Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    I was afraid I would get annoyed at having to adjust the power seats (my wife is 5'4", I'm 6') versus the speed of the manual in my other cars. However, the speed is balenced by not having to reach so far down and into the car to adjust my seat. I've learned to prefer the power seats. I also like being able to adjust on the fly and still have full control over the car.
  • smillersmiller Member Posts: 32
    For now I like the power seat. On a long trip I can make minor adjustments to get a little more comfortable. (The owners manual says you shouldn't but..)
    However motors and switches wear out and I have to wonder how long will they will last.
    When it breaks you are stuck with the last setting
    until it gets repaired.
    It would be great if it had a manual override
    control.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,716
    I just press a button when I open the door of my wife's car, and the seat goes back to exactly where I had it the last time...

I'd rather have manual seats, than power with no memory... But, I can live with it, either way..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    I've gotten around it altogether. Our '96 is the first vehicle where we both drive it regularly, so after several episodes of readjusting and trying to get the setting *just* right, I finally just told her to put it where she likes it, and I adapted to her setting. Now all we have to do is readjust the rearview mirror and driver's side view; those are a snap.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Don't you end up driving all crooked? ;-)

-juice
    A little, but I got used to it after a while. If the OB was a manual, I would probably move the seat back more to get a better angle on the clutch. I'm fairly adaptable; I'm one of those people who can borrow someone's vehicle and leave the seat situated as the other person had it so they don't have to fix it afterwards (unless I'm going on a long trip!). The only thing I cannot tolerate is when I get in the driver's seat and the seat back is practically lying on the rear seat behind me! I plan to drive when I'm behind the wheel, not sleep!

I always chuckle when I let someone shorter than me use my car, then have to move the seat FORWARD when I go to use it again. I'm 72" and my wife is 65"ish. Why would someone shorter than me need to move the seat back? Eh, everyone has their own preferred driving position. The most common I encounter is the "I can barely reach the pedals, but I'm cool" position.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    I thought I would like the power seat in the 03 Outback, but found it is a total nusiance. My wife pulls the seat so far forward, that I cannot physically get in the car until I move the seat. Which usually leaves me standing in the rain, waiting for the seat to move. One option, I learned that I could live without.

Who knew this topic would get so much discussion. LOL! Rob M.
  • andrewkandrewk Member Posts: 59
    "...reliability issues on these electrical motors? ....I want to make sure that I'm not replacing one (or more) of these motors every couple of years...."

I used to have the same apprehension with power windows. I have had several of them go bad in previous cars. So when I bought a new, full-size truck back in '99, I specifically sought manual window; and in time, I grew to despise them! I now have an '05 2.5i OBW with power windows and power seat, and enjoy them both!

Just my $.02 worth.
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    They should make powerseats with manual over-ride. For those "now" moments that you want the seat to slide back or fore instead "ne ne ne ne ne ne ne ne ne ne" as xwesx put it.

-Dave
    I know exactly from where you are coming, Andrew. For a small car, manual windows can be a nice feature because there is less chance of having a problemm and you can reach the passenger side window without too much effort. But, for a full size pickup or van, there is not a whole lot of a chance to operate them from the driver's seat...

My father has a Hyundai something or other. XG350? Whatever is the company's "luxury" car. I was impressed by it: great power, nice ride, handling, etc. One thing about which I was surprised though, was the driver's seat. When I first sat down in the vehicle, I couldn't believe that my Dad (who is two inches shorter) could possibly drive the car with the seat as far back and low as it was. I tried to adjust it, but, of course, it was all motorized and did not respond to my fiddling with the controls. I gave up and started the car. As soon as the car was turned on, the seat started moving and within about 5 seconds had repositioned the seat to where my Dad actually set it. When I turned the car off, it quickly moved all the way back and down.

That was a very interesting feature; it certainly does away with the problem of not being able to get into the car until the seat is moved (as Rob relayed). And, according to my Dad, the car has 3 memory settings for the seat that can determine the driver by weight. If the weight is not recognized, it goes to a "neutral" setting and can be adjusted from there. I am almost exactly the same weight as my Dad, so I am not sure if his claim is accurate, but if not, I can see getting into the car after a "small" person drove it and being shoved into the dashboard! Ouch....

