Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• Hi
    I just needed a place to voice my opinion and found many like minds here so here goes. :cry:

I bought a 2004 Suzuki Verona :lemon: in July 2004. Less than a year ago. I was so excited. I did the research and checked everything out. I did caparison shopping and the whole bit.

I thought I had me a real deal. I paid less than 17,000. Title license. and all.

I have had nothing but trouble out of this car. I am currently driving my 3rd rental. I have had 2 recalls. 3 mechanical problems, and a broken strut. I am just so frustrated. I have never had any car trouble in the past so I know it is not just my driving habits. I drove a 1997 Grand Prix prior to this one. The only thing that ever went wrong on that car the whole time I drove it was the alternator. I wish I had it back. :(

I love the body style, It is really comfortable and runs great. When it will start, and is not stalling. I have the sapphire gray, S model.

My problems started around 10,000 miles and have been pretty constant since.

Thankfully I have a nice dealer. I have had all of my maintianence done there and they have been really nice. I have a tires for life deal so that is cool too. I went to school with my salesman.

Any comments are welcome good or bad. That is just my opinion and my car. :)
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    Yes, there have been many, many problems associated with this car. You seem to have had more than your share. It just proves my point that a long warranty offered by the manufacturer only solves the monetary part of the equation (although an important one!) It's the time, the inconvenience of taking your car in to the dealer, and most of all the lack of confidence you would have to take this car on a long vacation trip. It's all too bad, they are beautiful cars...... That is why I say the best warranty offered is one you don't have to use!
  • rasuprasup Posts: 136
    Hi Friends,
    I agree with you chuck that a long warrantee is no excuse for poor quality. The only thing it gives is a bit of peace of mind when your car is giving trouble. But I don't think the Car makers feel about the constant mental tension and a lot of time wastage that we users undergo to take appointments,leave work early, brave odd weather, undergo great risk ( yes RISK..when your car malfunctions on a rush hour highway..maybe stall?/erratic idle?/ slipping brakes? etc.) and finally get the fix done. Another few months and you have another stupid problem because of poor quality. The cycle repeats and you have another set of issues.
    My verona is at the dealer once again. The idle rpm was too low and the car used to stop at the red light. On a few occasions, the car stopped and I had to put it on Park and restart the Car. I got many honks and glares. My dealer has been very good . He arranged a rental. Here are the problems I faced:

1. ECM and stalling issue and replacement of ECM.
    2. Brake rotor out of shape and replacement.
    3. Fogging in headlight unit and replacement.
    4. Transmission sensor replacement due to faulty sensor.
    5. Failure of driver power window switch and motor and replacement.
    6. Oxygen or fuel mixture sensor malfunction and replacement.

I was given rentals on 4 occasions. Now I am seriously doubting the quality of some of the components. I like the Verona for its smoothness. I wish the manufacturer did good QC in the begining to avoid these costly repairs. Ofcourse the warantee saved me. I dont know what I will do next. The Car is 9000 miles and 1.5 years old. The lemon law is not applicable. Anyway I dont know if I want another Suzuki again.
  • HELLO ALL, I haven't been on this board in a while, because as someone pointed out ,most of us that are satisfied with our Veronas don't bother to post comments much, we're to busy enjoying are autos to bother. this Sunday morn, I decided to check out the board. Some are having problems, some aren't. Those of you who are, work with your dealer to correct them, or find one who will. Because this is a wonderful auto, in all areas; ride, handling,performance,features,interior&exteior style,fit&finish. I had a problem early (ECM), it was fixed, now I LOVE MY VERONA! I have 23,000mi the auto is great,I have owned autos for 40yrs. this is by far the most satisfiing ,regardless, of price, auto I have owned . I would pay sticker price to own another one if something happened to my 2004 VERONA EX,Sapphire Grey. I incountered a huge pothole in January ,my dealer quoted $260.00 for a new rim, I was never in love with the EX alum. wheel anyway, so I used the opportunity to purchase a new set of wheels,(RAGE- VIGOR style wheels from DISCOUNT TIRE CO.) They look awesome on this ride. I also simply added a oval chrome exshaust tip to the rear. ILOVE MY VERONA !!!!!! CANT U TELL !!!!!!!
  • :cry: :cry:
    I got my Verona back today. I was so glad to be out of a rental and back in my own car. It worked fine for 27 miles then the check engine light came on and smoking started coming out from under the hood.

