Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That's the only real news so far for '06, unless they bring the Spec B model this model year.

-juice
  • I have been following this post for a few months. Can anyone tell me if the new 06 2.5i Limited is a good car for highway cruising? I drive 2K+ a month on major highways and often cruise around 75-80 mph. Is the four cylinder comfortable at this range? I wonder if the mpg would be the same as a 6 cylinder due to the fact that the 6 is not working as hard. I like both models and would rather deal with better mileage but don't want an engine that is being pushed to hard on the highway (4 cylinder).

Matthew
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    Hi Matthew,

I've owned two Subarus with the base H4 engine, and they cruise fine on the highway -- the engines are fairly relaxed at legal speeds. The 05+ Leg/OB are very refined, and cruise nicely no matter what engine, but the base H4 is quite good. For 06, you get a slight boost in power too.

In the previous generation Leg/OB I would have no problem recommending the H6 engine for economy -- I often got 28-30mpg in my 02 LL Bean Outback with the H6, which was as good or better than my previous 4 cylinder Outback. That was the 212HP H6, which was a nice engine. The 250HP H6 in the 05+ models is also a great engine, but a bit thirsty. I have my doubts that it could get up in the 28-30mpg range on a regular basis. In fact, at 75-80mph, I know it will not be able to. At lower speeds (55-65mph) even my Outback XT with the turbo gets decent mileage, but I would get run over on most highways...

Definitely take a test drive, I think you'll be pleased.

Craig
    Unless you are climbing long, steep hills, or driving at very high elevations, the base 2.5l engine should be just fine, and easily the most efficient choice.

To me the H6 is the best near-luxury choice, if your alternatives include quiet cars from brand like Lexus.

If you live a mile high, and climb mountains regularly, then get the turbo. :)

-juice
  • Thank you for the information. Helpful to have real world experience. I am going to test drive both engines but I think I will have a hard time justifying the 6. If I have to buy the 6 to get a sunroof, climate control, etc.. then it would be an easy choice. With the 2.5i Limited seems like all the good things are part of the package. I like the larger wheels that come with the 06 2.5i package. Last year that was my excuse to lean towards the 6. Did not like the smaller wheels on the 05's.

Kind regards,

Matthew
  • Hi Juice,

What is the spec B model?

Thank you, Matthew
  • I have an 05 Legacy 2.5i Wagon with a manual transmission. Driving a mix of hwy/city I have averaged 28-29 MPG, but I only have 2000 miles on it. The car moves right along at 75-80 MPH, and does not seem to strain at all to cruise at that speed. If legal, I think it'd do fine at 90 MPH. Yes, the turbo or 6 cyl. will get to speed more quickly, but at speed, the NA engine does quite well.
    The cost of -5 MPG and the requirement of premium fuel in the turbo and H6 models (I think the H6 requires premium) made my decision.
    You will likely be pleased with any of the engines, so enjoy whichever one you end up with.
    I would note that the Outbacks, and even the non-OB "limited" weight a bit more, so the base engine in them may feel a tad more sluggish than in the base 2.5i, however the 06 has a little more power.
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    averaging 28-29 mpg??

surely your highway / city mix is heavy on the highway. even then your mileage is quite exceptional... atypically so.

~Colin
    For that model, so it's possible if you drive more highway than city miles, sure.

Spec B is a model in Japan, B for Bilstein shocks that it has. 18" rims, and there it's on an H6 model with a manual transmission, a powertrain combo that we have not seen here yet.

However, the US might see only the suspension and rims, looks like ours will be a turbo, since those have proven popular here.

-juice
  • Hi - I posted earlier about subwoofer install and need some advice after making my first "mistake" - before even getting the thing out of my house!! I connected the 8-pin connector to the sub, to see how it would seat, only to find that it is now locked in. I'm looking for for advice on whether I'll have sufficient space and the right angle to thread the cable UP from the mounted sub to the exposed head unit, or whether I should cut the cable to the sub connector and thread it back down from the head unit. I could also disassemble the sub to see if I can free the locked connector but that seems risky. Any thoughts are appreciated.
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    the connector surely has a release clip. usually you push on it and open like a jaw (or clothespin, perhaps). sometimes you do have to pry something.

but it's usually not very complicated and very typical for automotive electrical connectors.

~Colin
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    Colin is right, the sub has a stadard plug with a release tab. Look a little closer at the connector and you will see it. I have installed/removed a couple of these subs and never ran into a problem getting the harness disconnected.

Craig
  • Probably 60% hwy. If I drive longer on the highway, with little city, it seems to get a bit over 30. I suspect it may even get better after a couple thousand more miles.
    The computer-calculated MPG seems to be within 1 MPG of what I calculate manually.
    I am pleased with the mileage.
  • Does anyone know whether there is an auxilliary input for the 05 Outback 2.5XT stock stereo and if so, how easy/difficult it is to access? I purchased a Lowrance iWay 500 GPS/MP3 player and want to hook it up to the aux input to get voice directions and MP3's through the stereo.
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    06 Legacy GT will be Unlimited only. No more standard Legacy GT with cloth, so if you want a GT it will have to be leather. It's off my short list.
    Shop for a bargain left over '05.