That would be a good anti-theft feature, though. Hehe.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I see power seats w/o memory as a good excuse to get another vehicle just for the S.O.! ;-)

Ken
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    My SIL's 300M had the feature that moved the seat back a few inches when the key was removed and the door opened.. Upon starting the car, the key told the vehicle what seat position to use.

She's 5-1, my BIL is 6-2.
  • tmontytmonty Member Posts: 16
    Hi guys,

Thank You all for your feedback. Who knew this topic was going to get this kind of traction? So, if I hear you correctly, ....

a/ Don't sweat it. Power seats are reliable.
    b/ No memory means endless adjustments to get it right.
    c/ In time, slow seat movement will become annoying.

Bottom line... a reliable, but limited-value feature.

Tom
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    my OB 2001 power seat still works. no replacement needed
  • ssmintonssminton Member Posts: 155
    I had my first experience with the VDC system the other day. I am actually quite surprised that I have been driving it so long without having ever engaged the system. Here goes the scenario...

I was driving on a wet (melting snow) covered two-lane mountain road that I was unfamiliar with. As I came up a slight incline, I saw a sign for a sharp left turn ahead. As I came up and over the slight hill, I hit the brakes to slow down for the sharp turn. What I could not see at the time is that the road was covered with ice just on the downward side of the hill as the road began the turn. It ended up that I hit the brakes just as I drove over the ice/snow patch while cornering. The car immediately began to skid to the side. Very quickly I could feel quite a shudder with the car making direction corrections as necessary. In the end, I stayed on the road! I thought for sure I was going into the guard rail on the outside of the turn (fortunately I wasn't too worried because it was covered in snow). Although I did skid and things were scary for a few seconds, the VDC system kept me within the lines. I am very impressed with the system capability and response in this situation... well worth the money!
  • snowbirdsnowbird Member Posts: 120
    Good for you! Were you on snow tires by any chance?
  • xsubaruonrxsubaruonr Member Posts: 4
    I owned a 2005 Legacy GT wagon and a 2005 Legacy 2.5i wagon, both had antifreeze smells that made me sick. The dealer acted like it was an overflow or the radiator cap was loose.

I have read many other complaints about this same issue.

Subaru better get there act together since they now want to be in the 'upscale' market and dis all of the middle class buyers.

Long story short, I sold both and will never go back to Subaru, it's a shame.
  • antrowantrow Member Posts: 7
    Greetings,

I purchased a 2005 Outback XT in November to replace
    my leased 2002 Saab Aero Wagon. I test drove every station wagon in the $30K price range available at the time and thought the Subaru was the best.

I have only driven the car 800 miles since I purchased it and already I am staring to think about a replacement car. A few of my dislikes are the gas mileage, jerky shifting transmission, lack of steering wheel audio controls, lack of rear hatch release from inside the car, lack of power seat memory and no satellite radio or MP3 option. I didn't think these things would bother me as much as they have. I have a 2004 Nissan Murano that has more features, gets better gas mileage, is more comfortable to be in and cost just about the same amount . I almost wish I would have gotten a second one of those.

I guess the real kicker for me has been the poor dealer service. The day after purchasing the car I noticed that there was a large defect in the drivers door glass that was only visible during the day. The dealer ordered the replacement glass and installed it two weeks later. When I went to pick up the car I was shocked to see that they ripped up the vinyl on the door panel and scratched all the silver plastic. They apologized and ordered a new door panel. About four weeks later I had the new door panel installed. This time when I went to pick up the car I noticed that the replacement panel they ordered was cloth and not leather like the rest of the door panels. Again they apologized and said a new door panel would be ordered. I called four weeks later to find out that the second door panel was never ordered as promised.

Here we are almost four months later and I just now have an appointment to get the second replacement door panel installed. I think the entire experience has been crappy and that is making owning the car even less enjoyable.

