Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Ouch!! Sorry to hear about your fall, but I'm glad you were able to resume fishing. Bummer, though.

I know those mountains - that's very decent mileage under the circumstances.
  • lil302000lil302000 Posts: 149
    car is by far the most noticeable break in car I have ever had. I have only bought three brand new cars and this one really changes at about the 3,500 mile point. There is real gas mileage improvement, transmission improvement, and engine performance. I can only hope that it stands the test of time because I keep my cars at least ten years. The fall was a bummer, but it could have been allot worse. My father and brother in law could not believe I climbed back up out of the rocks, and we still managed to catch 25 legal sized or better flounder before returning to Ohio. Thanks Pat and take care see on the boards.
  • Hope you are recovering well and no permanent injury.
    Sounds like you had a load in the Verona and it performed very well. Looking for some changes in mine also, maybe at the 2500 or 3000 mileage. I have about 2250 now. Mostly city miles.
    Still lovin that Verona.
    Ken
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    Hope you're feeling well!
    you all, I am doing good. I am kind of concerned about the key fob. The salt water caused my keys to rust the same day I fell in. It trashed the inside works of my reel. The fob seems to be working ok for now though so I guess time will tell. When it comes to oil with this car I would have to lean on the 5W30 side as well. This car is kind of strange when it comes to oil it holds allot for a small six 7.4 quarts. It sounds to me like it plays a larger part in engine cooling than normal. Just a thought that could maybe drive a thinner viscosity. I don't know just a thought.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Wow, that is a large oil capacity for a small engine. My 3.5 V6 takes 4.5 quarts if I remember correctly and my 2.7 V6 takes 4.2. I wonder if the inline design requires more oil since the engine is much longer. With that much oil, I'd be tempted to let it go 5k between oil changes.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Im glad youre alright, though Im sorry that you had that experience. Good to hear that the Verona is holding up well, too!

I hear side airbags/curtains will be available for 2005. That solves one of my biggest issues with this decent car. Can anyone confirm any other changes?

~alpha
    alpha, Hope all is well for you. I am glad to see side airbags on Verona as well. I would think they would find a way to increase the pony power a bit as well. I would like to see them sick with the in-line 6 and keep the body style changes simple as well. I think at least IMO that less qwarky body styles in this segment will stand the test of time more so than radical body styles. But I have always had simplistic taste, such as I never liked the bird on the hood of firebirds I always liked just one color and low profile deck fins. I sure could have used side airbags for that fall. :)
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    Yup, side airbags (covering the head and torso) will be available for the 05 Verona. I have to say I doubt that there will be a power increase for the 05 Verona because rumore has it that GMDAT is working on the next Magnus or a successor to it.
  • oilgirloilgirl Posts: 1
    I'm not yet a Verona owner, but I'm taking a good hard look at them. Does anyone have any long-term experience, say, over 50k miles with one? I just had a wreck in my Explorer which was running strong at 150k, but I'd rather not spend that kind of money (or get that poor of gas mileage) on a vehicle again. Also, I'll do some research pertaining to the 5w-30 or 10w-30 issue. As a lubricant rep for a major oil company I know that the "W" refers to the amount of viscosity improvers added to the oil for "Winter" performance. At 20 degrees f. a 5W with a 5 viscosity rating at start up, but the 30 in both cases is viscosity at operational temperatures. During the summer I don't think it makes much difference, but I'll check with our technical reps...hope that helps someone.
  • mm9351mm9351 Posts: 72
    Ok everyone, let's get the oil capacity correct! Suzuki just posted a technical bulletin TSB0306234 this month which states that the correct oil pan capacity including oil filter is 6.8 quarts, NOT 7.4 quarts. Also, SAE 5W-30 is the recommended oil for the RP625 engine. SAE 10W-40 is the ONLY acceptable substitute. Do not let your dealer overfill the engine, give him the TSB number and make sure you get 6.8 qts. of the 5-30 oil. Remember, the RP625 engine was designed by Porsche so there's more hp waiting in the wings...check out Ebay performance upgrade kits...no reason why this engine isn't capable of near 200 hp with minor mods ...probably see this on 2006 models.

