Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• revrbmrevrbm Posts: 4
    I am having more problems with suzuki verona than I care to discuss, Same ones everyone else is having, Ready to file a civil law suite! Already filing lemon law and its in the shop WITH 4 OTHERS NO JOKE I wrote down all the plate #'s and VIN #'s. Please if you could give me the #for your lawyer you used I would appreciate it.
    They are replacing my catalyst converter this time.. HA HA I don't think thats it Suzuki! Anyways if they don't get it this time the attorney General is on my side but I still want to look into file a civil case against suzuki on behalf of all of us

My Email is Rev_rbm@yahoo.com and any info or just explanations of your problems I'm sure would be beneficial.

Thanks
  • revrbmrevrbm Posts: 4
    Nice thing about here in maine is they only have 7 days to respond now tha I am filing Lemon law through attorney General.. Thanks for the advice with the pictures that is a good Idea I will use that one for sure..
    Thanks again
  • evergreenevergreen Posts: 208
    Since I have had two entire engine replacements, and I know others have had to have their engine replaced too, I wonder how long it will be before Suzuki runs out of engines. Does Suzuki use this engine in any other vehicle? With the Verona out of production, maybe they will run out of engines. Then what happens if you need a new engine?
  • esalazaresalazar Posts: 21
    do you really believe they replaced two engines? one time that i took my car in they told me they replaced it too. I wanted to be a more of a [non-permissible content removed] than what i was already with them and ask to show me the motor that was taken out my car. :P but i figured that if they couldnt show me the blown fuse that was the problem from the very first visit to the shop, and i asked to show me the blown fuse. they said they couldnt find it :surprise: 2nd time they claimed the computer was replaced, again they should of known me by that time i asked to show me the computer. :surprise: funny the tech that did my car had left home already. after that i didnt even bother asking anymore.It got to the point where i knew they didnt like me for, well you know. i go down the street and make sure the tires werent loose or something. I really did. drive really slow afraid break lines werent sliced or something. I had and issue with the dealer in the past b4 i bought verona. bought my verona at mazda dealer, never even thought or crossed my mind about suzuki.see where i was taking verona to have fixed. was at mitsubishi dealer. come to find out both them dealers are brothers and had the same dumbfu... working on cars. now i scratch mitsubishi, suzuki dealers off my list. lol
  • esalazaresalazar Posts: 21
    i just sent you an email from my yahoo account. oh take pictures, hows that saying a picture never lies or something. lol. i took pictures before i take car in for repair. and of the reading i got on my scan tool.cheap [non-permissible content removed] scan tool i bought was just as acurate as the one in suzuki's shop. boy and were they surprised when me a woman told them that a misfire on first cylinder, was the problem not a blown fuse as they first stated. all they did was cleared the check engine light. u know disconnecting the battery. lol
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Why not keep the conversation here on the board where it will benefit lots of folks - posters as well as lurkers, now and in the future?
  • blkbobblkbob Posts: 36
    After over $7,000 of labor and parts put into my car, the good times only lasted a 10 days. It is currently, back to being a piece of junk. Engine lights and stalling issues have returned with severe prejudice against me. After telling Suzuki that their "fix" didn't fix it, they then just kept me waiting. I threw in the towel and got myself a Lemon Law lawyer (ON A CONTINGENCY BASIS which I pray all of you are doing). The lawyer jumped at the chance and promptly sent a letter of possible litigation if they did not want to resolve this fairly. So from now on it's pretty much my lawyer talking to their lawyers. I just told mine to wake me when it's over and hopefully he'll be waving a check under my nose to wake me. So now it's a waiting game.
  • I purchased an 04 Verona EX in Oct of 03. Had RPM fluctuating and rough idle issues and took the car in to the dealer (Melbourne, FL) 08/18/04. The Suzuki district Manager happened to be there and Flashed system and checked ok. Mileage was 2745. 10/17/06 back for same problem, different dealer, (Birmingham, AL) replaced MTIA and performed Reflash. Fail code was 99/44 and the Throttle Body was replaced. Mileage 21352.
    There is a sticker on the glove box door that has the following info...Dealer code 4011293, 10/06, ECM,
    P/N 96809715, Version #1BQA.
    The car still has a minor idle/fluctuation problem at first start up, but last less that a minute.
    One problem with both dealers I have dealt with is they do not know to use 5W30 oil as stated in the owners manual. The first oil changes at the dealers was 10W30 and I called Suzuki and they in turn notified the dealers to use 5W30 only. They also did not know the amount of oil required to fill the engine.