I have my eye on the 2006 VW Passat Wagon. I will probably loss my shirt trading the Outback in after only a year but I think that is what will likely happen. If Subaru wants to play in the near luxury market I think they will need to make some serious improvements.
  • sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    Sorry to hear about your troubles.

But if you want a trouble free car and good dealer service, you should stay away from VW!!!

BTW: I don't understand about the latch release. The latch unlocks when you unlock the doors, what else do you need?

Sly
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    The Passat 2006 wagon is a delayed release. AFAIK it will be in dealer stock about one year from now. AND why would you go down-market in reliability? I traded a Passat W8 wagon for a Legacy H-6 VDC wagon in November of last year after multiple electrical failures that were disabling in nature. These failures were in addition to the bad coils recall.

Sorry to hear about the less-than-competent Subaru dealer.
    Glad to hear about the performance of the VDC system.

Mileage will improve as it breaks in, 800 miles is way too green to be any indication of what you'll be getting, say, at 15k miles.

-juice
  • david55838david55838 Member Posts: 55
    Juice and anyone else -

What kind of mileage should I be expecting on a broken in XT? I've got about 1500 miles on mine. When do you think it should be properly 'broken in' from a mileage standpoint?

Antrow - sorry about your idiotic dealer.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I would be interested to hear how many people get improved mileage as their vehicles break in. I have never had a vehicles mileage change as it breaks in.

Karl
    complain to SoA about the dealer & move on to next dealer.

It seems like your problem was with the dealer & not the product.

I really doubt you can buy Murano with all these features at same price as XT LTd.
    I purchased my VDC in July 2005. I currently have 16,500 miles on the car and am riding on factory tires. I have read the complaints on the OEM tires, but I really have not had a problem. I find the best weapon for snow driving is the manual mode on the automatic transmission. This feature allows me to truly control traction. The nice thing is that when I fail, I am now confident that the VDC system takes care of it! I spend more time driving on snow covered pavement than dry during the winter. I have owned numerous Ford Explorers and a Honda Pilot over the past 10 years. This is by far the best snow driving car of the bunch! The Pilot was the worst. It got great mileage, actually better than the Subaru, but the "automatic" 4WD was sketchy in the challenging conditions. I much prefer full time AWD. My V8 Explorer had full time AWD too, and I would say that it performed better than the traditional 4WD version.

For my VDC tires, I do not intend to replace them until I start to have trouble. I will most likely replace them with a Michelin equivalent when the time comes.
    I will complain to SOA if they can't get the door fixed this coming week. You are most likely correct about the dealer being a big part of the issue and we do have another close to our home that I will try for future service. Still I think the product could use some improvment in content considering it's near luxury price.

As for the Murano, I purchased my 2004 SL AWD with the premium package that including Leather, Bose and Xneon for $31,300 and I paid $30,300 for the Outback XT premium automatic. I think the extra $1K on the Murano was well spent considering it has way more features.

As for the other post regarding the VW Passat, you all are right, VW has a bad reputation and that is why I didn't even test drive the 2005 Passat when I was shopping for a replacement wagon. I even told the sales girl at our local Mega lot that had the Saab, Subarus and VWs that I would consider one because I don't want a car that is in the shop more the on the road. But here I am running back and forth with the Subaru. I think the pictures of the 2006 Passat in this months car magazines had me foaming at the mouth from a design perspective.
    Sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your new purchase. A couple things to consider...

1. If you find the XT Turbo to jerky, you may prefer the H6 model. As fun as I found the XT to drive, I decided on the H6 because I felt it was a more comfortable driving car.

2. Satellite Radio. I have been a XM user now for nearly 4-years (I participated in the San Diego test market in 2001). I had a reputable auto audio installer put it in my 2005 Outback. If it is professionally installed, it works and looks as good as a factory product. Cost has really come down too. My new gear cost about $150 and $100 for installation, much less than in 2001.

