Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• dkuhajdadkuhajda Posts: 487
    An evaporative system small leak is most often related to the gas cap leaking. Could have been not tightened all the way or a worn or damaged gasket. It also can occur when a rock hits through one of the evaporative lines going from the fuel tank to the canister.

The evaporative system leaks usually just take one days worth of searching to find if they are not the common areas.

You didn't by chance just fill up with gas?
  • I’ve been a lurker on this board almost since its inception. In fact, the initial reactions to the Verona influenced, in part, my decision to buy a 2004 EX. After 17 months of repeated service trips to the dealer, I finally traded the Verona with 17,000 on the odometer.

The problems included erratic outside temp reading, erratic fuel gauge readings, broken window regulator, replaced interior door panel, replaced two leather seat covers. A CD player going to the beginning of the track if the car was shut off (made books on CD a real joy!). A transmission that surged between 50 and 60 miles per hour, particularly when coming off of throttle. The climate control that seemed to only work the air conditioning (for heat you had to set the temp to 85 degrees). Steering wheel radio controls that would intermittently "Mute" the radio. Even after reflashing, numerous CELs that kept coming back and service never explained. And I could go on.

The last service visit was the final straw. After having the car for over two weeks, service informed me they had replaced the cats, the spark plugs were oil soaked, and they found oil in the throttle body. Of course, no explanation. I get into the car and the brake pedal goes almost to the floor and solenoid that releases the gear shift lever is making a thumping noise as the foot brake is applied. Left the car in service and traded for a Subaru Legacy GT.

Sadly, the Verona was a great idea, but poorly executed and supported. Best to all those that got good ones.
  • mm9351mm9351 Posts: 72
    I certainly can understand your frustrations, bear in mind many of the symptoms you describe were voiced by other owners. Just to comment, I've noticed the outside temp reading anomaly and the intermittent mute on the audio system. The CEL's are a nuisance. I've just reset this on my 04 EX. Incidentally, the CD track reset is not a malfunction, that's the way it works. Annoying, yes. But after nearly 2 years of daily driving, I've not experienced the oil soaked plugs and throttle body...yikes!...and the release solenoid sounds like something service screwed up. Question: who changed your oil, and can you confirm the grade...e.g 5-30; 10-30? Curious minds would like to know!

BTW, my local Suzuki dealer also sells Subaru's and I was admiring one yesterday...they seemed a little pricy...over $37K? Didn't examine too closely.

Good luck with your new Legacy, let us know how you like it.
  • nace818nace818 Posts: 140
    Hi everyone,Well I'm about to turn 50,00 miles and I still love this car. I've had one problemm with the tapping noise but it was fixed to my satisfaction to as new or better. If the 2007 looks as godd as it sounds, I'll definitely buy another. I sure would like to see a picture of it. P.S. This post is especially for Chuck who seems to have an extraordinary hatred for Suzuki.
  • Optimisim fading! :(

My second attempt at Verona ownership has also turned sour. While on a flat stretch of highway, my cruise ran away from me, climbing ten miles an hour before I finally shut it down by tapping the brakes. This happened a few days after my fuel filler door release broke.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    "This post is especially for Chuck who seems to have an extraordinary hatred for Suzuki."

See post 1407. It's his second Verona.......and he is having problems already. He just bought this car. It can't have very many miles on it.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    The only Subaru over $37K is the Tribeca, with the Outback wagons up to about $36.3 in top trim (3.0R VDC, Navigation).

~alpha
  • Last month I bought a new 2004 LX Verona at a great price ($12.9K). After two separate trips between Denver and Salt Lake, I'm very satisfied, all seems to work perfect (I know, time will tell). I guess I should be impressed having driven a Saturn SL2 for the past 9 years.

Question, what is the difference between the AUTO climate control setting and MANUAL (or AUTO off)? With the temp set in either mode, doesn't the system work to match the set temp? The manual doesn't seem to explain this very well.
    The AUTO setting not only controls the interior setpoint temperature you've selected, but also adjusts fan speed and mode of air delivery (e.g. floor, vent, defrost, etc.) There are two sensors, one at the base of the windshield adjacent to the alarm status LED and one on the dashboard. As the HVAC system closes in on the setpoint, the fan speed will automatically decrease, and then mode will change to maintain the settings. The AUTO setting also automatically selects OUTSIDE air and RECIRCULATED air. Watch what happens when you sit at a traffic light and then begin to accelerate when the light turns green. The recirc mode will change to outside air. This is a sophisticated system on par with more expensive cars.
  • Thank you for the details on the AUTO setting!

