Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• luck11luck11 Posts: 425
    Ok, this morning I had a diff pair of dress shoes on and and when I pivoted my foot off the accelerator to the brake, the toe of my shoe rubbed the cowling above. Probably would not have noticed it had I not read it here, but it was definite contact.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    tom: that was cruel! ;-)

The folks with shoe clearance problems should try a Miata, I often have to drive barefoot!

Seriously, boots on my size 10 feet simply will not fit, no way no how.

I actually tend to pick sandals or mocassins precisely because they are small. Driving mocs are sweet anyway.

-juice
  • luck11luck11 Posts: 425
    Tom....Please tell me you do not work for AAA or any such organization, 'cause your not helping here! ; )

Ok, so perhaps taking it above 4K a couple of times during break-in won't be so bad?

"I must resist the temptation. I must resist the temptation. I must consider the temptation. I must not consider it temptation. It is not temptation. I must try it......"

Oh boy, I am in trouble!

Cheers,
    Jay
  • Okay, okay, I've decided I'm gonna give this ridiculous sounding process a try ... maybe y'all aren't really just trying to get a laugh at teh newbies expense!

To save me searching the back pages for the instructions, can anyone re-post them here ... thanks in advance.

FWIW, when I got my short shifter installed last week, the service manager and dealer manager both told me the chime could not be turned off.
  • here are your instructions, this works, even though it does sound hokey.

1) Turn key to on position-don't start.
    2) After first set of chimes click seat belt in and out 20 times within 30 seconds.
    3) Turn off key.
    4) Repeat 1, 2, 3 again
    5) Turn key off and re-start

To clarify:

turn on car = on but not started
    beeping starts = first set of beeps when you turn on the car

Follow the instructions above, start clicking the seatbelt in as soon as the FIRST chimes start, not the seatbelt chimes. This will interrupt the chiming process to the point they stop.

Turn off key and REMOVE KEY FROM IGNITION.

Repeat process, remove key from ignition again.

Start car and see if it worked. My little light is gone off the dash too.
  • i wear size 12 and had major problems with pedal problems in an auto millenia. when pressing down on the brake and foot on the side of the brake pedal the gas pedal would also become depressed making for some audi 5000 nightmares.....

i agree juice, lightweight driving footware is great allowing great feel of the pedals. i wonder what paisan wears when racing? hmmm, will bmw be the first to have cooled/heated pedals? lol.
    Holy cow, almost seems like that procedure WEARS OUT the beeper and light! LOL

-juice
  • lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    Anybody looked into this yet? Or outfitted one of the "portable" units? This is one of our sticking points.
    I'm considering one of the Garmins for my wife.

Nice thing about a portable is you can use it in any car. We have 3 cars in our fleet, so factory built-in Nav would cost us $6000 extra.

A Garmin is 1/10th that price.

-juice
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    The trick works on passenger side too. My wife always gets rid off seatbelt when we almost on our driveway when we back, but the chimes just won't let you do it, it's kind of annoing. Now it's gone except when your car first started. Thanks to Craig's directions. How didn't you find that out, Craig? It's quite smart :)

I just repeated what I saw on another forum (would've been easier if we could link directly but oh well). So I take no credit whatsoever, especially since you guys are disabling a potential lawsuit-related device!

I have not even attempted this on my car yet....

CRaig
  • I thought it was just me. Before I bought my car I noticed my foot getting stuck under the dash (size 11.5 shoe). I even emailed Subaru and they said it wasn't a common complaint (sounds like they know about it).

I test drove it and didn't notice it much when actually driving (does happen though)... so I bought a 2.5i Ltd. My problem now is not so much my foot brushing against the plastic shield under the dash, but I am struggling to get used to the driving position.. I cannot believe the wheel does not telescope. I get to work stiff from not being relaxed because I have to extend my arms 1 to 2 inches further than other cars I drive and the head rest will not bend forward behind my head. And yes I have tried adjusting the seat every which way...I am almost 6' tall.

Of course Suburu is not going to say "sure...bring it in and we will put a slightly longer steering column in" so does anyone know if it's possible to modify the steering column length? Who would do it?
  • sdufordsduford Posts: 577
    I would highly recommend a portable Garmin unit. Some of them are excellent (better than the OEM ones), they are much cheaper, and you can take them with you when you rent a car or go hiking. You can also take it with you when you buy a new car.

I personally think that in-car navs are highly overpriced and overrated. Plus I tend to be in a rental car when I am in an area where I actually need it.
    Which ones have you tried?

How easy is it to add new destinations, and pre-program ones like home, work, dad's house, etc.

-juice
  • I have a Garmin IQue 3600 (bought in Fall 2003) which I absolutely LOVE. It is ~$450, but when you get the auto kit, extra memory and external antenna (at least 256MB), it comes out to around $600 or so. Even so, you get a full featured PDA with the latest Palm OS, a fantastic display. The navigation software is built in and you load maps via a plu-in to the Palm desktop. Pretty easy once you have done it a few times. Nav software is great and it is easy to program routes, etc... (voice guidance too).

I have a 2005 Outback XT and have not yet tried it in the car (used it all the time in my old SAAB and wife's Odyssey). The dash is fairly flat so it should sit nicely.

I use the IQue whenever I am driving somewhere I am not too familiar with - even if it is not being used for navigation, it is great to see where you are on a map.

The added bonus of using it in multiple cars makes it almost a no-brainer.

Fell free to email me if you ahve questions....
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    I'm going to try the seatbelt chime thing again. I think maybe what I've been doing wrong is not waiting for the first set of chimes to finish after starting the procedure.

While I would never drive without my seatbelt on (nor have I ever forgotten), the chime is annoying when I have my vehicle idling in Park and I've got a screaming toddler to put in her carseat!

Ken
  • Actually the process calls for beginning the cycle prior to the "welcome" beeper expiring. You will know you are in the groove so to speak when the chimes are interrupted. Also, be deliberate with the seatbelt clicking. Each time I visually kept my eye on the seatbelt light as I clicked in. This ensures that the seatbelt/computer recognizes the action.

Click in and out 20 times in under 30 seconds.
    Key off and out
    turn key start again 20 times.
    Key off and out.

Start car...no chimes!!! :-)
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    fastsuby, could you please send me an email? My address is in my profile.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

E-mailed you poisson.

-juice
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Okay, that's exactly what I've been doing in the past -- starting the process as soon as the initial chimes start (and before they end). I've got one hand on the seatbelt assembly and the other on the key just to get a jump start.

I also do deliberate clicks and have noted the seatbelt light go out with each one. The gretting chimes also get cut off whenever I insert the belt and I've noticed they stop after the first few buckle/unbuckles.

I haven't got a clue what I'm doing differently.

I'll get these chimes to stop yet!

Ken
  • emailed you KarenS