PS I have 1200 miles on my EX and the posts are true...it gets stronger everyday. Good luck to all!
    should drive a recall for the dip stick. Because if 6.8 is it's true capacity than the dip stick is going to tell you it's low on oil. Man that is a critical error on the part of Suzuki. Over fill is worse than being a little low on oil.
  • ricschricsch Posts: 540
    My father has been looking at the Verona for his next vehicle. While at the local Suzuki dealer, they told him that Suzuki has come out with a new computer upgrade for the car which they claim really is a noticable improvement.

Has anyone heard of this and is it true?

We plan to stop back and drive an updated car.

Also, what if any problems have there been with your Veronas?

Thanks
  • russm3russm3 Posts: 44
    Thanks for the info on a few more horses but what will this do to your warranty? Oil girl hope you look hard at the verona. Nice car but I'm waiting for things to get done under warranty for suzuki.
    Suzuki is sending reps out to see if qualifies to be repaired the way I take it. So go over the car good take your time. If they try to rush you ask them to fix everything before you sign any papers! Suzuki is taking their good old time about fixing them. Thats a shame this for this is a nice car.
  • My owners manual states 6.8 qts of OIL and I got word through the service manager from where I purchased the Verona EX from Suzuki that the only oil to use is 5W-30. A local friend researched oil on the internet and one major oil company posted that the thinner oil, ex: 5W-30, was to give better MPG. He does not own a Suzuki.
    My Granddaughter bought a Mazda3 and it recommends 5W-20 oil. She is also going to the Mazda dealer for oil changes as they give a discount. (under $10.00 for oil, filter and labor.) Oilgirl, please post your findings on this board. I have a little over 2300 miles now on the Verona and got 23 MPG over all on a 400 mile trip a couple weeks ago (see earlier post 06/11 or #752.)
    Hoping all goes well with my Verona as I'm still loving it.
    Ken
  • Does anyone have specifics on this? I just found it listed on the Suzuki Pit Stop site.
    Verona01 04304R 4/30/2004
    Ken
  • mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    If you folks want to add life to the engine in the Verona, or any vehicle, you will do well to switch to a synthetic oil. I have in my vitara and never looked back. It starts easier, runs quieter, and I get a tad more MPG.
    Synthetic does not cook like dino oil at high temps but just as importantly, it flows much much better at low temps than dino oil. This is especially important for OHC rigs where you have two high cams sitting in aluminum heads. Oil needs to get there ASAP.
    Yes, synthetic is more expensive. However, I have a friend with a 94 tracker that has seen more abuse than you can imagine. That little motor has had 2 timing belts. Thats all. Nothing else has been done. It runs quietly. Burns no oil. None. Still has compression within 10% of OEM specs.

The mileage?
    I like synthetic as well. The book calls for long oil change intervals, longer than I like I am a 3,000 mile guy. It is correct that the book also states a 6.8 quart oil capacity, but my car in real life takes 7.1 with the Daewoo filter and 7.4 with an STP filter. At any rate it is still allot of oil and I think that keeping the engine cool is a driving factor for the thinner oil and extra capacity. I know allot people think 3,000 mile changes are excessive but it has served me well as most of my cars are kept for at least ten years and all have been smoke free.
  • ricschricsch Posts: 540
    How do you like your car, what do you dislike, what kind of city and highway mileage are you getting? Any news on what may be changed for 2005?
  • I like the way it handles, rather nimble, I think.
    I like the bells and whistles for the cost of the EX Verona. I get about 18+ city and 23+ highway, both w/AC,(like the auto temp control AC) but then I only have about 2400 miles on the Verona. I also think it has a very good ride and nice looks/lines. My first time to purchase a first series new auto. We have had it since Oct '03 and admitting it is the wife's car as it stays in the garage about 5 days a week. She enjoys driving it more that a Chrysler Concorde which was the family car before the Verona. I think it is great value for the money. That is my opinion.