3. Gas mileage. A couple things to consider when comparing the gas mileage of your Outback to the Murano. My last car was a Honda Pilot, which has a similar AWD system as the Murano. The Murano is not full time AWD, it is part time. The good news is that this results in car-like MPG when the road are dry. The problem comes when the car senses slip and shifts in and out of AWD. I found this with the Pilot to result in poor performance, which is why after 2 years I made a change. My MPG on the Pilot was actually as good if not better than the Outback. However, in poor driving conditions, the MPG was terrible. This "part-time" sensing AWD system is a great compromise if you do not do a lot of poor weather driving. I found it to be unacceptable and unpredictable. So if MPG is your main concern, you may prefer a FWD with part-time AWD. I have a 2005 Outback VDC. I average 22-25 on the highway (with a Thule box)and 23-27 (without the box) and 18-20 around town. I also find that when my speed hits 75MPH and above, my mileage drops off real fast.

Give your Subaru a chance, you may end up liking it better than you think. If these other things are more important to you, get something you like.
  • rsorganizersorganize Member Posts: 131
    I'm at 21,000 with my VDC wagon. Frankly, mileage isn't great - maybe 19, mostly highway, cold weather. And, that's the problem! Almost always on the highway and I can't seem to drive below 80! When I was breaking it in, I was occasionally able to keep it around 70 for somewhat longer stretches. In these instances, I was able to get up to 23-24 mpg.

So, in answer to the query: don't really feel that my mileage improved after 'break-in'. Then again, my driving habits don't lend themselves to a useful case study.

BTW, agree on the heightened confidence driving with the VDC. Thought my wife's '03 Forester was outstanding in snow/on snow-covered roads. Methinks the VDC is superior.

Peace.
    Maybe I just need to get used to having to find the key fob when I need to open the hatch to let someone load stuff in back. You have to unlock both the drivers door and the passengers door to get the hatch to unlock. Generally speaking I just press the unlock once when I am driving alone.
    I had a friend rented a 2005 Outback for a trip and had the same smell issue. She ended up taking the car back and getting a Forester. Maybe that is the reason our local dealers already have so many used 2005 Outbacks with low miles on the lot.

I hope my Outback does not develop that issue !!!
    Just hit the unlock button in the driver's door and that will unlock ALL doors, including the rear hatch.

Sly
    Thanks for the feedback.

I wouldn't consider trading the XT for another Outback model but I do wonder if I should have gotten the L.L. Bean V6 instead of the XT. I got the XT because it had a 250 HP 4 cyl like the Saab it will replace. The Saab is wonderfully smooth and fast and gets about 6-9 miles better mpg. So far I have not gotten more the 19 MPG in the Subaru.

I tried to use my XM Roady with a FM transmitter in the Subaru but the sound quality was poor. I found the same to be true in the Saab using the FM transmitter but since the Saab had a cassett player I was able to use that adaptor and the sound was 100% better. If I keep the XT I will look into having the XM connected to the stereo. The dealer was not certain that it had an input availabe and revcommended the FM transmitter as their solution.

The Murano has been used it all this winter and we have found it to be fantasic in the snow. I have no complaints about the Murano or the service we have received at Nissan. I have recommended them to serveral friends.

Anyway, I will not complain about the Subaru for a while and see if it grows on me. I am trying my best to to keep cars for at least 3 years before considering getting a new one.
    I will try to remember to do that. I have to retrain myself with the placement of all the controls. Hate to sound like an idiot but my Saab had all the controls on the console between the seats. Now when I go to unlock the doors or lower the windows I am searching around the car like a fruitloop. Once I turn the Saab in and just drive the Subaru I am sure this issue will resolve itself. :-)
    OB XT can be bought for 28-29k now.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Sorry about your experience. But I think you will find your experience is the exception rather than the rule. It sounds like you have a problem with your dealer, not your car. You can't blame your car for a lame service department.

As someone who had a Passat wagon, it's no joy ride (ownership wise) and I will never buy another VW product again.

It sounds like you have buyers regret, but maybe you didn't buy the car you really wanted? It sounds like you would rather have bought another Murano. They really are two different animals. The XT will run circles around the Murano, dry, wet, or snow!

