Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• ntk1ntk1 Posts: 57
    some weeks ago I posted details of an engine hesitation problem at medium throttle acceleration levels on the LGT MT. A number of other owners experienced the same (RSQ et al).
    The dealership couldn't detect the problem - I now understand that this was probably due to the busy road/traffic conditions they used around the dealership location not really allowing them to exercise the car fully. I have searched a number of sites and have established that this problem is not unique to the 3 or 4 people mentioning it at this board (even one journalist auto tester seemed to have exactly the same problem as me and was not too complimentary). I have 1500 on the ODO now and the problem is not getting any better so here is my plan - at the end of August I have to visit a certain middle East country to help sort some problems out for Mr Bush. I will let a senior mechanic at the Subaru dealer use my car for a week so that he can experience the problem himself and hopefully start running some diagnostic testing. When I return I will post my findings, in the mean time if anybody hears anything on this subject on a different board please notify me
    Pete
  • lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    Granted that this is the 2004 and that the 05 has a lower center of gravity despite it's higher profile, but it strikes me that this info still has some relevance--not the least for those who are driving the previous generation. It also strikes me that it's worth looking into the extent to which the new version has lowered the center of gravity, and I still think that one has to accept these tests (just like the side impact tests and braking info) as saying -something- worth knowing, particularly given Subaru's desire to position itself in the "safe car" segment of the market. How -much- one wants to rely on the info is obviously up to the individual.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Pete: sounds like a good idea. I'm glad they agreed to do that more thorough check/test.

-juice
    Depends on how you read those rollover ratings. The 2004 Outback is about only half as likely to roll as that Toyota pickup.

For anyone that puts this as a high priority, I suggest the VDC model, or any car with at least stability control.

-juice
  • frankwfrankw Posts: 22
    Actually, I also bought mine on 6/30, so maybe you should be congratulating me too! ;-)

Congratulations, Tom!

On another topic, here in Santa Fe we are in a restricted water usage regime. I believe we may not wash cars at home and may only go to a commercial car wash once per month. On the other hand, usually the only dirt that gets on the car is a very fine light brown dust. What do those of you who use clay, Klasse, etc. recommend for this situation?

Frank
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Posts: 1,760
    take my most demanding use of my cars. accelerating into 2 lanes of 60mph traffic with no acceleration lane, uphill and water/snow is usually in this area.

now take your fast mustang and my fxt and lets see who can get up to speed.

these guys think that everyone is driving in SoCal type conditions.

now that is just straight line, now get a wet curvy road and any subie takes the mustang.

and what about at high altitudes when those NAs lose there punch, let alone a gravel type road. i love these 15 minutes of edit time....

heck look what mike, paisan, does in his old old subaru against the high power cars on the track...
    You forgot "at high altitudes", where non-turbos are wheezing and losing power.

-juice
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    aren't those rating based on mathematical calculations?

If they are derived from real world testing, how do they come up with percentiles like 15.9, 12.1, etc...? Also, if they are physically testing for rollover, how could they know it will roll with those training wheels in the way?

It will take alot of bad luck, throw in bad road condition(s) and terrain(s), to roll the OB.

-Dave
    It will take alot of bad luck, throw in bad road condition(s) and terrain(s), to roll the OB.

yeah juice didnt even roll one at las vegas....
    But my grunting happened in a Legacy GT. ;-)

They had an off road course for the Outback but it was closed until the following day, we were BUMMED about that.

-juice
    but with all of this rollover talk, why dont they have a rollover impact test? i mean if the bloody roof collapses like a beer can, its has to offset the side impact results.

so if subaru aced the rollover and the rav4 pancakes, big advantage subaru
    If it's certified as a car, by default it has to meet the government standard of being able to withstand 150% of the weight of the car on its roof.

Trucks don't have to.

Doesn't mean they don't, only that they are not required to.

Given the Legacy meets those standards, there is no reason to think the Outback would not. RAV4, who knows, maybe, maybe not.

-juice
  • moutbackmoutback Posts: 39
    How about NHTSA, IIHS, and Consumer Reports creating a task force to conduct a rollover side-impact test initiated by an offset crash? Of course, the 5-mph bumper test should be incorporated too.

Seriously, the media's reporting of the Outback getting the "worst" rating for the % chance of a rollover is misleading. A 15.5% chance of rollover for the Outback is still better than the Pilot, Murano, and the XC90.
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    juice-

I'll lean towards "Not" as in will not hold up.

Sometime last year or early this year, there was an accident I'd read in the papers about a vehicle rolled over with a baby being the lone survival, parents crushed. That SUV looked like a convertible upside down. I think, IIRC, it was a RAV4.

-Dave
    CR wants the government to do a dynamic rollover test, that would be more significant that static measures that can't account for things like stability control.

For instance, the VDC has a moonroof and might rate worse than a base Outback since that puts more weight up high, but the stability control makes it much less likely to roll over, virtually impossible I'd guess.