What happens with AUTO off? If AUTO is off, and I adjust the temp to a particular setting, what happens?

Thanks in advance for your response!
    From your post, I suspect that you are confused by the OFF button. This is NOT the "Auto-Off" button! It is the SYSTEM OFF button; it shuts off the climate control system completely. When you press the OFF button, the display still shows the temperature, but the fan blower is off. You can then manually control the fan speed and air mode. This is true manual mode. When you press AUTO, all you need to do is dial in the desired temperature, then the control system does the rest: it automatically adjusts fan speed and opens / closes dampers to maintain interior temperature. For more economical operation, you can press the A/C button to turn off the "snowflake" indicator, that will shut off the compressor. This is not recommended for defrost, please note you need to have the compressor on for the front defrosters to work properly. Hope this helps.
  • My confusion is as follows:

With AUTO off (as you say, the system is off and therefore in "manual" mode), you can still rotate the main control and change the temperature up or down on the LCD display. Turning the temp up will output more heat, and turning the temp down will produce cooler air (Again, AUTO is OFF). So it seems to me that something is working in the car to "meet" or "reach" the manually set temp, though maybe not as sophisticated as the "AUTO" or SYSTEM ON setting.
    Therefore, it seems to me that I really do not know the actual internal temperature, only what is desired by the manual or AUTO setting.

Thank you again for taking the time to entertain my ingorance!
    Lawson: I don't think you quite understand the difference between AUTO and MANUAL and OFF. Pressing the OFF button does not mean that you are in MANUAL mode. The temp display you are looking at is merely the setpoint, not actual cabin temperature. It displays ALL THE TIME, whether or not the system is on or off.

Let me try to explain it another way. Press the AUTO button and dial in the temperature, say 80 degrees on a cold morning. The blower will automatically turn on and dampers will open and close as needed to get the cabin to 80 degrees. (The control system is designed not to blow cold air until the engine warms up, so the blower will not go to max right away). Since the cabin is really at something like 30 degrees, the control system looks at the difference between the actual and setpoint temperatures, and the blower will go to max speed. As the cabin warms up, the blower speed will diminish. This is known as proportional control. If you OVER-RIDE the AUTO setting, by manually adjusting the blower and / or MODE, note that the AUTO indicator will go off: NOW you are truly in MANUAL.

Again, when the system OFF, the blower is also OFF, you are NOT in manual. Dialing in a temperature when the system is OFF does absolutely nothing!!!

I hope that this clarifies the operation of the climate control system. Anybody else care to comment?
    Can anyone tell me where the cabin air filter is located and how much of a job it is to change it? I have searched the owner's manual and just cannot seem to even find the location, much less how to change it. Thanks in advance for info.
  • Check page 3-20 and 3-21 of the owners manual.
    1. Raise the hood
    2. Peel back the hood weatherstrip from the
    passenger's side of the vehicle halfway to center.
    3. Remove the three (3) clips and the access panel
    ( black plastic cover )
    4. Remove the old passenger compartment air filter.
    5. Then reverse the steps to install the new air filter.

A WIX cabin filter Part # 24906 is about $20.00 available from NAPA Auto Parts.
    Hope this helps,
    Ken...... Veronaowner
  • Found the paper work where I purchased the Cabin air filter on 11/08/05 from NAPA and the NAPA # is 4906 and cost was $23.39. Also purchased a Air intake filter
    NAPA # 2838, and cost was $14.29. Both items are easily installed.
    Hope this helps,
    Ken......Veronaowner
    Thanks for the info. I've had the filter for about 2 months but have never gotten around to installing it. With your info, maybe I'll get around to doing it now. Thanks again.
    By the way, I got a front end bra from BuyAutomotive.com. Looks great. You other owners should consider it.
  • rasuprasup Posts: 136
    Hi,
    I found this link on the web. Could this be the 2007 Verona?. Comments??
    http://www.auto-report.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1268&
  • pizardpizard Posts: 45
    I have had my Verona EX for just over 1.5 years. Some of the engine hesitation problems have been correct and the shop fixed a leaking gasket.

Recently, the rubber on the door pull on the passenger door and on the door opener on the driver side has started peeling off. On the driver door, there is a worn spot on the leather. I've also got to take it in because of belt squeaking when it's cold out until the engine has warmed up.

Anyone else having this interior issues? I don't expect these kind of issues on a car thats less than 2 years old.

Thanks