Yes it's lacking some amenities, but you can add an external mp3 source, satellite radio, and just so you know the Passat wagon doesn't have a rear hatch release button either! (just unlock the doors!) The steering wheel audio controls are available on the H6 models, which might be a little smoother than the turbo (but less fun!)

The transmission should adapt to your driving style over time- and most people who own the 5EAT would actually say it's quite smooth. Your mileage will improve some as the engine breaks in- figure 8-10k miles. (But again, it's a performance engine, so don't expect it to get hybrid mileage)

Anyway, sorry again you are unhappy with your ownership experience. I personally love my car- and as someone who has owned a lot of cars- I cannot say this about many of my purchases.

Good luck with your repairs. Maybe it's just a rough start that will improve over time!

tom
  • hoxhox Member Posts: 24
    Considering a GT Limited Wagon purchase. Does anyone one have either a GT or XT with the subwoofer/amp option installed from the factory? Does it make much difference with the stereo?

Anyone know more about 2006 upgrades???

Hox
    Yes the sub makes a big difference. In my opinion in transforms the stereo. In gives you much better, lower, firmer bass and cleans up the mid-range. Also allows to play louder.

You have to take the time to adjust it properly though. Mine was very badly adjusted.

Sly
    Is that price with the automatic?. The factory sticker on my car was $33,300.
  • mruebuschmruebusch Member Posts: 25
    well Antrow your not the only one with service problems...my dealer in cincinnati gave me wonderful sales experience but the service department was the worst i have ever had and that says alot since i've owned american cars. on the other hand i still love my 05 legacy gt ltd with auto trans. maybe you should talk with patty, i know i need too.
    I track my mileage on a chart. Basically I averaged 22 mpg the first year or so, but that steadily improved and my running average is now 25.1 mpg.

I think that's pretty significant, and it was not uncommon to hear similar stories from Subaru Crew members that have been around since '99 or so.

Besides break-in, there's also the novelty, perhaps, where you might be pushing a car harder when it's new, to see what it'll do.

But I tow, and we have 2 kids now (zero kids when I bought the Forester), so it's getting better mileage despite carrying more payload.

YMMV.

-juice
    yes, boston dealers are now offering close to 3 to 4k below MSRP.
  • hoxhox Member Posts: 24
    Sounds like some dealers are going below invoice on the outback xt. Is that right? What's the dealer holdback? Is Subaru providing an incentive to dealers at this time?

Hox
  • jsgnfwtxjsgnfwtx Member Posts: 17
    Friend, move with caution before buying a VW Passat. My 03 GLX wagon has been quite problematic in it's 43,000 miles of ownership. The Passat is very expensive to service: $55.00 for regular oil change and expensive services required at 20,000 and 40,000 mile intervals. It is a great car and the '06 promises to be even greater. Just be prepared to keep paying after buying. Fortunately, it comes with 50,000 mi warranty
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Hello all... How does gas mileage I am getting compare to others out there?

8 weeks today, just hit 5400 miles. During that time, probably 80% highway mileage. A lot of cold weather driving during that time. Here near Providence, RI to not way below zero, but that included a few long trips which av temp was just about 0.

Actual average mileage was 24.8. Difficult to say what the average mileage for that entire time per computer is, but I would imagine around 26 to 26.4.

At what mileage is a vehicle considered to have been "broken in"? Also, I would assume the cold weather has some sort of negative effect on the gas mileage as well, so hoping it will improve at least a few mpg. After all, I sacraficed quite a bit of power by not considering the turbo or the six.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Wow, that's great. I wish my 98 Auto OB had improved like that.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    antrow, that is really lousy dealer service. I had to pull the door panel off my XT to have a dent repaired, and the panel came off and went back on without any damage. I've said it before and will say it again -- dealer mechanics are generally barbarians with any sort of finesse work like this. I just don't trust them with any sort of body/interior work. What angers me is that they returned the car to you as if you would not notice the damage!! Definitely call SOA and report this -- they need to know about lousy service!

