Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The bolts were long, I bet they would both fit. Might need to do a little cutting on the loop baseplate.

Ian - see my response in MTM.

-juice
  • Options
    goneskiiangoneskiian Member Posts: 381
    Thanks juice!

-Ian
  • Options
    lizzard1lizzard1 Member Posts: 5
    anyone know if stability control will be available on base 07 outbacks?
  • Options
    Good question. I do hope it'll spread throughout the lineup. While Subaru launched VDC way back in 2001, I believe, 5 model years later their bread-and-butter models still lack this capability.

-juice
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Hi Ian,

What timing. My LGT wagon is at the dealer too for it's 30K mile service. The manual calls only for an inspection of these fluids and that it only be replaced if it's leaked or otherwise been subject to harsh driving.

My dealer also asked if I wanted these fluids changed. I opted just for the ATF change since it's cheap and easy maintenance. I decided to wait on the gear oil until a later time.

Ken
  • Options
    kmcleankmclean Member Posts: 173
    Hi, Ian,

I think those fluid changes were recommended at 30K for earlier models (like my 2K, for instance). If your wagon has had average (as opposed to "severe") use, I'd follow the manual's recommendations.

BTW, any competent independent garage could do that change for a lot less than $150. That's what I do for routine maintenance that I don't perform myself.

Ken in [sunny] Seattle
  • Options
    Ken and Ken,
    Thanks for your input. I decided to let them change out these fluids. They were probably fine but I tend to err on the side of precaution. Besides, I had enough subie bucks to cover it.

That's too funny Ken (in Cali)! We're putting about the same miles on our twin wagons (fraternal off course with the "tranny" differences ;)). When did you get yours again?

Also, the dealership did a great job in quieting the creaks I was getting from around the stereo/HVAC bezel. They said they pulled the face plate off and put some insulating foam back there.

We'll see if the rattling sunroof shade got fixed too. They said that the bushings the shade slides on were dry so they put some lithium grease on there. We'll see if that worked as we'll be heading over Snoqualmie pass tomorrow (Interstate 90) and it's ROUGH from all the truck (with chains) traffic it gets

For some reason it just feels more solid and quiet. Almost like I got a new car! :shades: :D;)

Cheers!
    -Ian (in not so sunny Seattle)
  • Options
    Ian,

I took delivery of my LGT wagon back in July 2004. I just got my LGT wagon back and it too feels good. I had the dealer replace the keyfobs under warranty to the new less sensitive ones. Unfortunatley, they couldn't duplicate the slight rattle I get in the moonroof shade when it's 1/2 open and going over bumps. I'll just try greasing the track later.

Ken
  • Options
    Subie Bucks, now you're talking. I think I've spent $3 or 400 on accessories and some body shop work, and we have another $600 saved up. Life is good. :shades:

-juice
  • Options
    Ken - I thought we were close. I took delivery the first week of June '04. I'm having the keyfobs serviced as well, but they had to order the new faceplate for me as they weren't aware of the change. Yes, for being in the middle of a very large Subaru market up here in the PNW this dealership is a bit slow on the take up.

Oh, and with the sliders greased on the sunroof shade I can get it to open a few inches when launching from stop lights! ;)

juice - Yes, Subie bucks to the rescue. I lost $30 though with the "no change" policy. Hmmm, what could I have gotten for $30? Battery warmer, Engine Block heater, wheel locks, ash tray or cargo net? :confuse: :P ;) LOL!

Cheers!
    -Ian
  • Options
    renssilsrenssils Member Posts: 24
    I drive a 2006 Legacy 2.5 GT spec.B and have found that although it rolls more than I'd like, it does have very high levels of roadholding and handling. The spec.B has a good balance between fun and comfort. After 9100 miles, it's been reliable. (The dealer has replaced the original auto-dimming-HomeLink mirror, but the replacement seems no better at dimming.) I drove a 2006 WRX STI, which was great fun, but I didn't like its harsh ride and the outrageous appearance. My last two cars, both bought new, were a 2001 Audi A6 4.2 with sport package and a 2004 Audi allroad 4.2. I didn't get another Audi because the nearest dealer is 25 miles from home and neither car was as reliable as I would wish. I did consider a 2006 S4, but I wouldn't get another Audi until Audi opens a dealer near my work or home, because an Audi owner must anticipate frequent trips to the dealer.
  • Options
    Ian,

That is close. I think we talked about this a while back, but it's been almost two years! Time sure flies!

