Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• jg15lzbjg15lzb Posts: 1
    I bought a brand new '04 Suzuki Verona a month ago and I absolutely love it. I just had to tell the world about it. It rides so unbelievably smooth, it even handles the bumps with ease. The 6-cylinder offers decent acceleration, nothing to hoot about, but it isn't exactly slow , either. I'm actually used to this kind of performance because before I purchased the Verona I had an '01 Elantra automatic (which is a little quicker, though). So its nothing new to me. So there's really nothing to complain about in the Verona, but I do have some annoyances. I would really like more bass from the stereo, and it would be nice if it had rear deck mounted speakers instead of on the rear door. I was considering on buying a Sonata GLS-V6, but I figured the Verona S was a better deal. You get more features, more room, and you pay less. I think I made the right decision, but time will tell if I made a mistake.
  • My verona is currently at the dealer and has been there for 2 weeks. Suzuki was nice enough to put me in a rental until the fix is completed. i am good friends with the service manager and I called him today and he told me they pinpointed the problem with the ECM. he says that Suzuki is trying to get approval from the EPA to install the upgrade since the emissions will go up. He also told me that the upgrade will possibly push the car up to around 200HP. he asid the ones over seas can push 300 HP because they don't have the strict tune down restrictions for emissions like the american cars do. Personally, if the stalling stops and i get 200HP, overall I would be happy, who wouldn't be if they got 45 more horsepower!
  • Another one that stalls! One thing I dont understand...with the old/current ECM software it seems only a small percentage of these cars stall out. I wonder why that is...seems maybe Suzuki does not know exactly what causes it to stall.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    I agree, if it a software issue, one would think all cars would be affected. What causes the software to become "unstable" and "infected" in some cars and not in others? It is interesting; over the weekend I saw a full page Suzuki Dealer ad. Of the new cars, the Verona was not advertised at all. It makes one wonder....
  • evergreenevergreen Posts: 208
    Just completed a ten day round trip to Denver from Bend, Oregon. My mileage for the whole trip was 29+ mpg. My freeway mileage generally ran 30 31 mpg. I am not a fast driver so my freeway speed averaged only about 70 mph. Had the air conditioning on about half the time. We have 13,500 miles on the EX and have had no problems except the ocassional minor roughness at start up. I just give it a little gas and it immediately smoothes out. Was a wonderful trip and I didn't end up with any bugs in my teeth like the guy riding the Honda Silver Wing that passed me in Wyoming. Geesh. Didn't know those scooters could go so fast. I took the Verona up to 100mph at one point and it was solid as a rock. Great car.
  • aristotlearistotle Posts: 123
    Does anyone know when the 2005 Veronas will hit the road?

Also, will it have more horsepower? IF yes, how much more?

I like everything about the Verona except the occassional roughness at start time that people are talking about.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Someone commented that Im not around as much as I used to be here on the Verona board. I am still enjoying all the postings from satisfied (and the occasional unsatisfied) owners, but since my contentions with the Verona remain (slow and thirsty for its class and engine output, lack of side airbagage, unattractive center stack on the S model, etc), I dont really have much to say. I think the Verona is a very good car for the money, but not the insane deal that some do. If GM Dawuki can make incremental improvements to the car, and come up with a convincing marketing campaign, I'll bet sales begin to ramp up. That said, Im not convinced the car is more appealing than a Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 for example, something not bound to improve when that model gets a full redesign in less than one calendar year.

~alpha
  • aristotlearistotle Posts: 123
    Isn't the totally redesigned Hyundai Sonata due by the end of September 04 ( 7 weeks from now )?

Spyshots of that car look great! Seems to have everything! Accord, Camry, Altima and the Mazda 6 may soon have to try very hard to catch up with the 05 Sonata. I won't be surprised if that happens.

But I am digressing. Verona is a great car. All that I am asking is a little more horespower ( in the 210 - 230 HP range ) and side air bags.
  • mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    FWIW....I too had a stalling problem with a 2000 Dakota with teh 4.7 engine. It took three PCM updates to finally fix it. Part of the delay, as was mentioned with the Verona, is due to EPA regs that hold a very small window during startup for emissions. Once DOdge got the go ahead for the update and my PCM was flashed, the stalling went away.