    The Original battery went dead last month, 44 months use.
    (New EMail address -- kjmayo@centurytel.net)
    I now have just over 25000 miles on the Verona
    If anyone can use this information to further an action for their Verona, please contact me.
    Except for gas mileage and noted above, the Verona has has performed OK.
    Thanks for letting me post.
    VERONAOWNER (Ken)
  • mm9351mm9351 Posts: 72
    I also have an 04 Verona EX bought in April 2004. In Sept 04 I received a Safety Recall Notice from Suzuki to replace the ECM Engine Control Module. Idling smoothness was significantly improved and I have had NO issues with the car since then. Last year I had the transmission re-flashed at the recommendation of the dealer (not that I noted a problem). Supposedly it removed the learning mode. Performance of the transmission about the same, maybe slightly improved after the service. The car has NEVER stalled in traffic or otherwise. Still on original battery, brakes, tires after 32,000+ miles. Car runs flawlessly. Not a single failed component, never seen any trouble codes / Engine Check Light never came on. Only services were gas and routine oil changes (IMPORTANT: I perform the oil / filter changes myself at regular intervals using ONLY 5W30 and the correct quantity (6.8 qts per Suzuki TSB TS 03-06234 for the RP625 engine). I truly believe that using the wrong grade oil and / or qty. has been a MAJOR contributor to the engine issues being reported here. The only parts I replaced on this car are the rear turn signal bulbs, not because they "failed" but the amber coating wore off. Total cost of replaced parts in 3+ yrs. of ownership = $3.49. One thing I would like to advise, before selecting my car on the dealer lot, I had the "advantage" of trying out a few Veronas, and two of three had starting / idling / stalling issues. Mine was the only one that performed perfectly off the lot and selected it. So I truly believe everyone's grief is real and not exaggerated. True, a very small statistical sample, but from my viewpoint 2 out of 3 Veronas have serious issues and I think that is what we are seeing on this board.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Just a housekeeping note - it appears you have changed email addresses? Please update your account to reflect that. Thanks!
    well, I never actually saw the engine they replaced but I don't have any reason to doubt the dealer. They gave me a free rental car for a week or so both times and I haven't been charged a penney for anything since it is all under warranty. I don't know why they would doing all this just for fun. I never had any problems with either engine they replaced so it's not like they were trying to say they were doing this to resolve some complaint from me. The only possibility I can think of is that they are making a lot of money from Suzuki for swapping out these engines because maybe their regular business is slow.
  • kimweigelkimweigel Posts: 43
    I too, am the former owner of a Verona who traded his in for an 06 Hyundai Sonata (used), after marvelling over his wife's 07 Hyundai Sonata (new).
    Although I didn't have any real mechanical problems with my Verona, I never really liked the way the transmission shifted. It never held the gears long enough, and never shifted at the right time. I believe the car could have been soooooo much better with a 5 speed automatic like the Hyundais have. The interior was fantastic, switchgear, paint, fit, finish all good. I bought my EX brand new Jan 1, 2004 for around 15000, kept it two years, and traded it for around 10,000. There are great deals to be had on cars in January, when everyone is broke from Christmas, and noone is buying.
    The new Sonatas are tremendous. Bigger, quieter on the highway, much faster, and better on gas.
    I do miss the 4.25% loan I had on the Verona, however, and I always got good service at my dealership. However, Hyundai is trying to build reputation, and you can get the same good service with them.
    I'm sad about the Verona. It missed being a really good car because of the transmission sucking the life out of the engine. The transverse straight six was a brave idea, and I believe with a more efficient (read Asian) transmission, I think it could have been a whole different car. Oh well, I guess we'll never know. I'm sure somebody at Suzuki headquarters does, and if they are reading this, they are saying Yeah! That's right! I said that all along!
    I sure hope they get it right next time, because Hyundai is a juggernaut right now.
  • axel_roseaxel_rose Posts: 16
    You know, it's not fair to judge Suzuki on this car alone. I've had several of they're other vehicles from the past and never had problem with any of them. The other cars made by them have been of good quality and made in Japan. The Aerio and Esteem come to mind. I've owned an Esteem and several Suzuki Sidekicks that have performed quite well for me. I was close to buying a Verona in 2004 but shy'd away after learning that they were Korean made GM/Daewoos rebadged as Suzukis.

