Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• Options
    bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    My mileage in the first 1K on my MT-XT was 17mpg and now with 4k has improved to 21-23mpg. My commute has one long climb, where I had to downshift in previous cars, and about 5 miles of San Francisco city traffic, which for me is all second gear 3-5K rpm blasts. I did notice a sharp increase in mileage, especially on extended highway driving, when I removed the roof racks with my surfboard pads attached. Considering the performance and size of the XT, and the way I drive, I'm very pleased with the XT's mileage. Heck, my wife's GX470, which has less room than my XT (with the exception of headroom), is lucky to get 15mpg.
  • Options
    fj60fj60 Member Posts: 28
    My wife's '03 Passat 4Motion has been very reliable and our local VW dealer has treated us well. I must agree VW service and parts are expensive ($45 oil change and a pair or the "aero" wiper blades are ridiculously priced at about $65). I'm not sure about Tom's model Passat, but my wife's wagon does have a remote hatch release on the door. I have a '05 GT Limited wagon and it is WITHOUT A DOUBT more satisfying to drive. Granted I'm comparing the VW auto tranny with the Subie short throw shifter, but 190hp vs 250hp is quite a difference!
  • Options
    jerae555jerae555 Member Posts: 1
    Hey,

I just bought a new 05' WRX sedan the other day. I noticed in a book at the dealer that i came with a premium stero system, including a subwoofer. I looked under the passenger seat, and there is a yellow coated wiring harness, but no subwoofer. Did the dealer take it out?? Im wondering if this is an option, or if it should come stock from the factory??
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  • Options
    sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    does anyone know of aftermarket NAV which would fit nicely into the 2005 models' NAV slot ?
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    does anyone know of aftermarket NAV which would fit nicely into the 2005 models' NAV slot ?

i tried my wife but she didnt fit.
  • Options
    MSN carpoint allows you to compare new models against old models. useful for me to see OB XT vs my 01 OB

http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?&c=0&n=3&i=0&t- - b=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=1&v=t99042&v=t92813&v=t1920
  • Options
    you never offer solutions but at least your comments are witty
  • Options
    tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Magellan makes a unit, the 300 IIRC, that I think fits. I have the Garmin unit that definitely doesn't fit. But actually, I like it on top of my dash- I can see it better and don't have to take my eyes so far from the road.

I have heard the Garmin units are a little easier to use than the Magellan ones, but that' just from what I've read.

tom
  • Options
    kublerkubler Member Posts: 7
    I have the Magellan RM700 and it would fit if you make an adapter that fits inside the compartment. I use the goose neck attached to the windshield that came with the unit.

The Magellan RM700 is the best unit as far as I am concerned. The same basic unit is used by Hertz "Never Get Lost" and is by far the most user friendly. I have used a Garmin and a PocketPC unit, but the RM 700 is much better.
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    you never offer solutions but at least your comments are witty

i have no silver bullets
  • Options
    i have navman icn630 which is pretty neat. but it will stick to windshield.
  • Options
    hoxhox Member Posts: 24
    Does anyone know what the improvements are on the 06 models? They will be out in less than 4 full months.

hox
  • Options
    tmontytmonty Member Posts: 16
    Hox,

Are you guessing that the '06s will be out in June or do you have it on good authority?

Tom
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    We should know something by the end of the month. That's when the NY auto show is.

Bob
  • Options
    Keep us posted. I'm thinking of buying an Outback before the summer... I may delay the purchase by a few weeks for an '06 or bring it up if there's any incentives on the '05s (doubt it)

Tom
  • Options
    they don't bring minor improvements to Auto shows. otherwise it will slow down the current year model prices.
  • Options
    Subaru historically has used the NY auto show to introduce the balance of their new upcoming new models. Maybe not all the new models; I don't expect to see the new Impreza there, as that is to be announced late in the summer I believe, but I do expect to see the '06 Forester, Legacy, Outback and Baja models.

Bob
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    And they did hold off on showing anything new at the Chicago show, which they usually show something new at (Outback XT last year, Forester XT previous year, etc.)

-Brian
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Should be big, since they delayed showing anything of substance in Chicago.

It's the last big auto show of this season, so we should see all the MY06 changes there is my guess.

