Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• Does anyone have a maintenance coupon they are not going to use? Took delivery of my 05 2.5i LTD on July 12 but haven't been able to procure a coupon from my dealer or 800-subaru3.

Thanks

Brent
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Leo,

Congratulations on a fantastic choice (coming from another LGT Ltd 5EAT wagon owner).

What color did you get?

I've found radio reception to be fine on my wagon.

Enjoy the break-in process. It only happens once. Pay attention to the power right around when you pass the 200 mile mark. Myself and other owners have noticed that the engine seems to noticeably loosen up after 200 miles.

Ken
  • monomono Posts: 26
    I keep hearing how fast this car is, but I am skeptical. Mostly because "fast" is all relative. It weighs 3300 lbs. only has 250 hp. Plus, the AWD system saps a lot of power going to the wheels. I have been spending some time on the legacysti.com lately. Someone dynoed the turbo model at like 202 hp. at the wheels. That’s pretty low.

I don’t see this car doing much better than high 14’s in the quarter mile. This car needs the WRX STi engine! I’d easily pay another $5,000 for the STi engine and drivetrain.

I am coming from a modified Mustang GT. My car dynoed at 250 rwhp. / 292 rwtq. SAE corrected and runs 13.6 @ 102 mph in the quarter mile. It also weighs about 3400 lbs. Now, I am not saying the new Legacy needs to be this fast, but I just think it’s a little low on power for my liking. Everything else about the car I really like.

Do you forsee any viable power mods. coming out for this car? Can you safely run more boost for more power? This car is at least 30 hp. short in my opinion.

I will be honest, I have not driven one yet. However, 3300lbs., 250 hp. and AWD isn't going to be a rocket. I really hope I am wrong about this because like I said, I like everything else about the car.
  • tsytsy Posts: 1,551
    Leo- I tinted my windows with a 35% metallic with no significant drop in radio reception. I was worried about AM reception but it has been fine. The reception isn't great to begin, so there's not much to lose. Besides, you can just load up 6 cds. . .

tom
  • tsytsy Posts: 1,551
    Drive one.
    You'll be surprised. I had the same reaction to the FXT- I couldn't understand how something so heavy with only 210 hp (per Subaru) could move, but it does.

Fast is very relative. This car is very fast compared to its competition. I would say it's slow compared to a Ferrari Enzo or Saleen S7. ;-).

I am quite happy with the car, it's not a sports car, nor will it completely replace a sports car (but it's not a bad daily substitute IMHO) but I feel I no longer need a WRX STi either (or an Evo). ;-)
    (I drove them back to back before I bought) But there is no way this thing only has 200 bhp. Someone else dyno'd it at 270 (you could see the graphs)

tom

BTW, I'm sure the power mods are coming, they always come. . .
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    dave5: nothing a piece of black electrical tape won't fix. ;-)

Congrats Leo!

mono: an STi is rumored, that might be your next ride. IMO the Legacy is almost too fast, just budget for speeding tickets!

Keep in mind mono was talking about net hp at the four wheels, not gross hp. Dyno estimates actually put the gross hp at about 270.

-juice
  • mylegacymylegacy Posts: 38
    Rollover ratings get a fine-tuning

USA Today
    August 10, 2004

U.S. auto safety officials published the first specific rollover scores for cars and trucks Monday, answering criticism that the government's safety scores of one to five stars are too general to help consumers.

The Mazda RX-8 sports car is best, having only an 8 percent chance of rolling over in a single-vehicle crash. Worst is the Ford Explorer Sport Trac two-wheel-drive sport-utility vehicle, which the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says has a 34.8 percent chance of rolling.

Rollovers are only 3 percent of accidents, but cause about one-third of traffic deaths, according to the NHTSA.

NHTSA scores only 68 2004-model cars and trucks, out of about 300 on sale. The agency ranks 36 SUVs, 20 cars, eight pickups, four minivans -- models NHTSA thinks people are likely to buy.

Best -- SUV: Chrysler Pacifica four-wheel drive, 13 percent. Pickup: Chevrolet and GMC full-size, two-wheel-drive models, 15.9 percent. Minivan: Nissan Quest, 12.1 percent.

Worst -- Pickup: Toyota Tacoma extended cab, four-wheel-drive, 28.3 percent. Minivan: Toyota Sienna, 15.9 percent. Car: Subaru Legacy Outback, 15.5 percent.

