Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• sweet_subiesweet_subie Posts: 1,394
    any complaints with turbo lag ? or climate control ?
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,796
    I'll compare this to my Odyssey. You set a temp between 65 and 80 IIRC. The extremes will automatically go to max but will slow the fan as that temp is reached. There is a big button marked AC than turns the AC on and off manually but in auto mode the system will turn the AC on and off to reach the target temp. There is a big button marked auto that puts the system is full auto mode. There is a button to select which vents but that will disable the auto mode except for the fan. There is a fan control that will disable the fan speed but not the auto vents.

But it's actually the correct operation -- 66 is a target temp and 65 means no heat added in winter and max cool in summer.

Then the little display should say max heat or max cool - not 65 and 85. The latter is not intuitive. People see a temp and they expect it to be a target temp.

The "AC" indicator comes on and means that AC can kick in, but it's not necessarily on all the time.

My Ody will also do the same but if I hit the A/C button it displays A/C off.

With the Ody, I can manually control every aspect of the HVAC if I want or leave it alone at a certain temp and it does it's job.

Also, the Ody has 2 temp sensors. One is on top of the dash trying to sense heat on the windshield. The other is down by the driver's knee trying to sense interior temp. Maybe that's what the Subaru system needs.
  • tsytsy Posts: 1,551
    Funny. My ACC did something strange today. Hit the A/C button, turned it off, hit AUTO and it went into auto mode with the A/C off. I don't think I could do this again, because I don't remember the exact sequence. ;-)

I find that I use the semi-auto mode the most, and it seems to work just fine.

I don't think Subaru is the only one with problems with it's ACC. I played with a '05 Mazda 6 ACC last week- same problems. Maybe they are both made by the same company? ;-)

tom
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,455
    The worst is the purgatory mode

That is just hilarious. Sometimes it is really nice just to have manual controls....
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    Sounds like the Odyssey system is just like my wife's TSX.

I agree, Subaru should label the 65/85 extremes differently since they are certainly not interpreted as temperatures.

Subaru does have two sensors -- one sun sensor on the dash and one thermocouple/vent sensor by the driver's knee. I think it is the latter that is lacking -- seems to lag the true cabin temperature in many cases (and how bad varies a lot).

Fortunately, Subaru's ACC also has a full manual mode which I tend to use when I am skiing -- dressed up with thermals and wearing contact lenses makes me very finicky about HVAC. I normally set it to 66, with floor mode, fresh air, and fan on 1 for the whole trip. Seat heaters do the rest.

Craig
    I know, I tend to prefer full manual myself. I honestly don't have any huge gripes about ACC, but definitely prefer manual systems. In fact, the three knob arrangement in my WRX was ideal.

Craig
  • I've wet myself a couple of times laughing after reading about how the Outback turbo is "Scary Fast". So I thought I would give those people who think so a reference point.

http://www.dgtalpimp.com/m3_gtr_nurburgring.wmv

If the 250HP/3500lb Subaru Outback is considered "Scary Fast" what do you suppose the driver of the Porsche GT-2 Turbo thought when Hans Stuck blew buy him in his F-16?
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    Wow. Think he's driven that track a time or two?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Scary fast?

Well, in my review, I called the Legacy GT "stupid fast".

So I guess stupid is more fast than scary? ;-)

-juice
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    wow, that was insane fast! Only towards the end on one little turn did he get a bit squirrly. I can only imagine that to the onlookers and those in the cars he passed that he must have looked like a blur!

-Brian
  • You might want to avoid the OBXT I test drove. I managed to get all four tires to bark while reving the engine all the way up to the rev limiter. Oh, it had 30 miles on it. I think the salesman swallowed his tongue. It wasn't the right color, so I bought a different one.

Hey, the RPMs came up a lot faster than my F-150 truck...

TickMan
    Not sure what the reference is to, but the OB XT is certainly fast enough to get you in trouble on public roads. In fact, in practical everyday driving, it's faster than my WRX was.

Craig
  • Sorry, no insult intended. I just thought that since we all have different ideas of exactly what qualifies as "scary", that I would provide an interesting baseline for reference. I hope you all enjoyed the ride.
    When I carpool with my wife and she drives while getting energized from her morning coffee, that probably sets the bar for "scary fast" in my life!

Craig
    Tickman: what was that VIN, just in case I shop used? LOL

No biggie, a rev limiter will kick in if need be.

-juice
  • Does anyone have a feel for when/if Subaru may offer cash incentive on the Outbacks? I would buy if I could get the car at $500 under invoice and get some bucks back.