I think the main problem here is that these Veronas are warmed over Daewoo Leganzas. They were made in Korea in the Daewoo factory using all the same parts as before.

The Forenza seems to be fairing much better and it is also based on Daewoo designed car and is made in Korea.
    Axel, I disagree. Although their other cars do not fair as badly as the Verona, Suzuki splashed their decals all over the Verona and are now claiming what you're claiming--that it's not really a Suzuki. That cop-out alone gives me a bad faith feeling even if I owned their XL7. Unfortunately I do own a Verona and that bad faith feeling is all too real. For those of us who are stalling at stoplights, stop signs, railroad tracks and on the freeways while in motion, excuses are the last thing we want to hear. And for those of us who have made upteen trips to the service department, researched lemon laws and made payments on a car we can't use, we should be applauded for not going "Lindsay Lohan". It's pretty much a consensus that Suzuki would rather pay warranty bills than give an all out recall on this serious safety issue. (Did I mention it was a serious safety issue?) Everytime I hear this claim from the dealership or Suzuki I feel like a rug--stepped on, hosed down and hung out to dry.
    My 04 Verona is starting to humm a littleover 25mph or so. I bought new tires a few months ago and was planning to take it back to the tire dealer to have them checked. Then I remebered the CV joint issue I had with a Volkswagen Golf many years ago. Their CV joints usually needed to be replaced at 60,000-80,000 miles. This humm sounds similar. I only have 43,000 miles on the Verona. Has anyone had to have their CV joints replaced?
    Just had my Verona in to the dealer to check on the humming noise. They thought it was probably a wheel bearing but discovered it was some bearing in the transmission. Now they are going to replace the transmission. With the new head last Fall, two new engines this year and now a new transmission, I am sure Suzuki now has more money into this vehicle in warranty work than it cost me new. With over three more years on the drivetrain warranty, this car will probably cost them even more. We really enjoy the car and it has never left us stranded so I guess I shouldn't be too worried about it. When the head and both new motors were installed, the dealer picked up on the problem before I even had an inkling anything was wrong. I did notice this humming noise before they did but they said it could still be driven safely and it wouldn't leave a person stranded. I am still wondering if they will eventually decide to buy the car back. Have any of you had your car bought back by Suzuki? How do they figure a price?
  • The Verona (read: Daewoo) is still being made and is sold in a few parts of the world, with 2.0 and 2.5 liter I6 engines. They may have the quality control problems improved since the cars would not be marketable as they were. Our Verona now has 43,000 miles on it and is running fine. The radio quit one day and the dealer reset the radio by putting in numbers from the owner's card that came with the car. The engine is OK and remains smooth. I have used Mobil 1 oil from the beginning and sometimes wonder if a few of the many different reported engine problems relate to the factory-installed oil?