-juice
  • Options
    dcabdcab Member Posts: 101
    When is the NY show?
  • Options
  • Options
    mark28mark28 Member Posts: 8
    Hi everyone,

I have been reading lots about the 2005 Legacy GT and am looking to get one. A few questions.
    1) Anobody from Calgary Alberta get one and what GOOD canadian sales price can one expect (given the list is ~$37500 CND for a 2005 GT wagon).

2)any concerns about the 2005 model being new and having reliability issues? Recalls? I do not know how past model introductions faired, although overall very reliable in the long run.

thanks
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    2) the only new piece of the powertrain is the 5EAT if you have an automatic. if you have the 'right' transmission :) it's nothing new.

the engine debuted on the '04 Forester XT (and basically a higher power version, also, on the '04 WRX STi).

it's all been solid.

~Colin
  • Options
    Mark,

Heard the reliability is good... although over time, I suspect the turbo, intercooler, etc. wil require some TLC. Also better think long and hard about GT. I too was in the market for one until I spoke to someone about the oh-so-poor gas mileage and the 15% surtax for the premium blend it needs and... I don't think so any more. Once the glitter of the new model wears out... your stuck with full-size pickup truck fuel economy for years to come. mmmmh.

Cheers, Tom
  • Options
    the gas mileage is in fact no different unless you drive hard. due to things like the seriously oversquare boxer engine, the weight of AWD, and short gearing, no Subaru gets what I'd call "good" gas mileage.

of course... that's the fun in owning a 250 horsepower vehicle, using it. :)

~c
  • Options
    compare to X5's V6 that only gives 16mpg
  • Options
    beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    I don't think even the diesels or a stripped V6 model gets the 26.5 mpg I get on the highway. In the city, I get 18-19 mpg. Now if you drive it like it wants to be driven, and I know plenty of owners that do, then 15 mpg out of a tank isn't unheard of. Hey, it is winter time, there's fresh powder to do donuts in!

-B
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Unless there is a major facelift (highly unlikely), don't expect much news on the 06 Legacy/Outback at auto shows. They normally roll out the routine year to year updates rather quietly. Only major updates, new models, and facelifts garner time at the auto shows.

The Legacy/Outback has traditionally been on a 5-year "spring" cycle for major updates, but the minor year to year changes typically happen in the mid-late summer (normally July-August). I would nto expect to see 06 models until August or so.

CRaig
  • Options
    jsgnfwtxjsgnfwtx Member Posts: 17
    I am seriously considering an Outback LL Bean. Was shocked at answers when I asked about various service costs: spark plug replacement - $440.00; Brake Fluid Change - $399.00. Scary. Any longtime H6 owners able to shed some light on these costs?
  • Options
    exactly what i was saying !
  • Options
    these don;t look right. i just saw a service tablea t dealership which was called Service D (highlest level of service) which inludes several things inlcuding spark plug replacement. total was $550. but it includes a lot of things like radiator coolant flush, brake tests.

sign up for subaru/chase mastercard to be safe, you will get 500$ a year towards service
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    those costs quoted above most certainly include other things with them -- even in the world of dealer ripoffs are those prices about 4x higher than I've ever been quoted for the individual services. Looks like they quoted you the price for a major service bundle (30k, 60k, 90k....) that included the plugs and brake flush.

B
  • Options
    compare to X5's V6 that only gives 16mpg

huh? there is no V6 in the X5, it's an inline 6 or v8.

the vehicle weighs significantly more than any Subaru, so why make this comparison? what's your point?

mine is that Subarus don't get particularly great gas mileage in their class. the X5 doesn't compete against any Subaru.

~Colin
  • Options
    terrylterryl Member Posts: 34
    John, what Canadian city are you in?

Tx.
    Terry
  • Options
    I can think of one exception - the non-turbo Forester gets the best mileage of any compact SUV, with either transmission.

In fact there aren't any FWD/2WD competitors that can beat it.

22/30 auto, 23/30 5 speed. RAV4 is close only with FWD. That's about it.

-juice
  • Options
    saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    I beg to differ. The X5 is a raised station wagon that can plausibly be driven off road and has performance similar to the Subaru VDC or Bean wagons. I considered all such raised all wheel drive wagons and chose the VDC. The BMW name adds nothing in competence and SUBTRACTS value for poor reliability. However, my VDC's mpg while better than my previous W8 Passat wagon and much better than an X5 is still only fair.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,241
    I disagree.. the X5 is a purpose-built SUV.. It may be a uni-body, but it doesn't share a platform with any car..