I love the 5EAT in my OB XT. In fact, it's probably the best auto transmission I have driven and finally one that does not make me miss manual. It shifts very smoothly and quickly in my opinion. Beleive it or not, the Subaru 5EAT shares some design features with the Nissan 5EAT, so I am wondering what's in your Murano...

Note that the Subaru 5EAT delays shifts when cold, in order to warm up faster. This may contribute to a jerky feel, but it disappears once warmed up.

I average 20mpg in my OB XT, but get 23mpg on highway trips if I am gentle on the accelerator and keep it at 70-75mph. I also have ski racks on. I used to drive a solid 80mph, but found a notable gas mileage penalty for doing so, and try to keep the speed down now.

The gas mileage is an annoyance on my ski trips -- I need to fill up the night before and then again on the ride back home, for a 350mile round-trip. I used to be able to make the whole trip on one tank in my 02 Outback LL Bean (with the previous 212HP H6) with gas to spare! The fuel cost of the XT does not bother me, but the gas stops do. I really wish the car had another 2-3 gallon capacity in the tank.

For XM, consider getting a wired-in FM modulator. I have one for my iPod and it works well. Any good stereo shop can install one. I tried the wireless FM transmitter, but it did not work well in my area (too many competing stations).

As far as unlocking the hatch -- either press the unlock button on the driver's door once, or press the (new for 05) hatch unlock button on the key fob. Personally, I am in the habit of nailing the keyfob unlock button twice when I approach the car, since I almost always have something to put in the hatch or the back seat.

Overall, I love my XT, but would like a larger gas tank, better (quieter) tires, memory seats, and a few other minor improvements. Even with these wants, this is my third Outback and the best one by a long shot.

Craig

p.s. My XT has always given a slight whiff of anti-freeze when I turn it off after pulling into the garage at night. It is very minor and I hardly notice it. I have not noticed any leaks, and the coolant level has not gone down since July when I bought the car. So I have a feeling it may just be fumes from the overflow tank.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Subaru 5EAT shares some design features with the Nissan 5EAT, so I am wondering what's in your Murano...

All Murano's have CVT transmissions. Not sure how many simulated "speeds" they have.

DaveM
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Not to mention $100 wiper blades! (they're quite special, though! they don't work as well as normal ones! ;-) )

I got rid of mine after a little over a year- that was enough for me.

tom
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    For the record, it was not an 'antifreeze' smell that pointed to our issue. It was simply a 'burning' smell, and when looking under the hood, the revelation was that there was anti-freeze all over the engine. Aside from yours, and a subsequent post, I have not heard any other complaints of this nature. Where have you read the complaints you cite? Aside from that particular incident, we never had any odd smells in our Legacy.

You state: "The dealer acted like it was an overflow or the radiator cap was loose." Ok, so thats what they 'acted like'. How did they actually wind up resolving your issues? At what point did you decide to sell both vehicles? Did you try to work with the dealership or manufacturer at all?

In our case, they did not 'dis' the middle class buyers, because the customer service of the Subaru of America corporation has been nothing short of incredible and worthy of a luxury marque. Although Im not happy that our Legacy had a serious issue, it was resolved in such a manner that has gone very far to mitigate any concerns regarding the vehicle. I posted all details of the entire process in post 6320, and we will certainly consider a Subaru for our next vehicle down the road.

-Joe
  • timo1745timo1745 Member Posts: 58
    Hey David-

When I bought my car in Aug, I was getting between 20 and 22 mpg. I just turned over 10k on my '05 XTL-5MT and even with studded snow tires with large lugs AND New Jersey's awful winter-time oxygenated fuel, I'm pulling approx 22-23 mpg in combined local/highway driving. I've noticed that if I cross the border into PA and fill up with their non-oxygenated fuel, I run around 23-24.5 with the same tires & driving conditions. I'm looking forward to seeing my mileage once spring comes and I can put my summer treads back on.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with the balance between performance and mileage on my XT.

Hope that helps,
    Tim G.