The discussion of oil weights seems unimportant. The viscosity difference between 5W-20 and 10W-30 is less than the viscosity differences caused by a few degrees of temperature difference. Engines in general are not critically dependent on precision of viscosity index, as shown by the many millions of cars running successfully on every conceivable oil that consumers dump into them. The real problem was quality control at Daewoo. The auto industry move to lower viscosity oils is primarily driven by fuel economy considerations, not engine life issues.
  • After 46 months and 26025 miles the check engine light came on my 04 Verona EX. I had noticed there was a bit rough idle on startup. I will take it to the dealer tomorrow and have them run the diagnostic test on it. I have a service agreement on it for the Chrysler/Suzuki dealer I bought it from, but I have moved to a different state and city. The Suzuki dealer does not honor the service agreement, so I will have to take it to a Chrysler dealer. Other than the throttle body being replaced and a few up dates and reboots to the computer, I have not had problems.
    I checked the gas tank cap and it is tight. (Read that on this board) Will post how it goes later.
    Ken04
    AKA Veronaowner
  • Went to Birmingham Suzuki this AM and by the time they got my Verona in the shop the check engine light was out. The computer was connected to the car and there was nothing in the history either. Great service from them and there was no charge for the diagnostic service.
    Hope the check engine light stays out.
    Ken04
    AKA Veronaowner
  • So I bought an 05 Verona about a year ago. It had 13,000 miles on it and it is now at 23,000. I take good care of it. regular maintenance and what not. Well a couple months ago I started the car and got a few blocks and I went to hit the gas but the car didnt move. It kind of paused for a couple seconds and finally got going. The check engine light started blinking and stayed on for a couple days. I took it in and they said it had some misfire codes, changed some sensors, oil change and sent me on my way. Well about two weeks ago it did the same thing twice within a week. I took it in again but this time they started questioning what gas I used. I told them mid-grade, no additives. They said they couldnt find anything wrong with it but they think I might have an "alcohol buildup" in the engine and suggested an engine cleaning ($250). I personally have never heard of an "alcohol buildup" or using to high of an octane gas. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem or heard of it?
    cmac3621--Basically the "alcohol buildup" is a bunch of hooey and they're ripping you off. However, that is not the scary part--your service department nor American Suzuki Motors Corporation don't have a clue about what's causing it. If you have some time on your hands, page backwards through this forum and you'll pretty much see that the latter half of this forum is about that very same problem (easier yet, type "Verona" and "stalling" in the Search Forums" option to your left. I'm sure I and countless others can tell you what to expect next when things get worse along with some tips to get you through it. Holla if you need us. Good luck!

PS--Suzuki bought my '05 Verona back, I'm turning it in tomorrow and this took all of 60 days. Will update with details later.
  • Why not contact Suzuki Customer Service 1-800-943-0934 and ask them about "alcohol buildup". Maybe they can tell you if the engine cleaning is a valid maintenance action that would correct a problem such as you describe.
    Veronaowner
  • After 13 months of engine stalling, 13 service visits, 13 free loaners, 2 weeks of taking half-days away from work and 60 days of claiming lemon law, I am happy to say that Suzuki bought my Verona back and paid me all of my payments back (and the lawyer fees to boot). Three days ago I picked up my new Toyota Solara Sport Coupe before I even received the check. I only seen women drive Solaras and they're hints of it becoming discontinued but I don't care--I love it. Took a look at any recalls and the Solara doesn't have a one, not even for a loose radio knob. I also took a look at Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc. etc. because I didn't do that on my Verona until AFTER I bought it.

The final two weeks before the Verona was bought back was rough, though; it was pretty much choking just to go a few feet. I pretty much garaged it until it was time to go bye-bye. (Plus, I didn't want to risk it stalling itself into an accident and then leaving me to pay higher insurance premiums while I'm in a hospital bed sucking my meals through a straw!)

