in the shop."

The 7th or 8y time in the dealer. One of my vehicles is a Ford Explorer-it's been back only twice in 36,000 miles for warranty work! Once for a rattle in the driver's door-and once to have the transmission solenoid replaced! And this is a new model-the redesigned Explorer (A- 2002!)