My dealer already had several replacement sets for the keyfobs. Actually, I didn't realize that all they did was swap out the faceplate until you mentioned it. When I picked up my car, I noticed that the faceplate wasn't snapped all the way shut and thought that maybe they replaced the battery. Now that you mention that, it's clear they just put on a new front half -- makes sense.

Well, after close to 30K miles, my LGT is running as smooth and strong as the day I bought it. It really has held up quite nicely without any major problems.

I just ordered a bunch of new detailing products and plan on getting it all cleaned up in time for it's 2nd birthday!

Ken
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    > but I wouldn't get another Audi until Audi opens a dealer near my work or home, because an Audi owner must anticipate frequent trips to the dealer.

welcome to the ex Audi, now Subaru owners club! :)
  • Options
    steveb10steveb10 Member Posts: 13
    I have only 225 miles on my 2.5i 5-speed Outback and really love the car. It does have a quirk that I wondered if anyone else has noticed. The AC blows plenty cold when the compressor is engaged, but I get the feeling it cycles on and off too frequently resulting in air that is just starting to get cold.... then the compressor kicks out for a few seconds and things warm up again until the cycle repeats. The air never really gets cold enough to cool the car on a hot day.

I have tried all the settings and it behaves the same.

Anybody else notice this? Is this adjustable by the dealer? Otrherwise I love the car.
  • Options
    Hi, Steve,

It sounds like the system might not be fully charged (with "Freon," that is). In the old days you could check a sight valve in the drier, but I suspect you'll have to take it back to the dealer for them to take a look at it. My A/C works fine, and has for six years.

Ken in Seattle (where A/C is rarely needed)
  • Options
    larrycrowelllarrycrowell Member Posts: 33
    Hello. I also have a 2005 OBXT. I purchased & installed a HiddenHitch receiver (because it is the least conspicuous) and a JCWhitney trailer light converter speced for Subaru. The converter is necessary to convert Euro separate brake&turn to US combined brake&turn. The Subaru wiring connector is buried inside the rear left plastic panel (even the dealer didn't know where it was); you might have to root around to find it. The Subaru connector also supplies 12VDC for converters such as the JCWhitney; you want this so that your trailer lights do not load the car lighting circuit. This 12VDC supply has a separate fuse, but I cannot remember if the fuse was installed or if I had to install one. ALl went together nicely; the JCWhitney converter was "plug-n-play".
  • Options
    steveb10steveb10 Member Posts: 13
    Ken-

Well I took it in to the dealer and he tested the temp at the vent at 45 degrees. He evacuated the system and recharged it and tested again. Still 45 degrees. I personally feel that on a long trip the system will be ok, it's just that on a hot day it's incapable of cooling the car down on a short trip. It seems to be related to how long the compressor stays engaged. Sems to be as designed? I'd be interested in hearing from other 2005/2006 Outback owners.
  • Options
    Steve -

I think any output temp in the mid-40s is fine. Have you tried running it for a prolonged test since the recharge to see if it's still cycling on/off as frequently as before? The only other thing I could think of is the compressor clutch (the device that noticeably "clicks" when the compressor engages or disengages) or the signal it's getting to turn on or off. I have no idea if its cycle time is adjustable (I suspect it isn't) or if it's just a "good" or "bad" component. I don't know where you live, but if it's a hot part of the country, I'd want decent A/C function in a new car.