Overall, my experience with going the Lemon Law route was pretty quick and all the lawyer did was send a nice letter on his company stationary before Suzuki settled. However, this little experience hasn't made me a fan yet of lawsuits, I just felt I got lucky.
  • Hey Bob, exactly how much did you pay for your Verona, how long did you own it and how much did Susuki pay you for it?
  • I paid ~$15,500 and only had it a year. I received all my payments back that I made down to the penny. I didn't have to worry about paying the lawyer, my State's Lemon Law has stipulations involving the auto manufacturer to pay all lawyer fees if I win already written in the statute. I had friends and family telling me to go for "pain and suffering" add-on's but I didn't want any delays. I laid out everything simple for the lawyer to understand what I wanted from the deal--return all the payments I have made, completely pay off my loan and expedite it quickly. And that's exactly what they did. Actually it happened sooner than expected, I was still researching what car to buy next when I got a call to drop off the car so I could receive a check the next week. Luckily it all worked out well for me. Believe me, the stress that Verona gave me is all gone now. :)
  • My '04 Verona has been in the shop most of the summer. I've gotten a new transmission and head gaskets and O2 sensors. And according to the dealer, I'm the only one to ever have my ABS module replaced. I feel so special!

The check engine light does not come on anymore since the dealership reset it after the transmission fault, which is why they can't diagnose my problem and fix the dang car once and for all. At least when the engine light came on, the car would ride smoothly again! Anyway, I called Suzuki in California this morning, and a case has been opened. Can anybody tell me what, if anything, I can expect from that, please?

I see a lot of postings about the engine stall issue. That's me. I push on the gas and it stalls initially from a dead stop and then sputters and lurches at any speed thereafter. I got a new transmission after it stalled going up a hill on the interstate, and I dropped from 75 to 40 mph in about two seconds -- much to the surprise of me AND the semi driver riding my bumper. I got new gaskets about a week after the new transmission because that's how long it took for the problem to reoccur.

It's an intermittent problem; and, of course, when it happens I'm never near the dealership or they're closed. And without the check engine light, all they do is scratch their heads and look dumbfounded. The new transmission and gaskets were only guesses, y'know. The Suzuki rep told the dealer to put them on.

Only one time was the dealership able to get it to stall. I got new oxygen sensors as a result, even though the engine light never came on. I drove it four days, and now it's baaack!!!

I don't know if it's because I'm a woman or what, but why won't they listen to me that it seems like a fuel mix issue, like fuel injectors, perhaps? But I'm told fuel injectors wouldn't be intermittent. Well, if it's not the engine, transmission, or oxygen sensors, what's next on the replacement list???

Has anybody here ever had the engine stall problem fixed; and, if so, what was the problem with the car?

Thanks much!

Oh! And the web address for the nthsa won't load for me. I'd be happy to add my complaint to the list. Could someone please provide me with the correct URL?

Thanks again.
  • the whole car in general. pretty on the outside, rotten on the inside. I wish i could of atleast kept the shell of my verona and just slap in another brand of motor. i really did like my car. now i been looking to buy one where they sale salvaged cars. lol just to atleast sit in it and hear the stereo and look good in my drive way.lol
  • The web address I have for NHTSA is http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/.

Suzuki has NO CLUE what is causing the problem and dealerships are waiting for an answer from them also. I previously thought I was a Verona savior when I wrote on this forum about the header being machined wrong [see posting #1648], but after a buttload of Suzuki parts and money were spent the car returned to it's sputtering self in 6 days.

Presently, I think you're officially at that point where you realize that Suzuki rather shell out thousands in warranty bills and rental cars than buy back your car. Just remember, communications with Suzuki come to a grinding halt if you even mention the word "lawyer", so make sure you have one if you take the litigation route.
  • Does anyone know where I can get a battery? My battery is about dead and I checked the local stores inventory online and none say they have one to fit the Verona. The dealership wants $120!!??!! to replace it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
  • Check at your local NAPA Parts store.
    The store here in Alabama stated they
    had a replacement that would fit.
    Don't know the cost.
    Ken (Veronaowner)