Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Wish I could, that's not even a pipe dream right now since we're house poor for a while. We should recover in a year or two, though.

Honestly if one of my cars blew up right now I think I'd be stuck with just one car for a while, at least.

-juice
  • cbellcbell Posts: 11
    If you extrapolate from the current tuning options for the Forester XT, the most notable thing is the (wait for it) "area under the curve". In this comparison, peak torque moved down about 1,000 RPM. All of that extra low-down grunt is what you'll really notice in daily driving, especially with the 5EAT. -cheers, cbell
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    stated that Subaru redesigned the brake booster to reduce play and increase firmness.

Greg
    Yeah, peak torque is at 3600rpm, that's pretty early. Actually a lot earlier than it is for the non-turbo.

We'll have to start talking about non-turbo lag. LOL

-juice
  • jim1969jim1969 Posts: 62
    Could anyone tell me what the invoice is on this car? I live in Long Island,NY. I have an idea from this site and cars101.com but they have different costs. My dealer wants $500+invoice. I want to be sure of what invoice is. Thanks.
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Try Edmund's New Car Prices. Just scroll to the top of the screen and click on the appropriate tab.

You'll also get TMV pricing which will give you an idea of what folks are actually paying in your area.

Wow, I'm starting to sound like a Town Hall Host!

Ken
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Posts: 1,760
    have a street full of subarus in front of the condo???
    The funny thing is our daughter is booked in so many camps this summer that we've only gone there a couple of times!

-juice
  • rsq798rsq798 Posts: 35
    I've noticed the same stutter. I thought maybe it was a problem with my particular car but I see others are feeling it also so maybe I won't worry about it as much for now. If anybody figures this out, I too would love to know the reason behind it also.
    Anybody else buy a GT Ltd in New England? My dealer offered $400 "over invoice," which turned out to be another ~$400 over "true invoice." When questioned, they said that Subaru of New England charged its dealers a little more, including at least a couple hundred dollar fee. That reminded me of the $275 advertising fee that was mentioned in http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2005.html#price, and I still got it for $27.5 after dest. charge so I wasn't really complaining.
    SoNE does have different pricing vs. SoA for the rest of the country. A strange little monopoly they have for distribution in the NE.

-juice
    Another thing, I had told the dealer that I had just joined IMBA a couple months ago (which was true) and that I was just as willing to wait another 4 months to get the car at invoice than pay too much right now (which was also true). Later on, the dealer said that their "invoice" of ~$400 over true invoice ($26,763 for manual GT Ltd) was in fact the VIP program price.

Another tidbit as I saw this question asked earlier, the dealer said that normally they get another $300 back from Subaru for selling a car on the VIP program. So they were making about as much on me as if I had gone through the VIP program.
    That's good to know. In that case, one would think that KBB, NADA, Edmunds, etc., would be able to tell you the localized invoice given that we input our area codes?
    Now that is true, VIP cars do end up with a small credit to the dealer from Subaru. I hadn't heard the amount until now, though.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    The reason we are getting the 5EAT is two fold, one because my wife has this problem of wearing three inch heels to work every day and to she doesn't want to learn how to drive one.

Is she a dancer? Hee Hee ;)

-mike
  • rsorganizersorganize Posts: 131
    Got my 3.0R OB Ltd. Wagon (VDC) for $300 over the invoices I saw on Edmunds and other places. (Fair trade-in value, too.) Stacy Subaru in Brattleboro Vt.
  • goneskiiangoneskiian Posts: 381
    And this is just with their stage 1 power package (an ECU reflash to you and me)!

Here's a link to their info about this package:

http://cobbtuning.com/forester/power-s.html#stage1

I think their Legacy GT reflash and exhaust should easily get you upwards of 300 hp maybe more (their claiming 280 for the Forester XT Stage 2 package).

BTW, I just got my oil changed at 1177 miles. The service advisor looked at me a bit funny and tried to explain that having the oil changed after the first 1000 miles was out dated advice and that new cars don't need this done. Maybe he's right, but I feel it's better to be safe than sorry. Besides, I won't have to pay for any more oil changes as they offer a program of free oil changes for life with a new car purchase. ;-)

Cheers!
    -Ian
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Ian,

It is better safe than sorry. I will probably be changing the oil at 1000 miles myself.

Ken
  • ntk1ntk1 Posts: 57
    Ian
    I thought I read somewhere that overly frequent oil changes on a new engine could slow down the bedding in process ? I think that practice stopped when new engines shedded metal fragments into the oil.
    I am interested to hear you appear to have the same stutter/hesitation problem as me, I intend to wait until the 1000 miles run in period has passed and then take a visit to the dealer - has anyone else noticed this ? Patti any news/advice

Pete
  • jchagtdijchagtdi Posts: 55
    There is the true invoice, which is what the dealer pays for the car, but dealers must also pay a compulsory advertising fee. Carsdirect.com's "invoice price" is actually invoice + ad fee.

In case anyone in New England was wondering, Subaru of New England is owned by the Boch "Automile" family. In 1999, Boch's Subaru distribution firm was sued by several Subaru dealers, claiming the cars it provided were padded with unwanted options to boost profits at their expense. The company and Boch disputed the allegations. The suit, filed at U.S. District Court in Concord, N.H., has yet to go to trial.