Ken in sunny (and relatively cool) Seattle
  • Options
    kevin13kevin13 Member Posts: 12
    Steve,
    Ah, the AC problems. I had this problem but worse. At times, hot air would blow. My dealer couldn't duplicate it, nor fix it. I sent an email to corporate and the dealer, to his credit, responded quickly. While they still couldn't duplicate it, they replaced my A/C unit (sorry, I'm not actually sure exactly what component) and it seems to be working great now. This is definitely a "known" problem. Keep pressing your dealer to fix it!
    Kevin
  • Options
    larrycrowelllarrycrowell Member Posts: 33
    Good news. I have a 2005 OBXT MT and it has always been plagued by mid-throttle acceleration hesitation and surging and holes in power delivery. Many people have posted these same problems in this forum. Early on I visited the dealer about it and was told to "buy better gas". Yeah, what a gas alright. I have been pestering the dealer about it and today their lead technician revealed that within a few weeks Subaru will be releasing an ECU upgrade and the necessary hardware/tools to enable this upgrade to be done at the dealer (about 1 hour). I'm optimistic and will post the results when my upgrade is installed. Have faith.
  • Options
    luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    This is wonderful news. My hestitation has reduced considerably but is still evident. I report it everytime I go in to the dealer but I get the same old same old....normal lag, or did not notice. Well they noticed it early on, but admitted that there was no fix.

Do please let us know when a fix is out, and any other details you can provide. I will share this with Subaru Canada customer service so perhaps this prob can be rectified on my XTL.

BTW, I posted a couple of weeks ago about a cabin filter upgrade kit req'd for early prodn models of the OB/Legacy. Subaru Canada responded by sending the entire kit and filter to the dealer to have it installed at no charge. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised when my dealer called. :)

Cheers.
  • Options
    Steve,

I've owned my 2005 LGT wagon for almost two years now and through two summers and never had a problem with the AC. It's kept me very cool through summers where temps have hit in upper 90s.

On hot days, I find that I need to manually turn down the fan speed at times since it becomes too cool right near the vents.

I'm not sure if there is a difference in the AC units used in the turbo and non-turbo engines.

Ken
  • Options
    bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    Take this as purely anedotal information, but I was also experiencing the treaded hesitation, surging, and bucking". I was using no-name Premium gas at the time (Bless me Fuji for I have sinned against thee), mainly because I was being a cheap [non-permissible content removed]-hey, the wife's GX470 runs just fine on the stuff. At my Service Manager's suggestion, I started experimenting with other brands (Chevron, Shell, Unocal). Finally settled on Chevron, and after exclusive use for a month had absolutely no hesitation etc., what so ever. This is not an endorsement of Chevron per se, just relating my experience.
  • Options
    luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    It is quite possible. In fact, early on, Subaru Canada suggested the same thing. I have tried a variety of premium gases available in my area and none has resolved the problem.

That said, doesn't it seem kind of ridiculous that a customer has to go searching for the "right" gas in order for his/her vehicle to operate properly? What if I'm on the road that brand is not avail when I need fuel? Sorry...I don't accept this solution after paying significant coin for this car.....fix it Subaru!

Cheers.
  • Options
    dougb10dougb10 Member Posts: 185
    Hello luck11...
    I have an early '05 Outback Limited with no cabin filtration system. My local Subaru dealer seems to be unaware of any retro-fix. Will you please give me the name of the Subaru dealer that solved your issue via Subaru Canada, so I can use their name for reference purposes.
    Many thanks.

Doug
  • Options
    Doug,

I *think* this might be the part number but check: SOA342L500

Ken
  • Options
    dougb10dougb10 Member Posts: 185
    Thanks Ken....Doug
  • Options
    satire2satire2 Member Posts: 22
    We got a Legacy 2.5i wagon last fall, and liked it so much (especially its firm but comfy ride and great handling) that we're adding a silver Legacy GT LTD sedan to our "fleet."

My question to the great folks here is, what subtle and not so subtle differences will we notice between the base, non-LTD i and the GT LTD? We've test-driven, but some of you folks have long and intimate familiarity with both versions.

-power, of course, but what of fuel mileage differences?

-will the power difference be shocking in daily driving (he asks, hoping it will be)?

-will we notice a lumpier power delivery with the GT?

-the GT will have a faster steering ratio: is it hard to get used to this? How much nicer is the "flick of the wrist" lane change?

-are the driving dynamics of the sedan any different than the wagon? If so, what might they be?

-has there been any resolution to the complaints about the less-than-admired automatic climate control on the GT LTD? (I find the base climate control system lovely.)

-our 2.5i has the surprisingly good Yokohama 17 inch tires and rides and handles swell. In daily driving, will the ride be worse with the slightly more aggressive GT tires? Will the handling be even better still?

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff. I'd appreciate any other differences you might think of....
  • Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    as I have never driven 2.5i or any Legacy wagon but I love my LGT sedan.