I'll let yall know what I find out tomorrow........... :confuse:
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Posts: 487
    Sounds like the dealer service department screwed something up this time.
  • kctomkctom Posts: 46
    Obviously you know quite a bit about this car, Chuck. Just where do you get the figures as to the problems associated with this car?

KCtom
    :confuse:
    Hello,
    My Verona's back after a mass air flow sensor was replaced and all else checked. The Car rides fine now. This is the 7'th or 8'th time in the shop. On the positive side, I had 4-5 rentals and on the lighter side got to test ride a mazda protege, ford taurus, buick lasabre and a mistubishi endeavor!!!. I hope this keeps me away from the shop!!
    Tom, the dealer has not tested the car of all faults. I hope you dont go through more aggravation.
    "Obviously you know quite a bit about this car, Chuck. Just where do you get the figures as to the problems associated with this car?"

I have talked to several Verona owners and the dealer. The number of problems this model is having is beyond belief. It is really astounding when you look at the small number sold and the percentage of problems associated with these vehicles. Hey, if you have a good one, count yourself lucky. General motors really blew this by changing things (transaxle, ecm, etc.) AFTER Daewoo developed this model. They should have left well enough alone. The Daewoo Leganza is going down as pretty reliable. There is no reason to believe that this model under Daewoo would have been any different. The motor in the Verona is capable of MUCH MORE HORSEPOWER, but limlited by the ECM, and the transmission. What does that tell you?
    "My Verona's back after a mass air flow sensor was replaced and all else checked. The Car rides fine now. This is the 7'th or 8'th time in the shop."

The 7th or 8y time in the dealer. One of my vehicles is a Ford Explorer-it's been back only twice in 36,000 miles for warranty work! Once for a rattle in the driver's door-and once to have the transmission solenoid replaced! And this is a new model-the redesigned Explorer (A- 2002!)
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    A glance at the Aveo board shows a bad clock to be the most common problem. Is the car the problem or are Suzuki dealers weaker than Chevy dealers? I guess I could compare the Tracker with the Suzi SUV's to get some answer but those are vehicles that don't really interest me.
    Chuck,

Just what percentage of owners nationwide are experiencing problems? And what are the nature of these problems?

KCtom

:confuse:
    Chuck,

No it is not a good thing. Did I say that it was.

All brands of automobile experiences problems like these somewhere. Without some notion as the percentage of cars that experience problems, the conclusions that you draw are without merit. .

KCtom

:D
    Hey KC-
    Do you really think Suzuki is going to release that kind of information? Remember, if it doesn't involve a recall you will never know real numbers. You must sell these things-do you?

I think you are misunderstanding me. I am a Suzuki fan. I bought my kid a brand new Aerio. It was a great car until he totaled it! I wish them well. Do you know if the problems with the tranny and the ECM have been fixed for '05?
    I said this over and over, the Verona is the one of the best looking mid-size sedans on the market as far as I am concerned. I almost purchased one. Remember, I could have got the loyalty rebate. But after crusing the net and hearing of the problems, I did not purchase and am glad I didn't. I ended up buying a slightly used '03 Mitsu Galant. The shape Mitsubishi is in makes for some great deals!
    "All brands of automobile experiences problems like these somewhere. Without some notion as the percentage of cars that experience problems, the conclusions that you draw are without merit".