For complete results, visit http://www.safercar.gov.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/169013-3926-031.html
  • gxb159gxb159 Posts: 46
    I am in the market for an 05 OB. I know domestic manufacturers run rebates constantly. How often does Subaru run them? When can I expect the 05's to have a rebate? Thanks.
    That is the 2004 Outback, not the 2005, by the way.

Plus, look at how they categorize it. Their ratings would seem to tell you to avoid an outback and get a Sierra instead, which wins its class, but the Outback is actually less likely to roll.

They should show the full range to make that information useful.

And the 2004 Outback is no longer made! So the info is outdated before it even came out.

-juice
    2005 Subies are selling well, they had a record July.

It'll be hard to predict rebates. The market is hyper-competitive, and that increases their likelihood.

But...Subaru had no rebates at all on the Forester from 1998 until around 2001. That model was popular and never needed them.

All 2004 Subies had them, though, and I would not be surprised if they had small ones on the 2005 Legacy, but only near the end of the 2005 model year. In other words, a year from now.

My best guess.

-juice
  • ntk1ntk1 Posts: 57
    some weeks ago I posted details of an engine hesitation problem at medium throttle acceleration levels on the LGT MT. A number of other owners experienced the same (RSQ et al).
    The dealership couldn't detect the problem - I now understand that this was probably due to the busy road/traffic conditions they used around the dealership location not really allowing them to exercise the car fully. I have searched a number of sites and have established that this problem is not unique to the 3 or 4 people mentioning it at this board (even one journalist auto tester seemed to have exactly the same problem as me and was not too complimentary). I have 1500 on the ODO now and the problem is not getting any better so here is my plan - at the end of August I have to visit a certain middle East country to help sort some problems out for Mr Bush. I will let a senior mechanic at the Subaru dealer use my car for a week so that he can experience the problem himself and hopefully start running some diagnostic testing. When I return I will post my findings, in the mean time if anybody hears anything on this subject on a different board please notify me
    Pete
  • lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    Granted that this is the 2004 and that the 05 has a lower center of gravity despite it's higher profile, but it strikes me that this info still has some relevance--not the least for those who are driving the previous generation. It also strikes me that it's worth looking into the extent to which the new version has lowered the center of gravity, and I still think that one has to accept these tests (just like the side impact tests and braking info) as saying -something- worth knowing, particularly given Subaru's desire to position itself in the "safe car" segment of the market. How -much- one wants to rely on the info is obviously up to the individual.
    Pete: sounds like a good idea. I'm glad they agreed to do that more thorough check/test.

-juice
    Depends on how you read those rollover ratings. The 2004 Outback is about only half as likely to roll as that Toyota pickup.

For anyone that puts this as a high priority, I suggest the VDC model, or any car with at least stability control.

-juice
  • frankwfrankw Posts: 22
    Actually, I also bought mine on 6/30, so maybe you should be congratulating me too! ;-)

Congratulations, Tom!

On another topic, here in Santa Fe we are in a restricted water usage regime. I believe we may not wash cars at home and may only go to a commercial car wash once per month. On the other hand, usually the only dirt that gets on the car is a very fine light brown dust. What do those of you who use clay, Klasse, etc. recommend for this situation?

Frank
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Posts: 1,760
    take my most demanding use of my cars. accelerating into 2 lanes of 60mph traffic with no acceleration lane, uphill and water/snow is usually in this area.

now take your fast mustang and my fxt and lets see who can get up to speed.

these guys think that everyone is driving in SoCal type conditions.

now that is just straight line, now get a wet curvy road and any subie takes the mustang.

and what about at high altitudes when those NAs lose there punch, let alone a gravel type road. i love these 15 minutes of edit time....

heck look what mike, paisan, does in his old old subaru against the high power cars on the track...
    You forgot "at high altitudes", where non-turbos are wheezing and losing power.

-juice
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    aren't those rating based on mathematical calculations?

If they are derived from real world testing, how do they come up with percentiles like 15.9, 12.1, etc...? Also, if they are physically testing for rollover, how could they know it will roll with those training wheels in the way?

It will take alot of bad luck, throw in bad road condition(s) and terrain(s), to roll the OB.

-Dave
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Posts: 1,760
    It will take alot of bad luck, throw in bad road condition(s) and terrain(s), to roll the OB.

yeah juice didnt even roll one at las vegas....
    But my grunting happened in a Legacy GT. ;-)

They had an off road course for the Outback but it was closed until the following day, we were BUMMED about that.

-juice