Indicated mpg is 25mpg in mostly highway commute.

Define "lumpier"? GT does have noticable turbo lag but power delivery goes from not-so fast to rocket when one spools engine above 3000rpms.

Tires: 2006 2.5 has 205/50R17 and GT has 215/45R17. You will have less sidewall; from ratio calculations 2.5 has 102.5mm of sidewall and GT 96.75mm. 6mm is a 1/4 of an inch (1" = 25.4mm). Ride will very likely be harsher.

Krzys
  • Options
    By lumpy I just mean not as linear as the slower acceleration of the 2.5i. :)

I had the last generation of Honda Prelude. It was actually quite sedate around town, until you nailed it and the VTEC kicked in. At that point there was a rush of power. Not really linear, but lots of fun. I'm just wondering if that's the general feel of a turbo in daily use, too.

A stiffer ride is preferable to a floatier one, too.

=gregg=
  • Options
    To answer some of your questions...

- I get about 23 mpg on my LGT 5EAT wagon with mostly highway driving around 75-80mph. If I am easy on the gas, I have and can get up to 26mpg.

- Power delivery is markedly different, IMO. Shocking may be a little dramatic, but "whoa" describes it better.

- I wouldn't describe it as lumpy. There's a non-linear rush of power that kicks in around 2800 RPM.

- The steering ratio is faster, but it's no go-kart. You probably won't notice too much on highway driving. You will notice on twisty roads and u-turns.

- The sedan and wagon have very close driving characteristics. The wagon does feel just a tad more tail heavy.

- I don't believe the HVAC system has changed in the LGT. But I've never had a complaint about how it works.

- I believe the difference in sidewall is quite small and most of the ride and handling difference will come from the slightly stiffer springs.

Congrats on your purchase!

Ken
  • Options
    Gregg,
    I came to the GT from a Honda product as well and yes the turbo kicking in can be compared to the VTEC.

Also, I've driven a non-GT Legacy as a loaner a couple times and noticed the steering differences (GT feels a bit more nervous due to the ratio and suspension differences). Made me appreciate the GT that much more. Oh yeah, way more powerful too! ;)

Cheers!
    -Ian
  • Options
    Man, you're gonna have one heck of a fleet! :shades:

-juice
  • Options
    I think the 2.5i is perfection. I'm kind of anxious that the GT will be overshooting perfection! :shades:

=gregg=
  • Options
    Gregg,

If you feel that way, then I think you should save the $$ and get another 2.5i!

But trust me, you'll be happy with the GT. ;-)

Ken
  • Options
    Gregg,
    I'd have to agree with Ken's last statement. If you like the 2.5i you'll really dig the GT! ;)

I seem to get a smile with every drive. I don't know if it's the weather or the gas or an out of whack butt dyno what but I swear my GT felt a good 25 hp more powerful this morning. :confuse: :shades: :D

Maybe the new ECU I got a few months ago is finally settling in to the way I like to drive (somewhat spirited). ;)

Cheers!
    -Ian
  • Options
    Thanks everybody!

Tomorrow's (today actually, now) the big day. The pilgrimage to Van Bortel's in Rochester, NY, half a state away.

Thunderstorms in the forecast, but, so far, NO hail....

=gregg=
  • Options
    saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    1166 miles from Florida to Illinois at high speed resulted in 24.3 MPG. Not bad for cruising at 68 to 78 mph and occasional excursions to 85 mph. Two weeks earlier on the reverse direction the mpg was 23.3.........Wow, it takes a long time to loosen up the Subie six! (I had only 6,800 miles on my 2005 VDC before the trip.)

It appears the 26 mpg EPA rating might actually be achievable at 55 mph.
  • Options
    Indeed, not bad for a 3.0l with permanent AWD, too. I won't ask you to slow down. ;)

-juice
  • Options
    I want to thank everyone who participates on the Edmunds Subaru forums. I've read every word here on the 2005+ Legacy, and it has been a great help. And it's been entertaining!

We now have a 2006 5EAT GT Sedan to compare to the 2006 4EAT 2.5i wagon we already owned. I think nothing I've noticed about the pair hasn't already been mentioned here already at some point in time, but here goes, anyway.