What you say Tom is correct. But Look at my problems. This only indicates that QC in the Verona needs to be really stepped up. Suzuki really attended to the issues and my dealer is great. But I think I agree with chuck that the best kind of warantee is one that you really dont have to use. Granted that this is a Suzuki first. But they should have done their home work when they advertise it as better than Toyotas and Hondas. I really feel that the Verona offers tremendous value. I looked at other more expensive cars and many of them did not have very subtle features like the audio controls on the wheel, great rear seat room, great keyless entry on the Key itself, DRL, traction control at that price, speed sensitive steering etc. But the bottom line is quality and performance. Because of the problems encountered by me, I wonder about the QC of the various components of the Car. Many times it has lead to situations that could have been potentially hazardous to my safety. Thank God , nothing happened. So the statement that all vehicles come with problems and even a great warantee do not still make me confident that there will not be another problem in the next 4 months or so.
    This has set me thinking. Also I would like to know what is the general perception of the consumer now?. Would they still buy a Verona after reading this forum?. The sales of the Car had gone down by 30% as compared to last year ( ref Suzuki media release). So what is happening to boost the Car's image?. Where are the Verona Ad's?.
    I still like my Car. It rides smooth. I am worried about its future and QC.
    Chuck and Rasup,

I agree with what both of you have said. I disagree with Chuck's blanket statements, unsupported by facts. When an automobile company sells thousands of a particular model, as all do, the number of complaints reported here on this forurm are statistically insignificant.

Suzuki seems to have solved the stalling promblem with the last software release. Remove these complaints from the equation and the car looks pretty good. Go to the MSN auto site. They have about 75 opinions posted there. Remove the stalling complaints and the car looks very good. Especially considering that people are much more likely to post their opinion when they have a gripe.

Check out JD powers. No big problems. Do a search on the internet, and usenet. No big news about Verona problems. Look right here at the Edmund's site. 9 reviiews of the 2005 Verona, all good. Yes sales are down. What does that say. It might say that a savy shopper with an eye for a bargain can get one on a new Verona cheap like I did.

For those considering purchasing a new Verona, you must decide to what extent you will allow FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) to rule your life. That's an individual decision.

Chuck, your statements amount to slander. You have denigrated someones work and effort publically, without facts in support.

KCtom
    "Chuck, your statements amount to slander. You have denigrated someones work and effort publically, without facts in support."

I think the sales down by 30% speaks for itself. I did not mean to "slander" anyone. So-if you took my statements that way, I apologize.
  • carrinocarrino Posts: 39
    :) HELLO EVERYONE,
    I have been reading the post's ,and am sorry to hear about the problems some are having with the verona.I have a 2004 ex model with 25000 miles on it, and am happy to say..no problems at all except for the recalls. I have 3 suzukis, and recommend them to everyone. I love my verona, and get alot of compliments on the vehicle. I travel alot in my business, and the verona is a great car to drive.
    Don't let the problems discourage you from suzuki's, as many other brands had or have problems also. No one car maker has a perfect car. Remember hyundai first came out with big time lemons, and now you see them everywhere. Also chevy and ford had problems over the years and lets not forget dodge. I know irt's easy for me to like the car since i have not had any problems, but be patient and enjoy your suzuki. It is a very nice car.
    "For those considering purchasing a new Verona, you must decide to what extent you will allow FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) to rule your life. That's an individual decision. "
    Well, All I can say is that if you had a Car that went 8 times to the dealer for warantee repairs..would you still be upbeat?. You might say " it just happened in your case". But read the forum and you will know.
    For that matter the question of "FUD" should not arise at all in purchasing a new car. If it does , it only means that there are issues that the Car manufacturer has to deal with and that there have been enough concerns among the users.

I still like my Verona!!! Only hope that there are no further issues!!. I will keep you posted.
    "Don't let the problems discourage you from suzuki's, as many other brands had or have problems also. No one car maker has a perfect car."

Your right, no one makes a perfect car. KC has said "Well if you take away the ECM issues, that accounts for most of the problems with the car". He may very well be right, but as shown with Verona YTD sales - people are not very forgiving. This is a highly competitive business, and when people read about the ECM issue it scares them. So the vast majority will look elsewhere to spend their money.