-juice
  • subefansubefan Posts: 5
    I have been reading this forum since april 04.I learned alot of info here. Nice to join the subaru family.I bought my 1st,a 95 Leg L wgn used in 98 w/42,000 on it,now at 186,000 this car still runs excellent,body is good.Only maint done was rotors,pads,calipers,struts,battery,tires,oil,plugs and wires,all else original.That said,now comes the good part.I just traded a 02 neon(before its worth nothing)on a black 05 obxt wgn 5eat w/package 1(sec,auto-dim),air filt,mats,deflector,and locks on 7/22(2200miles ago)for 29,000 out the door(doc,tax,title)inc.Had 42 miles on the odometer,37 of which were mine when I test drove in june.Considering the 390.00 N.E. fee, seemed like a good deal. didn't use my vip program. This car or truck is incredible smooth,quiet,powerful, big diff from my 95 2.2. I'm avg. 24.6mpg. 90% highway. in maine everything is a ride, miles rack up quick. This is actually my wife's car(lol), but I drive every chance I get(I'll go to the store honey!). I'd recommend this car to anyone in this class. Keep up the good work. This site is invaluable for anyone who owns a subaru. Thanks for listening, Gary
    A belated congrats and a first welcome, Gary.

Now, can we talk you into using a few paragraphs? :o)

Some white space makes it easier to read.

-juice
    Absolutely

thanks for the info -gary
    So it's an XT, but not a Limited model, right?

5EAT, black, nice.

-juice
    Right,XT,not limited
  • expy02expy02 Posts: 23
    Brent,

What is the story about these coupons? My dealer said I can only get the free maintenance if I go for the 39 month balloon finance plan.

Thanks, Ray
  • expy02expy02 Posts: 23
    Pete,

Good Luck on your Middle East trip. If you get a chance say hello to my son. You can find him commanding a CAAT platoon. Currently they have a "religious" building and adjoining cemetery surrounded with their HumVees in beautiful downtown Najaf. When he returns next spring he gets the Acura CL I am replacing with the GT Ltd I have on order.

Ray
  • movedormovedor Posts: 65
    I test drove OB XT MT this weekend. This car is awesome. It has so much torque that you can practically get the car in movement just using the clutch, no need to press gas at all. The interior is so much better than previous incarnations that I couldn't believe I was actually inside of an OB.

But... well, nothing is perfect. In the past I refused to buy the OB because I found then 4 cyl engine not up to the task to haul this car. I just couldn't get any good acceleration. Then came the 6 cyl OB, but that was AT only, which I didn't want. Now finally the OB of my dreams is here, but at $29000! Yes, I can get it somewhere at invoice price if I'm lucky, but even at $27000 and no memory seats and no MP3 is a no go. I really need memory seats because I'm 6'5" and my wife is 5'9", and I can't just enter the car without having first to put the seat all the way back.

I guess I have to wait for 2006 model and see if it at least comes with memory seats as an option. MP3 actually is a nice to have.
  • mylegacymylegacy Posts: 38
    free maintenance & FREE oil changes for life of ownership.

Dealer close to me offering FREE oil changes for life of ownership (on new vehicle purchases), a lower Washington State tax rate, and complimentary delivery of your vehicle to any location in the State of Washington.

any of you getting free oil change for life?

thanks
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    mylegacy:

Please realize that anything advertised as "FREE" only means that you won't pay for it at that time. Those "FREE" oil changes and maintenance are paid for by YOU in your purchase price of the vehicle. If you pay less up front, they probably wouldn't claim to be giving you something for nothing later.

My advice... educate yourself about actual costs, then negotiate your best vehicle purchase price. It will probably be lower at dealers not claiming to offer "FREE" oil changes.
  • ntk1ntk1 Posts: 57
    Ray

I probably won't get much further than camp slayer or camp victory in Baghdad due to the nature of my work but if your son swings through BIAP the week of the 23rd let me know - we have our own private camp at the airport with more than the usual facilities available

Best wishes and stay safe

Pete
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    movedor: The 2.5 turbo is a torque monster with a very broad and flat range. However, getting a car rolling with just the clutch is do-able even with smaller engines. I used to do that with my 98 Forester all the time in bumper to bumper traffic.

mylegacy: The dealers in my area offer free oil changes for life. On top of that, they also include other maintenance items up to the 30K service for free. And, the dealer I bought my Legacy from sold it to me for about 2% over invoice.

Ken
  • goneskiiangoneskiian Posts: 381
    Ken - Yes, there is a bit of a difference. I think I know which dealership you're referring to. Would it be Eastside Subaru in Kirkland? I bought my GT Limited Wagon there and so far have had a very pleasant experience. There are, of course, quite a few rules you have to follow to get the free oil changes but I figure it's worth a try. Besides, now I've got the free maintenance coupons from Subaru to fall back on/use for the extra stuff. ;-)

As for the difference between the free maintenance and the free oil changes. The difference occurs at the higher mileage services. I can't remember if it's the 15K or 30K but up there you'll start to need other stuff done besides having the oil changed.

You could probably just get the Subaru Master Card from Chase to take care of the extra stuff.

Cheers!
    -Ian
  • frankwfrankw Posts: 22
    It's not a magazine but here's a positive review of the 2005 Legacy from MSN's auto site. He doesn't give 8/10 very often.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/jedlicka.aspx?make=Subaru&m- odel=Legacy
    movedor: check out an XT that isn't a limited, and just get an aftermarket stereo for a couple hundred bucks. You'd only be giving up the memory seat. Nobody's perfect!

Free oil changes are so that you frequent that dealer, then they're more likely to get your service dollars for profitable stuff like the 30k and 60k service. Plus it keeps you going back and looking at their new models.

-juice