- the GT has quicker and firmer steering, but it isn't a night-and-day difference from the base model

- Legacy base wagons feel, in general, remarkably like GT sedans; the wagon/sedan differential seems less with Subaru than with other makes of cars

- I haven't aired out the GT yet, of course, but in terms of acceleration, it feels much like the current Accord V6, which we owned. Consumer Reports tested the auto V6 Accord and found a 7.4 secs. to 60mph time, and they tested a 5EAT Legacy GT, and got 7.5. That seems about right, so far, even though they tend to register the slowest test times in publisherdom.

- the extra power of the turbo really isn't all that evident in small town driving; the base seems almost as perky

- by its gauge, we've been getting 27mpg in the base wagon; from Rochester, we averaged 25 mpg in the GT in mostly New York State Thruway driving

- the GT and base are both equally quiet; I thought perhaps a sedan would be quieter than a wagon, but it isn't.

- both color interiors have merit. I like both. The sedan is silver/black, the wagon Atlantic Blue/taupe. I prefer cloth seats, but the leather ones are nice. I think the base cloth seats are super.

- the hood scoop helps you locate your own hood as you drive, which somehow, psychologically, feels "right" and seems to help handling feel. If someone here can explain to me why this is so, I'd love to hear why.

- the GT rides a tad firmer, which I think is actually more comfortable

- the GT seems to track a little bit better

- Van Bortel is non-haggle and they were super

- the gauges in the GT are cool :shades:

- the Auto Climate Control behaved itself well; as I think Kens said long ago in this forum, he controls it via the temp settings. That seems to be all the direction it needed on a warm day today.

- Brilliant Silver hides bug splats much better than Atlantic Blue, although A.B. may do it second best of all the available colors! :)

Again, thanks y'all....

=gregg=
  • Options
    Gregg,

Congrats, congrats, congrats!

I hope you are happy with the choice! I think you will be!

As for power and acceleration, give your LGT some time. After the first 200 miles or so, you'll notice the engine and tranny loosens up a bit and will be more responsive. The transmission, especially will improve as it learns your driving style.

0-60 in 7.5 is a very, very conservative number. Some enthusiasts over at LGT.com have estimated that the 5EAT should be hitting closer to 6 seconds based on dragstrip times.

And yes, Brilliant Silver is a great color for hiding blemishes!

Ken
  • Options
    Nice post, you're almost selling me on a base Legacy even though I'm a Forester guy! :)

-juice
  • Options
    Yes, thanks for posting the link. I just read it, and am not sure how I feel about it.

Testers seem a tad leery of Subarus that come with high price tags, as if such a concept is suspect, even if the cars test well.

=gregg=
  • Options
    $34k is a drop in the bucket for a sports sedan loaded up with heated leather, moonroof, and GPS NAV that can play in this league.

I think if Jason were to price a 330xi with those items the sticker shock might change his mind about the price of the Subie:

base $38,500
    freight 695
    NAV 2000
    keyless 500
    leather 1450
    power seat 995
    heated seat 500
    split folding rear seat 475

A mere $45,115.

-juice
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    BMW trades heavily on their name, not value, so I would not compare to them. Literally everything except a Mercedes-Benz is going to offer more for the money than a BMW 3-series.

I know there aren't many things quite like a spec.B, but my initial impression is that I wouldn't spend $34,000 for one. I know you can option a Mazdaspeed 6 to that same price, but again, I don't think I'd be a consumer for that.

The regular Legacy GT makes sense to me, but I'm still on the fence about the spec.B.

~Colin
  • Options
    You can't fault Subaru for offering many options, though. I've seen GTs for as little as $23k, left over 2005s at the end of the year.

I'm sure some people wish that had a 6 speed...

-juice
  • Options
    "You can't fault Subaru for offering many options"

I wish Subaru offered options. These are not options.
    You want 6MT? You need different suspension, fancy alcantara seats, navigation system, VDC and rear Torsen LSD.

You want only one of these?
    Go somewhere else.

Krzys
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    I just can't believe the fools made the rear differential a torsen while the front remains open. That's so stupid. Putting the torsen up front would have FAR more effect.

~Colin
  • Options
    they changed viscous (sp?) with torsen.
    It might have something to do with VDC (stability control).

Krzys