Different vehicle I realize, however the circumstances are nearly identical.
  • I bought my Suzuki Verona Jan 2004 and had problems from the first week. The radio would not work because they couldn't find the code so they had to take it out to reprogram, the car would not go forward when I hit the gas pedal, the transmission would jerk, then worst of all it would just cut off whether sitting still or in motion. In that six month period, I had to drive 6 loaner vehicles. People began to ask me if I owned a car lot because I was always in a different car! ;o)So I filed a lemon law claim and after 6 months I got a brand new Verona. But the story doesn't end there because after 1 month and a half of my new Verona replacement, it cut off on me while I was driving down the street. Same problem as my first Verona.

The thing that got me during my first ordeal was the fact that Suzuki did not believe me which is why I had to go file a claim. But now, from what I have been told this time around, my car along with 3 other Veronas are now sitting in the shop waiting for Suzuki to come and fix them. So I am in loaner car number 7.

Good Luck to you all who have not experience any problems. But if you do, don't let them fool you. I am a witness that this car has major problems.
  • "Spyshots of that car look great! Seems to have everything!"

Yes it does seem to have everything. Styling cues from everything else on the market that is.
  • Don't get another Verona! I got a new Verona via lemon law claim b/c they could not fix my first one. And the second one is having the same problems. It took 6 months to get the 2nd Verona and I am curious to see how long it takes before this situation is resolved.
  • Here is something funny: In my first Verona, the CD player did start the songs over and it was annoying at first but I got used to it. Actually, it was the least of my problems because I was more concerned about the fact the car wouldn't run. Anyway, I got another one, Verona that is, and in this one, the CD allowed the songs to pick up where they left off. I thought that was strange.
  • I am happy for all of you who are enjoying your Verona. But this is no comfort to those of us experiencing problems. When I first began to experience so many problems I was told by my salesperson, that so far no other person with the 2004 Verona has had any problems. But when I am constantly having problems and making payments on a car that spends more time in the shop than with me, what good is that news to me?
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Posts: 487
    I simply do not believe your postings. Member of Edmunds Town hall since 8/6/04. Somehow I think you are someone else making up a new alias. How about posting pictures of yourself with your Verona, parts of the paperwork when you bought the car, etc. To make your story believable.

If you had really filed a lemon law claim and won, you would have been issued a cash settlement of all costs involved. Why did you take another Verona after problems with the first one?
  • rasuprasup Posts: 136
    Its true that some Veronas stall and the problem is in the ECM program. This typically occurs after the Car is started and you try to run it without a small wait. This happens when you try to push the car when the car is cold. Some thing triggers the ECM to shut down and go cold. These appear to be occuring in the early batch of cars. As mentioned by one of the forum members, the fix is probably being initiated by Suzuki. Alpha I dont like the Sonata's 04 styling which I think pales to Verona's style. I have'nt seen the 05 Sonata. Easterbaby Can you provide the VIN numbers of both the Cars to know the details of what went wrong?.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Well, let's remember that we all should take things we read "on the internet" with a grain of salt. I don't think it is necessary to ask folks to post pictures, VINs, etc. to back up their posts. We're all free to make up our own minds about whether any given report is plausible.

Let's move on.
  • I don't care if you don't believe me because I don't know you and you don't know me. If I wanted to I could provide alot of evidence to show I telling the truth but I don't have to because it doesn't matter to me if you or anyone on this forum believes me. I was just sharing my story in hopes to help someone out.

I took another Verona b/c I like them and I assumed that the first one was a fluke, in other words I just got a bad one. But I had that option so I took it.
  • Like I replied to the other poster, my story is very true. What possible reason would I have to search out this forum and make up a story about filing a lemon law claim against Suzuki on my verona?

I just don't have that kind of time on my hands to make up stories. Some other may have that kind of time but not me.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Easterbaby, that is what I was saying - it is not necesary for people to ask you to post documentation. I wasn't questioning you at all.

You are going to be deluged with spam at that email address if you leave it posted. What you can do is make it public in your profile. That way people who are logged in members can see it, but the spam bots cannot. If you want me to delete that message, just email me. :)