-juice
  • Owners of the '05 XT with cloth seating: What color is it exactly? The Subaru website just says "tweed flat woven" and the only pictures they show are with the Limited trim. The tiny color sample makes it look like a medium to dark gray, but when I do an inventory search at my dealer, the interior color comes up as black. So which is it? More of a black or more of a gray? Thanks.
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 685
    If it is the same as the GT, it is black.....and quite good looking.
  • I know the upscale trims have the radio integrated with climate control, making it difficult to upgrade with an aftermarket product. Does anyone know if the base model (2.5i) radio is easily upgraded?
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    I haven't seen one done yet on either model.
    I heard that it is possible, that the radio is not integrated with the climate control, but I too have not seen it done yet.

-juice
  • Saw a guy on craigslist.org in the SF bay area that's selling his 17 inch rims off of his OBXT 2005 for $450. Says he pulled them off the day he bought the car. Maybe you might be able to pick those up for your winter tires. My buddy does the same with his 2001 WRX, snow\mud tires for winter (going to Tahoe) on one set of wheels and regular tires on another set. I'll probably just keep my snow/mud tires on my 2005 Outback XT, as I live in a wet portion of the bay area, and will drive to Tahoe and Sacramento (wet in the winter) often to see my P's.
  • Unfortunately, I don't think the AC controls associated with the 2.5i base are compatible with the complicated electronics of higher ACC+radio options, but you could buy a radio from a junk yard & give it a try. They run around $275-350 at the few junkyards I've called. On the upside, since your AC & radio are separate, you can buy or have someone fab a replacement bezel for the AC controls and just put any old aftermarket stereo in its place. Oh yea, for '05 models you'll also need a metra adapter for the non-standard antenna plug, but that's pretty easy to get.

As far as aux-ins for the radio itself. There are boards people are making that allow you to piggy back onto the line level outs for the CD player. You have to play a silent CD so you don't hear two things at once, but it's clean audio (not FM modulated junk) and I'm pretty sure they work with 1CD, 6CD & 6CD+MP3 radios...although no one has tested the 1CD yet...could be wrong there, but they definitely work on 6CD & 6CD+MP3 in both 2005 and 2006 models.

Wish I could tell ya more, but rules are rules eh...
  • I apoligize if this topic has been beat to death already....

Has anyone successfully replaced the factory fogs on an 05 Outback with Hella 500s?

Thanks for the input.
  • Apparently Subaru is selling the '06 Legacy 2.5i with Yokohama Advan A82A (P205/50 R17 88V) tires according to subaru.ca. Can't find any info on these tires and they're not even on Yokohama's web site.
    Would appreciate any feedback / user experience on these tires. Thanks.
  • First a disclaimer...I know this sounds ridiculous.

I have had a few problems with my 05 GT LTD, now at 33k miles, starting with a ghost in the volume adjuster for my stereo, then the neutral lockout switch on my cruise, and then a not rough, but violent idle where the entire car was shaking. For this, they replaced the O2 sensor and cam pulley (wrong tension causing the engine to misfire), and the problem went away. One week later, the check engine light came on, which was diagnosed as the camshaft position sensor. I don't know if the violent idle and the cam sensor are related.

While I was in looking at extended warranties, the salesperson mentioned that another GT had been brought in, also with a violent shake. He said that they fixed it by replacing the synthetic with regular oil. I assume it is not mine about which he was speaking, since they didn't tell me they replaced the oil, but rather other parts instead.

So I walk back to the service desk, where the person tells me that SoA is recommending to its dealers not to put in synthetic oil, because "they don't know what the effects are." So at this point, I am thoroughly confused. I know alot of people put synthetic oil in, and I don't know why it would make any difference like this, much less cause the violent idle/shaking. I also don't know if the SoA bit is true.

I do know that I am seriously bothered by having all this happen in the first 33k miles. I was planning on having this car for 5-10 years. Now I am wondering what will the next 33k miles will bring...

Anybody have an opinion?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,704
    Most manufacturers won't openly support the use of synthetic for liability reasons. Like they stated in this case, they just don't know what will happen. The car was not tested long-term with synthetic, so they can't say its ok to use it.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• Any Outback owners care to chime in on whether the center armrest extension is a must-have accessory? Getting close to taking the plunge and trying to decide if I should get this thing or not? Thanks.
  • Unequivocally - YES. I put it in about 6 months ago. This past weekend I had a loaner Outback w/out the center armrest extension and it was very uncomfortable. This should be standard in my opinion.
  • Thanks fish. I'll negotiate it as part of the deal. Anything else I should consider as a must have? The car I'm looking at ('05 XT, 5-spd, non-Limited trim) is pretty much a stripper with the only options being the auto-dimming mirror w/ compass and floor mats.