Matthew
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    With our 2.5i 4EAT sedan, we average about 25 MPG in a pretty even mix of city/hwy. And also depends on who drives it- I'm assuming that once I move out of the 'rents house in March, I'll return periodically and the Legacy will post better numbers... I tend to drive harder than my elders... when I can get my hands on the keys.

Also, efficiency seemed to improve after the first servicing, FWIW, and I'm hoping that we'll see another bump at 10,000 miles when the vehicle is TRULY broken in. (Also, differences in fuel oxygenation levels in the winter tend to deflate MPG in New Jersey, in my experience).

:)

~alpha
  • tsytsy Posts: 1,551
    That's so true, Craig. LOL. Scary doesn't necessarily have to be really fast! I'm sure I'm losing years off my life riding with my wife! ;-)

tom
    Well, you can definitely get the car for invoice, and better in some cases/models (probably not XT though). Check www.fitzmall.com -- they normally have good prices, and sometimes you can use them to talk your local dealer down.

It really depends on how well the cars are selling, and all the indications are that Outbacks are selling well.

Craig
    Legacy had a record year, so did Subaru.

Forester didn't carry any incentives for several years after its intro, I think they waited 4-5 years. So don't hold your breath.

-juice
  • With regards to having audio professionals install satellite radio: are you at all worried about either electrical or mechanical interference with all the airbags that are in the OBW now?

My friend and I installed a satellite antenna in my 97 VW Passat - with only 2 airbags, that was a piece of cake. But I'm more nervous that the audio installers could mess something up in my 05 Outback and I'd never know.
  • I've never had a car where removing the washer fluid was "difficult", including my 3 Forester's, but the dispersion system is very efficient, true.

I live in the Western NY area and use Prestone products - "Bugwash" between late May and late September and "DeIcer" during the other times. "Bugwash" is high in detergent, but will freeze easily because of low or non-existent alcohol level and "DeIcer" won't freeze up suddenly at Interstate speeds - the only one I've had that rarely freezes on contact, even though many cheaper products say they prevent re-freezing. "DeIcer" doesn't have much in the way of detergents, but in the winter, that's not a big concern, unlike summer.
    I just bought some stuff at WalMart marketing by RainX, the same guys that make the windshield treatments.

They advertise freeze protection up to -25 degrees F. No below freezing, mind you, so that's pretty good protection.

Oddly, it's pink in color. And it's supposed to have a trace of Rain X in it. I use Rain X anyway so let's see if they are more compatible and it lasts longer.

But really what I want is windshield washer fluid that doesn't freeze!

-juice

PS $2 at WalMart, we got 3 gallons and used 1.5 already
  • snowbirdsnowbird Posts: 120
    I have noticed that when I am driving on highways at around 65 mph and suddenly ease off the gas pedal (before I brake), the engine seems to stutter a little, as if the gears wanted to downshift. Has anyone noticed this before? It's certainly not a safety issue, (unlike 'hesitation' with some other cars when overtaking), but it's a little strange, because at this speed, why would the engine need to downshift? Would appreciate some insight. Thanks. Mine is just over 7,000 miles and had one dealer's service/oil change. Jason
    I wonder if it's the torque converter unlocking?? On the 5EAT, I think it can lock/unlock in 3,4,5.

What does the tach show when this happens?? Normally, you'd see a very slight decrease in RPM when it locks and a slight increase when it unlocks.

Craig
    My guess is the throttle-by-wire is closing the throttle completely to save gas.

-juice
  • snowbirdsnowbird Posts: 120
    Thanks, Craig and Juice... I guess whatever it was, it's not hurting the car (That was my main concern). Other than that, the car drives beautifully. Jason
  • I use the RainX washer fluid in my car. It works great - never freezes, and the rain just beads right off - no need to use RainX separately.
  • rwoodsrwoods Posts: 129
    My wife and I have no complaints with either turbo lag or the auto climate control. She has an Audi A4 3.0 which has a horrible auto climate control so the Subie appears great in comparison. And the Subie is vastly more responsive and powerful than the Audi A4. The Audi does have better brakes however. Actually both cars are fine and we plan to keep them for a long time. I do worry about the long term reliability of the German car but hope that by treating it with kid gloves it will behave. I don't harbor such fears with the Subie. It doesn't seem as finicky.

Bob
  • rwoodsrwoods Posts: 129
    I just purchased two bottles of concentrated anti freeze washer fluid (about 16 oz. each) to add to my windshield washer system on the advice of someone on this site. It has not got below freezing since I installed it so I've got nothing to report. Hopefully there will be no more problems.

Bob