It does share engines with the rest of the BMW family, but that is it..

Unlike the Subaru.. which definitely is a "raised AWD wagon", to use your term..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Sorry to sound harsh here, but unless you are completely brain dead, common sense would dictate that these prices for a stand alone plug change, or brake fluid flush are completely outrageous.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    I saw a test of the X5 on an off-road course and it wasn't pretty. The body flexed so much that one of the rear doors popped open.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,241
    It is an SAV, not an SUV.... lol..

I never said it was good at the job... ;-)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mark28mark28 Member Posts: 8
    Indeed the Milage is not the best and Premium fuel is needed, but it is still an AWD car with 250hp. Like many people say, if you push it (and likey you will be tempted, given the acceleration) milage drops. Subaru was never really known for economical engines. Maybe Yamaha should give their version of 2.0 T / 2.5 T?(just like the Volvo XC90 V8)
    Considering to get this car, I look at my 98 4runner V6. Heavy, slow, can give me 14-19 MPG. so >20MPG is a good improvement.
    I initially fell in love with the Impreza WRX but after driving the Legacy GT, one realizes that performance being similar, the latter is much more luxurious/spacious. The WRX also, being the most stolen car in Canada, has a much higher insurance premium (~1000$ /yr more than the legacy). Both vehicles having a similar initial price tag, I lean more towards the Legacy GT, knowing full well that it may not be as economical as the WRX, volvo v40 T5 awd or the A4.
  • Options
    Killer insurance.

-juice
  • Options
    fj60fj60 Member Posts: 28
    Does anybody else get a jiggling noise from the sunroof when driving over rough surfaces with the sunshade open. Is this unusual or is it simply inherent with such a large sunroof?

FJ60
  • Options
    Locke2c,

Regarding...

"the gas mileage is in fact no different unless you drive hard. "

Oh, how I wish this were true... but I'm afraid not. Regardless of engine load, the turbo exerts back pressure on the engine which increases fuel mileage. Compare the highway mpg of an XT (ie. cruising at low load conditions) to that of a 2.5i and you'll see a significant difference. The data is there - take it from a Mechanical Engineer ;)

So enjoy the 250 hp, but it ain't free - even when you're not pushing it!

Tom
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Those prices are definitely nuts, or encompass far more than you are alluding to. Or the dealer is a rip-off!

Craig
  • Options
    andrewkandrewk Member Posts: 59
    I would greatly appreciate details on how this works. My wife has an '03 Legacy SE wagon and I have a new '05 OBW. Mine came with a 24 month maintenance coupon booklet so I'll okay for a while. We plan on keeping both for a long time, and we would like to have all our work done at a Subaru dealership, so long term maintenance costs is something I am considering.

Are these Subarubucks in the form of coupons? Could they be used on either car? Are there expiration dates or time limits, or can they accrue for a long time? Could my wife and I get separate cards, therefore going up to $1000/year?

Any and all details and comments appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Are these Subarubucks in the form of coupons?

Yes, they send you a $100 coupon each time your net charges exceed $3333.33

Could they be used on either car?

Yes. They can be used for parts, service, or the purchase of a new car.

Are there expiration dates or time limits, or can they accrue for a long time?

Each coupon expires 4 years from issue date. When using the coupon(s), no change will be returned.

Could my wife and I get separate cards, therefore going up to $1000/year?

I don't see why not. However, I don't think you could combine both accounts and use more than the 4 year $2000 limit on one purchase.

Subaru Chase MasterCard: http://tinyurl.com/6apdt

DaveM
  • Options
    yes, my wife & i have 2 cards & max out on coupons. This is a no brainer when you are an ardent subaru fan.

the only pain to keep it safe for 4 years, if you save for a new car

Did you check the liberty insurance, they provide 10% discout to subaru customers. check subaru.com website. interestingly, they provide discount for subaru & mazda mpv.

http://www.libertymutual.com/omapps/ContentServer?pagename=PMInternet/pmAffinity/LandingPa- ge3&cid=1028210627051
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Could my wife and I get separate cards, therefore going up to $1000/year?

It's doable with 2 separate accounts, provided details on both accounts are identical.

However, I don't think you could combine both accounts and use more than the 4 year $2000 limit on one purchase.

So far, it's doable too, but it's not written in stone ;-)

-Dave